Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Game of Thrones: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Jurassic World 3D Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$39.49
London Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Pioneers of African American Cinema (Blu-ray)
$63.29
Twin Peaks: The Original Series, Fire Walk With Me & The Missing Pieces (Blu-ray)
$49.36
Supergirl: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$36.99
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.69
Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The BFG (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Pan's Labyrinth (Blu-ray)
$27.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #1141

Mar 2011
Minnesota

Had forgotten to check back in on this situation, but still only available in Canada over a month later, huh?

That's so weird.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #1142
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblefeet View Post
Yeah, I can also imagine lots of people not being overly familiar with Sorcerer given for a long time it was plagued by its reputation of bombing heavily and it being considered inferior to the original. I imagine many are discovering the movie for the first time on blu-ray which is a good thing.
Agreed - and, the fact that a decent print of the film wasn't available on home video for years (until the DVD/Blu in 2014) had a lot to do with this as well.

I remember being intrigued by the movie, but wasn't too impressed by the P.O.S. DVD that came out years ago since the print was extremely poor; it appeared to be a pan & scan VHS rip, and as such I was very disappointed by my one viewing of this - and it definitely marred my opinion of the film. In fact, that print was so bad that in many scenes I couldn't even make out the picture - terrible.

However, when I saw the movie on Blu, I was stunned - wow, what a great film! In fact, I consider Sorcerer far superior to the older film it's based on, Wages of Fear. Not only is Sorcerer a better film visually, but it's good to see the back-story explaining why the characters had ended up in the middle of nowhere - this exposition was completely missing from WOF.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 07-11-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:47 PM   #1143
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
United States
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
Agreed - and, the fact that a decent print of the film wasn't available on home video for years (until the DVD/Blu in 2014) had a lot to do with this as well.

I remember being intrigued by the movie, but wasn't too impressed by the P.O.S. DVD that came out years ago since the print was extremely poor; it appeared to be a pan & scan VHS rip, and as such I was very disappointed by my one viewing of this - and it definitely marred my opinion of the film.

However, when I saw the movie on Blu, I was stunned - wow, what a great film! In fact, I consider Sorcerer far superior to the older film it's based on, Wages of Fear. Not only is Sorcerer a better film visually, but it good to see the back-story explaining why the characters had ended up in the middle of nowhere - this exposition was completely missing from WOF.
Agreed on these points as well. I sometimes tend to not give remakes the benefit of the doubt (figured I'd already seen the original and a lot of remakes are inferior by comparison anyway), but being a fan of Friedkin's other work I was compelled to check out this one. Wow! Beautiful looking print, and tension and thrills that outdo the original in all regards. This is a fantastic film, and definitely one of Friedkin's best.
A fan of Classic Films and Genre Trash.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #1144
Special Member

Oct 2012
Northern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
In fact, I consider Sorcerer far superior to the older film it's based on, Wages of Fear. Not only is Sorcerer a better film visually, but it good to see the back-story explaining why the characters had ended up in the middle of nowhere - this exposition was completely missing from WOF.
I know we're probably in the minority on this opinion, but I totally agree. For some reason, a lot of fans of WOF hate the backstories which I think is really the core of Sorcerer and what makes this film great. This is one of my all-time favorite films with tremendous replay value. My wife hates it though (she thinks it's too boring), so I have to watch this when she's not around. Then again, she's usually on her iPhone most of the time when we watch movies, so I guess that's a good thing.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:49 AM   #1145
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Australia

The Blu-Ray release from France seems to have better compression than the U.S release - http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=8492&d2=3967&c=1637
Old 07-10-2016, 02:42 AM   #1146
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
The Blu-Ray release from France seems to have better compression than the U.S release - http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=8492&d2=3967&c=1637
Yep, I already noted it in my thread.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:24 AM   #1147
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
The US release shows no compression issues in motion, I assure you. It looked gorgeous!
Old 07-11-2016, 10:20 AM   #1148
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
The US release shows no compression issues in motion, I assure you. It looked gorgeous!
I have both editions, and I can assure you that the French edition is noticeably better. I have a friend who has both editions too and a projector. Again, the French edition is noticeably better.
Thanks given by:
tenia (07-11-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America