Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
The Wire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Burnt Offerings (Blu-ray)
$14.49
Miracle Mile (Blu-ray)
$13.49
Jupiter Ascending 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Truck Turner (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Satan Bug (Blu-ray)
$11.49
The Oblong Box (Blu-ray)
$14.49
Alfred Hitchcock: The Classic Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Prime Cut (Blu-ray)
$13.49
Black Sabbath (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Orphan Black: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 07:15 AM   #2021
kidglov3s kidglov3s is online now
Power Member
 
kidglov3s's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlee1991 View Post
It's all good dude! I get a little excited at times... and I just want this damn thing to be all over and done with - these final releases are the final Disney films I haven't even seen, they're not exactly ones you grow up watching... especially those of us who are 90s kids, this was around the time these films started to be swept under the rug, so to speak.

That sounds like a great idea, the Treasures would be next on my list.
Actually, the mid to late 90s was when the package films received the most promotion and attention since their theatrical releases, as Disney began to really push the concept of the "__th Animated Classic" with the video releases. Individual shorts might have popped up here and there, and there were small-run video releases of Ichabod and Mr. Toad and Fun and Fancy Free (with the focus on Mickey and the Beanstalk) in the early 80s, but if anything they were swept under the rug until the 90s, when they were given prominent video releases as 'classics', and have remained perpetually in print on DVD to this day.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
JekYL (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM   #2022
davlee1991 davlee1991 is online now
Active Member
 
davlee1991's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
359
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidglov3s View Post
Actually, the mid to late 90s was when the package films received the most promotion and attention since their theatrical releases, as Disney began to really push the concept of the "__th Animated Classic" with the video releases. Individual shorts might have popped up here and there, and there were small-run video releases of Ichabod and Mr. Toad and Fun and Fancy Free (with the focus on Mickey and the Beanstalk) in the early 80s, but if anything they were swept under the rug until the 90s, when they were given prominent video releases as 'classics', and have remained perpetually in print on DVD to this day.
That's interesting!! It's actually quite different here in Australia, I never knew of these films until around 7 years ago and have held off of watching them in hopes of an eventual blu release. The package films are incredibly hard to find even on DVD here, mind you, you can still find Black Cauldron, though I never grew up on this one either.
Ichabod doesn't have as much of a following here as we don't celebrate Halloween, what I'm aware is a big part of this film's legacy and cult following.

In fact, one of our retailers has just began releasing the "Complete Classics" collection of individual films (20 just released, another batch later in the year) on DVD - the same ones available in the UK late last year.
This "complete" collection only covers 46 films - omitting all 6 package features and presumably 2 others, which I'm guessing will be out of the next batch as everything else is accounted for in the first 20... They've even pulled Snow White out of moratorium for this collection and word is Beauty and the Beast will be for the second batch. FYI, Black Cauldron is included in this collection.
This set even has numbering down the spine, skipping right over the packages... So all of the numbering after Bambi (#5) is incorrect.
Not that I buy DVD, but I think it's such a shame that these important films are ommitted from such a "complete collection" like they don't even exist. And most people, as I myself only but 7 years ago, are none-the-wiser.

Last edited by davlee1991; Yesterday at 08:12 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM   #2023
JekYL JekYL is offline
Active Member
 
JekYL's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Toronto
53
1537
2859
186
253
7
Default

Whoah. You haven't even seen the the unreleased movies...?!
No wonder you're so anxious for these releases! lol

You guys don't have Halloween?!!! Aww man, that sucks. Do you guys have a similar type of celebration at all?
The blackest eyes. The Devil's eyes.

My Thread

My DVDAficionado List

My Movies
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM   #2024
davlee1991 davlee1991 is online now
Active Member
 
davlee1991's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
359
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JekYL View Post
Whoah. You haven't even seen the the unreleased movies...?!
No wonder you're so anxious for these releases! lol

You guys don't have Halloween?!!! Aww man, that sucks. Do you guys have a similar type of celebration at all?
Not in their entirety, nooo!! I'd seen Mickey and the Beanstalk on a Mickey Mouse compilation VHS as a kid prior to seeing F&FF last year for the first time, and come to think of it I've seen various of the shorts from Make Mine Music and Melody Time as part of an incredibly rare package feature called Music Land ... I'm not quite sure what the deal with this film is, but a local cinema which specialises in playing film prints of classic films found it in their archive, it was suspected to have not been played in the country since its original release in 1955... basically it's just MMM and MT shorts stitched together...

Nooo, we don't really - I mean, it's sort of starting to pick up here... people do have Halloween parties and you get a handful of kids Trick-Or-treating... but it's nowhere near as big as it is in the USA or the UK. It's moreso a novelty thing here than an event.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM   #2025
JekYL JekYL is offline
Active Member
 
JekYL's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Toronto
53
1537
2859
186
253
7
Default

Damn. That's crazy to me. I can't imagine growing up without Halloween, but that may be because I'm a total weirdo...
It's strange as it seems like the opposite situation here. Seems like the whole Halloween tradition/celebration has been dying down/waning in interest here in Canada and The States over the last few years...
The blackest eyes. The Devil's eyes.

My Thread

My DVDAficionado List

My Movies
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM   #2026
Ernest Rister Ernest Rister is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Ernest Rister's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlee1991 View Post
Not in their entirety, nooo!! I'd seen Mickey and the Beanstalk on a Mickey Mouse compilation VHS as a kid prior to seeing F&FF last year for the first time, and come to think of it I've seen various of the shorts from Make Mine Music and Melody Time as part of an incredibly rare package feature called Music Land ... I'm not quite sure what the deal with this film is, but a local cinema which specialises in playing film prints of classic films found it in their archive, it was suspected to have not been played in the country since its original release in 1955... basically it's just MMM and MT shorts stitched together...

Nooo, we don't really - I mean, it's sort of starting to pick up here... people do have Halloween parties and you get a handful of kids Trick-Or-treating... but it's nowhere near as big as it is in the USA or the UK. It's moreso a novelty thing here than an event.
Whoah....where'd you see the Music Land feature? It's easily the most obscure feature release ever. Unless someone's added it recently, it doesn't even show up on the imdb. How did Walt handle the framing devices for Music Land? I've always been curious..
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM   #2027
davlee1991 davlee1991 is online now
Active Member
 
davlee1991's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
359
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
Whoah....where'd you see the Music Land feature? It's easily the most obscure feature release ever. Unless someone's added it recently, it doesn't even show up on the imdb. How did Walt handle the framing devices for Music Land? I've always been curious..
There's a theatre here in Melbourne, Aus called The Astor Theatre - it's basically the last remaining single-screen movie palace in the country... It's since been taken over by a large theatre chain... but under its previous tenant, perhaps 2 or 3 years ago, there was a top secret screening of the film which was screened exclusively for the theatre's trust members and supporters.
He'd only recently discovered an original 35mm Technicolor print of the film in his vast collection and put on the screening - as I previously mentioned, for the first time nearly anywhere in the world since 1955.

I happened to know someone who worked there, and knowing my love of Disney he sent me a message telling me to get to the theatre on the Saturday afternoon, no questions asked - and attached these two images:




The owner believed that this was a Canadian-exclusive release, and he's unsure how this copy wound up in the country - I think they kept the screening super-secretive because he wasn't exactly supposed to have it... He even had a few theatre-posters and marquees that he put on display.

The film runs around 75-80 minutes.

This was a very VERY good, well preserved print of the film, which showed little-to-no signs of wear and ageing. The picture, in its original Technicolor format looked spectacular!

Being top-secret, this was an incredibly intimate screening of no more than 30 audience members.

Re: framing devices - this was a pretty straight forward cut and paste job. Apart from a very short opening titles / credits featuring the title "MUSIC LAND" over a still artwork, each of the short was basically shown one after the other without anything in between. From memory, at the conclusion of the last short, the film ends without any further framing, titles or credits...
You could basically make a simple cut of this movie by splicing these clips back to back... the only thing you would be missing is the opening title... the static image it was over was not to dissimilar to the film's poster:



Also worth noting, the Disney Wiki lists the shorts which are featured in this film, however they are not listed in the correct sequencing. I took notes throughout the screening of the shorts within the film and the order in which they appeared. For your reference, Music Land features, in order:

Johnny Fedora and Alice Blue Bonnet
After You've Gone
All The Cats Join In
Once Upon a Wintertime
Blame It On the Samba
here, my notes simply read 'Old Mac' - I'm inclined to believe that it is the short, Jack and Old Mac, or perhaps even just the second half of this short. However, this short was released separately one year later in 1956. Viewing this short back on YouTube I definitely have seen it and outside of this film I can't imagine where I would have watched it
Casey at the Bat
Bumble Boogie
Pecos Bill

The Disney Wiki does not make mention of the 'Old Mac' short, however it does make mention of the short 'Trees' - I don't remember this being in the print I saw, yet the film's poster makes mention of Fred Waring and his Pennsylvanians who performed this short's soundtrack, so it must have been in there somewhere at some point.

