Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Ghost in the Shell 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.98
 
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.91
 
Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
National Parks Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
 
Monster House 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.24
 
Hotel Transylvania 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.09
 
Jack the Giant Slayer 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.50
 
Brave 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.35
 
Thunder and the House of Magic (Blu-ray)
$8.99
 
Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99
 
Finding Nemo 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.35
16 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2015, 05:25 PM   #81
Robert Siegel Robert Siegel is offline
Power Member
 
Robert Siegel's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
2292
60
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws3dfan View Post
I just pre-ordered this from Amazon, another classic 80's 3-D film I can scratch off of my list for 3-D BluRay. Now we need JAWS 3-D and FRIDAY THE 13th part 3


I would also love to see these:

The Ant Bully (shown at Imax 3d)
Tales of the Third Dimension (1984)
Metalstorm (1983)
Spacehunter (1983)
Parasite (1982)
Revenge of the Creature (1955)
It Came from Outer Space
Miss Sadie Thompson
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bavanut (09-15-2015), jaws3dfan (09-16-2015), Mao (09-15-2015), mar3o (09-21-2015), Paul H (09-15-2015), revgen (09-15-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 12:16 AM   #82
Interdimensional Interdimensional is offline
Special Member
 
Interdimensional's Avatar
 
Nov 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws3dfan View Post
I am pretty sure this will be the "Noir" version that Tony Anthony and Alamo were showing a couple years ago.
Is Comin' At Ya! Noir the same as Comin' At Ya! ...Agin'?

I'd prefer the original release, I like films to reflect the era they were produced in with all the artifacts and technological limitations of the time.

I suppose whatever we get is what we're stuck with.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:26 AM   #83
Richard--W Richard--W is offline
Expert Member
 
Richard--W's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws3dfan View Post
I am pretty sure this will be the "Noir" version that Tony Anthony and Alamo were showing a couple years ago.

What exactly is the "noir" version? how does it differ from the theatrical release?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:34 AM   #84
Robert Furmanek Robert Furmanek is offline
Special Member
 
Robert Furmanek's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Default

Lots of black and white scenes with color effects:

http://www.hitfix.com/videos/comin-a...extended-promo

I hope they put as much money into fixing the alignment as they did with the "noir" alterations.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bavanut (09-16-2015), GKintz (09-16-2015), revgen (09-16-2015), Taygan315 (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 02:01 AM   #85
revgen revgen is online now
Special Member
 
revgen's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
Southern California, USA
11
Default

If that's the version on the disc, then I definitely do not want it.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bavanut (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 03:12 AM   #86
bavanut bavanut is offline
Senior Member
 
bavanut's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Burbank, California
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Furmanek View Post
Lots of black and white scenes with color effects:

http://www.hitfix.com/videos/comin-a...extended-promo

I hope they put as much money into fixing the alignment as they did with the "noir" alterations.

Thank you for linking to that video, Bob. The reworked color seems to be dished out here and there according to some private whim of the meddler, and looks thoroughly ridiculous.

I know I've spent quite a bit of time and energy lately, in this very thread, acting as an apologist of sorts for Optimax III and Bill Bukowski. But one would think that one look at the dailies would have convinced Tony Anthony and his colleagues to scale back the aggressive negative parallax just a tad. Having never before seen Comin' At Ya! in honest-to-goodness, full color 3-D, I can already picture how dreadful some of those shots are going to look in stereo, given the aslant lens arrangement. And now this pretentious meddling with the color palette will make the film that much less watchable. Yikes.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
GKintz (09-16-2015), Paul H (09-16-2015), revgen (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 03:50 AM   #87
Richard--W Richard--W is offline
Expert Member
 
Richard--W's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Furmanek View Post
Lots of black and white scenes with color effects:

http://www.hitfix.com/videos/comin-a...extended-promo

I hope they put as much money into fixing the alignment as they did with the "noir" alterations.

They can't be serious. Who is responsible for this "noir" corruption.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bavanut (09-16-2015), mar3o (09-21-2015), Paul H (09-16-2015), revgen (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 07:06 AM   #88
Movieman66 Movieman66 is offline
Senior Member
 
Movieman66's Avatar
 
Jan 2015
784
15
Default

To possibly calm some fears about the version of Comin' At Ya! that is being released, the product page for the film on the MVD Entertainment Group's website says this:

•New frame by frame digital conversion of the polarized over-and-under format of the original print into RealD digital format and new 5.1 DD surround sound.

So, it seems that they are using the original 1981 theatrical release version and not the 3D "Noir" version that was released a few years back.

Just wanted to put that out there.

