Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Cyber Monday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mission: Impossible The 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$21.99
The Ultimate James Bond Collection (Blu-ray)
$99.99
Star Trek Beyond (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Star Trek Into Darkness 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Transformers: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Room (Blu-ray)
$8.88
The Buster Keaton Collection (Blu-ray)
$136.99
Cowboy Bebop: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.99
Hannibal: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.99
Road House (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Back to the Future Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rick and Morty: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.49
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2016, 02:23 PM   #4561
Mr. Cinema Mr. Cinema is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
NC
64
1
67
Default

I found this Superman: The Movie release on Walmart.com. I wonder if this has the DTS-HD track. I was under the impression that the box set is still the only way to get that version.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Warner-Bro...-Excl/52590759
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:24 PM   #4562
Zimmy Zimmy is offline
Active Member
 
Sep 2009
Default

That's the theatrical version. Did they ever do a DTS-HD track for that?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:04 PM   #4563
Ray_Rogers Ray_Rogers is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Ray_Rogers's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
Watsonville, California
625
13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidglov3s View Post
I replaced the DVD discs in that case with the Blu-ray disc. Because they put the content on fewer discs that gave me space to also add Supergirl and Man of Steel as well.
But Man of Steel doesn't belong in the Anthology Set and belongs in the DC Film Universe whatever-they-wanna-call-it. Since it's not the same series. Supergirl of course belongs, all official cuts.
It'd be as though someone made a boxset of the Batman 1989-1997 series and also had The Dark Knight Trilogy as part of it. Should be separate.
My Complete Collection <- Always being Updated.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #4564
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
1235
256
42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Rogers View Post
But Man of Steel doesn't belong in the Anthology Set and belongs in the DC Film Universe whatever-they-wanna-call-it. Since it's not the same series. Supergirl of course belongs, all official cuts.
It'd be as though someone made a boxset of the Batman 1989-1997 series and also had The Dark Knight Trilogy as part of it. Should be separate.
Uh, Returns is a pseudo-sequel to Superman II and is NOT a part of the new DC "universe" thing, which started with Man of Steel. Superman Returns definitely belongs in this set.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:04 PM   #4565
Class316 Class316 is offline
Active Member
 
Mar 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Uh, Returns is a pseudo-sequel to Superman II and is NOT a part of the new DC "universe" thing, which started with Man of Steel. Superman Returns definitely belongs in this set.
I don't see where he said Returns did not belong.

But yes, Returns belongs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:23 PM   #4566
Sgt Yard Sgt Yard is offline
Member
 
Apr 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
But yes, Returns belongs.
It's difficult to define which films belong. If you say just the Salkind produced ones then that includes Supergirl but omits 4. If you say only the ones starring Christopher Reeve as Superman then we lose Supergirl and gain IV back, but then you could argue the first film doesn't count because it features Reeve rather than stars him.

Personally I'd prefer it if Returns wasn't included in the set, but at least I can use it as a coaster while I'm watching the Reeve films.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:59 PM   #4567
Class316 Class316 is offline
Active Member
 
Mar 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Yard View Post
Personally I'd prefer it if Returns wasn't included in the set, but at least I can use it as a coaster while I'm watching the Reeve films.
Returns much better than IV
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Arawn (07-21-2016), Darth Vicious (07-20-2016), Geoff D (08-30-2016), lifepawn (08-30-2016), UltraMario9 (08-11-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 10:04 PM   #4568
kidglov3s kidglov3s is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
kidglov3s's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
1116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Rogers View Post
But Man of Steel doesn't belong in the Anthology Set and belongs in the DC Film Universe whatever-they-wanna-call-it. Since it's not the same series. Supergirl of course belongs, all official cuts.
It'd be as though someone made a boxset of the Batman 1989-1997 series and also had The Dark Knight Trilogy as part of it. Should be separate.
My thought was it was a movie that had Superman in it, ha ha. I mean Superman vs The Mole Men is in there too, and that's no connection to anything.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:33 PM   #4569
thegoat thegoat is offline
Senior Member
 
Jul 2012
261
287
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Rogers View Post
But Man of Steel doesn't belong in the Anthology Set and belongs in the DC Film Universe whatever-they-wanna-call-it. Since it's not the same series. Supergirl of course belongs, all official cuts.
It'd be as though someone made a boxset of the Batman 1989-1997 series and also had The Dark Knight Trilogy as part of it. Should be separate.
Anthology doesn't necessarily equate to a series. If we're just talking about the Superman character, then everything nvolving Supes could be thrown in there in the interest of studying the evolution of the character in cinema. Same with Batman. WB's current anthology releases of Batman/Superman seem to keep continuities separat, but a Batman anthology somewhere down the road could include everything from Adam West to Batfleck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:21 PM   #4570
James Luckard James Luckard is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
James Luckard's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA
647
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmy View Post
That's the theatrical version. Did they ever do a DTS-HD track for that?
There's an American standalone BD of the theatrical cut of Superman? I had no idea. That's really all I've wanted on BD.

Last edited by James Luckard; 07-20-2016 at 11:26 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:41 AM   #4571
Class316 Class316 is offline
Active Member
 
Mar 2012
Default

I don't know why people love Superman but don't like Superman II as much. Personally I think II has more super hero action than the first. I always thought people say the first is much better than it is similar to how people say Returns is much worse than it is.

For instance in Superman, couple of things I can't comprehend, how would Luthor have known that this green rock would weaken Superman? That made no sense. And when he reversed time to save Lois Lane that made even less sense. Even if he turned back time why didn't her car fall into the ground like it did the first time (except this time he would rescue her before that happened). But in the "new" timeline it's like it didn't happen. It's like, HUH? he reversed time AND changed history?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:54 AM   #4572
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
1235
256
42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
I don't see where he said Returns did not belong.

But yes, Returns belongs.
I don't know how I read Returns in his post, but I did. Maybe he did a quick edit. Yeah, that's it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:14 PM   #4573
BNex99 BNex99 is offline
Expert Member
 
Sep 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
I don't know why people love Superman but don't like Superman II as much. Personally I think II has more super hero action than the first. I always thought people say the first is much better than it is similar to how people say Returns is much worse than it is.

For instance in Superman, couple of things I can't comprehend, how would Luthor have known that this green rock would weaken Superman? That made no sense. And when he reversed time to save Lois Lane that made even less sense. Even if he turned back time why didn't her car fall into the ground like it did the first time (except this time he would rescue her before that happened). But in the "new" timeline it's like it didn't happen. It's like, HUH? he reversed time AND changed history?
I love both Superman I & II, but there are indeed a lot of things in both that don't make sense logically. Those movies are so revered that we often forget that they were largely inspired by Silver Age comics, and "taking it seriously" meant something a little different at the time.

I like I & II about the same, but II's seams are a little easier to see nowadays. II has a better plot, but the first one just seems a little more timeless, because of the way it was executed. It has a more genuinely epic feel to it.

I dunno; does any of that make sense?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
warrian (07-21-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 12:38 AM   #4574
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
1235
256
42
Default

I definitely ignore a lot of stupid crap when watching Superman 1 and 2. I feel like I always did though, I always thought stuff like turning back time and throwing his chest logo at people were dumb. It's just that the movies are otherwise so perfectly executed you look past it and love them anyway.

In my experience when people pick movies apart for stuff like that they didn't love the movie to begin with. If you otherwise love a movie then you forgive its issues.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
BNex99 (07-22-2016), Geoff D (08-11-2016), GrouchoFan (07-22-2016), HeavyHitter (08-12-2016), ravenus (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 05:20 AM   #4575
Traveller Traveller is offline
Member
 
Traveller's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Default

Pretty sure I know th answer, but there was nothing on the older DVDs that wasn't ported over to the blu set was there?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:25 AM   #4576
Class316 Class316 is offline
Active Member
 
Mar 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
Pretty sure I know th answer, but there was nothing on the older DVDs that wasn't ported over to the blu set was there?
I believe Superman II theatrical and Superman III DVDs had original 2.0 tracks that were not carried over to blu ray.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:54 PM   #4577
HeavyHitter HeavyHitter is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
HeavyHitter's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
22
Default

I watched the first movie last night (theatrical version). I think all things considered, it's still a rather solid 2K scan (from an IP). Sometimes I feel like the contrast is a wee bit boosted, but it's not an issue and I don't expect these movies to get new 4K scans anytime soon especially considering the studio we're talking about still seems to have little interest in such work. I think the color and shadow detail is very good. The film grain looked a tad bit digitalized and a little blockier earlier on in the movie (it's as if the encoding had a little trouble handling the heavier grain from the optical shots on Krypton), but the grain looked more natural as the movie went on. Overall, I am happy with the presentation on Blu but couldn't help wonder what some work on a nice new 4K transfer would look like. I think we'd see a finer, tighter grain structure, tad more detail, and a little more although no question this is an inherently softer looking movies for reasons previously discussed.

I also watched it with the original stereo track. I don't like some of the revisionist elements to the 5.1 track (the cape flapping, etc.), but I did miss the nice dynamic range and overall fullness and life of that track especially for this kind of movie. I will probably watch the expanded version soon with the 5.1 track. I also like the added scenes of the expanded.
JVC DLA-RS500 front projector
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-980, BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
MartinLogan Motion XT35 (fronts)
MartinLogan Motion 4 (surrounds x 3)
Rythmik dual 12" subs (L12)
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:40 PM   #4578
SethRex SethRex is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
SethRex's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
421
265
403
6
99
Default

I was kinda hoping for a 4 film favorites of the Superman films....but it seems there's no release in sight. The reason I wanted that instead of the 5 film set is cause I already have Returns....unless the one in the 5 film set is a better release.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:32 PM   #4579
PeterTHX PeterTHX is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
PeterTHX's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
561
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
I also watched it with the original stereo track. I don't like some of the revisionist elements to the 5.1 track (the cape flapping, etc.), but I did miss the nice dynamic range and overall fullness and life of that track especially for this kind of movie. I will probably watch the expanded version soon with the 5.1 track. I also like the added scenes of the expanded.
It's just too bad they didn't use the original 70MM track. There was even a prototype test engagement in 5.1, but they didn't use it for the Blu-ray. Fox did it on ALIEN and ALIENS - they have the 5.1 remix, the 4.1 70MM and 2.0 35MM as options on the blu-rays.
BTW - Apocalypse Now was the first to use the finalized 5.1 70MM format, and Superman II used it too.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 06:48 PM   #4580
Dsneybuf Dsneybuf is offline
Active Member
 
Dsneybuf's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethRex View Post
I was kinda hoping for a 4 film favorites of the Superman films....but it seems there's no release in sight. The reason I wanted that instead of the 5 film set is cause I already have Returns....unless the one in the 5 film set is a better release.
The 5 film set has a larger bonus features platter on the Superman Returns disc.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
superman

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:33 PM.