For a little extra background on the film for those who have never heard of it, the "Lost Media Wiki" describes it as follows:

Quote:
Music Land was a package feature produced by Walt Disney Productions in 1955.

Following Howard Hughes' takeover of RKO, Walt Disney was very worried about the future prospects of the studio. He did not trust Hughes to make the right decisions with the distribution of his films and wanted to sever ties immediately. However, Disney was still contractually obligated to deliver one more film to RKO after the release of Peter Pan in 1953.

To fulfil that contract, Disney re-edited segments from Make Mine Music and Melody Time together. The shorts were the same (and the full version of those films are still in circulation today) but the film featured a new intro, new transitions between the shorts, and a new ending. Although rushed, it counted as a feature film and fulfilled Disney's contract with RKO. Walt Disney would go on to use the Buena Vista Film Distribution company to distribute his films. Although that brand has been mostly retired, Buena Vista is still occasionally used for Disney's DVD releases.

Music Land was never shown after its release outside of a special showing at the National Film Theater as a tribute to Walt Disney. It has never been made available on home video and was officially removed from the Disney canon in 1985. Very little information about the film can be found online today, although lobby cards and advertisement material is available.

Last edited by davlee1991; Yesterday at 02:44 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
2sday (Yesterday), Chaz05 (Yesterday), DJMcNiff (Yesterday), Ernest Rister (Yesterday), kidglov3s (Yesterday), PVictor (Yesterday), that1guystudios (Yesterday), Tiberius (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM   #2028
Zak2000 Zak2000 is offline
Active Member
 
Zak2000's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Austria
155
51
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JekYL View Post
Damn. That's crazy to me. I can't imagine growing up without Halloween, but that may be because I'm a total weirdo...
It's strange as it seems like the opposite situation here. Seems like the whole Halloween tradition/celebration has been dying down/waning in interest here in Canada and The States over the last few years...
Well, it's more weird that americans celebrate our festival instead of us. As you maybe know, Halloween originates from european celtic tribes - or better said - directly from austria and later other countries, like germany, france and italy, to honor passed away people and praying for the dead in general.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM   #2029
PVictor PVictor is offline
Member
 
PVictor's Avatar
 
Oct 2011
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlee1991 View Post
That's okay, I'll just stop trying to make an effort for this group.
It's almost as if we can't use these "discussion boards" for any kind of discussion unless something's actually official.

FYI - I've contacted three people in my entire history here -
Once when I message BVHE for some info when everyone was being encouraged to get in touch with them in regards to upcoming releases
Secondly, this past weekend when I sent a message off to the artist of this artwork that everyone wanted a little more info on. Worth a shot right?
And thirdly, just today when people were questioning the validity of the Twitter posting and I made the effort to get in touch with the guy to find out what was going on...

But never worry, I'll not make the effort henceforward, and will only contribute when there's something "official" that won't disappoint everyone who clicks onto the thread.

Toodleoo
There there Dave. *hugs*
Don't worry, I enjoy your posts a LOT! Please, keep this thread alive for our sake. And please, keep being as enthusiastic as you are. I always smile reading your posts. I'm crazy enough to visualize some people in here with certain emotions lol.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
davlee1991 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM   #2030
PVictor PVictor is offline
Member
 
PVictor's Avatar
 
Oct 2011
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Default

And WOW, what an experience it must have been watching Music Land in a movie theater!!
I remember in the 90s, I was very small and Disney started doing re-runs of the animated classics in the movies alongside the coming of the renaissance features. It was a magical time to grow up, I got to watch the best of both worlds. And I thought they were just being released one after another. I had no idea that most of them were as old as my grandparents lol.
But some of them, like the package movies never were re-released in the movies, at least not here in Brazil. These I remember watching at home on VHS, along with the short subjects.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM   #2031
Ernest Rister Ernest Rister is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Ernest Rister's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
1
1
Default

It's always surprising to me they didn't include "Peter and the Wolf" in Music Land.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM   #2032
disneyfreak53 disneyfreak53 is offline
Junior Member
 
Jul 2015
Providence, RI
1
Default

If this cover art is legit and the bluray really is coming out, then Make Mine Music/Melody Time and The Black Cauldron can't be far behind!
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM   #2033
Wman1996 Wman1996 is offline
Member
 
Wman1996's Avatar
 
Jul 2012
Michigan
64
123
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidglov3s View Post
Actually, the mid to late 90s was when the package films received the most promotion and attention since their theatrical releases, as Disney began to really push the concept of the "__th Animated Classic" with the video releases. Individual shorts might have popped up here and there, and there were small-run video releases of Ichabod and Mr. Toad and Fun and Fancy Free (with the focus on Mickey and the Beanstalk) in the early 80s, but if anything they were swept under the rug until the 90s, when they were given prominent video releases as 'classics', and have remained perpetually in print on DVD to this day.
It was nice to see the package features get their due back in the day. Before the advent of DVD and Blu-ray, the Disney Animated Classics seemed to be treated much more equally. Sure there were some that got extras on VHS and LaserDisc, but they were not a vast majority.
Blu-ray owner since 2010.

Wishlist - Avatar: The Last Airbender, The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, The Prince of Egypt
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM   #2034
davlee1991 davlee1991 is online now
Active Member
 
davlee1991's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
359
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVictor View Post
There there Dave. *hugs*
Don't worry, I enjoy your posts a LOT! Please, keep this thread alive for our sake. And please, keep being as enthusiastic as you are. I always smile reading your posts. I'm crazy enough to visualize some people in here with certain emotions lol.
Hehe thanks very much - I'm very enthusiastic about these releases and just trying to keep te anticipation going and trying to keep everyone in tune. There's nothing worse than when a thread dies off for six months

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVictor View Post
And WOW, what an experience it must have been watching Music Land in a movie theater!!
I remember in the 90s, I was very small and Disney started doing re-runs of the animated classics in the movies alongside the coming of the renaissance features. It was a magical time to grow up, I got to watch the best of both worlds. And I thought they were just being released one after another. I had no idea that most of them were as old as my grandparents lol.
But some of them, like the package movies never were re-released in the movies, at least not here in Brazil. These I remember watching at home on VHS, along with the short subjects.
Ohhh it was a wonderful experience, not just at how special the screening was, but to see it on an ORIGINAL Technicolor print in a theatre twenty years older than the film itself!

See, that's incredible! They never re-released ANY of these shorts theatrically here! That would have been really wonderful. Closest I ever got to seeing older shorts were on compilation Mickey Mouse VHSs.

That's what I love about Disney animations - how they remain so timeless, and to a child how they seem so new and so fresh, oblivious to the fact that some of these shorts are almost 100 years old. It's an incredible testament to Walt Disney's work... The only other film I can think of that has such a timeless effect is The Wizard of Oz (which I've seen screened at this theatre as well!)
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
PVictor (Today)
Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM   #2035
davlee1991 davlee1991 is online now
Active Member
 
davlee1991's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
359
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfreak53 View Post
If this cover art is legit and the bluray really is coming out, then Make Mine Music/Melody Time and The Black Cauldron can't be far behind!
It's not so much a case of, is it 'legit'... Because it definitely is! This art comes direct from the source of the artwork'a painter. The real question is... How old was this commission? Is this a recent artwork or an older commission for a set that never came to fruition? I like to think it's the former!

And yessss this surely bodes well for other future releases!!
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM   #2036
celticmoon celticmoon is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Apr 2011
295
8
3
Default

Yeah, the artwork itself is legitimate, but I think we can be fairly certain that somebody else put the Blu-ray border around it, judging from the fact that all of Disney's more recent releases list the digital copy as "Digital HD" now instead of "Digital Copy." I hope it was a recent commission as well!
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM   #2037
davlee1991 davlee1991 is online now
Active Member
 
davlee1991's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
359
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticmoon View Post
Yeah, the artwork itself is legitimate, but I think we can be fairly certain that somebody else put the Blu-ray border around it, judging from the fact that all of Disney's more recent releases list the digital copy as "Digital HD" now instead of "Digital Copy." I hope it was a recent commission as well!
Ohhh, you meant the actual cover version of it... Yeah, there's something very suss about it. And if you note, the Disney logo looks squashed and has some fringing...
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
animated, animation, canon, classics, disney, official, pixar, release, status

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:24 AM.