Last edited by Movieman66; 09-16-2015 at 07:16 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:17 AM   #89
8traxrule 8traxrule is offline
Expert Member
 
Jul 2009
Default

Quote:
Voyage Of The Dawn Treader looks good to me in 1.78:1, as indeed do Jumper and I, Robot (though to a lesser extent). I normally avoid cropped films like the plague but the aspect ratio changes on these actually help the 3D.
Priest was censored for the American market (green blood etc) so I don't see why you'd want to avoid the uncut 3D blu ray. It's simply the same version as the rest of the world has.
Saw 3D is one of those rare cases where a 3D movie gets an uncut home 3D release. That's reason to buy it if you ask me! It annoys me that uncut versions of Hansel & Gretel, Harold & Kumar, The Wolverine and Days Of Future Past are only available in 2D.
I simply want the SAME version that was shown in theaters- doesn't matter which one is "better", if they want to include more than one version that's great but the first one I want to see is the one I would have seen in theaters. But you're saying "Priest" was shown that way in theaters everywhere else in the world? I might still buy it if that's so, though I'd still like to see the US theatrical version with it.

I don't buy 2D-to-3D conversions of movies that weren't shown that way in theaters either, at least unless it comes with or I already have the original 2D versions. I reviewed "Jumper" in 3D for another site and it was pretty good for what it was, though I don't know why that didn't include the regular disc with it given the useless extra discs (2D DVD, etc) that come with many Fox titles.

If they want to include BOTH versions of Comin At Ya I'm fine with that, but I probably won't buy it if it's just that "Noir" version.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
revgen (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 08:37 AM   #90
the13thman the13thman is offline
Moderator
 
the13thman's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
London, England
1785
35
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post
I simply want the SAME version that was shown in theaters- doesn't matter which one is "better", if they want to include more than one version that's great but the first one I want to see is the one I would have seen in theaters. But you're saying "Priest" was shown that way in theaters everywhere else in the world? I might still buy it if that's so, though I'd still like to see the US theatrical version with it.

I don't buy 2D-to-3D conversions of movies that weren't shown that way in theaters either, at least unless it comes with or I already have the original 2D versions. I reviewed "Jumper" in 3D for another site and it was pretty good for what it was, though I don't know why that didn't include the regular disc with it given the useless extra discs (2D DVD, etc) that come with many Fox titles.
I get what you're saying about original theatrical versions, but so often these are just censored versions of the director's/producer's preferred cut - why would anyone want that over the full version of the film? Priest falls into this category, it was only cut in America, to get a PG13 rating. The rest of the world got the "unrated" version. The reverse is true for Immortals - the USA got the uncut version and the UK got a censored one. I had to import it from Australia to get the uncut version, no way would I ever buy the UK release even though that's the version we got theatrically.

I agree about the way Jumper was marketed, real dirty of Fox to not include the 2D disc in it's original theatrical ratio. Same goes for I, Robot, bad move not to include the 2D version. But I do like the extra headroom that film has in 3D...

Last edited by the13thman; 09-16-2015 at 09:04 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:42 PM   #91
Movieman66 Movieman66 is offline
Senior Member
 
Movieman66's Avatar
 
Jan 2015
784
15
Default

Here's the current thread about the Comin' At Ya! pre-order:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=194416
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:14 PM   #92
revgen revgen is online now
Special Member
 
revgen's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
Southern California, USA
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movieman66 View Post
To possibly calm some fears about the version of Comin' At Ya! that is being released, the product page for the film on the MVD Entertainment Group's website says this:

•New frame by frame digital conversion of the polarized over-and-under format of the original print into RealD digital format and new 5.1 DD surround sound.

So, it seems that they are using the original 1981 theatrical release version and not the 3D "Noir" version that was released a few years back.

Just wanted to put that out there.
No fear here.

If it's not the original 1981 version, then I'll simply send it back to Amazon.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #93
Interdimensional Interdimensional is offline
Special Member
 
Interdimensional's Avatar
 
Nov 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavanut View Post
Thank you for linking to that video, Bob. The reworked color seems to be dished out here and there according to some private whim of the meddler, and looks thoroughly ridiculous.

I know I've spent quite a bit of time and energy lately, in this very thread, acting as an apologist of sorts for Optimax III and Bill Bukowski. But one would think that one look at the dailies would have convinced Tony Anthony and his colleagues to scale back the aggressive negative parallax just a tad. Having never before seen Comin' At Ya! in honest-to-goodness, full color 3-D, I can already picture how dreadful some of those shots are going to look in stereo, given the aslant lens arrangement. And now this pretentious meddling with the color palette will make the film that much less watchable. Yikes.
aside from the tastelessness and the pointlessness of the meddling, the mattes are really sloppy and blotchy looking. Apparently colouring inside the lines is hard.

It does seem quite random, I was wondering if perhaps they did it to distract from deteriorated elements (I've heard bad things about filmstocks from that era). But I guess they probably just saw Sin City and thought something like that would somehow make it hip and 'relevent' to 'modern audiences'.

There's a 3d (side by side) trailer on youtube and the popout seems to work surprisingly well, considering the wide parallax and possible misalignment. I think it helps to focus on the middleground rather than the extreme protrusion in those shots(since that's where the misalignment and is likely to be greatest, going by your example).

edit: JSmith82 posted it in the other thread -
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bavanut (09-16-2015), revgen (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 01:45 AM   #94
Richard--W Richard--W is offline
Expert Member
 
Richard--W's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
1
Default

January 26 is a ways off. There's no hurry in pre-ordering this. I'll wait for the official announcement and cover art to confirm which and what it is. If it turns out to be the "noir" version I'll wait for the reviews to find out if the alignment issues have been adjusted insofar as they may. My only interest in this film is the stereo, and I'm hopeful they'll get it right.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:15 PM   #95
SteveCaron SteveCaron is offline
Member
 
Jul 2015
2
Default

Hopefully we get a good transfer of this movie. It was the 1st 3D movie I had ever seen and wasn't really blown away again by the format until I had seen the IMAX Deep Sea in 2007. I think the theater I saw Comin At Ya had kind of a road show edition so the presentation was spot on. Hopefully this is what we get here.

Last edited by SteveCaron; 09-18-2015 at 04:18 PM. Reason: more info
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #96
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Dec 2011
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavanut View Post
With regards to Flesh for Frankenstein, I totally agree with you. If it ever hits Blu-Ray, I will try to appreciate the joy and gratitude expressed by its fans, but I myself will not own a copy. Ditto for any number of 3-D movies of the 1960s and '70s which go sharply against my philosophy and tastes, including The Stewardesses and its sequels and all the various pornographic titles.

I used to think myself a 3-D completist, but no. Flesh for Frankenstein is to me a brutal and sadistic film that takes too much delight in mangled bodies and moral wreckage. I like to come out of a movie feeling that the filmmakers have respected our shared humanity, and that I have respected myself by taking care which ideas I give ear to.

- Mike Ballew
You're blowing Flesh for Frankenstein way, way out of proportion. It's very obvious they were having fun with that one as they were making it. It's got cult written all over it. I mean seriously - any film with armpit-sucking is not meant to be taken seriously. It's far form sadistic. Saw, Hostel, A Serbian Film, Cannibal Ferox, and martyrs could be considered sadistic (though not without their merits). Flesh for Frankenstein is just pure, cult cheese. I'd buy it for sure if it was on 3D blu-ray.


Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
I have The Stewardesses in anaglyph and would buy that in a second on 3D blu ray. Flesh For Frankenstein isn't a great film but again, I'd buy that without a second thought on 3D blu ray. Having said that, I also refuse to buy 3D movies that go sharply against my philosophy and tastes. That's why I don't own One Direction This Is Us or Justin Bieber Never Say Never. I'd find having to sit through those pretty brutal and sadistic...
Absolutely agree! I'd welcome Stewardesses on blu-ray 3D. The DVDs look quite good considering it's an anaglyph presentation. And I very much agree with your assessment of One Direction and Justin Bieber.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:59 PM   #97
bavanut bavanut is offline
Senior Member
 
bavanut's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Burbank, California
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
You're blowing Flesh for Frankenstein way, way out of proportion.
I understand and appreciate that you look at Flesh for Frankenstein in a different light than I do.

It's been maybe 15 years since I saw the flick in 3-D for the first, last, and only time, at LACMA. I was not only not entertained, I found that my conscience was vexed. Speaking very personally, I was reminded of statements by St. Augustine of Hippo concerning the unseemly, morbid curiosity of crowds gathered to gaze upon mangled bodies. I was rather ashamed that I gave the film 90 minutes of my time; I might have profited more from staring into the nearby tar pits for that span.

And for what it's worth, I find that the 3-D is not handled as carefully and artfully as it ought to have been, so even that potentially redeeming virtue is squandered. But this is surely the least of the film's faults.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Paul H (09-22-2015), Richard--W (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 11:59 PM   #98
film11 film11 is offline
Special Member
 
Mar 2010
1
Default

I saw this during its original theatrical run (when it was entitled "Andy Warhol's FRANKENSTEIN". It was a date movie. We lasted another 3 months! (And yes, I'd buy it in a second if it were ever released. I understand why some don't like it but I thought as Mar30 does...it was (very) darkly funny. Like Udo Kier's slapping "Kiss Her!"...oh heck, it's a hoot. Bring it on!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:52 PM   #99
Arkadin Arkadin is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Arkadin's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-
1
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by film11 View Post
I saw this during its original theatrical run (when it was entitled "Andy Warhol's FRANKENSTEIN". It was a date movie. We lasted another 3 months! (And yes, I'd buy it in a second if it were ever released. I understand why some don't like it but I thought as Mar30 does...it was (very) darkly funny. Like Udo Kier's slapping "Kiss Her!"...oh heck, it's a hoot. Bring it on!
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Flesh-...Blu-ray/95204/
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #100
Interdimensional Interdimensional is offline
Special Member
 
Interdimensional's Avatar
 
Nov 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
- for those that can be bothered with the 2d version.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bavanut (09-29-2015)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Tags
3-d, movie 3d, western

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:01 AM.