Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Welcome to the Space Show (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
The Girl Hunters (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Mask of Zorro (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Magic in the Moonlight (Blu-ray)
$22.79
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International

Old 01-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #41
Special Member

Aug 2011
Edinburgh, Scotland

I have only bought 2 pre-owned blu rays and both had problems with the disc skipping parts of the film. However, I buy used DVDs all the time and never had a problem with them
Pre-orders [Steelbooks]:

→ Indiana Jones Collection (Individual steelbooks)[Zavvi Exclusives]
add me on: PSN: lFraser → Steam: _fraser
Old 01-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #42
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisei View Post
Just curious; have you ever bought a new car, driven it for a few years and then sold it to the dealer when you were going to buy another new car?
Nope. But selling that car back to the same dealer that you bought it from, as you described, sounds like the right idea to me.

FYI, I've never owned a car. Therefore have never had need to sell one.

Sounds like an answer though. Sell the discs back to the studio so they can clean up the disc, reseal it, and relist it at full price.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884

Last edited by Petra_Kalbrain; 01-26-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #43

Apr 2010
central new york

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
Obviously, you missed my point. I don't care how much money the studios already have. They put the work into the artistic endeavour which I am enjoying. Therefore, THEY deserve the reward for creating such an experience.

It's not about how much money they have. It's about giving money to those responsible for the entertainment.

Let me turn your analogy around on you. If you spent 3 to 5 years on a project, would you let millions of people give their money to someone else for the enjoyment of the fruits of said project when that someone else didn't spend any time and only a fractional portion of money on it compared to yourself? I do my best to reward those who are originally responsible for what I buy. I don't believe in the "me me me me me" mentality that has gripped the planet.

Ultimately, if the product is good, it will merit attention. And, to me, most secondhand/pawn shops are simply preying on the desperate in order to capitalize anyhow. They get people who desperately need money come through their doors and take whatever is given them. These shops look to give a ridiculously small fraction of what they can resell items for. It's really sickening to me. I don't care what can be said in rebuttal, but that is not a morally or spiritually viable business model for any healthy community.

You have the notion of restaurants completely flipped around! I love going to non-franchise eateries since they are often the only ones using fresh local ingredients whereas large chains use frozen ingredients shipped for days in cargo crates. Again, I support them because they are responsible for creating an original fresh food experience, so they get my money even though it is more expensive to eat at non-franchise eateries. By your own analogy, I should save 75% off of my food by going to franchise restaurants and be happy about that. But... alas... we digress...
I could agree with what you are saying if it was buying blu's that were brand new stolen from a store than sold. But if someone has already legally purchased the movie then I don't see the big deal.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #44
youandme

No. I don't like to buy Secondhand Bluray's. I always used to buy brand new Bluray DVD's. Only one circumstances i would like to buy second hand DVD's if The Bluray Discs are in good quality and not scratched.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #45
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
In the dark, near the Tannhäuser Gate

I have no problem buying secondhand blu rays. I would say 50% of my collection are secondhand.
Phyllis: "I was just fixing some ice tea; would you like a glass?"
Walter Neff: "Yeah, unless you got a bottle of beer that's not working"
Old 02-22-2013, 04:03 AM   #46
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010
New Zealand

On a strict budget I have been circling the local video store who place movies on sale for very competitive prices. they may have been rented once or twice. bar a technical hiccup with 2012's "Total Recall", they have otherwise been faultless.
(Total Recall had issues reported by many)

After having Total Recall replaced,that title was a mere $8 for me. rrp between $39.99 and $44.99.

However, I used to be very tight on new purchases, seemingly giving me the seal of authenticity. Because Blu-ray is awesome and special ;-P
"I don't always herdy dur mur flerpty floopin...

