Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Airport: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Band of Brothers (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Airwolf: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99
The Pacific (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Batman: The Killing Joke (Blu-ray)
$17.96
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 3D (Blu-ray)
$31.99
True Detective: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Hateful Eight (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Person of Interest: The Complete Fifth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
$33.10
Rick and Morty: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$21.99
Only Yesterday (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Blu-ray)
$22.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #181
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Those encodes are CBR as I understand it, i.e. there's no optimisation there whatsoever. Even if you had a commercial UHD BD with an average 50 mb/s data rate you'd get better results than this with a VBR encode that's tuned to the demands of the source.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #182
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I KEEL YOU View Post
Saw this in another thread here:

Native 4K web rip vs Japanese 4K mastered blu ray

Not quite the same frame. Gotta admit, compared to the Dracula one there's definitely some notable difference in detail here. Still clearly not as much as a DVD vs blu ray difference though.

Looks like that even though it's encoded in HEVC and has a 50 mbps bit rate, it still has compression issues. Even though UHD blu ray can have bit rates as high as 100 mbps, because it's only limited to 100 GB per disc, very long movies like Lawrence of Arabia won't even be able to run on 50 mbps if they're limited to a single disc.
I have had the JP disc for several months now and have watched it a few times. It's amazing how much better it is than the U.S. disc in terms of grain, fine detail, and color saturation.
Thanks given by:
Bluyoda (02-13-2016)
Old 11-19-2015, 01:36 PM   #183
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Those encodes are CBR as I understand it, i.e. there's no optimisation there whatsoever. Even if you had a commercial UHD BD with an average 50 mb/s data rate you'd get better results than this with a VBR encode that's tuned to the demands of the source.
Yup.
But not all are CBR and most are reencoded creating all new issues.
This is good looking but there is some macroblocking going on
Revionist audio and video is for the cheap seats
Physical media Fo lyfe.
The Scott Bros. do no wrong.
Dolby Vision is a company grasping at relevance.
Bring back and refine SXRD displays.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:37 PM   #184

Dec 2013
Netherlands

The 4K remastered version (in 1080p and not native 4K) was added to the Dutch Netflix today. Aside from the low bit rate and compression artifacts it looks pretty nice.

Another title from the Sony catalog, Jerry Maguire was also added to the Dutch Netflix today, but it's the old master for 1080p streaming and for some reason the 4K remastered version seems to be available only for 4K Netflix streaming.

Last edited by NLScavenger; 11-20-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #185
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Dagobah

So, when do you guys think the mi4k BD will se a release in the US?
I want the upgrade, but I can wait. The question is how long they will make us wait.
When are they gonna release these movies on BD?:Crossroads (W. Hill; Steve Vai),Fun with Dick & Jane (Jim Carrey, Tea L.), Man on the Moon (Jim C.),Diana Krall-LiveattheMontrealJ.F., Alien Autopsy,Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys (Jodie Foster),Housesitter(Steve M., Goldie H.),Bowfinger (S. M.), Shopgirl (S. M.),OutofTowners (S.M.),Spanglish,Odd Couple 2 (Jack L., Walter M.),Wallace and Gromit-The Curse of the Were-Rabbit,
Old 11-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #186
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluyoda View Post
So, when do you guys think the mi4k BD will se a release in the US?
I want the upgrade, but I can wait. The question is how long they will make us wait.
Why wait? CDJapan still has the BD for $11 or about $15 shipped: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/BLU-14594
Thanks given by:
Bluyoda (02-13-2016)
Old 11-29-2015, 01:19 PM   #187
Expert Member

Dec 2011
Australia

This movie was finally released on Bluray here in Australia in July. I'm wondering since it was such a late release if it's from the 4K transfer? Total bitrate is over 26mbps and the back of the case has the "Perfect Picture & Purest Digital Sound" slogan which is typical of other Sony 4K transfers...

Anyone know?
Old 11-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #188
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightopian View Post
This movie was finally released on Bluray here in Australia in July. I'm wondering since it was such a late release if it's from the 4K transfer? Total bitrate is over 26mbps and the back of the case has the "Perfect Picture & Purest Digital Sound" slogan which is typical of other Sony 4K transfers...

Anyone know?
It's not, I posted about this a few days before the official release date:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=39205
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (multi-region), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony ultimate remote + hub
Old 11-29-2015, 03:28 PM   #189
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013
Scotland

So, the Aussies got stuck with an old transfer, despite a 4K master having been released in Japan earlier this year? That's taking the pee. Sony AU hang your heads in shame.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:15 AM   #190
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Dagobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by I KEEL YOU View Post
Saw this in another thread here:

Native 4K web rip vs Japanese 4K mastered blu ray

Not quite the same frame. Gotta admit, compared to the Dracula one there's definitely some notable difference in detail here. Still clearly not as much as a DVD vs blu ray difference though.

Looks like that even though it's encoded in HEVC and has a 50 mbps bit rate, it still has compression issues. Even though UHD blu ray can have bit rates as high as 100 mbps, because it's only limited to 100 GB per disc, very long movies like Lawrence of Arabia won't even be able to run on 50 mbps if they're limited to a single disc.
The native 4k web rip looks very artifically sharpened to me, introducing artifacts.

I just received my Mi4k disc. For a moment I was worried I got the wrong edition, since this one doesn't even have the Mi4k banner, but a quick check relieved my concerns.

Looking forward to enjoying it on BD again.
When are they gonna release these movies on BD?:Crossroads (W. Hill; Steve Vai),Fun with Dick & Jane (Jim Carrey, Tea L.), Man on the Moon (Jim C.),Diana Krall-LiveattheMontrealJ.F., Alien Autopsy,Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys (Jodie Foster),Housesitter(Steve M., Goldie H.),Bowfinger (S. M.), Shopgirl (S. M.),OutofTowners (S.M.),Spanglish,Odd Couple 2 (Jack L., Walter M.),Wallace and Gromit-The Curse of the Were-Rabbit,
Old 02-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #191
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.

I will be watching my JP Mi4K disc either today or tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:58 PM   #192
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Tulsa, OK (formally S. Wales)

I just bought this on Amazon. Been watching the DVD for years and I figured it was time to upgrade.

Looking forward to this.
Home Theater Gear
Projector: Epson Home Cinema 3020
Screen: Silver Ticket 120" 16:9
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V675 7.2 Channel
Speakers: Infinity Primus Three-way dual 6-1/2-Inch Floorstanding Speaker / Infinity Primus Two-way dual 5-1/4-Inch Speaker
Subwoofer: Polk Audio PSW110 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer
Blu-Ray Player: Sony S1200 Multi System Region Free Blu Ray Disc Player
Old 02-01-2016, 06:03 PM   #193

Oct 2007
Quincy, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler The Slag View Post
I just bought this on Amazon. Been watching the DVD for years and I figured it was time to upgrade.

Looking forward to this.
Amazon Japan I hope..? If not cancel and get the JP version as the American version is sourced from an old master.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #194
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Dagobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler The Slag View Post

Looking forward to this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
Amazon Japan I hope..? If not cancel and get the JP version as the American version is sourced from an old master.
What he said.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:25 PM   #195
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Dagobah
Smile

Finally got around to watching the Mi4k disc today, and it completely obliterates the old US edition. The screencaps really don't do it justice at all.
It looks incredible. I also did some comparisons, and the old BD looks like processed crap by comparison. Not even a contest.
An easy 4,5/5 for PQ. The sound quality was great too. This was the first time I experienced it in surround sound, so I don't know whether the sound has been remastered too. I guess not.

Regarding the Mi4K disc:
Has anyone else noticed a line on the right hand side about 10 pixels in, which starts at 1:11:35 until 1:14:56? It looks like some analogue print line to me.
It's not very distracting. I just noticed it.

So happy I upgraded.

I am writing a short review on here now.

Get this one NOW!
Old 02-13-2016, 08:51 PM   #196
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I sold it because I think the colour's fubar (skin tones keep veering into this weird jaundiced yellow) but yeah, the improvement in the Mi4K is not subtle otherwise.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:55 PM   #197
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Dagobah

Quote:
I sold it because I think the colour's fubar (skin tones keep veering into this weird jaundiced yellow) but yeah, the improvement in the Mi4K is not subtle otherwise.
You sold it? How will you be watching this movie in the future?

The skintones look weird in the US release too.

I didn't think it was yellowish, more like super pale at times.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:56 PM   #198
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2010

Quote:
Really? Will check the 4k after I finish watching sixteen candles
Physical media Fo lyfe.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:59 PM   #199
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluyoda View Post
You sold it? How will you be watching this movie in the future?

The skintones look weird in the US release too.

I didn't think it was yellowish, more like super pale at times.
Yes, that's kinda the same effect I'm talking about, it drains the colour from people's faces, even their lips. There's definitely a scene or two like that in the original US Blu-ray too (when Murray's sizing up the 'bank job'), but the effect is much too pervasive in the remastered JPN disc for my liking. It's a shame because it's beautifully film-like otherwise.

The original BD of Bad Boys suffered from the same problem which was thankfully corrected for the Mi4K re-release, seems to be the other way around with Groundhog Day though.

Mike: I dunno if the actual 4K version will suffer from the same problem, something could've changed during the downsampling of one to the other.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:00 PM   #200
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2010

Quote:
Yes, that's kinda the same effect I'm talking about, it drains the colour from people's faces. There's definitely a scene or two like that in the original US Blu-ray too, but the effect is much too pervasive in the remastered JPN disc for my liking.

The original BD of Bad Boys suffered from the same problem which was thankfully corrected for the Mi4K re-release, seems to be the other way around with Groundhog Day though.

Mike: I dunno if the actual 4K version will suffer from the same problem, something could've changed during the downsampling of one to the other.
Maybe, fury has the black crush for example but my best friends wedding does not
Physical media Fo lyfe.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America