Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Baby Driver 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Mummy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Your Name (Blu-ray)
$61.49
John Wick: Chapter 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Pretty Woman (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Pokémon: Season 1 - Indigo League (Blu-ray)
$57.05
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Alien: Covenant 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek Beyond 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-27-2011, 02:40 AM   #921

Oct 2009
In self-banned land

I've been depriving myself of watching "Jurassic Park" for years, simply because I was waiting for it to come out on blu ray. So needless to say, I'm thrilled that it's only two months away now.

But then I read this a minute ago... http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/ju...--video/232595

And maybe I won't have to wait that long after all! It's gonna get a rerelease in theaters next month!
Old 08-27-2011, 02:47 AM   #922

Aug 2007
New Jersey

This is my favorite movie of all time but I wonder if Spielberg will correct some of the mistakes left in the film. For example, when the kids run into the kitchen and the raptor breaths into the window, you see a cameraman in the reflection of the door adjusting the focus of the camera. And when the raptor opens the door you see a crew member reach up and grab the tail so that it does not fall over. Little things like this. And maybe correcting the spelling of Tyrannosaurus on the embryo vile. Ha.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:51 AM   #923

Oct 2009
In self-banned land

Dammit, according to Empire it's only being rereleased in theaters in the UK!
Old 08-27-2011, 03:15 AM   #924
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviemaniack1993 View Post
This is my favorite movie of all time but I wonder if Spielberg will correct some of the mistakes left in the film. For example, when the kids run into the kitchen and the raptor breaths into the window, you see a cameraman in the reflection of the door adjusting the focus of the camera. And when the raptor opens the door you see a crew member reach up and grab the tail so that it does not fall over. Little things like this. And maybe correcting the spelling of Tyrannosaurus on the embryo vile. Ha.
Interesting! Didn't know any of that. They have been showing 1 & 3 on AMC, all this week, and it's on now so, i'm gonna go look for those things. Don't know why AMC only chose to air 1 & 3. I quite like the 2nd more than the 3rd.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:28 AM   #925
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
KIC8462852

Quote:
We know the raptors were intelligent, and they hunt in pack. They're now using walkie-talkies to coordinate their attacks.

I don't mind fixes, just that I didn't notice those errors. While I do like details and clear HD picture, I'm known to be so immersed in the movie. Don't know if that's an advantage or disadvantage. That said I do hope they do this right, George Lucas didn't get the best transfer from Universal for American Graffiti (and many other big catalog titles apparently), hope they'll listen to Steven Spielberg this time.
Too much nostalgia interrupts progress. Looking forward to something new.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:21 AM   #926
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizonline View Post
No story or set "corrections" are being made.
Source?
Old 08-27-2011, 04:28 AM   #927
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
KIC8462852

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
Source?
There was never any confirmation. I think from that interview with Spielberg at AICN, we can safely assume this.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:56 AM   #928
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010

Quote:
I didn't catch those mistakes. I will have to wait for the blu-ray, so I can watch frame by frame.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:28 AM   #929
Expert Member

Nov 2009

The ignorance with some people here is getting old.

I hear stuff like "oh BTTF looks great!" ...great compared to what?

It's difficult to judge something without having a reference point. I think some users here just look at a few screenshots of The Big Lebowski and think "oh the colors are so bright!" or "I can see the thread patterns on The Dude's robe!" and call it a 5/5 transfer.

But when users here link to superior HDTV caps or other region releases and people here STILL deny it's not a shoddy transfer....why? Are you guys Universal plants? Are you guys going to tell me IPod ear buds are "just fine" next?
Old 08-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #930
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
KIC8462852

Though Jurassic Park was not specifically mentioned, it's Spielberg's new philosophy about his films. If there are fixes to this blu-ray release (and maybe Raiders) it must've been done before then. Or he changed his mind again who knows.

Quote:
Quint: I can’t wait, man. I love that the last DVD release actually had the original mono soundtrack on it as well. I wasn’t a fan of the remixed 5.1 sound… the splashing sounded canned…

Steven Spielberg: Oh, I know. I totally understand that. (In the future) there’s going to be no more digital enhancements or digital additions to anything based on any film I direct. I’m not going to do any corrections digitally to even wires that show.

If 1941 comes on Blu-Ray I’m not going to go back and take the wires out because the Blu-Ray will bring the wires out that are guiding the airplane down Hollywood Blvd. At this point right now I think letting movies exist in the era, with all the flaws and all of the flourishes, is a wonderful way to mark time and mark history.

Quint: I’m in total agreement with you. I wish you could talk George (Lucas) into doing the same thing!

Steven Spielberg: Well, I can’t!

Quint: (laughs) Yeah, I don’t think anybody can!

Steven Spielberg: George goes his own way and I respect him for it, but my new philosophy on this is to let sleeping dogs lie.
Posted by AintItCool.com on June 3rd, 2011.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #931
Expert Member

Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontail60 View Post
If what Universal did to Back to the Future is in any way acceptable to you, it's time to give up on Blu-ray and head back to DVD. You're clearly not interested in the picture quality improvements this format offers.

Is it the shiny blue cases you like?
Lol you mad bro? I didn't notice anything wrong with the back to the future blu ray. Was there a light touch of dnr i missed? Its certainly not obvious. Picture looked pretty clear to me: and not is a everything smoothed out kind of way, but like looking out a window. I noticed doc was aged at the beginning and i never noticed that before. Is it too clear? This forum is filled with too many drama queens. After the lord of the rings fiasco, I've found it very difficult to trust anyone, but the contributors of this website. Everyone else ends up looking at every little problem with a magnifying glass and blows everything out of proportion.

I really like hearing about how all the reviewers are being bought off, because it never explains the reviews that have 1 or 2 star ratings.

Last edited by Petyr_Baelish; 08-27-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #932
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncontrol View Post

It's difficult to judge something without having a reference point. I think some users here just look at a few screenshots of The Big Lebowski and think "oh the colors are so bright!" or "I can see the thread patterns on The Dude's robe!" and call it a 5/5 transfer.

But when users here link to superior HDTV caps or other region releases and people here STILL deny it's not a shoddy transfer....why? Are you guys Universal plants? Are you guys going to tell me IPod ear buds are "just fine" next?
In most cases, people use their exisiting dvd's as reference points. Furthermore, I don't know of anyone that gave TBL 5/5. Even the diehard fans can admit faults in the trasnfer. It doesn't change the fact that the BD release of TBL is the best, overall, version on the market today.
Of course Universal needs to step up their game...I don't think anyone would think otherwise. Keep in mind Uni was the last major studio to throw in with blu-ray once the war had been decided.
I think people like yourself, need to understand that every film from every studio is NOT going to get a frame for frame cleaning, or an 8k scan like Baraka...the money is just not there for every title.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #933
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiman04 View Post
Though Jurassic Park was not specifically mentioned, it's Spielberg's new philosophy about his films. If there are fixes to this blu-ray release (and maybe Raiders) it must've been done before then. Or he changed his mind again who knows.

Posted by AintItCool.com on June 3rd, 2011.
Yes I know the article in which you're referencing,(glad some actually name sources, short of: I'm the source) and I'm just saying that the proof will be in the proverbial pudding when these SS films finally do come out on BD.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #934

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone_Carlyle View Post
Lol you mad bro? I didn't notice anything wrong with the back to the future blu ray. Was there a light touch of dnr i missed? Its certainly not obvious. Picture looked pretty clear to me: and not is a everything smoothed out kind of way, but like looking out a window. I noticed doc was aged at the beginning and i never noticed that before. Is it too clear? This forum is filled with too many drama queens. After the lord of the rings fiasco, I've found it very difficult to trust anyone, but the contributors of this website. Everyone else ends up looking at every little problem with a magnifying glass and blows everything out of proportion.

I really like hearing about how all the reviewers are being bought off, because it never explains the reviews that have 1 or 2 star ratings.
Nah sis. I ain't mad. Just disappointed in a fellow Blu-ray adopter. It's disappointing when my comrades display incompetence at identifying things like poor picture quality and poor transfers. It does not bode well for my favorite format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncontrol View Post

They will, actually. These are the same kind of people who think audiophiles are crazy and it's all in their head.

I don't know what they're doing embracing a videophile/audiophile format like Blu-ray when their attitude is "Oh, an old 2k transfer created for the DVD releases with a bunch of digital tinkering slathered on is good enough, man!"

Quote:
In most cases, people use their exisiting dvd's as reference points. Furthermore, I don't know of anyone that gave TBL 5/5. Even the diehard fans can admit faults in the trasnfer. It doesn't change the fact that the BD release of TBL is the best, overall, version on the market today.
Of course Universal needs to step up their game...I don't think anyone would think otherwise. Keep in mind Uni was the last major studio to throw in with blu-ray once the war had been decided.
I think people like yourself, need to understand that every film from every studio is NOT going to get a frame for frame cleaning, or an 8k scan like Baraka...the money is just not there for every title.
This is bullshit. The U.S. BD release of Lebowski is not the best, overall version on the market. We've already established that the HD DVD and Italian Blu-ray are better.

This is an incompetence issue, not a money issue. You really think Universal is saving money by hiring idiots to slather on digital tinkering that makes what was already a poor old scan even worse?

It would almost be acceptable if Universal was just dumping the old transfers onto Blu-ray. But they are intentionally making them worse before doing so, and spending money in the process.

And there is just no excuse for that Back to the Future disaster. Universal deserves every piece of criticism they get for that failure and then some. A series of the caliber does deserve new scans at 4k or higher and no DNR/EE molestation. It's not some obscure catalog title that isn't going to bring in very much revenue. BTTF is hugely popular.

Last edited by scorpiontail60; 08-27-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #935
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD
-
-

Quote:
This is bullshit. The U.S. BD release of Lebowski is not the best, overall version on the market. We've already established that the HD DVD and Italian Blu-ray are better.

This is an incompetence issue, not a money issue. You really think Universal is saving money by hiring idiots to slather on digital tinkering that makes what was already a poor old scan even worse?

It would almost be acceptable if Universal was just dumping the old transfers onto Blu-ray. But they are intentionally making them worse before doing so, and spending money in the process.

And there is just no excuse for that Back to the Future disaster. Universal deserves every piece of criticism they get for that failure and then some. A series of the caliber does deserve new scans at 4k or higher and no DNR/EE molestation. It's not some obscure catalog title that isn't going to bring in very much revenue. BTTF is hugely popular.
You are like a horse with blinders on! Had you taken the time to comprehend my post you'd know that this release IS the best OVERALL version.
It offers far more than any other on the market in terms of: PQ/AQ/extras & packaging.
Here's an idea, if you're so disenchanted with what you preceive to be poor releases...go start your own thread, and cry away.
Why do you go out of your way to rain on the obvious fans of this movie's parade? Or better yet, instead of wasting your time posting on "pro-movie" fan threads such as this one...start writing Universal and any other studio that doesn't meet your high standards.
I'm not saying that this release is the best, as it could have been better...Hell, you can probably say that about a lot of BD releases....what I'm saying is that it's not as bad as you crack it up to be. As witnessed by the more positive reception vs. the negative.
Whining on this thread, as you've been doing, only makes you out to be the crackpot of the group. Not a lofty tilte, imo.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #936

Mar 2011
Western New York

I am indeed a stranger in a strange land. But if I don't ask these questions, it's going to bug me all day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizonline View Post
Did you consider my photos or home movies as unreliable? That does qualify as other information, and I have hunderds of related to films. You would have only needed to have done a "Find Other Post by horizonline" search and visted my website, or a few threads here to find some before I was warned. They have notes with a brief an explanation now. There are still plenty to make.

Alot of members base reliability of another member by a members post history. This was an example of mine.
I am sorry, but what are you talking about? Your post history is too long to search through, and you don't seem to have a website listed on your profile. I have no idea who you are meant to be. I am just curious here.

Quote:
The BTTF BDs are by no means reference-quality, but what exactly makes them so terrible? Judging on screenshots and watching them on my 52", I'd give them a 8/10 or so. Especially seeing how spectacularly titles like Predator and Near Dark were botched.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #937
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

It's almost as if now that the star wars release is almost here and good things are being said about the set from various sources people now need a new release to complain about before we have even seen it
My PSN Trophy Card | PS4 Tips, Tricks & Fixes
List of BD Movies That Have PS3 Themes
Samsung 55KS7000 SUHD|Samsung UBD-K8500|Nintendo Switch|Xbox One S|PS4(2TB)|PS3 Slim(1TB)|Sony Bravia 40W605|LG 42LW650T 3D|Toshiba BDX3100 (Multi-Region3D Player)|ONKYO HTX-22HD 5.1|Samsung HW-F350 Soundbar|Sky+HD Box.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #938
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
San Jose, CA

All I can say is I hope JP is released with the highest quality and digitally untampered. This will make me a happy camper
Old 08-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #939
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tama View Post
All I can say is I hope JP is released with the highest quality and digitally untampered. This will make me a happy camper
As it will all JP fans...my only concern is the little logo on the spine that will read Universal! Don't get me wrong I'm not a huge Uni-basher, but some of their releases are a tad puzzling. For example the audio on Blues Brothers(I own the BD and am quite happy w/it), why couldn't they offer it in lossless? I wish someone from the studio or John Landis wouldn've addressed that issue. That's just one example in a recent string of, what I consider, minor flaws that could have been easily corrected.
The reason I mention that example, is that I can't help this feeling that some small detail like that will arise on JP(or even Jaw FWIW).
Although based on the the initial release data, I'm very encouraged by the DTS-HD 7.1 and a healthy dose of extras! From what I've seen of the OTA viewings, PQ(hopefully) won't be an issue!
So maybe this will be a legit homerun for Universal?
Old 08-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #940
Expert Member

Oct 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
As it will all JP fans...my only concern is the little logo on the spine that will read Universal! Don't get me wrong I'm not a huge Uni-basher, but some of their releases are a tad puzzling. For example the audio on Blues Brothers(I own the BD and am quite happy w/it), why couldn't they offer it in lossless? I wish someone from the studio or John Landis wouldn've addressed that issue. That's just one example in a recent string of, what I consider, minor flaws that could have been easily corrected.
The reason I mention that example, is that I can't help this feeling that some small detail like that will arise on JP(or even Jaw FWIW).
Although based on the the initial release data, I'm very encouraged by the DTS-HD 7.1 and a healthy dose of extras! From what I've seen of the OTA viewings, PQ(hopefully) won't be an issue!
So maybe this will be a legit homerun for Universal?
I understand everyone's concern regarding Universal and IMO, it's well founded. However, I do trust Steven Spielberg and I can't imagine he would allow Universal to mistreat one of his tent pole films. Being that Spielberg is also a fan of film grain, I would expect a very limited amount of DNR. I could be wrong though. It wouldn't be the first time my optimism brought about severe disappointment in a release.
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!" - The Simpsons
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America