But when I do, I yer der schmer dor her der foomty, der shoopin flerpty dur"

The Swedish Chef!.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:06 AM   #47

Aug 2012
Pennsylvania

If its cheaper by more than $5 I do. Doesn't bother me at all.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #48

Sep 2010
Stockholm, Sweden

I like buying 2nd hand blu-rays occasionally. When it comes to movies I really like I usually wait for the new price to drop. I prefer buying new blu-rays.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:46 AM   #49
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by youandme View Post
No. I don't like to buy Secondhand Bluray's. I always used to buy brand new Bluray DVD's. Only one circumstances i would like to buy second hand DVD's if The Bluray Discs are in good quality and not scratched.
The above quote is an example of why so many people are automatically against used blurays:

1. DVDs get easily scratched!
2. Blurays have better protection, thus rarely get scratched!!!!

So in other words, people are puting their used dvd fears onto blurays. Now if you get kicks out of opening a fresh video or if you want packaging in perfect condition, then yes I understand why you want new blurays.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #50

Dec 2008

I spent over 25 years in the games industry, and still bought used games a lot of the time. Why? Because I know how the sale chain works, and how little gets back to the people that actually created the thing in the first place.

Very little of what you pay in the retail store, goes back to the studio. The distributor pays the studio, when they order stock. The retail outlet pays the distributor, when they buy stock to sell. You pay the retail outlet, who are simply recouping their costs, plus their own profit. You only have to look at places like HMV in the UK, that sell five Blus for £30. That's five Blus that probably released at £15, that they can afford to lose £9 on each one, and still make a profit.

Also, just like games, I believe that some creations simply don't warrant a full price purchase. I won't reward lazy rehashed content, like reboots... but I will reward films that at least try and be original and creative. That's just my philosophy from the games industry carrying over though.

I'll buy Blus in whatever condition I find them, and have no qualms in buying used. I'm afraid I buy for my benefit, nobody else's.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #51

Jun 2013
Loiza, PR

Noup. In my experience. I bought like 10 BD from a closing Blockbuster. I've watched 6 so far. And 3 had playback issues. Not good track record on my part.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #52

Oct 2011
San Antonio, TX
Send a message via AIM to jasibley

I go into second hand movie stores really in search for rarities. However if I see a movie I want to purchase, I usually inspect the price (either online or other stores), the packaging condition, if everything is included, etc. If I feel I can't get as good of deal as buying new, then I definitely buy used. Doesn't hurt that some stores have a "reward zone" program after buying so many movies either.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #53

Oct 2011

deleted by JF

Last edited by John Floyd; 10-21-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #54
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2008
Dantooine, I am on Dantooine.

Yeah man... I have no problem as along as the disc was taken care of by the previous owner.

I always change the case anyway, just because it's been sitting in some other kat's house the whole time.

Online sellers will usually state "guaranteed to play like new" or something like that. Look for that and you should be okay.

Good luck and enjoy,

~LD
Old 09-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #55

Jan 2012
Oregon

I love secondhand blu-rays. I find that the vast majority of them are in excellent condition, and if the case is broken I just replace it for about $0.40. Every 6 months or so I buy 100-200 Viva Elite cases for about 35 or 40 cents a piece. Well worth the savings and I only end up replacing about 1 in every 3 cases.
My top 10 favorite films of all-time: 1. The Tree of Life - 2. Life is Beautiful - 3. Shawshank Redemption - 4. The Matrix - 5. American Beauty - 6. Pulp Fiction - 7. Dazed and Confused - 8. American History X - 9. Ferris Bueller's Day Off - 10. Almost Famous
Old 09-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #56
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Shropshire, UK
Send a message via MSN to dallywhitty

I'm not fussy about second-hand DVDs, but with Blu-rays, I'm too picky about the packaging and trying to maintain its excellent condition! I think the only second-hand Blu-ray I own is Magic Mike (it was cheap and in mint condition so I wasn't going to pass it up).
Favourite film: Blade Runner --- Favourite director: David Lynch
Favourite album: Movement by New Order --- Favourite novel: It by Stephen King
Currently reading: Ban This Filth: Letters from the Mary Whitehouse Archive by Ben Thompson.

Temptation's calling you, a secret reply.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #57
Banned

Jul 2013
United Kingdom

Hi,

For the most part, no, I don't and won't buy secondhand or used Blu-Ray's, unless I know who it's from. I simply don't trust other people to look after their films in the way I do, and I've seen too many people treat new Blu-Ray's, CD's and DVD's like drinks coasters, dropping them on the floor, cleaning the playing surface with their jumper or shirt sleeve, or using spittle as a cleaning fluid. I mean, for goodness sake's, that's just gross!

However, that's just my personal view, and those of you who do regularly buy secondhand, that's fine with me also. It's your money, and your choice.

I do think Petra raises some interesting issues on the subject though.

Quote:
They put the work into the artistic endeavour which I am enjoying. Therefore, THEY deserve the reward for creating such an experience.
I'd agree with that, which is why I don't buy secondhand XBox games, nor do I trade-in my games to companies like CEX, Game, etc, etc. Why should these companies profit from someone else's work? Seems patently unfair to me.

Quote:
And, to me, most secondhand/pawn shops are simply preying on the desperate in order to capitalize anyhow. They get people who desperately need money come through their doors and take whatever is given them. These shops look to give a ridiculously small fraction of what they can resell items for.
On this, I absolutely and wholly concur. I've seen first-hand companies like Game and CEX offer customers peanuts for their products, and seen that same item go out on display, for almost as much as a brand-new, sealed copy would go for. I really don't understand the mentality of paying £1 or £2 less for a secondhand item, when you could pay that extra bit of cash (which is a relatively trivial amount) and get a brand-new, never-opened, never-played version. In Game, I've even gone in to buy a new copy of a game, walked up to the counter with it, and then they've said they've got a secondhand copy in which is cheaper. You then ask how much cheaper, and they say it's £1 less! Absolutely dumbasss economics, of the highest order!

CEX and Cash Convertors are evil companies, in my view. In my local Cash Convertors, they pay 10p per single DVD (irrespective of what the film is, how old or new it is, and what condition it's in) and £1 for any multi-disc boxed-sets, again, irrespective of what the item is, or how many discs are in it! Why should organisations like theirs be allowed to profit from other people's misery, and screw people over at the same time?! It's just wrong on so many levels!

I've seen my local CEX charge £25 for a secondhand set of the LORD OF THE RINGS: EXTENDED EDITION Blu-Ray Boxed Set, when I can 1p less, and get it new and sealed from my local HMV across the road. Their pricing structure is a joke, and not in a good way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
CEX is the greatest video store ever!
On that, I'm going to respectfully, but firmly disagree. CEX are nothing short of con-merchants, in my view. They pay peanuts, and then jack-up the prices to extortionate and stupid amounts. They demand goods that you want to sell to them are in perfect condition, but are happy to sell second-rate, scratched-to-hell goods to you, and if you complain they just say "All the discs are tested, and they play fine"! Yeah, of course, they do!

I'm all for people selling goods for a fair price, but not for peanuts to companies who are making profit from your being screwed over.

Pooch
Old 09-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #58
Suspended

Jan 2013
UK, south

Quote:
On that, I'm going to respectfully, but firmly disagree. CEX are nothing short of con-merchants, in my view. They pay peanuts, and then jack-up the prices to extortionate and stupid amounts. They demand goods that you want to sell to them are in perfect condition, but are happy to sell second-rate, scratched-to-hell goods to you, and if you complain they just say "All the discs are tested, and they play fine"! Yeah, of course, they do!

I'm all for people selling goods for a fair price, but not for peanuts to companies who are making profit from your being screwed over.

Pooch

CEX, in recent years, have been getting a bit more commercial than they used to be, I agree. That said, their prices never stay the same. Every few weeks it goes up or down and can be as expensive as general retail prices or as they can go back to old school CEX prices and have good stock that are superb bargains.

Also, as far as scratched discs and stuff goes, I find that only happens with certain branches in London where it seems like it's run by a bunch of gamer dudes and their online mates. The branches in London West end have really fallen off the wagon in that respect. Missing steelbooks, missing blu ray discs, and the likes have been common in recent months, and it's not good. I've never had a problem with the quality or condition in the way they sell things though.

That said, every other branch I have been to have been great. I've never had a problem with the quality or condition in the way they sell blu's. Even online where I have even gotten blu's with slipcases and such from them. There are still no other second hand retail store that can compete with them imo, and like I said, it really is about waiting for 'the right month'.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #59
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
Hi,

For the most part, no, I don't and won't buy secondhand or used Blu-Ray's, unless I know who it's from. I simply don't trust other people to look after their films in the way I do, and I've seen too many people treat new Blu-Ray's, CD's and DVD's like drinks coasters, dropping them on the floor, cleaning the playing surface with their jumper or shirt sleeve, or using spittle as a cleaning fluid. I mean, for goodness sake's, that's just gross!

However, that's just my personal view, and those of you who do regularly buy secondhand, that's fine with me also. It's your money, and your choice.

I do think Petra raises some interesting issues on the subject though.

I'd agree with that, which is why I don't buy secondhand XBox games, nor do I trade-in my games to companies like CEX, Game, etc, etc. Why should these companies profit from someone else's work? Seems patently unfair to me.

On this, I absolutely and wholly concur. I've seen first-hand companies like Game and CEX offer customers peanuts for their products, and seen that same item go out on display, for almost as much as a brand-new, sealed copy would go for. I really don't understand the mentality of paying £1 or £2 less for a secondhand item, when you could pay that extra bit of cash (which is a relatively trivial amount) and get a brand-new, never-opened, never-played version. In Game, I've even gone in to buy a new copy of a game, walked up to the counter with it, and then they've said they've got a secondhand copy in which is cheaper. You then ask how much cheaper, and they say it's £1 less! Absolutely dumbasss economics, of the highest order!

CEX and Cash Convertors are evil companies, in my view. In my local Cash Convertors, they pay 10p per single DVD (irrespective of what the film is, how old or new it is, and what condition it's in) and £1 for any multi-disc boxed-sets, again, irrespective of what the item is, or how many discs are in it! Why should organisations like theirs be allowed to profit from other people's misery, and screw people over at the same time?! It's just wrong on so many levels!

I've seen my local CEX charge £25 for a secondhand set of the LORD OF THE RINGS: EXTENDED EDITION Blu-Ray Boxed Set, when I can 1p less, and get it new and sealed from my local HMV across the road. Their pricing structure is a joke, and not in a good way.

Pooch

Your UK CEXs may be worse than my USA ones. All they do is price their stuff slightly lower than the used price on amazon and ebay, which is always fluctuating. While they may offer peanuts to some used dvds you want to trade in (because that's the price these dvds are selling for on other sites), if you want to trade in an out-of-print DVD that no one cares about but has a mega-jacked up price on Amazon or Ebay, you'll get a good deal selling it to CEX which is silly for them because most of their buyers aren't looking to buy out-of-print, rare videos sold for expensive prices.

And it's not very wise to buy DVDs without checking the backs and it's not wise to buy electronics from them unless you want to waste money. When they test movies, they test that it works - they don't play the whole movie through, and furthermore, a scratched DVD may work on one person's player and not on someone else's player. It's a pawn shop - what do you expect?
Second, you got to know you are taking a chance if you buy some form of electronics there. I'm sure one could sell a tv with a slightly pixilated screen because they just plug it in and do a basic check - at a particular angle, they may not notice that there are some broken pixils on the screen. So if you are the sucker that buys the used tv from CEX and notices that your used tv has broken pixils, it shouldn't be the fault of CEX - it should be your fault.

I sold a moody iphone to them. My iphone would go through phases where the menu button wouldn't work and then it would work. So during the time when the menu button worked, I brought the iphone right over to them and they bought it. There's going to be a sucker who is too cheap to buy a new one and be disappointed when they realized it's a moody unpredictable phone. That's how pawn shops are. If you can sell crap to them, why turn down money. Electronic pawn shops are good for items that have the least chance of being faulty (like video games, DVDs, Blu-rays) because the problems are all visual (scratches), not internal.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #60

Sep 2013
Cardiff

No problem with used disks here, as long as the packaging is in good condition. It's often the only way to obtain previous limited editions or things like digi-packs which were only distributed during the first release.

I don't buy ex-rentals due to condition and the ads during the boot sequence. Disney are swines for doing this. You buy a film, then have to sit through ads at the start! why!?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International