Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
47 Ronin (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Night of the Living Dead (Blu-ray)
$27.37
Home for the Holidays (Blu-ray)
$11.88
Opera (Blu-ray)
$18.00
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Outsiders: The Complete Novel (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Blade Runner 2049 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Dreamcatcher (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Person of Interest: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.20
Prep & Landing / Prep & Landing: Naughty vs. Nice (Blu-ray)
$8.99
The Silence of the Lambs (Blu-ray)
$30.37
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 01-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #1

Dec 2010
Default Question about TV tables

Right now my 65'' mitsubishi dlp (Weight: 69.4 lbs) is up a good amount higher than the normal viewing angle. Im wanting to get a table for it, but all the tables I see say "For Flat Screens Only, Size limit 42'') or something along those lines. However, when I look at the weight limit, it will say generally about 135 lbs. Ive already checked a few of these, and on a good number of them, my tv would fit on it.

So my question is, is it the weight or the style/size that is the key factor? Ive generally thought that this was for the low information shopper that has a 32'' crttv that weighs 200 lbs so that they dont try and put it on one of these stands.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePriest View Post
Right now my 65'' mitsubishi dlp (Weight: 69.4 lbs) is up a good amount higher than the normal viewing angle. Im wanting to get a table for it, but all the tables I see say "For Flat Screens Only, Size limit 42'') or something along those lines. However, when I look at the weight limit, it will say generally about 135 lbs. Ive already checked a few of these, and on a good number of them, my tv would fit on it.

So my question is, is it the weight or the style/size that is the key factor? Ive generally thought that this was for the low information shopper that has a 32'' crttv that weighs 200 lbs so that they dont try and put it on one of these stands.
I'd be concerned about the center of gravity of the stand. Since the weight of your tv is spread across a wider area it could potentially adversely effect the center of gravity on the stand if it weren't wide/deep enough to handle your tv's extra width.

I am hardly a science student/teacher though and I probably should have just said 'I would be worried that the stand may be too tippy with a bigger tv than it says it would support'
Old 01-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #3

Aug 2012
Houston, TX

The DLP units have all their weight at the bottom of the set, so tipping and center of gravity are not an issue. Certainly not when compared to a LCD/ PDP.

The stand size is usually for the footprint of the set so it doesn't hang off the sides (looks bad and could be a hazard depending on the circumstances). I'd say if the stand will hold the weight (really hard to build something that would qualify as a TV stand if it can't hold 60 lbs...) and it's wide/deep enough, you'll be fine.

Jeff
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction