COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Five (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Okami-San & Her Seven Companions: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
All That Jazz (Blu-ray)
$27.70
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Dream Theater: Breaking the Fourth Wall (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Being John Malkovich (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ace in the Hole (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Babette's Feast (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-14-2014, 01:47 AM   #101
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bay Fan View Post
You talking about the main bad guy?
No, he's likely talking about the young kid in the movie. I really don't understand all the hate the kid gets. I've seen plenty of films with annoying kids. These kids didn't annoy me.

Seriously people - he's a kid - people are giving him a hard time for not making the smartest decisions? Really? How old is he again in the film?
Old 03-14-2014, 02:09 AM   #102
Power Member

Jul 2011
San Antonio, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
No, he's likely talking about the young kid in the movie. I really don't understand all the hate the kid gets. I've seen plenty of films with annoying kids. These kids didn't annoy me.

Seriously people - he's a kid - people are giving him a hard time for not making the smartest decisions? Really? How old is he again in the film?
Too old to make the ridiculously idiotic decisions that he does. And I got the impression that he's more an adolescent than a kid.

But even so, who wants to watch a movie with characters who make hair-pullingly dumb decisions? Who enjoys being frustrated? That was my main emotion throughout the entire film, unfortunately.
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."

"Go, now. Go."
Old 03-14-2014, 02:15 AM   #103
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Aug 2011
(Currently Bangor, PA) But One Day Hopefully Hollywood, California

You mean the little douche who started it all by breaking the rules? And causing all this stuff to happen? he had one rule to follow and he royally screwed that up!

His dad should have whupped his little ass!
I have a horror script I wrote called "Truth Or Dare" It's very Scream like influenced. If interested in reading it. Please PM me.
My Blu rays for sale Thread

"Sooner or later, I'll do something with my life. And make my mark. But until then, whatever I do is not a waste of time it's all building towards something"
Old 03-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #104
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danchez View Post
Too old to make the ridiculously idiotic decisions that he does. And I got the impression that he's more an adolescent than a kid.

But even so, who wants to watch a movie with characters who make hair-pullingly dumb decisions? Who enjoys being frustrated? That was my main emotion throughout the entire film, unfortunately.
Do people always make the smartest decisions in real life? Then why do some people expect the movies to always depict people making only the smartest of decisions? Why can't people make poor decisions in films? Isn't that more realistic considering that people often make stupid choices, especially when in deadly situations where you don't always have the time to think straight?

Did the kid make some poor decisions? Yes. That doesn't mean it's a bad film. It means it's a film about some people who have a young son that made some poor decisions during the events of the film. I read the news every day and I read about people making poor decisions all the time that cost lives.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #105
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
Jacksonville, Florida

Really the Dad should have been the only one to know the code to the house since after all he was the one who installed it and plus its not like it mattered
[Show spoiler]when one truck with chains attached to the bumper removed every piece of security that house had

But yeah its a movie and it was needed to get the plot from point A to B.

Seeing the kids storm off one by one or run off when the shit was going down leading the Dad or Mom to stop and ask Where is <Insert kids name> got pretty stale.

Its a nice idea for a movie but the kid with his annoying constant check of his heart rate monitor to him making a decision to open the doors its like for someone who is worried about his heart rate he sure is creating a lot of stress and drama. Unless of course he gets high off of adrenaline.

I think I probably liked 90 percent of this movie.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #106
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Sequel is coming.
Is there going to be a sequel every year, like Saw, especially since this story centers around an event that happens "one day every year"?
Old 03-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #107
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
Jacksonville, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
Sequel is coming.
Is there going to be a sequel every year, like Saw, especially since this story centers around an event that happens "one day every year"?
Probably will. Lately movies like this have gone on to make numerous sequels just look at Paranormal Activity, as long as they make bank at the box office it is guaranteed.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #108
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danchez View Post

If he hadn't made those hair-pullingly dumb decisions, there would've been no movie. I just caught this on Cinemax and really enjoyed it. I also found the premise truly disturbing.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #109
Power Member

Jul 2011
San Antonio, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookcase View Post
If he hadn't made those hair-pullingly dumb decisions, there would've been no movie.
There could have been, but it just would've been a better one.

In all seriousness, I'm envious of those who were able to enjoy this movie. I blind-bought it at the request of my friend (who loved it), and I got burned pretty badly. Loved the premise, love the two lead actors, hated the nonsensical decision-making by the characters.

That being said, I'm definitely down to give a sequel a try!
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."

"Go, now. Go."
Old 03-14-2014, 08:58 PM   #110
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
Sequel is coming.
This would be a cool concept if they keep the quality up. The first film was insanely profitable so if they can replicate this with the sequel it might set things up for a series. I like the idea that they turned the tables around for the sequel - with people getting stuck outside on the streets during the purge. Terrifying idea.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #111
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
This would be a cool concept if they keep the quality up. The first film was insanely profitable so if they can replicate this with the sequel it might set things up for a series. I like the idea that they turned the tables around for the sequel - with people getting stuck outside on the streets during the purge. Terrifying idea.
Will all the sequels be released each year on or around the date of the purge in the movie?
Old 06-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #112
Expert Member

Feb 2014

Recently watched The Purge. Though the premise was interesting, I wasn't too impressed by the film, and felt it was somewhat sub-par:

-First, the big issue I had with the film was that it was a very obvious "in your face" social commentary on how U.S. society is today, i.e. if you're poor/destitute you're much more of a target for criminals & won't be protected by the authorities.....And, you don't have as many options as a wealthy person does - especially since the wealthy can afford to live in gated communities which keep the "undesirables" out.

[Show spoiler]-It was extremely predictable & intentionally ironic to have someone who made a lot of $ selling home security systems end up having his own home invaded, and realizing that the home security system wasn't actually good enough to keep determined intruders out (which he admitted to his wife in that key scene).

- The storyline involving the family sheltering someone in their home from a violent gang outside was predictable because I remembed the very similar storyline in the classic Peckinpah film, Straw Dogs (1970).
[Show spoiler]In that film, the DH character sheltered someone that had done something terrible, and the gang that was after him broke into DH's house, where he defended himself against them. Sure, the details were slightly different in The Purge, but it's still the same basic plot...

[Show spoiler]- Just before each of the main characters were going to get taken out by the "bad guys", someone comes in to save the day - also very predictable...

That being said, I did like the plot point
[Show spoiler]of the neighbors coming to take out the salesman & his family. I could kind of see this coming, especially when the neighbor who baked cookies was so transparently resentful that the family had built a new addition onto their house, presumably using the $ the father made from selling them all of those home security units...

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 06-17-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:06 AM   #113

Feb 2008
Albuquerque, NM
Send a message via ICQ to greatfoxmusic Send a message via AIM to greatfoxmusic Send a message via MSN to greatfoxmusic Send a message via Yahoo to greatfoxmusic

I'm surprised no one pointed this out:

http://www.startrek.com/database_art...he-archons-the

Same general concept.

All this movie will do is remind me of that TV show.
www.greatfoxmusic.com

Yamaha RX-V663 / Oppo BDP-83 / Emotiva XPA-5
Epson Home Cinema 1080 Pro UB / Carada 126" 1.78:1 Criterion Series Screen
B&W 683 Fronts / B&W HTM61 Center / Boston VR-X surrounds
Two SVS PC13 Ultra subwoofers with AS-EQ1 Sub EQ - B00M!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America