Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Star Trek: Enterprise: The Full Journey (Blu-ray)
£32.19
The Atom Egoyan Collection (Blu-ray)
£19.99
London Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
£9.99
Star Wars Rebels: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
£17.99
Mr. Robot: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
£9.38
Bates Motel: Season 1-3 (Blu-ray)
£17.09
The Adventures of Antoine Doinel: Five Films by François Truffaut (Blu-ray)
£19.99
Arrow: Seasons 1-3 (Blu-ray)
£24.99
The Hunger Games: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
£19.99
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
£24.09
Penny Dreadful: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
£39.99
The Leos Carax Collection (Blu-ray)
£19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 07-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #36101

Apr 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooniLunes View Post
Received (Second Spin):

All for under £ 20.00 delivered in 6 days!
I've seen references to Second Spin, but the only site I can find appears to be North American as everything's marked up in dollars. Is there a UK version I'm missing?

Desk
Blu-ray wishlist: The Abyss, Bad Day at Black Rock, Big Wednesday, Breakdown, Foul Play, Night Shift, Sleuth.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #36102
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Watched:

Demolition - 5.5/10 (first watch). Gyllenhaal was good (as was Cooper), and the film was well-intentioned, but overall felt a little like a repeat of Wild. Hopefully Vallée isn't starting to repeat himself and follows this up with something a bit more engaging.

Green Room - 6.5/10 (first watch). Similar to Blue Ruin in enjoyment. Some excellent performances (RIP Anton Yelchin) and a masterclass in tone, but the story left a little wanting. Might improve on revisits though.

Mustang - 7/10 (first watch). An impressive little film, with only one major misstep thrown in there. An interesting portrait of conservative Turkish values and the turmoil women have to go through even in moderately religious societies.

JFK - 8/10 (first watch). A corker, and probably both Stone's best and Costner's best. Love the up-and-down momentum of the script, and even if the main character's family scenes are a bit pithy, they can be forgiven for the overall execution. Great score as well!

Mulholland Drive - 7.5/10 (first watch). My first time seeing this and only the third Lynch film I've seen in full. Not sure I should've watched this so late in the evening as I definitely lost it half way through, and was not completely on board with the last half hour or so. I can see why people are enamoured with this films (something of a modern day Vertigo), but I still prefer Blue Velvet's clash of tones. This one's a little too self-aware for my liking, but I may appreciate it more at a later date. I certainly thought about it for a couple of days afterwards.

Cemetery of Splendour - 8.5/10 (first watch). Interestingly, this could've made a good double-bill with the above film. Both tackle imagination and dreams in relation to emotion and compassion in exciting ways. However, I'm obviously a bigger fan of Weerasethakul's gentler methods in this regard. He speaks on a more human wavelength and only occasionally throws in some surreal humour (and again, with delicate precision). Still one of the best filmmakers working today.

Elvis & Nixon - 4.5/10 (first watch). Really wanted to enjoy this, as I'm a big fan of both Shannon and Spacey. Unfortunately, it just felt like a by-the-numbers TV movie and rarely ever showed promise. Such a disappointment - this could have been a solid little comedy.

Knowing - 3.5/10 (first watch). Had seen a scene from this a few years ago and decided to have an OTT Nic Cage evening (we also watched Vampire's Kiss again, which I forgot to log on Letterboxd). Sorry to say it falls into the camp of ridiculous plot and boring Cage performance. The only thing that was OTT in this were the overt religious references. Pretty dumb, and was cackling with laughter by the end.

Jane Eyre - 6.5/10 (first watch). Not a bad effort from Cary Fukunaga (True Detective S1, Sin Nombre, Beasts of No Nation). In fact, this is actually his best film to date I reckon. That said, I'm not a huge fan of the source material so was only really here for the performances...which were surprisingly on-point and mostly engaging. Great to see Dench in there.

Innerspace - 7/10 (first watch). Was on telly but had already started so waited to watch on +1. Glad I did! A very silly Dante entry which is an obvious riff on Fantastic Voyage with an SNL twist (Martin Short of course). The love triangle that erupts is a bit awkward but that just adds to the wackiness if anything. I watched a bit of The Flintstones film afterwards and that could have done with a director such as Dante (or maybe Richard Donner).

Stranger Things - 9/10 (first watch). One of the best Netflix series' so far, definitely. Not only was the acting spot-on from everyone (including Winona Ryder and David Harbour), but the script was exciting and despite alluding to plenty of late 70's/early 80's pulp, actually quite original in some respects. It certainly went in directions you didn't expect and drove the characters into interesting directions. I do hope it's picked up for another season, as I can see this being a big hit for Netflix like House of Cards or Orange is the New Black were. Possibly even bigger, given the tone and period setting.

Gremlins - 7/10 (first watch). Had only seen a bit of this as a kid, so after deciding to get into Dante I gave it a go. I think I enjoyed it a little more than Innerspace, but a bit less than The 'Burbs. The creatures themselves really do get under your skin, for better or worse. Maybe I'm just a tidy person and get wound up by consistent ruffian behaviour, or maybe I just wasn't in the right mood. I can see it going down well at Christmas though! Anyway, it's far darker than I expected it to be and I'm actually surprised they got away with a lot of it!

The Seven-Ups - 7.5/10 (first watch). Not as smooth as Bullitt nor as confident as The French Connection, but it certainly has its qualities. One of those is Roy Scheider in one of the best performances of his that I've seen so far. Another is the excellent score, or lack of score during action scenes (a big plus). The chase scene is exemplary and deserves its esteemed reputation. I only managed one of the many extras on the Signal One disc but this is one I will be sure to revisit and pick apart. Would have made a good double-bill with The Friends of Eddie Coyle I reckon!

Arrived:

Closely Observed Trains and Requiescant from the Arrow sale (I almost bought some others, such as Black Sunday and Hard to Be a God, but will wait 'til next time). The Lady Vanishes and This Sporting Life from the Network sale, as well as The Brink's Job on DVD (almost went mad in this sale, but decided to keep it to just a few). The rest I got on eBay for great prices (a few quid less than they would cost elsewhere). I also picked up some DVDs such as The Twilight Samurai, The Incredible Journey and Igby Goes Down, and a copy of The Cranes Are Flying from eBay.

Ordered:

I did actually cancel this from Amazon, but re-ordered it with £15 of Nectar points on eBay. Only trouble is they haven't dispatched it yet and it was released yesterday...

Won:

Was emailed yesterday saying I won a copy of this! Very happy as it obviously means I won't have to buy a copy now...

Pre-ordered:

I've pre-ordered the first two direct from Arrow, so probably won't cancel them (and if I do, it would probably be Raising Cain first). Not entirely sure whether I absolutely need the LE version of The Hills Have Eyes...I could be just as happy getting a standard edition in a future sale. The Burning (Steelbook) looks great, but I rarely pay over £15 for a title and I could also wait for a standard edition. Dark Water is the most likely of the Arrow titles in October I will keep on pre-order, but I reckon I could get it for a better price nearer release (e.g. 2 for £25).

Tempted:

The Shop on the High Street looks excellent, and I'd be wise to get it sooner rather than later because if anything the Second Run Blu-rays have gone up in price after they've been released. Citizen Kane is part of the 5 for £30/3 for £20 at HMV, so I'd have to get it with a couple of other titles and just deciding which those might be (most of the Arrow titles have been removed from the offer unfortunately). Embrace of the Serpent is great and I'd love to see it again, as well as support the release of it on Blu-ray (glad it's getting such a release). Dekalog looks very much up my street (I heard about it in my teens), but September and October are currently very expensive months...might have to ask for it for birthday/Christmas. Odds Against Tomorrow looks like the best title from the BFI announcements recently (that could well change though).
Thanks given by:
chip75 (07-26-2016), CouncilSpectre (07-26-2016), DaveSimonH (07-26-2016), OgamiittoMcJ (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 03:07 PM   #36103

Apr 2009
Tipton, United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desk. View Post
I've seen references to Second Spin, but the only site I can find appears to be North American as everything's marked up in dollars. Is there a UK version I'm missing?

Desk
They are in the USA. First order I have placed with them and am very impressed with the service
TV: Panasonic TX-50AS650B LED 3D
BD: Panasonic SC-BT885 3D (B)
BD: Panasonic DMP-BD79 (A)

I don't know whether to hop, or skip, or jump... I know I'll can-can Baby Dawn
Old 07-26-2016, 03:11 PM   #36104
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2012
England
United Kingdom

Watched

In 3D
Leonard "Bones" McCoy: Oh, joy. - Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - 1986
Old 07-26-2016, 03:32 PM   #36105
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Arrived:

Pre-ordered:

Watched:

I aim to misbehave....

Last edited by CouncilSpectre; 07-26-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #36106

May 2010
Hoth

Arrived:

What we do in life echoes in eternity - Maximus
Old 07-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #36107
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2013
Glasgow,UK
Smile

Watched 6/10
James
58" Samsung LED - Sky HD - PS3 - Sony BDP-S1200
Onkyo 616 AV receiver - 7.2 setup
Kef Coda 9's, Kef model 90 centre, Kef Coda 70's,Tannoy 628's, Paradigm PDR10 + PDR8 Subwoofers
Old 07-26-2016, 06:22 PM   #36108
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
In the dark, near the Tannhäuser Gate

Watched:
Phyllis: "I was just fixing some ice tea; would you like a glass?"
Walter: "Yeah, unless you got a bottle of beer that's not working"
Old 07-26-2016, 06:36 PM   #36109
Power Member

Oct 2010
UK

Arrived (HMV - 2 for £25):

Has this got the best slipcover of all time, or what?
Old 07-26-2016, 07:46 PM   #36110
Special Member

May 2013
UK

Watched:

Old 07-26-2016, 08:22 PM   #36111
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Watched:
Old 07-26-2016, 10:46 PM   #36112
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Watched:
Old 07-27-2016, 04:05 AM   #36113

Jan 2016

Watched:

Old 07-27-2016, 07:38 AM   #36114
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2012
England
United Kingdom

Watched

Leonard "Bones" McCoy: Oh, joy. - Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - 1986
Old 07-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #36115

Jan 2016

Ordered (from Amazon UK):

Old 07-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #36116
Special Member

May 2013
UK

Watched:

Alien
Old 07-27-2016, 03:19 PM   #36117

Apr 2009
Tipton, United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Watched:

TV: Panasonic TX-50AS650B LED 3D
BD: Panasonic SC-BT885 3D (B)
BD: Panasonic DMP-BD79 (A)

I don't know whether to hop, or skip, or jump... I know I'll can-can Baby Dawn
Old 07-27-2016, 04:25 PM   #36118
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
Scotland, UK

Slight shift in my collection, back under 890 blus, selling some stuff to CeX and a few things going to my dad.
To my dad;
[Show spoiler]

Selling to CeX;
DVDs
[Show spoiler]

blus
[Show spoiler]

Now, what I bought with all that CeX credit;

I had a lot piled up, this CeX trip was a long time coming. A big chunk of the stuff I sold or gave to my dad, most were duplicates or something I intend to replace soon with more recent re-releases (like Highlander, Wrath of Khan & NeverEnding Story).
I had pretty much given up on the idea of getting the Star Wars set, as the "Special cuts" of the original trilogy take me out of the experience so much. But I figured that basically getting it free with credit, I could get it and the 3 bonus discs that as far as I know haven't sold separately (I really wanted to see the content on there).

The Star Wars set and Ghibli films I had to order via their website (using the voucher credit receipt from the store), but the other three I picked up instore.
I got £24 credit for the Scarface "cigar box" set, and put £4 of that towards the standard release. It is a lovely set, but a case of it being worth more to someone else than myself.

Kept putting off getting the Planet Earth Special Edtion, due to the early print issue with discs 2&3 (blown out contrast), but checked some of the episodes on my set and thankfully mine aren't affected.

Last edited by DaveSimonH; 07-29-2016 at 10:42 PM. Reason: "Higlander" to Highlander
Thanks given by:
OgamiittoMcJ (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #36119
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Ordered:

I aim to misbehave....
Old 07-27-2016, 04:37 PM   #36120
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2013
Glasgow,UK
Smile

Bought in HMV today
James
58" Samsung LED - Sky HD - PS3 - Sony BDP-S1200
Onkyo 616 AV receiver - 7.2 setup
Kef Coda 9's, Kef model 90 centre, Kef Coda 70's,Tannoy 628's, Paradigm PDR10 + PDR8 Subwoofers
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland