Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Band of Brothers (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Mission: Impossible The 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Blu-ray)
$12.09
True Detective: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ranma ½: Set 7 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Pacific (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Hateful Eight (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Only Yesterday (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Angry Birds Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.50
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Underworld: The Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.00
Ip Man Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$24.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-20-2015, 07:25 PM   #241
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborgLIS View Post
Not sure what you mean by "at all". Because I've played it in 2D on my 3DTV. And also on my 2D laptop monitor with PowerDVD.
On a 2d display with a normal BD player
Revionist audio and video is for the cheap seats
Physical media Fo lyfe.
The Scott Bros. do no wrong.
Dolby Vision is a company grasping at relevance.
Bring back and refine SXRD displays.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:15 PM   #242
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborgLIS View Post
Not sure what you mean by "at all". Because I've played it in 2D on my 3DTV. And also on my 2D laptop monitor with PowerDVD.
We're talking about playback on a regular 2D TV, the disc won't allow it. While it is true that every single MVC encoded 3D disc has a 2D left-eye stream it doesn't play by default on a 2D setup, the disc must be authored to allow it to be user-selectable.

From Top Gun 3D on a 2D TV:

Old 11-21-2015, 01:33 AM   #243
Special Member

Oct 2013
Brooklyn NY

I've probably had this discussion before earlier in the thread, but I prefer the fullscreen version, as the "widescreeen" version simply crops the image. A movie of this scale should not have nearly half the image removed. I watched in fullscreen a thousand times as a kid, and that's the only way I'll ever see it.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:39 AM   #244
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden389 View Post
I've probably had this discussion before earlier in the thread, but I prefer the fullscreen version, as the "widescreeen" version simply crops the image. A movie of this scale should not have nearly half the image removed. I watched in fullscreen a thousand times as a kid, and that's the only way I'll ever see it.
The "cropped" image is the intended ratio, and how it was theatrically screened. They ADDED image to the top and bottom for the old "fullscreen" releases. More image does not always mean better.
Thanks given by:
captainjoe (02-22-2016), D00mM4r1n3 (02-22-2016), notops (02-22-2016), Petey Parker (11-21-2015), Widescreenfilmguy (02-22-2016)
Old 11-21-2015, 11:20 AM   #245
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
The "cropped" image is the intended ratio, and how it was theatrically screened. They ADDED image to the top and bottom for the old "fullscreen" releases. More image does not always mean better.
And it was 2.1:1 for aaages!
Physical media Fo lyfe.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:43 PM   #246
Special Member

Oct 2013
Brooklyn NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
More image does not always mean better.
Only a matter of opinion. But as an example to counter your side, take the infamous "Need for Speed" line scene. In the fullscreen version, you can not only see Cruise and Edwards from head to toe, but you can see that beautful blue sky. In the "widescreen" dvd, they're both cut off at the knees, and the top of Edwards' head is cut off. In the "widescreen" blu, they're both cut off at the waist, Edwards' head is gone, and the top of Cruise's head is gone. So now when they high five, you can't even see it, nor do you see Edwards talking in unison with Cruise when they say the line. Same goes for Cruise's fist-pump when he's riding his motorcycle as the jet flies by.

It is NOT intentional that we don't see what the characters are saying or doing in these scenes. When "Need for Speed" became one of the most popular phrases in the 80's thanks to this film (as well as a 25 year old videogame series that's still going on to this day). And don't get me started on how by losing the entire shot of the jets during the flight scenes, we lose all sense of scale and it's harder to see what's going on.

Oh and the "widescreen" laserdisc was different as well. So that's 4 different AR's. I don't believe that the late great Tony Scott changed his mind about the AR 3 times.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:49 PM   #247
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2010

Quote:
Only a matter of opinion. But as an example to counter your side, take the infamous "Need for Speed" line scene. In the fullscreen version, you can not only see Cruise and Edwards from head to toe, but you can see that beautful blue sky. In the "widescreen" dvd, they're both cut off at the knees, and the top of Edwards' head is cut off. In the "widescreen" blu, they're both cut off at the waist, Edwards' head is gone, and the top of Cruise's head is gone. So now when they high five, you can't even see it, nor do you see Edwards talking in unison with Cruise when they say the line. Same goes for Cruise's fist-pump when he's riding his motorcycle as the jet flies by.

It is NOT intentional that we don't see what the characters are saying or doing in these scenes. When "Need for Speed" became one of the most popular phrases in the 80's thanks to this film (as well as a 25 year old videogame series that's still going on to this day). And don't get me started on how by losing the entire shot of the jets during the flight scenes, we lose all sense of scale and it's harder to see what's going on.

Oh and the "widescreen" laserdisc was different as well. So that's 4 different AR's. I don't believe that the late great Tony Scott changed his mind about the AR 3 times.
Tony didn't change his mind
Physical media Fo lyfe.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #248
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2011

The 30th Anniversary steelbook edition is coming in May. It appears it's the same old transfer, since there's no word of a remaster in the press release.

Quote:
Just in Time for Memorial Day & Father’s Day, 30th Anniversary Limited Edition Blu-ray™ Steelbook Takes Flight May 3, 2016

Relive the Adrenaline-Fueled Classic on Digital HD May 10, 2016​

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. –The action-packed thrill-ride that helped define a generation celebrates its 30th anniversary as TOP GUN arrives in a Limited Edition Blu-ray Combo Steelbook on May 3, 2016 from Paramount Home Media Distribution. The pop culture touchstone will also be available with special features on Digital HD for the first time on May 10, 2016.

The story of an elite group of pilots competing to be the best in their class and earn the title of “Top Gun” captured the imagination of moviegoers upon its release on May 16, 1986, ultimately earning a worldwide box office of over $350 million. Tom Cruise is superb as the cocky but talented pilot Maverick and Kelly McGillis sizzles as the civilian instructor who teaches him a few things you can’t learn in a classroom. Featuring a sensational soundtrack with unforgettable songs including Berlin’s “Take My Breath Away” and Kenny Loggins’ “Danger Zone”, the film also stars Val Kilmer, Anthony Edwards and Meg Ryan.

An ideal Father’s Day gift, the TOP GUN 30th Anniversary Limited Edition Blu-ray Combo Steelbook presents the film with pristine high definition picture and sparkling sound. The Blu-ray Combo Pack includes Danger Zone: The Making of Top Gun, a behind-the-scenes featurette, a survival training featurette, interviews with Tom Cruise, four music videos, commentary by producer Jerry Bruckheimer, director Tony Scott, co-screenwriter Jack Epps, Jr. and naval experts, a look inside the real “Top Gun” and more.

TOP GUN 30th Anniversary Limited Edition Blu-ray Combo Steelbook

The TOP GUN Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 6.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, English 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital with English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. The combo pack includes access to a Digital HD copy of the film as well as the following:

Blu-ray

·Feature film in high definition

·Commentary by producer Jerry Bruckheimer, director Tony Scott, co-screenwriter Jack Epps, Jr. and naval experts

·Danger Zone: The Making of Top Gun

·Multi-Angle Storyboards with optional commentary by Tony Scott

·Best of the Best: Inside the Real Top Gun

·Music Videos:

oKenny Loggins—“Danger Zone”

oBerlin—“Take My Breath Away”

oLoverboy—“Heaven In Your Eyes”

oHarold Faltermeyer and Steve Stevens—“Top Gun Anthem”

·TV Spots

·Behind-the-Scenes Featurette

·Survival Training Featurette

·Tom Cruise Interviews

DVD

·Feature film in standard definition

·Commentary by producer Jerry Bruckheimer, director Tony Scott, co-screenwriter Jack Epps, Jr. and naval experts

·Music Videos:

oKenny Loggins—“Danger Zone”

oBerlin—“Take My Breath Away”

oLoverboy—“Heaven In Your Eyes”

oHarold Faltermeyer and Steve Stevens—“Top Gun Anthem”

·TV Spots
Source
Thanks given by:
rickah88 (02-22-2016), willo007 (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 05:20 PM   #249
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
US of A

Same 2D disc as before, or are they putting the 3D transfer on a 2D disc?
Top 25 | Aliens | Amadeus | Annie Hall | Casablanca | Chinatown | The Dark Knight | Days of Thunder | Die Hard | Drive | Fargo | The Fugitive | The Godfather, Part II | Goldfinger | Goodfellas | Lawrence of Arabia | The Lord of the Rings | Psycho | Pulp Fiction | Raiders of the Lost Ark | The Shining | The Silence of the Lambs | Star Wars | The Sting | Unforgiven | Zodiac | 2016 Movie Rankings |
Old 02-22-2016, 05:47 PM   #250
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
San Jose, CA

I have very little faith that Paramount will ever revisit several catalog titles that could use revisiting with Remastered efforts.

I've actually been contemplating letting go of Warren Betty's REDS. Poor overall master but seeing it's OOP and just don't believe it'll ever be revisited.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #251
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Same 2D disc as before, or are they putting the 3D transfer on a 2D disc?
I was wondering, since they're making some new scans/restorations for some movies, why do they release them only in 3D and not in 2D too for the rest of us that have no interest in 3D?

This film comes in mind and The Last Emperor.
Most wanted Blurays: All classic Disney animation films restored to their original look and colors (with grain), Raintree County, Star Wars OT, Spacecamp, Spacehunter: adventures in the forbidden zone, Maurice, Explorers, No Mercy, Runaway, Mayerling, Supergirl, True Lies, Abyss, King Solomon's Mines, The Philadelphia Experiment (1984), Who's that Girl, Madonna Blond Ambition Tour
Foreign films: Sissi Trilogy, Death in Venice, Raise the Red Lantern, Cyrano, Indochine, Cavafy (1996)
Old 02-22-2016, 06:05 PM   #252

Sep 2010
The Black Lodge

Quote:

What you saw in the theater is what you see on the blu.

It was framed for 2.39:1 exhibition. The framing is not "simply cropped", that's just how Super 35 works. Paramount botching the matting for the laserdisc and early dvd releases has nothing to do with this. The framing you saw on VHS was just a byproduct of how this particular "scope" method is achieved.

All one should really care about is re-creating the theatrical experience, childhood nostalgia be damned.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:09 PM   #253
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by notops View Post
What you saw in the theater is what you see on the blu.

It was framed for 2.39:1 exhibition. The framing is not "simply cropped", that's just how Super 35 works. Paramount botching the matting for the laserdisc and early dvd releases has nothing to do with this. The framing you saw on VHS was just a byproduct of how this particular "scope" method is achieved.

All one should really care about is re-creating the theatrical experience, childhood nostalgia be damned.
The 70mm blow up had the other ratio
Physical media Fo lyfe.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:17 PM   #254

Jan 2012

Quote:

<snip>
The video you linked to actually shows that a significant portion of the right side of the original theatrical presentation has been cutoff to produce the "fullscreen" cropped image, thereby disputing your point. Try watching the special features on Die Hard some time for a good explanation of why widescreen is so important to maintaining the director's vision.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:38 PM   #255
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by D00mM4r1n3 View Post
The video you linked to actually shows that a significant portion of the right side of the original theatrical presentation has been cutoff to produce the "fullscreen" cropped image, thereby disputing your point. Try watching the special features on Die Hard some time for a good explanation of why widescreen is so important to maintaining the director's vision.
Die hard was anamorphic, not the same
Physical media Fo lyfe.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:55 PM   #256
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009
Central California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akijama View Post
The 30th Anniversary steelbook edition is coming in May. It appears it's the same old transfer, since there's no word of a remaster in the press release.

Sweet! Despite being such a major childhood favorite I've yet to get this on Blu. But with the 30th anniversary and a Steelbook (even if I would have preferred the original art), it seems as good a time as any to finally pick this up.

And jeez, I can't believe it's been thirty years(!) now since I saw this in the theater. I was just seven years old, and my grandma took me and my cousin to see it. We spent the rest of the summer wearing make-shift flight suits, running around calling each other Maverick and Iceman.
Tumblr & Blog

Favorite Movies
Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, Jaws, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Lethal Weapon, Aliens, The Mummy (1999), Jurassic Park, Blade Runner,
Halloween, Die Hard, The Terminator, Tremors, The Road Warrior
Old 02-22-2016, 10:10 PM   #257

Sep 2010
The Black Lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike View Post
The 70mm blow up had the other ratio
The 70mm ratio was 2.2:1. The laserdisc ratio was closer to 2:1. Still, the film was shot for "scope", so the blu remains the correct representation of how Top Gun was intended to be seen.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:11 PM   #258

Mar 2008
Alberta, Canada

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNh_dmsh1G8
This comparison video you posted shows how much better the framing in the widescreen version is. A cinematographer and camera operator would never want all that dead space with ceiling fans and empty chairs in frame.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:15 PM   #259
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjoe View Post
This comparison video you posted shows how much better the framing in the widescreen version is. A cinematographer and camera operator would never want all that dead space with ceiling fans and empty chairs in frame.
This. The framing for the widescreen version is spot on. More information isn't always better.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:15 PM   #260
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

As far as the new transfer is concerned, I saw it on TV last year so a timed 2D master of it without the floating windows definitely exists. It'd be great if Paramount were to silently remaster the current 2D disc....but that's not gonna happen.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America