Best PS3 Game Deals

Best PS3 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX - Limited Edition (PS3)
$19.80

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3)
$11.89

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS3)
$15.48

Batman: Arkham Origins (PS3)
$10.88

Persona 5 (PS3)
$28.50

Disney Infinity 3.0 - Star Wars (PS3)
$10.68

Saints Row IV (PS3)
$11.76

Saints Row: The Third (PS3)
$6.65

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
$15.55

Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3)
$19.99

Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package (PS3)
$32.59

Madden NFL 13 (PS3)
$6.10
7 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 04-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Banned

Jan 2010
Minnesota
Default Do you guys ever miss how gaming USED to be?

Maybe the younger ppl wont know what Im talking about, but to me gaming has gone downhill from a certain standpoint

Yea the Graphics are life like, and the sound in 5.1, and online play is great, But I miss the days where if you wanted to play games ( for me in the mid 90s - 2005 ish ) You would go to a friends house and play "a game" Games now are so lifelike and technical, it almost seems like work sometimes, or maybe thats just me getting old and missing the simple things.. Grabbing a case of Mountain Dew and playing Goldeneye for 10 hrs on a Saturday, playing Dreamcast Soul Caliber Tournaments, Getting 120 stars in Mario 64, Playing games til you die with no save option, or whatever you can remember.

Im not against the new generation of gaming , but it seems with social media ( Facebook, Netflix, ) and basically having your "video game console " do everything your computer does took away alot of the fun to actually have your opponent sitting right next to you.. Im 33 So I guess Im old ( or old school ) but I do Miss the time when Game consoles were all they ever were
Old 04-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2009
UK

You mean games that were difficult and required you to think and didn't give you a checkpoint every two seconds or an achievement for simply completing a level or require you to pay additional money for DLC which should've been part of the game in the first place? Yeah, I miss games like these.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is out September 14th 2018
"Also, The Last Jedi would've been a better movie if it was Blade Runner 2049." - GLaDOS
"Another person to ignore and GLADLY. dallywhitty, dallyunwhitty, he's the expert on posting etiquette." - bootsy
"I knew I would hate you with every ounce of my fiber the first day I joined these forums. I wish nothing but the worst to befall you." - Kylo Ren
Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Banned

Jan 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
You mean games that were difficult and required you to think and didn't give you a checkpoint every two seconds or an achievement for simply completing a level or require you to pay additional money for DLC which should've been part of the game in the first place? Yeah, I miss games like these.

Lol that too!

Just in general, Felt like a much better atmosphere back in the day when you had friends over all competing to win the mission, the race, the level, or whatever.. Not saying you cant do that now, but Online play killed alot of the fun of actually wanting to be in the same zipcode as your opponent
Old 04-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Manchester, CT
Send a message via AIM to Musashi

Quote:
didn't give you a checkpoint every two seconds
What's wrong with lots of checkpoints? I want a game that challenges me without added annoyance. To me, restrictions on saving and excessive penalties for dying don't add challenge, they add cheese. If I lose, I should get to try again from very close to the point of loss, and with most of my power/health still intact.

It's on that note that I started liking old games a whole lot more after being able to play them with save states.

There's a lot of things I like better about gaming today. Yes, some DLC should have come standard on the game disc, but with music games that isn't really feasible with hundreds of licensed songs, plus being able to stack all my songs in one place is huge plus compared to the PS1-2 era DDR games where you had to swap discs and use weaker game engines to play old favorites. I'm also a fan of high definition picture and text that's easier to read. Also like how most games are fully voiced; makes things more immersive in my view.

I agree that playing over the networks isn't the same as in-person multiplayer; I still try to play games in person with friends, but having the network there as an option is nice.

This all being said, I do think developers need to remember fun gameplay (and in the case of RPGs, storytelling) above all else, and remember that throwback style 2-D games are still fun and should still be produced.
PSN: SuprSaiynMusashi

DVD/BD Collection: 781 discs on 349 products: 261 movies + 2,476 Episodes.
Game Collection: 618
Born and raised blu-blood

Trivia: What is Becky going to do when she gets home from school?
Trivia Archive: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=169794
Old 04-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
Power Member

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-ray Fanatic View Post
I remember the old days like if it was yesterday: Standing around in the arcade thinking about which game I should blow all of my money on. After I was broke, I would often check the coin slots to see if anyone had left a quarter or token. When the SNES came out, I made fewer visits to the arcade but the gameplay at the arcade was still better IMO. When the PS3 was released, that pretty much put the dagger inside the Nose arcade business. I still see arcade games at movie theaters but I no longer have any interest in investing in them.
Lol, I was lucky and owned the arcade version of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. I can't tell you how much joy I felt when I went to a local arcade and whooped up on some dudes that judged me because I was female.

Establishing gender equality one fatality at a time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
What's wrong with lots of checkpoints? I want a game that challenges me without added annoyance. To me, restrictions on saving and excessive penalties for dying don't add challenge, they add cheese. If I lose, I should get to try again from very close to the point of loss, and with most of my power/health still intact.
How is it challenging you with numerous checkpoints that don't require you to successfully beat sections of a game despite a plethora of mistakes? Game play is about timing, anticipation, reflexes and strategy all of which, IMHO significantly decrease if I have a checkpoint available every other minute.

Last edited by kallima; 04-12-2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: combined posts to avoid double posting
Old 04-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Manchester, CT
Send a message via AIM to Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallima View Post
How is it challenging you with numerous checkpoints that don't require you to successfully beat sections of a game despite a plethora of mistakes? Game play is about timing, anticipation, reflexes and strategy all of which, IMHO significantly decrease if I have a checkpoint available every other minute.
That first sentence is illogical; extra checkpoints don't exempt players from sections of a game; you still have to play the sections with or without save stations. Extra checkpoints only preclude repeating sections you've already cleared. In my view, all the raw difficulty and gameplay remain if I get convenient chances to save and continue. Thus, I like games better when replaying levels happens on my terms.
PSN: SuprSaiynMusashi

DVD/BD Collection: 781 discs on 349 products: 261 movies + 2,476 Episodes.
Game Collection: 618
Born and raised blu-blood

Trivia: What is Becky going to do when she gets home from school?
Trivia Archive: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=169794
Old 04-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
Power Member

Mar 2013

Quote:
That first sentence is illogical; extra checkpoints don't exempt players from sections of a game; you still have to play the sections with or without save stations. Extra checkpoints only preclude repeating sections you've already cleared. In my view, all the raw difficulty and gameplay remain if I get convenient chances to save and continue. Thus, I like games better when replaying levels happens on my terms.
Eh, but taking the section in segments is still too easy. To me it's like running a 15k marathon and having it broken down with 1k rest stops in between. Or even worse, let's have a rest stop every 200 feet. To each their own though.

Last edited by kallima; 04-12-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Hell yes they do. There is a big difference between being able to chain together a large portion of a level without dying versus completing 1/10th then doing another 1/10th and another 1/10th of it. Hence why Save States make games on emulators much easier.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
Banned

Jan 2013

Quote:
Lol, I was about to argue against the OP here, but this post stopped me right in my tracks. Gaming is..controversial these days. I LOVE the advancement in the technology itself and I don't mind that games have taken on a more cinematic scope. But yeah, in some ways, actual gameplay has suffered and it seems now all these developers want to milk as much as possible out of us by including all these DLC nonsense.

Also, the difficulty of games is no longer an issue these days either. It does feel like we are being babied through some of these games and I don't even touch them first person shooters where your enemies are simply there for you to consume ammo. It's boring. I think that's my biggest gripe right now, the difficulty. Dead Space 3 has been refreshing as I play by myself, it's VERY difficult at times and the checkpoints can be very unforgiving.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

I don't miss losing quarters!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

I played Quake online in the mid 90's.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
Banned

Jan 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarvis View Post
I played Quake online in the mid 90's.
Not talking about On;line PC games you play by yourself anyways... Talking about Gaming in general
Old 04-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMaToast View Post
Not talking about On;line PC games you play by yourself anyways... Talking about Gaming in general
I wasn't playing alone. I played with the other people on the server. And we could type at each other.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #14
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny

me & my buddies played the sh!t out of Goldeneye and Halo!!

here i came into this thread thinking it was going to ask if we missed only have 3 lives to beat a game.
Blu-Benny’s 7.1 HT @ a Glance:
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb PS4 500 gb• Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"No more hairy bushed nuns, no more dogs. We keep our eye on the prize!"
Old 04-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #15
Banned

Jan 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Benny View Post
me & my buddies played the sh!t out of Goldeneye and Halo!!

here i came into this thread thinking it was going to ask if we missed only have 3 lives to beat a game.

Lol Yup!!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #16
Power Member

Feb 2009
hollister ca

I know what you mean I remember the times going to my buddies house to play streetfighter on Nintendo. There be about six to eight of us and we play for hours lol was alot of fun. Dang that was back in highschool now im 36 wow time flys
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #17
Special Member

Jul 2010
San Francisco CA

Truthfully I don't really miss the way gaming Used" to be because I still buy Used games for my older systems and still enjoy playing those. Sure its nice to put on some Bioshock or some other Fancy Pants Shooter (that is what FPS stands for right ) with accurite character models and shading effects and all the things that make a game great (or wait didn't it used to have something to do with actually having fun regardless of what the damned thing looked like) Atari 2600 for the win.

In truth I don't per say have a problem with modern gaming In fact in a lot of ways it is better then ever having access to Additional content (When DLC is done right not punishing the buyer for pre-ordering and not waiting on a Game of the Year edition). The ability to play with any of my friends online no matter where they are (except that seems to be mostly limited to sports games which I don't care for and Twitch games or FP/TPS which again not really my favorite). However I do miss having my friends over to the house and making a weekend of beating battletoads by handing off the controller as we died and trying in turns to advance that very challenging game and when we succeded at it having that shared memory of how hard we worked at it as a team. Modern day Co-Op has nothing on that as its just 2 or more people playing their own way as a team.

But yes there does seem to be something wrong with gaming now vs then but it could just be the nestlgia settling in. Oh well I may head home tonight and throw on some xenogears or tales of destiny on the old PS1 and get back to ya.

Thanks,
T
TV: Samsung UN55D8000
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR5008
Speakers: Front:Polk RTI A7 / Center: Polk CSI A6 / Surround: Polk FXi A6 (X4)
SUB: SVS PB12-NSD
Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT350
Game System: PS/3, XBox 360, Wii, PS/2
Remote: Harmony One with PS/3 Adapter What Else does one need :) (I know how about the Harmony 900) oh yeah
Old 04-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
Special Member

Dec 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarvis View Post
I wasn't playing alone. I played with the other people on the server. And we could type at each other.
Not sure bout you but i mostly played Quake on heat.net and Interstate 76. I actually still have that 1st quake disc. But anyway aside from that i do like how my friends would come over or i'd go to them. I still do it when possible. Just seems a little harder to plan with work schedules and so on. For a bit had a pc that had a modem without a speaker then got a better pc which had a 56k modem with the freakin speaker on it. I felt like i was gonna wake everyone up when i'd start it up late at night after 12a lol. For sure fun times.
36" and 30" SONY WEGA 720/1080i CRTs- White PS4, 4 Games PS3-160G. PS3 Games. 52. 32 Plhttp://www.ps3trophies.com/card/11/NightShark08.pngus. 3 Psn games. 35 Blus. Elite 120g 360, 7 games.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #19
Special Member

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMaToast View Post
Maybe the younger ppl wont know what Im talking about, but to me gaming has gone downhill from a certain standpoint

Yea the Graphics are life like, and the sound in 5.1, and online play is great, But I miss the days where if you wanted to play games ( for me in the mid 90s - 2005 ish ) You would go to a friends house and play "a game" Games now are so lifelike and technical, it almost seems like work sometimes, or maybe thats just me getting old and missing the simple things.. Grabbing a case of Mountain Dew and playing Goldeneye for 10 hrs on a Saturday, playing Dreamcast Soul Caliber Tournaments, Getting 120 stars in Mario 64, Playing games til you die with no save option, or whatever you can remember.

Im not against the new generation of gaming , but it seems with social media ( Facebook, Netflix, ) and basically having your "video game console " do everything your computer does took away alot of the fun to actually have your opponent sitting right next to you.. Im 33 So I guess Im old ( or old school ) but I do Miss the time when Game consoles were all they ever were
I'm old school. I like a game that is a completely new concept, something I play that I've never played before. As in, the way the game works is fundamentally new.

Today's games are like movies -- the story changes, and the tools change, but all the supposedly best games are still me, as a guy, running around and doing stuff.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010

Wow, look at all the *****y old men who came out of the woodwork to jerk each other off about "the glory days".

Save if for the obituary gramps.

[Show spoiler]
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3