Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Martian Chronicles (Blu-ray)
$25.66
2 hrs ago
The Big Country (Blu-ray)
$19.98
3 hrs ago
Saving Private Ryan 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

The Grand Budapest Hotel (Blu-ray)
$4.99
15 hrs ago
Grease 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Independence Day: Resurgence (Blu-ray)
$4.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Miracle (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Gun Crazy (Blu-ray)
$17.97
2 hrs ago
Sex, Lies, and Videotape (Blu-ray)
$27.37
2 hrs ago
Last Tango in Paris (Blu-ray)
$7.99
9 hrs ago
Dietrich & von Sternberg in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$85.62

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #1

Sep 2009
Default The Egyptian Limited Edition (Sold Out)

Great news for lovers of the classic epics. Never heard of the outfit "Twilight Films," the releasing agent for older 20th Century Fox movies. If this outfit is second tier, let's hope the blu-ray transfers aren't! I am hoping this may also help speed the release of my all-time favorite, 1959's "Journey to the Center of the Earth," in blu-ray!

News
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6335

Silver Screen column on The Egyptian

The Egyptian Blu-ray Review

The Egyptian Blu-ray

Last edited by Deciazulado; 07-15-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad75 View Post
Great news for lovers of the classic epics. Never heard of the outfit "Twilight Films," the releasing agent for older 20th Century Fox movies. If this outfit is second tier, let's hope the blu-ray transfers aren't! I am hoping this may also help speed the release of my all-time favorite, 1959's "Journey to the Center of the Earth," in blu-ray!
Yeah, so whazzup with this Twilight?--Is it a salvage company, like Mill Creek with the Disney films?
Or is it a splinter company of Fox, who's taking the Warner Archive far-back-catalogue idea to a smaller scale commercial level?

(Fox is the only studio who hasn't dabbled in an MOD Archive label yet, so you can blame me for being suspicious...And if so, Paramount and MGM, are you listening? )
Old 05-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Texas

Great News! I will certainly add "The Egyptian" to my collection. It is a very good movie from the golden age of Hollywood.
Drink up, me arties, Yo Ho……

Sony KDSR70XBR2 70", Pioneer Elite BDP95FD Blu Ray player, Pioneer Elite VSX92THX Receiver, SVS 5.1 Speaker System: SVS MTS-01 (Left and Right), SVS MCS-01 (Center), SVS MBS-01 (Surrounds), SVS PB13 Ultra (Sub)
Old 05-06-2011, 03:09 AM   #4
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
Yeah, so whazzup with this Twilight?--Is it a salvage company, like Mill Creek with the Disney films?
Or is it a splinter company of Fox, who's taking the Warner Archive far-back-catalogue idea to a smaller scale commercial level?

(Fox is the only studio who hasn't dabbled in an MOD Archive label yet, so you can blame me for being suspicious...And if so, Paramount and MGM, are you listening? )
I wonder if it's not like their Twilight Time DVD series...
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Old 05-06-2011, 05:22 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011

The book, by a fellow Finn Mika Waltari, is far superior to this film.
Looking for:
La Piscine 1969 (Park Circus; Blu-ray)
Old 05-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #6

Jul 2009
-
-

Quote:
Great news for lovers of the classic epics. Never heard of the outfit "Twilight Films," the releasing agent for older 20th Century Fox movies. If this outfit is second tier, let's hope the blu-ray transfers aren't!
Check out this link someone posted on the comments, you can read two different press releases from this company:

http://www.jonparker.com/oasis3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4798

I've also visited their site and they look nothing like a second tier company. It looks like they know their stuff (they love films) and they do the best they can. In this case, they have to use the master the studio provides them.

Quote:
I am hoping this may also help speed the release of my all-time favorite, 1959's "Journey to the Center of the Earth," in blu-ray!
+1!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

They have confirmed on Facebook that the release will have "uncompressed" 5.1 audio --exact details are awaiting response.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Old 05-08-2011, 05:20 AM   #8

Dec 2010

Have no fear! As stated in the Press Release, the "Twilight Time" series is not some shoddy public-domain offering, but is properly-licensed through 20th Century Fox. The series is the brainchild of well-known filmmaker/restoration expert Nick Redman, who has had several decades of experience in this industry. He knows what he's doing.

All these "Twilight Time" releases utilize fully restored transfers; include an 8-page booklet, poster art & still photo section, and (for some) the music score and possibly other materials. All titles announced thus far are being released as limited editions of 3000 copies each. Retail price is only $19.95.

The "Twilight Time" series is being released exclusively through Screen Archives Entertainment, which is an incredibly reputable company which has been in business for 35+ years. They are one of the largest distributors of soundtracks and movie music in the world; are the official distributors for the wonderful Film Score Monthly (FSM) releases since 2005; and also produce exhaustive restorative film music recordings under their own label.

In other words, we're getting high-quality releases from a reputable company, and nobody need to be concerned about placing any orders through their website. (And for anyone wondering, no… I'm not affiliated with them in any way. Just a happy camper! )

I personally can't wait for The Egyptian, and I'm dying to know what other titles we'll be seeing in future months.

Hope this info helps!
Thanks given by:
joroof (02-23-2016)
Old 05-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #9

Aug 2007
BROOKLYN , N.Y
Default Thanks twilight films

I Have been waiting for years for a decent American DVD release of this movie. What a surprise , Blu Ray in July! Now I hope Twilight will release some of my other favorites on Blu Ray .... "Francis of Assisi " , "Demetrius and the Gladiators" " Journey to the Center of the Earth" "The Story of Ruth "
Old 05-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

I want to add that I Order from http://www.screenarchives.com because i collect film scores. They are a very good company. However those who are used to super fast delivery thru amazon Prime, please brace yourself that they send out orders usually in which they are rec'd and can have about a two day turnaround time for shipping out your item (When it is in stock) Just give yourself a little extra patience for their orders but usually they do come generally first class mail.
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60 Denon X7200WA, Rotel-1582 mkll
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15, EM-R Oppo UPD 205, Oppo BDP 103 Region Free, Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Old 05-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #11
Special Member

Dec 2010

Is this up for preorder yet? I can't seem to find it on the screen archives website.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009

There's talk about the label in this article, along with a lot of other (DVD-related) stuff about cool older flicks:
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies...GD2vXEAt0DUQ0I
Old 05-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #13
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondanto View Post
I Have been waiting for years for a decent American DVD release of this movie. What a surprise , Blu Ray in July! Now I hope Twilight will release some of my other favorites on Blu Ray .... "Francis of Assisi" , "Demetrius and the Gladiators" " Journey to the Center of the Earth" "The Story of Ruth "
O, how I hope someone hears you out. This would be a fantastic release to have.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #14

Aug 2007
BROOKLYN , N.Y
Default The egyptian

Why is screen archives dragging their feet on pre orders ? No notice yet and release date is less than a month away.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:37 AM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN
Default Screen Archives Pre-Order is Up!

15576.jpg

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_...RAY-PRE-ORDER/

Shipping Begins Week of July 12th

Special Features:

Audio Commentary with Film Historians Alain Silver and James Ursini / Isolated Score Track / Original Theatrical Trailer

Language: English

Audio: Stereo (5.1 Surround for Blu-ray)

16 x 9

NTSC

1954 / Color

139 MINUTES

Widescreen Aspect Ratio: 2.55.1

Limited Edition of 3,000 Units for both DVD and Blu-ray release

Feature audio is 5.1 DTS Master Audio, the score is 2.0 DTS Master Audio, and the commentary is 2.0 DTS @ 255kbps
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15, EM-R Oppo UPD 205, Oppo BDP 103 Region Free, Pioneer LD CLD-D505

Last edited by PowellPressburger; 06-20-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:35 AM   #16
Special Member

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellPressburger View Post
Attachment 34340

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_...RAY-PRE-ORDER/

Special Features:

Audio Commentary with Film Historians Alain Silver and James Ursini / Isolated Score Track / Original Theatrical Trailer

Language: English

Audio: Stereo (5.1 Surround for Blu-ray)

16 x 9

NTSC

1954 / Color

139 MINUTES

Widescreen Aspect Ratio: 2.55.1

Limited Edition of 3,000 Units for both DVD and Blu-ray release

While the Audio is listed as BLU - 5.1 I am hoping they mean Uncompressed HD Audio.
Wow, expensive! Oh well sometimes you have to take one for the team to promote further releases such as this
Old 06-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

is this going to be available on amazon also?
or strictly through these guys?
$40--wow, I don't know about that.
I'm sure the price helps defray the restoration costs, etc. etc. but I might have to wait for a higher profile title if that's going to be the standard price point.
I mean I'm all for supporting classic films on blu as much as possible, but OUCH, that hurts.
also: certainly DTS-MA better be included at that price point.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:52 AM   #18
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

If it gets an amazon listing It would more than likely be thru a third party seller. Be prepared for this title to sell out fast.

For those who even buy film scores like I do at sites like INTRADA, FILM SCORE MONTHLY -Distributed by Screen Archives, VARESE SARABANDE, LA LA LAND RECORDS, KRITZERLAND RECORDS etc... we are used to limited edition Film Scores that they release to sell out in a matter of days and sometimes in just HOURS. (Keep in mind we generally collect our favorite film score composers etc)

Last edited by PowellPressburger; 06-16-2011 at 02:58 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:03 AM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

so you're saying people that want this bd better pre-order it on that site or be prepared to possibly not even get a copy?
Old 06-16-2011, 03:07 AM   #20
Power Member

Mar 2010
Atlanta - SteelBooks™: 16

So glad I saw this thread tonight. I just pre-ordered. Looking forward to watching it.

Thanks OP
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?! Why can't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"
-Oddball

My Blu-ray and DVD collection
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America