Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$55.95
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.95
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Game of Thrones - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Red Cliff Part I & II (Blu-ray)
$13.39
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.91
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 10-20-2014, 10:03 PM   #2841
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
Seems doubtful, but will admit that there will be some time before we see the Buu saga on Blu-ray. But I doubt it will be as long as 2 years or longer before that happens if Toonami will only show 1 episode a week.
With most of the filler removed, I was thinking it would only take a few months before we would see the Buu Saga.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #2842
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ,deeii View Post
All the seasons (like this one; http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dragon...Blu-ray/85277/ ) are region free right? I just want to be 100% sure before I order them...
They are not Region-Free since Funimation hasn't made a Region-Free Blu-ray since their 1st Blu-ray. But that link does show the back cover saying that it covers Region A and B, so you should be ok as long as you don't have a Region C Blu-ray Player.
IGN and RPGamer- Ar tonelico II Best PS2 Game Award for 2009
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel out now

Old 10-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #2843
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamelessFanGirl View Post
With most of the filler removed, I was thinking it would only take a few months before we would see the Buu Saga.
I estimate we will see the Buu Saga on Blu-ray probably this next coming Summer. Spring is a maybe, but not going to hold my breath on it. For Toonami's broadcast probably in like 2016 or 2017.
IGN and RPGamer- Ar tonelico II Best PS2 Game Award for 2009
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel out now

Old 10-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #2844
Special Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ,deeii View Post
All the seasons (like this one; http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dragon...Blu-ray/85277/ ) are region free right? I just want to be 100% sure before I order them...
It's Region A and B but the DBZ Season Blu-ray release is below average (so to say, just better than the Orange Bricks) so it's not really ideal for people who want a high quality release but if you're looking for a budget release this is it.

Quote:
Saying this means you've not been following the Majin Boo arc of Kai since it has A LOT of filler (whether it's the Japanese or the Final Chapters -- aka, the international edition).

There's two versions of Dragon Ball Kai's Majin Boo arc:

Japanese cut: 48 Episodes (it slashes down the filler but the pace & editing is also ruined while at it and it has different OP/ED songs)

Final Chapters: 69 Episodes (the intended version of Majin Boo arc of Kai with all the filler intact which was removed from the Japanese cut and exclusive OP/ED songs)

Quote:
I estimate we will see the Buu Saga on Blu-ray probably this next coming Summer. Spring is a maybe, but not going to hold my breath on it. For Toonami's broadcast probably in like 2016 or 2017.
The first set is out in Japan already and this is what it looks like:

[Show spoiler]

Old 10-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #2845
Expert Member

Dec 2011
The Room of Space and Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
It's Region A and B but the DBZ Season Blu-ray release is below average (so to say, just better than the Orange Bricks) so it's not really ideal for people who want a high quality release but if you're looking for a budget release this is it.

Saying this means you've not been following the Majin Boo arc of Kai since it has A LOT of filler (whether it's the Japanese or the Final Chapters -- aka, the international edition).

Japanese cut: 48 Episodes (it slashes down the filler but the pace & editing is also ruined while at it and it has different OP/ED songs)

Final Chapters: 69 Episodes (the intended version of Majin Boo arc of Kai with all the filler intact which was removed from the Japanese cut and exclusive OP/ED songs)

[Show spoiler]

Judging by those images is it gonna be in 16:9?

When you say Japanese cut do you mean the broadcast version?
"I guess we were all just hungry"- Joe Toy
"good will always triumph"- Kai
“Cause thats what real brothers do whether their blood relatives or not they look out for each other. Those guys may have been related, but they weren't brothers there's a difference.”-Tom Mason
Old 10-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #2846
Special Member

Apr 2011

Yeah it'll be 16x9 AR (widescreen) for all.

The Japanese cut is the one currently airing in Japan and was cut down as somewhat of an improvement from the Final Chapters but at the same time it's a sloppy mess (pace/editing is sometimes awful and there were episodes that were exactly the same as in Z).
Old 10-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #2847
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2009
Netherlands SteelBooks™: 82

Quote:
They are not Region-Free since Funimation hasn't made a Region-Free Blu-ray since their 1st Blu-ray. But that link does show the back cover saying that it covers Region A and B, so you should be ok as long as you don't have a Region C Blu-ray Player.
Quote:

Thanks for the info guys!
Andy.

A world of pounding beats, pure melodies, and euphoria. A State of Trance.

tonight is forever.

PSN; deeii91
Old 10-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #2848
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Kentucky

Quote:

[Show spoiler]

You're right about that. I have not been following the Buu Saga for two reasons. One I don't know of where to find the episodes, and two, I don't care very much for subtitled anime. Though thank you for the information, I very much appreciate it.

Also, thank you for the screenshots. They look decent overall but you can tell the quality don't look as nice as the other previous BD releases of Kai. I hope that when we finally get it over here in the U.S that it will better than this.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #2849
Special Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Also, thank you for the screenshots. They look decent overall but you can tell the quality don't look as nice as the other previous BD releases of Kai. I hope that when we finally get it over here in the U.S that it will better than this.
Kai 1.0 looked better because it was properly remastered (as good as it gets per the company's standards) by Q-TEC whereas Kai 2.0 remaster was by Toei's in-house team so it's not up to Kai 1.0 level of picture quality.

And you better forget FUNimation "bettering" anything because if they ever do then it's with Dragon Ball Z and as you've seen they just make it look worse than it is, so it's ideal for them to leave Kai 2.0 intact as it is.

The only minor issue with Kai 2.0 in terms of picture quality is that it has green tint but it's solvable by tweaking the colours on the HDTV.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:52 AM   #2850

May 2010
British Columbia

Personally I can't tell the difference picture quality wise between Kai and Kai Buu Saga. If you put screenshots side by side then I would notice. Also just watched Goku turn SS3 on Kai this week. NEVER GETS OLD.

Last edited by rollinwith26s; 10-22-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #2851
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Kentucky

Quote:
Kai 1.0 looked better because it was properly remastered (as good as it gets per the company's standards) by Q-TEC whereas Kai 2.0 remaster was by Toei's in-house team so it's not up to Kai 1.0 level of picture quality.

And you better forget FUNimation "bettering" anything because if they ever do then it's with Dragon Ball Z and as you've seen they just make it look worse than it is, so it's ideal for them to leave Kai 2.0 intact as it is.

The only minor issue with Kai 2.0 in terms of picture quality is that it has green tint but it's solvable by tweaking the colours on the HDTV.
The only release of Dragon Ball Z that they got right was the Level Sets and regrettably those got cancelled. As for the Kai 2.0 yeah I noticed the green tint in the screen shots, which is a bit distracting but your right, adjusting your television will fix that problem quickly.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #2852
Special Member

Apr 2011

The only good thing that the Seasons have going for it, are the colours and even that successful managed to screw it up (too red/pink).

Comparison below:

[Show spoiler]Screens by ShinGaijin.

FUNimation DBZ Season Blu-rays

Toei Animation Majin Boo arc of Kai

Did you notice the loss of detail (as such is Base the Great Saiyaman Gohan's chest) and the blurriness on the FUNimation remaster? Now compare that to the Toei Majin Boo remaster and all that's intact in comparison.

Regardless of the colours being green-ish on Toei's remaster, that's fixable (just tweak a bit it on your HDTV and you're good to go) so not really a deal breaker.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #2853
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Kentucky

Quote:
The only good thing that the Seasons have going for it, are the colours and even that successful managed to screw it up (too red/pink).

Comparison below:

[Show spoiler]Screens by ShinGaijin.

Did you notice the loss of detail (as such is Base the Great Saiyaman Gohan's chest) and the blurriness on the FUNimation remaster? Now compare that to the Toei Majin Boo remaster and all that's intact in comparison.

Regardless of the colours being green-ish on Toei's remaster, that's fixable (just tweak a bit it on your HDTV and you're good to go) so not really a deal breaker.
Yeah, I noticed it. You know, I was thinking of getting the Season Set Blu-rays but now I think I will pass on them. I have heard complaints that neither the audio or the colors are consistent through from release to release so I may just pick up the rest of kai and finish that out and then pick up the Buu Saga when its released.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:25 PM   #2854

May 2010
British Columbia

Quote:
Yeah, I noticed it. You know, I was thinking of getting the Season Set Blu-rays but now I think I will pass on them. I have heard complaints that neither the audio or the colors are consistent through from release to release so I may just pick up the rest of kai and finish that out and then pick up the Buu Saga when its released.
I like this idea. Kai is the only DBZ on Blu-ray that I acknowledge.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #2855
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

lol this had to pop up going to be starting the saga over again 5th time
Because it's easier to have courage from a safe distance away.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:24 PM   #2856
Special Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Kai's Majin Boo arc supposedly will be separated from the first portion, so in a way, it'll feel like a series of its own.

And hence that it has a title of its own: The Final Chapters

It's worth noting that the French broadcast episode of Majin Boo arc Kai was numbered as "1" so it may mean they're really going with 01-69 than 99+.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #2857
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinwith26s View Post
I like this idea. Kai is the only DBZ on Blu-ray that I acknowledge.
+ 1 I agree completely with this. I was going to buy the Season Sets because I wanted the series in its entirety again though I think that I will hold out. I am sure this will not the be the last time that FUNimation will release the series on BD and hopefully next time we will get it in its original 4:3 aspect ratio.

Quote:
Kai's Majin Boo arc supposedly will be separated from the first portion, so in a way, it'll feel like a series of its own.

And hence that it has a title of its own: The Final Chapters

It's worth noting that the French broadcast episode of Majin Boo arc Kai was numbered as "1" so it may mean they're really going with 01-69 than 99+.

Interesting. Yeah, I had seen that on one of the opening credits I think where it had it listed as "the final chapters" so that's kinda cool. Also, I imagine that when they release the Buu Saga on BD that they will do the Parts first just like the others and then after they finish that then they will bring out the Season Set.
Old Today, 11:18 AM   #2858

Jan 2013

Lot of season 8 videos.
I should be getting my copy some time today. If you want screen shots let me know.
This is some cool behind the scenes. It really got me into the mind of Toei animation and how they think. Funimation is doing a great job with the extras.

Last edited by DoubleGulpShrimp; Today at 11:28 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime