New: Black Friday Deals Week has started! Check out the Blu-ray Deals page » ×

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Now: Trolls (Party Edition) $11.08 (16% claimed)
Soon: War for the Planet of the Apes ()
Soon: The Boss Baby (Special Edition) ()
Soon: Logan ()
Soon: Captain Underpants: The First … ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Get Out (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Fate of the Furious 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Non-Stop (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Despicable Me 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Oblivion 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Nocturnal Animals (Blu-ray)
$7.96
The Mummy (Blu-ray)
$13.96
Keeping Up with the Joneses (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Girls Trip (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Jason Bourne 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.88
Warcraft 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #2941
Power Member

Apr 2012
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJulien View Post

I really do like DisneyView. I used it for the first time yesterday when watching Snow White.
+1, DisneyView is awesome. I watched the entirety of Fantasia with it and I barely even noticed that it wasn't fullscreen. Pure awesomeness.
Now if they had only included DisneyView on 101 Dalmatians.. but then again the black bars weren't so big on that one.
Disney Wishlist '14: Emperor's New Groove ● Frozen ● HerculesJungle Book ● Lilo and Stitch
Mary Poppins ● Robin Hood ● Tarzan ● Treasure Planet ● Wreck-it Ralph
--
Ghibli Wishlist '14: My Neighbor Totoro ● Kiki's Delivery Service ● Whisper of the Heart
Old 09-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #2942
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007

Quote:
For now, I'm happy with options. DVD to Blu-Ray isn't the massive upgrade that VHS to DVD was so it's understandable that people just aren't upgrading yet.
Here's an article that talks about the differences between VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray.

http://www.hifi-writer.com/he/vhstobd/index.htm
Old 09-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #2943
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Tallahassee, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
Here's an article that talks about the differences between VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray.

http://www.hifi-writer.com/he/vhstobd/index.htm
Visually and Audio-wise there's an upgrade, but DVD introduced things like scene selection, skips, bonus features on the menus in addition to the better picture. All things that the casual audience actually cared for that the VHS didn't offer.

I'm not discounting or trying to undermine Blu-rays. Blu-Rays have only just recently started offering a similar edge (compatibility with the internet and other tablets.)
Old 09-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #2944
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumny View Post
+1, DisneyView is awesome. I watched the entirety of Fantasia with it and I barely even noticed that it wasn't fullscreen. Pure awesomeness.
Alice, Bambi and Fantasia's were good, but they just weren't the pure "forget it's there" camouflage that Toby Bluth's borders were on Snow White and Pinocchio. They should get him back for Peter Pan.

Quote:
I agree. Personally my belief is that if anything is going to "phase out" DVD, it's going to be Streaming, not Blu-Ray. Even then though, that won't be happening anytime soon since you have to buy the physical copies if you want to get any bonus features.
Even though we know the idea of the DVD Copy didn''t really start so that you could "have one for your car player and laptop" (and no, you're not supposed to unscrew Oreos either), most laptops and mobile devices today are....streaming.
Which, with most of the folks, will raise the question in a couple years, just why ARE we getting the darn DVD's anymore?

DVD's aren't as widely sold, and only made now to put in Blu-ray boxes. If I can't give mine away, I just keep them as emergency computer backups, but that's because I'm a loyal Phyzzie.
The "on-the-go" mobile-media fan will have long since moved past them too.

Last edited by EricJ; 09-29-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #2945
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Tallahassee, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
Alice, Bambi and Fantasia's were good, but they just weren't the pure "forget it's there" camouflage that Toby Bluth's borders were on Snow White and Pinocchio. They should get him back for Peter Pan.

Even though we know the idea of the DVD Copy didn''t really start so that you could "have one for your car player and laptop" (and no, you're not supposed to unscrew Oreos either), most laptops and mobile devices today are....streaming.
Which, with most of the folks, will raise the question in a couple years, just why ARE we getting the darn DVD's anymore?

DVD's aren't as widely sold, and only made now to put in Blu-ray boxes. If I can't give mine away, I just keep them as emergency computer backups, but that's because I'm a loyal Phyzzie.
The "on-the-go" mobile-media fan will have long since moved past them too.
Thing about DVDs is you still a lot of people who buy things "on a budget." Blu-Rays typically come with most of the features, but there's plenty of people of who are only interested in just the movie, and if they can save $7 bucks they're going to go for it.

And plus, how many times have you heard the "I don't see the difference" argument in real life?
Old 09-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #2946
Power Member

Aug 2010
Quito, Ecuador

Another positive review for Cinderella:

http://www.blu-raydefinition.com/rev...ay-review.html
Old 09-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #2947
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007

Quote:
Thing about DVDs is you still a lot of people who buy things "on a budget." Blu-Rays typically come with most of the features, but there's plenty of people of who are only interested in just the movie, and if they can save $7 bucks they're going to go for it.

And plus, how many times have you heard the "I don't see the difference" argument in real life?
Funny thing was that a lot of people used the same arguments for DVD but we see that people eventually adopted the format even though many swore against it. Over time as more people adopt the blu-ray format prices will come down even further. Prices on blu-rays have already dropped quite a bit since inception.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #2948
Banned

Jul 2007

Quote:
Didn't mean people buying DVD's--especially since it's getting harder to find where they're actually sold--meant why are we still getting them for free?
Especially since Wal-Mart, UV, and all the other conspirators of the Evil Empire are pitching their product to "Those who just want the movie". (And if that's what you want, you get what you deserve.)

If anything, Streaming-purchase for "those who want the movies" seems to be pricing itself out of the market for those who'd fall for it:
I looked on both Wal-Mart's Vudu AND Best Buy's CinemaNow, and can't find a single recent Disney movie for rental--They're all available for purchase-only for $32-34.99, depending on which site....WHO ON PLANET EARTH buys movie-only disks for $34.99, without extras???
(Can't speak for Sony doing the same thing, but Disney is being deliberately punitive to shuffle streaming business over to its own Disney Anywhere site, for $14.99 purchase...Or five dollars if you buy the physical disk, or free if you buy the deluxe 3-disk physical version. )

And it wasn't until typing that that I realized, we've got the fatal sabotaging kill-switch for Streaming built right into the industry: Three of the Big Four for streaming--Vudu, Amazon and CinemaNow--just happen to be owned by major retail chains.
They'd like you to think they're "branching out into a new market", but we know what they're protecting, don't we?

Last edited by EricJ; 09-29-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #2949
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012

Quote:
Now if they had only included DisneyView on 101 Dalmatians.. but then again the black bars weren't so big on that one.
I haven't tried, but from what I've seen so far it'a not distracting and very faithful
Old 09-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #2950
Banned

Jul 2007

Quote:
(Um...did 101D come out on BD yet, or are we talking about a foreign version? )
Old 09-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #2951
Power Member

Apr 2012
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnds500 View Post
:/ I won't be surprised even if Blu-ray.com gives this a positive review as well.
I will be quite disappointed if Kenneth Brown (presuming he will be the reviewer) overlooks the issue. Then again, he has awarded 3/5 stars to razor-sharp presentations with one rather minor issue before. I really hope he notices it and slams Disney for it.
Disney Wishlist '14: Emperor's New Groove ● Frozen ● HerculesJungle Book ● Lilo and Stitch
Mary Poppins ● Robin Hood ● Tarzan ● Treasure Planet ● Wreck-it Ralph
--
Ghibli Wishlist '14: My Neighbor Totoro ● Kiki's Delivery Service ● Whisper of the Heart
Old 09-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #2952
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Athens, Greece

Quote:
I will be quite disappointed if Kenneth Brown (presuming he will be the reviewer) overlooks the issue. Then again, he has awarded 3/5 stars to razor-sharp presentations with one rather minor issue before. I really hope he notices it and slams Disney for it.
I don't know.. I don't know how noticeable the problem is if you aren't aware of it in the first place. If someone tells you "you know what? Disney has really screwed this restoration" and shows you some pictures then you can really tell the difference. If not, however, it would probably take some time for someone to notice the mistakes. Especially if you aren't familiar with the movie. We'll see.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #2953
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Omaha NE
-
-

Quote:
(Um...did 101D come out on BD yet, or are we talking about a foreign version? )
It is out in the UK. Also there is Tarzan and Peter Pan will be released in October, I believe.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #2954
Power Member

Aug 2010
Quito, Ecuador

Quote:
I don't know.. I don't know how noticeable the problem is if you aren't aware of it in the first place. If someone tells you "you know what? Disney has really screwed this restoration" and shows you some pictures then you can really tell the difference. If not, however, it would probably take some time for someone to notice the mistakes. Especially if you aren't familiar with the movie. We'll see.
Forgive me if this has been brought up before but what exactly is wrong with Cinderella?
Old 09-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #2955
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Allentown, PA

So what are the special features on the cinderella blu without the virtual vault????
Old 09-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #2956
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Athens, Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodermin View Post
Forgive me if this has been brought up before but what exactly is wrong with Cinderella?
No problem. Where should I start.. the restoration done on Cinderella is pretty bad. The use of whatever tools they used is so excessive that a lot of the line-art is completely gone. Overall you can tell there are problems with the picture in every single minute of the film - you are bound to notice something. It's not like a scene was restored wrongly and that's it.

You can go to the Disney Classics Screenshot Comparison thread and see for yourself.
Other useful threads
How Cinderella's 2005 Release was Restored Very Wrongly
CINDERELLA DVD - digital restoration gone too far?
Plus my post on the Cinderella thread has a few more pictures.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:30 PM   #2957
Power Member

Aug 2010
Quito, Ecuador

Quote:
No problem. Where should I start.. the restoration done on Cinderella is pretty bad. The use of whatever tools they used is so excessive that a lot of the line-art is completely gone. Overall you can tell there are problems with the picture in every single minute of the film - you are bound to notice something. It's not like a scene was restored wrongly and that's it.

You can go to the Disney Classics Screenshot Comparison thread and see for yourself.
Other useful threads
How Cinderella's 2005 Release was Restored Very Wrongly
CINDERELLA DVD - digital restoration gone too far?
Plus my post on the Cinderella thread has a few more pictures.
Wow thatís very disappointing! Thanks for the clarification. I wonder why many sites are giving this release top marks?
Old 09-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #2958
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Athens, Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodermin View Post
Wow thatís very disappointing! Thanks for the clarification. I wonder why many sites are giving this release top marks?
Same way they gave Home on the Range top marks?
Old 09-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #2959
Banned

Jul 2007

Quote:

Before I do, do we KNOW it's from an early copy of next Tuesday's BD, or did someone complain about the Platinum DVD, and just fan-gripe "Knowing Disney, they'll probably just recycle the old master like they did with Bambi, just watch, betcha"?

(And yes, the old master was pretty bad, but that's not what I'm buying, are you?)
Old 09-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #2960
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Athens, Greece

Quote:
Before I do, do we KNOW it's from an early copy of next Tuesday's BD, or did someone complain about the Platinum DVD, and just fan-gripe "Knowing Disney, they'll probably just recycle the old master"?

(And yes, the old master was pretty bad, but that's not what I'm buying, are you?)
You know the answer to that. I can't believe you don't. Being here and participating on discussions and such, it's impossible not to know the answer to this question.

But once again, as I have done in the past, I will direct you to the links that I posted where you can see that the images are taken directly from the BD and that no, it's not some far-fetched fan overreaction, or a conspiracy theory, but some picture-sourced facts - 1000 words each
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America