Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Home from the Hill (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Return of the Living Dead Part II (Blu-ray)
$25.70
14 hrs ago
Sicario (Blu-ray)
$4.00

Blockers (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Tag (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Truth or Dare (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Star Trek: Stardate Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99

Masters of Sex: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$35.99
23 hrs ago
Fraggle Rock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$48.99
11 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 06-20-2008, 08:38 PM   #21

Nov 2006
Toronto

Quote:
blu-ray needs Super Up Conversion (SUC)...
I take it you mean BD players need this. It's a DVD feature, not a Blu-ray one.

Hey, maybe those getting 4K displays in the future will agree that Blu-ray needs it.

Gary
Old 06-20-2008, 09:34 PM   #22
Power Member

Sep 2007
Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankey View Post
SUC serves no purpose for any true HT enthusiast who is looking to obtain the best PQ in their home. SUC Sucks.
Well, not all movies are on Blu-ray as of yet, so it could be a good way to watch films that aren't on blu-ray yet in a somewhat better quality.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:30 AM   #23
Power Member

Sep 2007
Twin Cities
Send a message via Yahoo to mr.hidef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
What many people don't realize is that any image upscaling technology that Toshiba invents can be applied to Blu-ray itself. Just wait till you see upscaled Blu-ray at 2160P!
Did you buy some beach-front property from that guy who told you about 1080px2? ........clever, but that won't ever happen
MY HDNA.....IS BLU.....BLU-BLOOD
SONY KDL-52W5100 (120Hz) / SONY Google TV NSX-40GT / SONY KDL-50W800B (3D-120Hz)
ONKYO TX-SR805 - cooling by Antec
SONY 2 x BDP-S580 - SONY BDP-S5200
MONSTER HDP-2500
KLIPSCH Reference IV series (7.2)
"Dual" Elemental Designs A2-300's
Old 06-21-2008, 04:32 AM   #24
Power Member

Sep 2007
Twin Cities
Send a message via Yahoo to mr.hidef

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachD View Post
No all stand-alone Blu-ray players have so-so Upconversion. My Samsung 1200 may be a tad slow in getting firmware upgrades (However, they have issued 4 updates this year alone, with the latest update was on June 9th), but the 1200 have a VERY GOOD Upconversion chip (HQV). Even when folks were slamming the Sammy, they would give it rave reviews on that feature.

As to why people would stick a standard DVD in their Blu-ray player:

1. A very good reason is not all old DVDs have been issued in Blu yet. Take Lord of the Rings or the Matrix for example.

2. A good selling point to potential Blu buyers is the fact that they DON'T have to get rid of their OLD DVDs. Of course we know that sooner or later they will, but they do not have to.
A man after my own heart.....GO VIKES! Did I just sound Fluffy, there a little? SCARY
MY HDNA.....IS BLU.....BLU-BLOOD
SONY KDL-52W5100 (120Hz) / SONY Google TV NSX-40GT / SONY KDL-50W800B (3D-120Hz)
ONKYO TX-SR805 - cooling by Antec
SONY 2 x BDP-S580 - SONY BDP-S5200
MONSTER HDP-2500
KLIPSCH Reference IV series (7.2)
"Dual" Elemental Designs A2-300's
Old 06-21-2008, 05:55 PM   #25
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
... if only to shut Toshiba up and beat them at their own game. They lost the war and now are playing politics in an effort to hurt blu-ray sales.
D’uh now if Toshiba’s (and others) whole reason to support SUC (or continue attacking BD) is to hurt BD then how does making SUCky BD players help? All the people that do this (be it Toshiba or others) do it for one reason BD will kill their plans. For Toshiba irt is that they still want their DVD royalties which will dry up if BD succeeds, for MS, Vudu…. It is that if people learn quality then they would never accept crappy much more restrictive DL, for some of the fanboys it is because misery loves company, for others it is because they work in one of the companies that does not want BD to succeed and for some others it is because they are 100% pirates and if studios go BD it woulkd be, at the least, much harder for them. In the end no matter what BD (or manufacturers ) do, it won’t change the fact that it is notr because of legitimate reasons and all about trying to con people into not adopting BD. I have not seen Toshibas SUUCky player, but are you sure that it is so much better then the best (or even the worst) BD up conversion?

Last edited by Anthony P; 06-21-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #26

Feb 2008

The PS3 definitely has the horsepower to do something beyond interpolation for DVDs in a firmware update and I wouldn't be surprised if it does get something eventually. However I expect the the improvement will be so slight over standard interpolation that you would be hard pressed to even notice it. That's even when its working, since depending on the frame rate, scene, DNR, compression ratio and a bunch of other factors it might do nothing at all.

There is no doubt that it would be a useful feature to have in any TV set or player but it's not going to transform a bad print, or do much at all in many cases.

There are already tools which work on similar principles (e.g. Video Enhancer) and frankly in my experience the results are marginal. I really doubt super upconversion running in realtime be it on the PS3 or some vapourware Toshiba DVD upscaler is going to set the world alight.

Maybe Sony should do it anyway just to annoy the more deluded supporters of the other camp, some of whom are heralding SUC as if its the second coming or something.

Last edited by DrXym; 06-25-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #27

Oct 2006

AnthonyP:

Why would you think any CE who does SUC must be anti BD? If SUC does work (and I doubt that it is going to be that great), then it will be more algorithmic than anything else, and knockoffs of the tech, if Toshiba won't licence it cheaply, will show up. So <fill in mfr> putting SUC in a BD player would be a way to separate their machine from the herd, at least for until other manufacturers start to include it as well.
Also, as has been mentioned here, 4k displays are on their way, and being able to upconvert a BD to an even higher res would be great.

Again, all assuming it works. I doubt most people will be amazed. It may be a small improvement over the better existing upconverters, but I doubt it will make your jaw hit the floor. However, if it can make my copy of "The American President" watcheable, it might be worth it having a look.

Oh yeah, as to BD needing it? I call BS. That is the same reasoning that led to people saying inexpensive HD DVD players would win.

Last edited by scott1256ca; 06-25-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:19 AM   #28
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Why would you think any CE who does SUC must be anti BD?
where did I say that?

what I said is that the whole SUC (or any up converting is good enough statement) is just BS trying to scare people from adopting BD ("why should I buy B, DVD is good enough", "Oh there is something that makes DVD as good as BD, maybe I should wait because BD will go the way of HD DVD").

Let's face it, the first sine that it is pure BS is that they did not make a demo, that they did not announce a model, it is like HD DVD 45 and 51 it is a BS reason that has no benefit to anyone and reality.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #29

Dec 2006
Chicago NW burbs

SUC? Aren't you setting the ground for more slogans like ... PS3 SUCs ... ? And besides, this is a technically incorrect term. Upconversion and Upscaling are two very different things. When you plug in a old device, let's say a DVD player, into your receiver via a composite or component cable for example, then receiver upconverts the video signal from composite or component to HDMI. This does not change the video resolution, the signal sent to the TV via HDMI is still a 480i/p signal but sent via HDMI.
Now, if the receiver boasts an onboard upscaler, it can take that upconverted signal, upscale it to 720p or 1080i/p and sent it out to your TV.
So, applying a more correct term the acronim should sound like SUS, which I do not like either.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology