Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Game of Thrones: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Jurassic World 3D Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$39.49
Twin Peaks: The Original Series, Fire Walk With Me & The Missing Pieces (Blu-ray)
$49.36
London Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supergirl: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$36.99
Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.55
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The BFG (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Banshee: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$25.21
Carrie (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.37
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-22-2016, 08:32 PM   #5001
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCarpenterFan View Post
The scene near the beginning with Brody and the young man walking on the beach was the one that struck me as being the worst.
Will need to watch again
Revionist audio and video is for the cheap seats
Physical media Fo lyfe.
The Scott Bros. do no wrong.
Dolby Vision is a company grasping at relevance.
Bring back and refine SXRD displays.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:13 AM   #5002
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike View Post
Exactly its not trash, but it could look better
I noticed it with the ariel on the Jeep it would create trails at times
More so in the dcp on a real cinema screen
I know you won't reply to this mike but, funnily enough, that was one of the things I concentrated on when looking for trails, and I didn't see anything amiss.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:20 AM   #5003
Special Member

Sep 2011
Los Angeles

Once again... give any release time, no matter how celebrated it is, and people will start calling it out.

I don't know how perfect the release has to be, but this is my favorite movie and I've seen it more than any other and I'm still in love with this disc. I'll take Spielberg's sign-off as the best resource on how this should look. There's definitely a distinction between the blu and the negative, but I'm fine with it.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:48 AM   #5004

May 2013

Incase this is of interest to anyone, this is a video I did for a discussion on originaltrilogy.com about two or three months ago where I point that even various versions of the films original mono had some differences. It's about 20 minutes long so headsup.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:00 AM   #5005
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Central California

Watched this about a couple weeks for the 4th of July and yeah, the Blu-ray looks (and sounds) fantastic!
Tumblr & Blog

Favorite Movies
Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, Jaws, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Lethal Weapon, Aliens, Jurassic Park, Blade Runner, Halloween
Thanks given by:
ImAWalkingCorpse (07-23-2016), the sordid sentinel (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 02:03 AM   #5006
Expert Member

Jun 2009
GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
Watched this about a couple weeks for the 4th of July and yeah, the Blu-ray looks (and sounds) fantastic!
Watched it on the 4th as well. So freaking entertaining, quite possibly the most rewatchable movie I own. And yeah, it does look and sound really nice. In cases like this I am SO thankful the BR format came along. A classic that has been around virtually my entire life looking and sounding better than I ever dreamed I would see.
Thanks given by:
Michael24 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 03:57 AM   #5007

Jun 2016

Quote:
The scene near the beginning with Brody and the young man walking on the beach was the one that struck me as being the worst.
The shot of Hendricks dropping to the sand dune,wiping saliva away from his mouth after discovering Chrissie's remains,looks strange;like the warm colour temperature was turned up too high?
Old 07-23-2016, 04:01 AM   #5008

Jun 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyjoe766 View Post
The shot of Hendricks dropping to the sand dune,wiping saliva away from his mouth after discovering Chrissie's remains,looks strange;like the warm colour temperature was turned up too high?
The color is a bit different from how it looked originally. Not a huge difference but it can be noticeable. I believe Universal said there was inconsistencies with the reference prints so I think they just decided to replicate the look of the 30th anniversary DVD.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:19 AM   #5009

Jun 2016

Quote:
The color is a bit different from how it looked originally. Not a huge difference but it can be noticeable. I believe Universal said there was inconsistencies with the reference prints so I think they just decided to replicate the look of the 30th anniversary DVD.
That same shot of Hendricks on the 30th anniversary DVD looks normal compared to the Blu-Ray equivalent.
Something else that bothered me about this restoration.Spielberg's stance on not digitally tampering with his films.Why is the wire/fishing line that was originally attached to the bouy during Chrissie's attack still missing?
This 'restoration' should have included a lossless version of the original mono audio too.
Thanks given by:
crissrudd4554 (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 01:34 PM   #5010

May 2013

Quote:
That same shot of Hendricks on the 30th anniversary DVD looks normal compared to the Blu-Ray equivalent.
Something else that bothered me about this restoration.Spielberg's stance on not digitally tampering with his films.Why is the wire/fishing line that was originally attached to the bouy during Chrissie's attack still missing?
This 'restoration' should have included a lossless version of the original mono audio too.
I mentioned the wire a few pages back. A sailboat on the horizon later in the film was also removed. Spielberg mentioned in 2011 there would be no more alterations to his films even going as far to say he would not remove the wires from 1941. So it is a bit strange these minor tweaks were done. Granted theyre not big changes and arent distracting but it does strike me as puzzling considering what Spielberg said.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:02 PM   #5011
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
That shot looks like a dupe or an optical to me, that can have the effect of sending the colour a little screwy.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:08 PM   #5012
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Oh, just remembered, I wanna say that I adored Bill Butler's classic three-point compositions in this flick. Yeah, people still shoot in anamorphic these days but it's just not the same, it's as if framing for widescreen has become a lost art. I blame that Super 35!
Thanks given by:
notops (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 09:49 PM   #5013

Jun 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Oh, just remembered, I wanna say that I adored Bill Butler's classic three-point compositions in this flick. Yeah, people still shoot in anamorphic these days but it's just not the same, it's as if framing for widescreen has become a lost art. I blame that Super 35!
What impressed me were the long unbroken camera takes with dialogue for the actors.For example:Brody,the Mayor,coroner and Meadows on the ferry.I imagine every time an actor would flub their lines they would have to turn back the ferry and start the shot again from when the Mayor's Cadillac boarded.The filming of that scene must have been frustrating.The film was very well rehearsed.Thank god that shark didn't work and Spielberg and his actors had more time to work on their dialogue and scenes.
Thanks given by:
Michael24 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 01:30 AM   #5014

Sep 2010
The Black Lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Nailed it!

I have also noticed since the use of Super35 became more widespread, the 'scope compositions in films steadily became less and less interesting and/or artful.

With so many theaters no longer masking the screens for 'scope presentations (thusly cutting down the size and resolution), I wonder why so many movies are still released in 2.39:1 at all.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:15 PM   #5015
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Heh, good point about the lack of 'scope masking in the average modern multiplex (my last two nearest ones didn't/don't bother), now you even get black bars in cinema presentations. It's no wonder Tarantino essentially thinks of modern theatrical projection as being a "TV" level experience.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America