Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
2001: A Space Odyssey 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.94
4 hrs ago
Samurai Jack: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.96
5 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Death of Superman (Blu-ray)
$17.96
20 hrs ago
DC Universe: 10th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$139.99

Hell Night (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 hrs ago
The Tree of Life (Blu-ray)
$22.00

Mission: Impossible III 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Rabid (Blu-ray)
$14.99
16 hrs ago
Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Terminal (Blu-ray)
$14.99
4 hrs ago
I Kill Giants (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems

Old 12-10-2016, 04:31 AM   #1

Jul 2009
Michigan
Default No Love for Datasat?

I want one.
Source: Xbox One
Pre-amp: Integra DHC-80.3
Amplification: Parasound Halo A51
Speakers: Wilson Audio Sophia Series 2
Television: Pionner PDP-5020FD
Power: Transparent PowerIsolator 8
Cables: Nordost Silver Screen HDMI x 2, Transparent MusicLink, MusicLink Ultra, Balanced MusicLink Ultra ,and Transparent MusicWave Ultra Speaker Cable
Old 12-10-2016, 05:11 AM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Unfortunately Datasat (formerly known as DTS) is for commercial use only. DTS (the home version) is encoded and utilized for home theater. audio.

Last edited by slimdude; 12-10-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:05 PM   #3

Jul 2009
Michigan

Datasat does make 2 processors for the consumer market. The RS20i looks to be a non-stripped down version of their industrial processor.
Cables: Nordost Silver Screen HDMI x 2, Transparent MusicLink, MusicLink Ultra, Balanced MusicLink Ultra ,and Transparent MusicWave Ultra Speaker Cable
Old 12-11-2016, 04:44 AM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizzap30 View Post
Datasat does make 2 processors for the consumer market. The RS20i looks to be a non-stripped down version of their industrial processor.
Well 100% of the Blu-rays are encoded with DTS and Dolby anyway (not Datasat), so owning a Datasat processor will be kinda pointless, unless they start encoding Blu-rays with Datasat soundtracks, which I don't see that happening anytime soon. Besides that RS20i processor literally cost an arm, leg and a foot. An average person can't even afford it. The RS20i is made, and catered to the rich, high class society, who have commercial size, luxurious, dedicated home theaters. A person will have to be filthy rich to buy a RS20i right now. Not only the Datasat processor, you will have to get the Datasat amplifier to go with it as well. You can't have the processor without the matching amplifier...So If you can afford a Datasat processor and a amplifier, then go for it....Personally I think DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD sounds good enough, without getting into approximately a $30,000.00 debt (including the amplifier) for a state of the art sound system. People want a lot of things, but don't necessarily need them! Like for an example: I can want a $200,000.00 Lamborghini Gallardo, when a $25,000.00 Chrysler 200 can get me where I want to go the same way as the $200,000.00 Lamborghini. The rich and famous waste a lot of their money just because it's plentiful. Do they really need to own a 60 room mansion with only one of two people living in it, and have multiple vehicles, when you only can drive one car at a time? A person have to use wisdom!

Last edited by slimdude; 12-12-2016 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:02 AM   #5

Jul 2009
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Well 100% of the Blu-rays are encoded with DTS and Dolby anyway (not Datasat), so owning a Datasat processor will be kinda pointless, unless they start encoding Blu-rays with Datasat soundtracks, which I don't see that happening anytime soon. Besides that RS20i processor literally cost an arm, leg and a foot. An average person can't even afford it. The RS20i is made, and catered for the rich, high class society, who have commercial size, luxurious, dedicated home theaters. A person will have to be filthy rich to buy a RS20i right now. No only the Datasat processor, you'll have to get the Datasat amplifier to go with it as well....So If you can afford it, then go for it....Personally I think DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD sounds good enough, without getting into approximately $30,000.00 debt (including the Datasat amplifier) for a state of the art sound system. A person can want a lot of things, but don't necessarily need them! For instance: I can want a $200,000 Lamborghini Gallardo, when a $25,000.00 Chrysler 200 can get me where I want to go the same way as the $200,000 Lamborghini. Rich people waste a lot of their money just because it's plentiful to them. Sometimes a person have to use wisdom!
So are you saying there are no performance differences whatsoever compared to other home theater processors even when using Dolby, DTS, or Auro-3D Encodings? If so, please prove it. Have you even heard a home theater with either the LS10 or the RS20i? If not, how can you even make a judgment unless it is solely based on a price? The RS-20i and the LS10 are not inexpensive nor are they cheaply made. But why disregard a item based on it's price? That's just ad hominem.

And no you do not need to use Datasat's Amplifiers. Datasat and some other companies do make breakout cables for the DIN connector to be converted to XLR terminations. So you could use any amplifier one chooses.

So for a person to be wise, they must not waste their money? Who gets to decide what is a waste and what isn't? The fact is there are people in many different socioeconomic standings and people have passions for many things. Some people have a passion for cars and have the means to pursue that hobby as some have the passion for music and home theater and the means to purchase systems that are not inexpensive but they see the value in the system as it connects to them at an emotional level. Great for them. But to infer that someone is foolish for spending their money they way they choose, is just not right. It's a false cause and a red herring.

Being that said, I have heard both the RS-20i and the LS10 and I think they are fantastic sounding processors and their version of Dirac Live does a really good job.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:08 AM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizzap30 View Post
So are you saying there are no performance differences whatsoever compared to other home theater processors even when using Dolby, DTS, or Auro-3D Encodings? If so, please prove it. Have you even heard a home theater with either the LS10 or the RS20i? If not, how can you even make a judgment unless it is solely based on a price? The RS-20i and the LS10 are not inexpensive nor are they cheaply made. But why disregard a item based on it's price? That's just ad hominem.

And no you do not need to use Datasat's Amplifiers. Datasat and some other companies do make breakout cables for the DIN connector to be converted to XLR terminations. So you could use any amplifier one chooses.

So for a person to be wise, they must not waste their money? Who gets to decide what is a waste and what isn't? The fact is there are people in many different socioeconomic standings and people have passions for many things. Some people have a passion for cars and have the means to pursue that hobby as some have the passion for music and home theater and the means to purchase systems that are not inexpensive but they see the value in the system as it connects to them at an emotional level. Great for them. But to infer that someone is foolish for spending their money they way they choose, is just not right. It's a false cause and a red herring.

Being that said, I have heard both the RS-20i and the LS10 and I think they are fantastic sounding processors and their version of Dirac Live does a really good job.
If you want a Datasat processor and can afford one, then go right ahead. If a person wants a Datasat processor, surely they would want a Datasat amp to match in sound quality, the same as if you're buying a set of speakers. Typically an audiophile would want matching speakers, equivalent processor and amp Why spend $23,000.00 on one piece of audio equipment, then $400.00 on the other. If I wanted a Datasat processor, I also would want a Datasat amplifier too! I wouldn't dare buy one without the other. A cheap amplifier will not benefit, nor do a $23,000.00 state of the art processor any justice. The processor will not perform to its fullest audio capabilities nor potential! There is no half steppin with me! Either I go all the way, or not at all.

Last edited by slimdude; 12-12-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:34 PM   #7

Dec 2007

The Datasat processors are BEAST!!!! Way too rich for my blood, but amazing all the same. I hear they've added support for Atmos and already support Auro3D. Chizzap30 - this gear is right down your ally. I know you're thinking about the Dirac Live two channel virtues as well (look at your system of course you want Dirac - only the best right?)

You may want look at some X.350's for power options ...but your current parasound is no slouch either.
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght and sides, Infinity fps-1000 rear and rear hght, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , 16:9 110", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:32 PM   #8
Special Member

Nov 2008
-
-
Send a message via ICQ to yellowcakeuf6

Get the LS10. It's only 11 grand.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:03 AM   #9
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo

I'd pass on the Datasat. It's an expensive albeit pretty boat anchor. If you're going big get the Trinnov. Or look into the Storm which also can do 32 channels like the Trinnov. And the Storm supports all 3D audio formats (Auro-3D, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X) unlike the Datasat. Just something to think about.

http://www.stormaudio.com/en/product...nd-processors/
When life gives you limes… make margaritas
Thanks given by:
Franin1 (06-03-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #10

Jul 2009
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I'd pass on the Datasat. It's an expensive albeit pretty boat anchor. If you're going big get the Trinnov. Or look into the Storm which also can do 32 channels like the Trinnov. And the Storm supports all 3D audio formats (Auro-3D, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X) unlike the Datasat. Just something to think about.

http://www.stormaudio.com/en/product...nd-processors/
So what makes you the authority to call a Datasat Processor a "boat anchor"?

Who needs 32 channels of audio? No consumer or pro-mix for movies is higher than 7.1.4 for Dolby ATMOS or 11.1 for Auro-3D.

Datasat does support all the 3D formats. Where are you getting your information from?

The Datasat units, specifically the RS-20i is upgradable via hardware and software.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:27 AM   #11
Expert Member

Dec 2008
NYC

I would also look into the Lyngdorf MP-50.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems