Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Home for the Holidays (Blu-ray)
$11.88
Night of the Living Dead (Blu-ray)
$27.37
Opera (Blu-ray)
$18.00
The Wire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
The Outsiders: The Complete Novel (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Blade Runner 2049 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Prep & Landing / Prep & Landing: Naughty vs. Nice (Blu-ray)
$8.99
The Silence of the Lambs (Blu-ray)
$30.37
Dreamcatcher (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Person of Interest: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.20
The Miracle Worker (Blu-ray)
$13.88
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-30-2012, 02:06 AM   #3401
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumny View Post
IMO that title belongs to Sleeping Beauty, if only because due to the different production values / animation Sleeping Beauty just ends up looking slicker.
Still think Fantasia was unbelievably good, though.
Actually, I would rate all of the Disney restorations of the Classic Gold Era five stars (Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, Bambi, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty) if not for a few pesky exceptions..

- I cannot get over the soft, fazed shots in Snow White even if they are part of the source material..
- Cinderella's transfer looks nice in motion, but like said before they didn't just clean this one, they violently threw acid over it.
Snow White did look soft and Sleeping Beauty looks soft on the site's screenshots
Old 12-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #3402

Jun 2012
The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelPrince1986 View Post
Regarding The Rescuers Down Under using a film source rather than the CAPS file... I finally got the Blu-ray and I'm wondering if they decided to go with a film transfer in order to have a bit more visual continuity with the first film?

I'm in no way sticking up for it, I would have much rather had a pristine version of the film from it's original source, but maybe the thought process is that it would have been a huge variation in picture clarity between the two films if they used an old film file for one and CAPS for the other.

Just a thought.
I appreciate that thought. I had the same one, actually. But honestly, I doubt Disney would think it through that far...
If they did, it would be logically correct, as those two really are direct sequels, whereas Fantasia 2000 and the original are not. Fantasia 2000 is in fact a follow up, show casing how much farther their skills had evolved over the last 60 years, so of course it should come from as good a source as they had, i.e. CAPS.

However, in case of RDU, I think it's more likely that most of the original CAPS files are gone. I believe that at first, CAPS was only meant as a system to create a source on film, not to be the source itself. Soon after, that notion changed of course.
Disclaimer: this is NOT a fact. It's just what I think has happened.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #3403
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy2 View Post
However, in case of RDU, I think it's more likely that most of the original CAPS files are gone. I believe that at first, CAPS was only meant as a system to create a source on film, not to be the source itself. Soon after, that notion changed of course.
I heard Toy Story had that problem when it was coming to DVD originally. That could be very true
Old 12-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #3404
Power Member

Apr 2012
Netherlands

Quote:
Then why did they have CAPS-sourced RDU clips on the "Waking Sleeping Beauty" Blu-Ray?

Try again
Disney Wishlist '14: Emperor's New Groove ● Frozen ● HerculesJungle Book ● Lilo and Stitch
Mary Poppins ● Robin Hood ● Tarzan ● Treasure Planet ● Wreck-it Ralph
--
Ghibli Wishlist '14: My Neighbor Totoro ● Kiki's Delivery Service ● Whisper of the Heart
Old 12-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #3405

Jun 2012
The Netherlands

Quote:
Then why did they have CAPS-sourced RDU clips on the "Waking Sleeping Beauty" Blu-Ray?

Try again
Why would they do ANYTHING!?... Clips are very rarely taken from THE source, just A source the clip maker happened to have access to.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:08 AM   #3406
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012

Quote:
Why would they do ANYTHING!?... Clips are very rarely taken from THE source, just A source the clip maker happened to have access to.
Don Hahn has exclusive access to the Disney Archives though, and it (Waking Sleeping Beauty) was his movie
Old 12-31-2012, 01:06 AM   #3407
Power Member

Mar 2011

Quote:

Try again
He said most of the files might be gone. Not all of them, in which case they might have certain parts of the film. Why they would only have parts i have no clue. Maybe when they took down the caps system in 2006 they lost parts of the movies source?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:22 AM   #3408
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfreak View Post
He said most of the files might be gone. Not all of them, in which case they might have certain parts of the film. Why they would only have parts i have no clue. Maybe when they took down the caps system in 2006 they lost parts of the movies source?
Like I said above didn't they have this problem with the first Toy Story when it first came out on DVD in 2000?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:43 AM   #3409
Power Member

Aug 2010
Quito, Ecuador

Maybe Iím more forgiving than others but the only transfer that has truly disappointed me so far is the one from The Fox and the Hound. I have found most Disney transfers (especially the ones from Waltís films) very pleasing (some good and some phenomenal) but overall, picture quality has not been an issue for me. Lack of bonus features has.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:41 AM   #3410
Special Member

Feb 2012
Freehold, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodermin View Post
Maybe Iím more forgiving than others but the only transfer that has truly disappointed me so far is the one from The Fox and the Hound. I have found most Disney transfers (especially the ones from Waltís films) very pleasing (some good and some phenomenal) but overall, picture quality has not been an issue for me. Lack of bonus features has.
Agreed. I have yet to watch a Disney bd that has disappointed. I was hoping that with each release, we would get at least 1 new bonus feature, but it seems all of the old ones aren't even guaranteed.
The Official Disney Animation Thread
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=195921
Old 12-31-2012, 02:45 AM   #3411
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafisher94 View Post
Agreed. I have yet to watch a Disney bd that has disappointed. I was hoping that with each release, we would get at least 1 new bonus feature, but it seems all of the old ones aren't even guaranteed.
Just the ones it seems like Disney's trying to get out before they phase-out bluray are getting no new bonuses
Old 12-31-2012, 02:56 AM   #3412
Power Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
I don't understand the hate for Fox and the Hound's transfer by people, because I honestly don't see anything majorly wrong with it, I can't even find the line people are talking about. Maybe I'm just not picky enough?
Old 12-31-2012, 04:22 AM   #3413
Power Member

Aug 2010
Quito, Ecuador

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfreak View Post
I don't understand the hate for Fox and the Hound's transfer by people, because I honestly don't see anything majorly wrong with it, I can't even find the line people are talking about. Maybe I'm just not picky enough?
I saw the line, is there and is pretty visible at times. If you watch it again, Iím sure youíll find it. And there are some inconsistencies (crushed blacks, etc.) throughout the film that makes me think Disney shouldíve put a little more effort into this one.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #3414
Power Member

Apr 2012
Netherlands

Quote:
I saw the line, is there and is pretty visible at times. If you watch it again, Iím sure youíll find it. And there are some inconsistencies (crushed blacks, etc.) throughout the film that makes me think Disney shouldíve put a little more effort into this one.
Some shots are extremely unfocused and blurry, and colors are inconsistent. And that gosh darn line, yes.
But on the overall, it really is not that much of an issue with me. Like you guys, I was way more annoyed by the surprising lack of bonus features.
Disney Wishlist '14: Emperor's New Groove ● Frozen ● HerculesJungle Book ● Lilo and Stitch
--
Ghibli Wishlist '14: My Neighbor Totoro ● Kiki's Delivery Service ● Whisper of the Heart
Old 01-01-2013, 01:42 AM   #3415

Feb 2012
Austria

Quote:
Some shots are extremely unfocused and blurry, and colors are inconsistent. And that gosh darn line, yes.
But on the overall, it really is not that much of an issue with me. Like you guys, I was way more annoyed by the surprising lack of bonus features.
This.

I watched the movie for the first time of my life and yes, I could easily spot them all.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #3416

Sep 2012
The Anthill

If I want to replace the cases so the discs won't be stacked anymore but still have the slipcover fit, which if these would be the right ones, if any of them?

http://stores.casetopia.com/-strse-1...ray/Detail.bok

http://stores.casetopia.com/-strse-1...ase/Detail.bok

any help or info would be appreciated...
Old 01-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #3417
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011
Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored Gaymer View Post
If I want to replace the cases so the discs won't be stacked anymore but still have the slipcover fit, which if these would be the right ones, if any of them?

http://stores.casetopia.com/-strse-1...ray/Detail.bok

http://stores.casetopia.com/-strse-1...ase/Detail.bok

any help or info would be appreciated...
I've used the Viva Elite 3 disc cases to replace a few of the cases with stacked discs. They fit the slipcover.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #3418

Sep 2012
The Anthill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexxriot View Post
I've used the Viva Elite 3 disc cases to replace a few of the cases with stacked discs. They fit the slipcover.

Thanks a bunch! Is it the exact size, so the slipcover won't be too tight/loose around the case?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #3419
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011
Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored Gaymer View Post
Thanks a bunch! Is it the exact size, so the slipcover won't be too tight/loose around the case?
Yep, same dimensions. Now if only someone would make a 4 disc case the same size.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #3420
Power Member

Apr 2012
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexxriot View Post
Yep, same dimensions. Now if only someone would make a 4 disc case the same size.
What about the 2 disc case? Does that one fit too!?
--
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America