Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Agent Carter: The Complete Fir… $25.19 (41% claimed)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Resident Evil Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$99.99
Star Trek Enterprise: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$77.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$71.99
Independence Day: Resurgence (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Essential Holiday Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$15.99
The Hunger Games 4-Film Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Before Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$65.59
The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Godfather Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-07-2016, 02:38 PM   #1141

Mar 2011
Minnesota

Had forgotten to check back in on this situation, but still only available in Canada over a month later, huh?

That's so weird.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #1142
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblefeet View Post
Yeah, I can also imagine lots of people not being overly familiar with Sorcerer given for a long time it was plagued by its reputation of bombing heavily and it being considered inferior to the original. I imagine many are discovering the movie for the first time on blu-ray which is a good thing.
Agreed - and, the fact that a decent print of the film wasn't available on home video for years (until the DVD/Blu in 2014) had a lot to do with this as well.

I remember being intrigued by the movie, but wasn't too impressed by the P.O.S. DVD that came out years ago since the print was extremely poor; it appeared to be a pan & scan VHS rip, and as such I was very disappointed by my one viewing of this - and it definitely marred my opinion of the film. In fact, that print was so bad that in many scenes I couldn't even make out the picture - terrible.

However, when I saw the movie on Blu, I was stunned - wow, what a great film! In fact, I consider Sorcerer far superior to the older film it's based on, Wages of Fear. Not only is Sorcerer a better film visually, but it's good to see the back-story explaining why the characters had ended up in the middle of nowhere - this exposition was completely missing from WOF.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 07-11-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #1143
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
United States
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
Agreed - and, the fact that a decent print of the film wasn't available on home video for years (until the DVD/Blu in 2014) had a lot to do with this as well.

I remember being intrigued by the movie, but wasn't too impressed by the P.O.S. DVD that came out years ago since the print was extremely poor; it appeared to be a pan & scan VHS rip, and as such I was very disappointed by my one viewing of this - and it definitely marred my opinion of the film.

However, when I saw the movie on Blu, I was stunned - wow, what a great film! In fact, I consider Sorcerer far superior to the older film it's based on, Wages of Fear. Not only is Sorcerer a better film visually, but it good to see the back-story explaining why the characters had ended up in the middle of nowhere - this exposition was completely missing from WOF.
Agreed on these points as well. I sometimes tend to not give remakes the benefit of the doubt (figured I'd already seen the original and a lot of remakes are inferior by comparison anyway), but being a fan of Friedkin's other work I was compelled to check out this one. Wow! Beautiful looking print, and tension and thrills that outdo the original in all regards. This is a fantastic film, and definitely one of Friedkin's best.
A fan of The Classics and Genre Trash.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:08 PM   #1144
Special Member

Oct 2012
Northern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
In fact, I consider Sorcerer far superior to the older film it's based on, Wages of Fear. Not only is Sorcerer a better film visually, but it good to see the back-story explaining why the characters had ended up in the middle of nowhere - this exposition was completely missing from WOF.
I know we're probably in the minority on this opinion, but I totally agree. For some reason, a lot of fans of WOF hate the backstories which I think is really the core of Sorcerer and what makes this film great. This is one of my all-time favorite films with tremendous replay value. My wife hates it though (she thinks it's too boring), so I have to watch this when she's not around. Then again, she's usually on her iPhone most of the time when we watch movies, so I guess that's a good thing.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:49 AM   #1145
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Australia

The Blu-Ray release from France seems to have better compression than the U.S release - http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=8492&d2=3967&c=1637
Old 07-10-2016, 03:42 AM   #1146
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
The Blu-Ray release from France seems to have better compression than the U.S release - http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=8492&d2=3967&c=1637
Yep, I already noted it in my thread.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:24 AM   #1147
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
The US release shows no compression issues in motion, I assure you. It looked gorgeous!
Old 07-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #1148
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
The US release shows no compression issues in motion, I assure you. It looked gorgeous!
I have both editions, and I can assure you that the French edition is noticeably better. I have a friend who has both editions too and a projector. Again, the French edition is noticeably better.
Favourite films of 2016 : 1. Elle - Paul Verhoeven 2. Goksung (The Wailing) - Na Hong-jin

The plural of GIALLO is GIALLI
Thanks given by:
tenia (07-11-2016)
Old 08-13-2016, 04:24 AM   #1149
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Pittsburgh

So WB reissued this in a standard case just a few months ago but now that version is OOP too? What's going on with this release?
Films and movies are two different things.

My Criterion
My Criterion Top Ten
My small LaserDisc collection
Old 08-13-2016, 07:36 PM   #1150
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2013
-
-
-

I own the digibook.................

.... signed by the director
~RANKING 2016 FILMS~

nintendo switch master race

RIP Grimmie
Old 08-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #1151
Power Member

Jul 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecrackker View Post
I own the digibook.................

.... signed by the director
Who knew Topper had an account?

Qui Ben Han.
Thanks given by:
AlexIlDottore (08-18-2016), Arawn (08-14-2016), Egons Ghost (08-14-2016), starman15317 (08-18-2016)
Old 08-13-2016, 11:52 PM   #1152
Special Member

Oct 2013
S.E. Michigan
Question

I've never seen this. The guys on Half in the Bag (Red Letter Media) said it has a similar setup to Suicide Squad, but executed much better. Accurate?
Casual Funko Pop collector. Check out my Collection! Here is my Want List.

Have to trade: SS Joker (Boxer) (Target), Golden Freddy (Summer Con / Walmart), Ghostbusters 3-pack (Gatekeeper / Zuul / Keymaster) (Walmart).
Old 08-14-2016, 12:58 AM   #1153
Expert Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillamon51 View Post
I've never seen this. The guys on Half in the Bag (Red Letter Media) said it has a similar setup to Suicide Squad, but executed much better. Accurate?
Exactly like Suicide Squad.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:18 AM   #1154

Jan 2012
Poughkeepsie, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillamon51 View Post
It's an apples to oranges comparison, yet Jay's right in an overall sense. Both films introduce us to the main characters by showing us the crimes they committed, which led them to "participate" in the events of their respective films. Suicide Squad: Venturing into a war-torn city to extract someone. Sorcerer: Hauling nitroglycerin from Point A to Point B.
Before we get started, does anyone want to get out?
Thanks given by:
Zillamon51 (08-14-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #1155

Dec 2013
666**, ZIP Code of the Damned

Roger Ebert: "it's not so much what it's about, it's how it's about it."
Old 08-14-2016, 06:07 PM   #1156
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Watsonville, California

So should I try to find either the Digibook or Standard release second hand for this? Haven't seen this movie in a very long time and I'm sure one of my friends owns it. Remembered it's a bit of a remake of Wages of Fear.
Maybe next time I'm in Fry's or the usual second hand stores I frequent I'll see if they have it and how much it's being sold for.
My Complete Collection <- Always being Updated.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:06 AM   #1157
Expert Member

Sep 2013

Inspired by the revival of this topic I finally watched the Wages of Fear (on Hulu). I liked it a lot, but I like Sorcerer more.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I'd seen the original first, but that ship sailed thirty-nine years ago. Besides, I never had an opportunity to see a French film until the next year, when I moved to the big city for college.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #1158
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Rogers View Post
So should I try to find either the Digibook or Standard release second hand for this? Haven't seen this movie in a very long time and I'm sure one of my friends owns it. Remembered it's a bit of a remake of Wages of Fear.
Maybe next time I'm in Fry's or the usual second hand stores I frequent I'll see if they have it and how much it's being sold for.
Go for whatever you can find cheaper. The digibook only has an extract from Friedkin's excellent autobiography as an extra, and that can be bought separately.
Favourite films of 2016 : 1. Elle - Paul Verhoeven 2. Goksung (The Wailing) - Na Hong-jin

Old 08-18-2016, 11:45 AM   #1159
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexIlDottore View Post
I have both editions, and I can assure you that the French edition is noticeably better. I have a friend who has both editions too and a projector. Again, the French edition is noticeably better.
How English friendly is the french disk?

Nice list of extra features...

" Sorcerers " : an interview between William Friedkin and Nicolas Winding Refn ( 74 ')

" Metaphysics of fear" : Philippe Rouyer about Sorcerer (25 ')

William Friedkin on the set of Sorcerer : archival document (6 ')

French Trailer

original trailer

Gallery poster projects
Old 08-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #1160
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Darren View Post
How English friendly is the french disk?

Nice list of extra features...

" Sorcerers " : an interview between William Friedkin and Nicolas Winding Refn ( 74 ')

" Metaphysics of fear" : Philippe Rouyer about Sorcerer (25 ')

William Friedkin on the set of Sorcerer : archival document (6 ')

French Trailer

original trailer

Gallery poster projects
To save me testing my disc, dvd compare have details :
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison....php?fid=27425

The Refn/Friedkin interview and trailers are in English with burnt-in French subtitles, the interview with Philippe Rouyer is in French without any subtitles and the featurette has no dialogue.

If you're lucky enough to find the limited edition, the script is in English.

The film itself isn't English friendly though, as the passage in France at the beginning with Bruno Cremer etc isn't subtitled in English.

Thanks given by:
#Darren (08-18-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America