Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Rick and Morty: Season One (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: 4 Film Favorites (Blu-ray)
$5.00
X-Men Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Alien: 6 Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Bridget Jones's Baby (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Life of Pi 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Sick (Blu-ray)
$9.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 12-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #23001

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie313 View Post
Those aren't really that good...the person is trying too hard to be simple and evoke the feel of a Criterion. Just doesn't work.
I agree. Criterion covers can either be really simple or artsy but it still speaks speaks to you about the film. These covers look more like travel documentaries with the Star Wars name slapped on it.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #23002
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by s00perd00per View Post
I agree. Criterion covers can either be really simple or artsy but it still speaks speaks to you about the film. These covers look more like travel documentaries with the Star Wars name slapped on it.
It shows the basic settings and environment for each of the Star Wars films. These covers display how unique each one of them are on their own. That's pretty much why I like them.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #23003

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekak229 View Post
It shows the basic settings and environment for each of the Star Wars films. These covers display how unique each one of them are on their own. That's pretty much why I like them.
Yeah, I get the look that the creator is going for and I'm sure anyone familiar with the films will get the association but for me, it just doesn't evoke the spirit of what the films are about, which I think most of the Criterion covers have been good at. But hey, to each his own.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #23004
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfixx View Post
As far as I know, you have to specifically order the "replacement cases," which would come with another films cover art. I'm not aware of Criterion having the plastic blu-ray cases lying around specifically for selling to the public, but they probably do. Outside of the replacement cases, I've only been able to obtain a case for Charade because my case and artwork had arrived damaged. You'll just have to e-mail them and ask them, I suppose.

CC
Ok thank you. I was just curious.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #23005
Blu-ray Duke

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisstivers View Post
http://topcultured.com/sweet-remakes...-wars-posters/

Saw these...thought I'd share.
[Show spoiler]

Interesting. I can easily imagine a Criterion fanatic who has never seen or heard of "Star Wars" before (very unlikely) picking these up, watching them, and going "WTF was that?!!"
Old 12-30-2010, 08:12 PM   #23006
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dalek View Post
It's signal-to-noise, old boy.

Hopefully you see the conundrum in railing against "big name directors" whilst advocating for a Dennis Hopper film, as outside the mainstream as the specific film may be.

If it's really all about the movie as you say and the rest is superfluous to you, I wonder if you've campaigned to Kino or any other studios about releasing Last Movie, and what their responses have been. Do you know what the status of the film's rights are, or if there is a clean print existence? Is it tied up in Hopper's estate or does a studio own it? Maybe looking into these sorts of things, if you haven't already, would be proactive. You could even pass along what you find out to Criterion, and they could thank you in the booklet...

CG - I know you feel persecuted at times, but in defending yourself why do you have to disparage other people's posts who had nothing to do with your conversation points? Not to say it doesn't look fun down there rolling around in the mud... (Also, if you read through them yourself, you'd see I mentioned Kellerhouse with a link well ahead of you. You must have missed it, thinking it was all "Lynch crap." )
1. See, thats where people are wrong about me. I don't go "Anti-Big Name Directors". So because I dislike Lynch and Finch, I must dislike Hopper? I like PTA, Rob Zombie but since I dislike Wes and Spielberg I am full anti-big names? Just because people like to talk about what I dislike intead of everything I say I like, doesn't mean I'm anti-big names.

2. About The Last Movie, if you don't know what Kino's mindset is, it's not a 70's film (as of right now). I know some info on the film's rights. Like Universal use to have it and never released it since it came out (except for a limited vhs run). Hopper had the rights, but he passed on. Now let's see. That leaves the Hopper Estate (anybody want to tell me how to get ahold of them) and a place like Criterion, who I can contact. I'm not looking to Criterion for a request. More like a "check this place off the list" type thing. If they have it, great. If they don't, more info I have on it.

Also I believe there was a restored print this year going around festivals. So I get my info together, instead of asking Criterion to re-release Fantastic Mr. Fox on a daily basis. If Universal can get the rights back and release it (which they had it since the 70's, why would they now? They are the ones who pulled the movie.), I would wet my pants. I would wet my pants even if Anchor Bay (for example) gets it and it's a vhs transfer. Criterion is a part of a check list for me, and big one because they sometimes interact with the customers that spend thousands of dollars. So if I can get an answer from them, it's just a checklist.

Last edited by SpiderBaby; 12-30-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #23007
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Any cover of Empire Strikes Back better have Boba Fett. That is all.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #23008

Dec 2009

Curious...where did you see The Last Movie? VHS copy? TV?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #23009
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_The_Strange View Post
Interesting. I can easily imagine a Criterion fanatic who has never seen or heard of "Star Wars" before (very unlikely) picking these up, watching them, and going "WTF was that?!!"
Usually that would be the other way around.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:19 PM   #23010
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetfroid View Post
Curious...where did you see The Last Movie? VHS copy? TV?
internet. But if someone can buy me a copy of it on used vhs for $50-$150, I'll take it.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #23011
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassavetesGodard View Post
internet. But if someone can buy me a copy of it on used vhs for $50-$150, I'll take it.
It really hasn't been released since VHS?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #23012
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadFL View Post
You can find DVD rips online of The Last Movie. So yeah it has been released, maybe just not in the U.S.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #23013
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadFL View Post
No. But I guess people are tired of hearing about me request it, you know, since we have to get dvds and blus from studios who has/can release them over to Criterion for them to put a crooked letter on the cover.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #23014
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Club Loop

Quote:
Any cover of Empire Strikes Back better have Boba Fett. That is all.
agreed. best character in the franchise deserves some love on the cover art.
Seattle Seahawks XLVIII Champions

2014: 14-4; Super Bowl XLIX Bound!
Old 12-30-2010, 08:47 PM   #23015
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
You can find DVD rips online of The Last Movie. So yeah it has been released, maybe just not in the U.S.
I can't find any region that has the Last Movie on dvd. If so, it would finally be the reason for me to go region-free. I do know where I could of found Darjeeling Limited on U.S. dvd before Criterion got it. Why are people cool with that but telling me I can find rips of the Last Movie, like that's good enough but these studio dvds that Criterion are picking up needs attention?
Old 12-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #23016

Dec 2009

Quote:
I can't find any region that has the Last Movie on dvd. If so, it would finally be the reason for me to go region-free. I do know where I could of found Darjeeling Limited on U.S. dvd before Criterion got it. Why are people cool with that but telling me I can find rips of the Last Movie, like that's good enough but these studio dvds that Criterion are picking up needs attention?
Chirst, man. Give it a rest. The chip on your shoulder is bigger than Godard's ego.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:34 PM   #23017
Power Member

Mar 2010
Atlanta - SteelBooks™: 16

Criterion shipped my "Chungking Express" today. I so glad they had it in stock. Hopefully, they still have replacement cases available.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?! Why can't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"
-Oddball

My Blu-ray and DVD collection
Old 12-31-2010, 01:01 AM   #23018
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dalek View Post
Incidentally, why did you quit campaigning for Out of the Blue in your signature? Has there been a release somewhere?
Last Movie is more important to release, as Out of the Blue atleast had a dvd release (even though OOP). Doesn't mean I wouldn't be super happy with either, if one sees a future release by someone.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:26 AM   #23019
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam1bearcat View Post
agreed. best character in the franchise deserves some love on the cover art.
Nah, the best character would have to be Lando's Mexican co-pilot. Just put his mug on the front cover. Nothing but that.

Last edited by greekak229; 12-31-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:27 AM   #23020
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
North Carolina

Army of Shadows review is up.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Army-o.../17068/#Review
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors