Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Ultimate Laika Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
10 Cloverfield Lane (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$14.99
High Noon (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Creed (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Fairy Tail: Part Twenty Two (Blu-ray)
$42.99
In the Heart of the Sea (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Count Dracula's Great Love (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Cat's Eye (Blu-ray)
$9.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-28-2016, 08:52 AM   #1941
Expert Member

Jun 2010
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFox View Post
Maybe he realized he was hittin' the bong too much when he decided to add that crap in.

What exactly are these bongs all about? I haven't heard anything about them, did he add bong sounds to the film?!
Old 07-28-2016, 09:01 AM   #1942
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jonezzz... View Post
What exactly are these bongs all about? I haven't heard anything about them, did he add bong sounds to the film?!
There are short flashback clips and the ringing of a gong used repeatedly in a key scene in the movie, which were added to most of the the home video releases, but are not in the original theatrical release. The purpose was to remind viewers who certain characters were that are named in the interrogation scene, but it's very unnecessary and the loud BONG chime from the gong ruins the mood of the scene.
Sony BDP-S580 | Samsung T240HD

Girls With Guns: "I really dig the chick with the knife - waifu material for sure!"
Old 07-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #1943
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
The Land Of The Scots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolty View Post
Trek 6 can't have seamless branching.
The DC and the theatrical have different aspect ratios.
It might be possible seeing as The Evil Dead BD is presented with both aspect ratios via seamless branching.
Normal is boring
Thanks given by:
Bolty (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 09:27 AM   #1944
Expert Member

Jun 2010
Scotland

Quote:
There are short flashback clips and the ringing of a gong used repeatedly in a key scene in the movie, which were added to most of the the home video releases, but are not in the original theatrical release. The purpose was to remind viewers who certain characters were that are named in the interrogation scene, but it's very unnecessary and the loud BONG chime from the gong ruins the mood of the scene.
Thanks for the info! I'm going to be revisiting this having not seen it for quite some time so I'll be listening out for the 'bongs'!
Old 07-28-2016, 02:48 PM   #1945
Expert Member

Sep 2014

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I'm going to be revisiting this having not seen it for quite some time so I'll be listening out for the 'bongs'!
They're only in the 2003 DVD release.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:57 PM   #1946
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnex99 View Post
they're only in the 2003 dvd release and all the blu-ray releases. They are not present in the original (non-anamorphic) dvd release.
ftfy

Girls With Guns: "I really dig the chick with the knife - waifu material for sure!"
Old 07-28-2016, 09:23 PM   #1947
Expert Member

Sep 2014

Quote:
ftfy
No, the Blu-ray is the theatrical version, so those flashbacks aren't there at all, let alone the accompanying sound effects.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #1948
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fallen Deity View Post
It might be possible seeing as The Evil Dead BD is presented with both aspect ratios via seamless branching.
Um, no it isn't. The 4:3 and 1.85 versions are entirely seperate encodes, on the US disc they are anyway. And branching makes zero sense when you're dealing with two versions of a movie that are in completely different fixed aspect ratios, as what are you branching - as in sharing between each version - exactly? I can see that working if you wanted to present a fixed AR and a shifting AR version on one disc, you just branch off to the alternate AR when you need it, but two different fixed ARs would need two different encodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Except the 2.35 composition is "perfect" for all intents and purposes. Not to mention the bridge viewscreen is also in a 'scope ratio.

All the rest of the films are 'scope. Trek VI in 2:1 stands out like a sore thumb.
Well, I wasn't arguing for 2:1 as a personal aesthetic preference, Pete old buddy old pal, but it's what Meyer wants for his film. Me, I love having it in 2.35, but that's what's so heartbreaking about the 2009 Blu-ray: it's the best cut of the film in the intended AR...and it looks like ****ing garbage.

Last edited by Geoff D; 07-28-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Thanks given by:
PeterTHX (07-29-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 09:36 PM   #1949
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Um, no it isn't. The 4:3 and 1.85 versions are entirely seperate encodes, on the US disc they are anyway. And branching makes zero sense when you're dealing with two versions of a movie that are in completely different fixed aspect ratios, as what are you branching - as in sharing between each version - exactly? I can see that working if you wanted to present a fixed AR and a shifting AR version on one disc, you just branch off to the alternate AR when you need it, but two different ARs would need two different encodes.
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. I wondered if they could overlay the black bars to create the theatrical ratio in the same way they overlay the subtitles on the picture.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:40 PM   #1950
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolty View Post
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. I wondered if they could overlay the black bars to create the theatrical ratio in the same way they overlay the subtitles on the picture.
Sure, that'd work with something that's been opened up using a common framing line (usually "common top" with Super 35), but from comparing the caps of the different ARs of ST VI it's not just a simple case of overlaying the bars on the opened up version because the 'top' has been reframed from shot to shot.
Thanks given by:
Bolty (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 09:50 PM   #1951
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNex99 View Post
No, the Blu-ray is the theatrical version, so those flashbacks aren't there at all, let alone the accompanying sound effects.
Oh, I stand corrected, then. I was under the impression once it was added it was a part of all releases since then. The additions to that scene was one reason I have been avoiding getting this on blu-ray up to this point (the DNR being the major reason, though).

Old 07-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #1952
Expert Member

Jun 2010
Scotland

Quote:
Oh, I stand corrected, then. I was under the impression once it was added it was a part of all releases since then. The additions to that scene was one reason I have been avoiding getting this on blu-ray up to this point (the DNR being the major reason, though).
So the 'bongs' aren't on the Blu-ray?
Old 07-29-2016, 10:14 AM   #1953
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
So the 'bongs' aren't on the Blu-ray?
No only the Directors Edition DVD.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:45 AM   #1954
Expert Member

Jun 2010
Scotland

Cool, although I'm almost sad as I was curious to hear them now .
Old 07-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #1955
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
The Land Of The Scots

Quote:
Um, no it isn't. The 4:3 and 1.85 versions are entirely seperate encodes, on the US disc they are anyway. And branching makes zero sense when you're dealing with two versions of a movie that are in completely different fixed aspect ratios, as what are you branching - as in sharing between each version - exactly? I can see that working if you wanted to present a fixed AR and a shifting AR version on one disc, you just branch off to the alternate AR when you need it, but two different fixed ARs would need two different encodes.

Well, I wasn't arguing for 2:1 as a personal aesthetic preference, Pete old buddy old pal, but it's what Meyer wants for his film. Me, I love having it in 2.35, but that's what's so heartbreaking about the 2009 Blu-ray: it's the best cut of the film in the intended AR...and it looks like ****ing garbage.
I see, I wasn't completely sure tbh.

So basically you would need a separate disc for the theatrical cut if it were to be presented in it's original 2:35.1 aspect ratio if the extended cut were to be presented in a 2:1 aspect ratio?
Normal is boring
Old 07-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #1956
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2006

Quote:
Sure, that'd work with something that's been opened up using a common framing line (usually "common top" with Super 35), but from comparing the caps of the different ARs of ST VI it's not just a simple case of overlaying the bars on the opened up version because the 'top' has been reframed from shot to shot.
Yeah, the film is full frame and I mean *full frame*. I have videotape clips from when the movie opened in 1991 on shows like Entertainment Tonight and Good Morning America and they showed a couple scenes from the movie in them - there is miles of extra ceiling and bottom that aren't on any other version on home video. Even the "full screen" version on VHS wasn't completely opened up, it was slightly panned and scanned. Only the FX shots had severe cropping though, they were shot 2:1 to 2.35 to 1.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:10 PM   #1957

Jul 2016

I think it's very reasonable to ask for proper 4K scans of all six original cast movies without a major slathering of DNR and EE all over the picture, as well as the options to pick the director's cuts of TWoK and TUC (we just got one, now give us the other) over the theatrical cuts. Also, original audio on disc with modern surround sound remixes.

Just give us that much, you lazy pigs. It's really not too much to ask for (*cough* *cough* TMP Director's Edition *cough*)...
Thanks given by:
Lionel Horsepackage (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 08:45 PM   #1958

Mar 2010
Room 303, The Heart o' the City Hotel
Send a message via AIM to Lionel Horsepackage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalashaska View Post
I think it's very reasonable to ask for proper 4K scans of all six original cast movies without a major slathering of DNR and EE all over the picture, as well as the options to pick the director's cuts of TWoK and TUC (we just got one, now give us the other) over the theatrical cuts. Also, original audio on disc with modern surround sound remixes.
Also, the ABC Television version of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, if Paramount is utterly unwilling to spend the dough to remaster the Robert Wise cut's visual effects -- we'd be talking about a situation exactly like the new Wrath of Khan disc, where all you'd need to do is scan the neg, not re-render new CG effects-work. At this point, I'm hungry for either longer version of TMP over the incredibly-anemic (in terms of character-development) theatrical print, and the "Special Longer Version" seems like our best shot now.
"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."
Thanks given by:
Bolty (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 09:37 PM   #1959
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Yeah, the film is full frame and I mean *full frame*. I have videotape clips from when the movie opened in 1991 on shows like Entertainment Tonight and Good Morning America and they showed a couple scenes from the movie in them - there is miles of extra ceiling and bottom that aren't on any other version on home video. Even the "full screen" version on VHS wasn't completely opened up, it was slightly panned and scanned. Only the FX shots had severe cropping though, they were shot 2:1 to 2.35 to 1.
That's 4-perf S35 for you. I remember seeing a 4:3 trailer that blatantly showed an overhead boom mike following someone along a hallway, it wasn't there on the 4:3 VHS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fallen Deity View Post
I see, I wasn't completely sure tbh.

So basically you would need a separate disc for the theatrical cut if it were to be presented in it's original 2:35.1 aspect ratio if the extended cut were to be presented in a 2:1 aspect ratio?
Depends on how skilled the encoding is, they could put both of the separate encodes on the same disc as per Evil Dead.
Thanks given by:
The Fallen Deity (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 12:11 AM   #1960

Jun 2007

Quote:
Cool, although I'm almost sad as I was curious to hear them now .
Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeGI...outu.be&t=8m8s

I've said it before, but I hate this change. The new flashbacks are just awful.
Thanks given by:
SeaFox (07-30-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America