Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$91.99
The James Bond Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.96
The Intern (Blu-ray)
$10.00
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The X-Files: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Dope (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Outlaw: Gangster VIP Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99
The X-Files: The Collector's Set (Blu-ray)
$197.85
Pieces (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Hotel Transylvania 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Arrow: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$16.96
Bride of Re-Animator (Blu-ray)
$27.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2015, 03:08 PM   #2181
JimDiGriz JimDiGriz is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
JimDiGriz's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
UK
346
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter02 View Post
That doesn't even have the real logo on it. Looks ugly to me.

If looked like this then I'd agree with you:

Well its the best one out there anyway!
What does that mean, Rickles?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #2182
anephric anephric is offline
Senior Member
 
anephric's Avatar
 
Feb 2014
Default

I often wondered why the steelbook art is different from the theatrical poster which has been used countless times (I think someone mentioned this earlier in the thread) but apparently this could be Renato Casaro's original art, which was changed later to remove the head from Conan's hand: maybe he was also told to make the face resemble Arnie's more?

"I had to paint a movie poster featuring Schwarzenegger, together with the (not nude) actress. In the very first version of my poster, Conan/Schwarzenegger kept in his right hand a bloody skull. This was removed, by order of De Laurentiis - perhaps, but I don't know this, by request of MPAA regarding violence..."
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
brando79az (12-28-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 09:12 PM   #2183
BNex99 BNex99 is online now
Active Member
 
Sep 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
So which Blu has the best sounding 5.1 track? French Steel or US? Also, do the French and US Blu's have different cuts of the film?

Shit's so confusing...
From what I understand, the US BD's 5.1 remix (which was also on some European DVDs) sounds better but is missing choral elements from the score in certain scenes. The French BD's 5.1 includes the correct music, but is a less full-sounding remix. The original mono is also there on the French disc in Dolby Digital.

The US Blu is the international theatrical version. The French Blu is the extended international version, which includes the extra Conan/Subotai scene before the Battle on the Mounds. The US theatrical cut has never been released on Blu-ray, but has shown up on cable and Netflix recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
Yeah, even though I KNOW I wouldn't notice it, it does bother the purist in me. Just not enough to pay $30 to import.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that the DVD I've watched over the years had the same missing cues on the 5.1 track and I never noticed.

^According to post #46...http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-...ml#post2218208
I think the DVD you linked only had the mono track on there, which included the correct music.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:43 PM   #2184
Bates_Motel Bates_Motel is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Bates_Motel's Avatar
 
Jul 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDiGriz View Post
Yep that's the one I got ages ago!

I know the French one might have an error corrected etc but I prefer the above artwork and I don't want Destroyer in my collection (its awful!).
LOL so you'd rather have the correct font on the cover rather than the correct version of the movie?? Okay.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:48 AM   #2185
travisbickle travisbickle is offline
Expert Member
 
travisbickle's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
Florida
380
684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNex99 View Post
From what I understand, the US BD's 5.1 remix (which was also on some European DVDs) sounds better but is missing choral elements from the score in certain scenes. The French BD's 5.1 includes the correct music, but is a less full-sounding remix. The original mono is also there on the French disc in Dolby Digital.

The US Blu is the international theatrical version. The French Blu is the extended international version, which includes the extra Conan/Subotai scene before the Battle on the Mounds. The US theatrical cut has never been released on Blu-ray, but has shown up on cable and Netflix recently.
Cool, thanks! Yeah, that one scene missing from the US Blu is no sweat off my sack. I actually prefer the Theatrical cut and the US Blu is pretty close to it. Only thing keeping it from being the TC is the scene at the end with the princess, if i'm not mistaken...

Quote:
I think the DVD you linked only had the mono track on there, which included the correct music.
Is has the mono and the 5.1. The 5.1 is the only audio track I ever listened to while watching.

That score must be heard through more than one speaker, dammit! Even if it is slightly ****ed up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #2186
JimDiGriz JimDiGriz is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
JimDiGriz's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
UK
346
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
LOL so you'd rather have the correct font on the cover rather than the correct version of the movie?? Okay.
LOL Im not as nerdy about it as you. Its blink and you'll miss it stuff for me.
What does that mean, Rickles?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:38 PM   #2187
philzilla philzilla is offline
Active Member
 
philzilla's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
348
693
Default

that's rich
For some reason, I hate cheese.
Please read the OP of the thread before posting.
Keep on Tolkien
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:54 AM   #2188
niner4lfe niner4lfe is offline
Member
 
Nov 2014
San Berdo
Default

I have a question for anyone who lives here in the states and has purchased the steelbook edition from amazon france. I have been ordering for years now from amazon uk just ordered from amazon italy earlier this year and all my orders have gotten to me within ten days or less. Anyways i ordered the steelbook from france and was shipped on the 14th of this month and my estimated arrival date is january 8 im just curious to how long it has taken anyone who has ordered from there to get there items greatly appreciate any info please.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:05 AM   #2189
Katatonia Katatonia is offline
Senior Member
 
Katatonia's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
Missouri, USA
2261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niner4lfe View Post
I have a question for anyone who lives here in the states and has purchased the steelbook edition from amazon france. I have been ordering for years now from amazon uk just ordered from amazon italy earlier this year and all my orders have gotten to me within ten days or less. Anyways i ordered the steelbook from france and was shipped on the 14th of this month and my estimated arrival date is january 8 im just curious to how long it has taken anyone who has ordered from there to get there items greatly appreciate any info please.
I ordered it from there a long time ago... but can no longer recall how long it took to actually arrive here. They used to always use Royal Mail shipping, the same as Amazon UK & DE often do. That can range widely if it was shipped via that method.

I've had some packages come within a few days...and a few take about two months to arrive. On average though, they usually take 1-3 weeks to arrive to the USA. If it was shipped on the 14th, it should probably arrive any day now, although the Christmas rush could delay it slightly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:47 AM   #2190
HeavyHitter HeavyHitter is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
HeavyHitter's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
19
Default

I watched Destroyer the other night and a really solid catalog title from Universal...one of their better ones.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-980, BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon 7.1 AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 55 (fronts)
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:18 AM   #2191
niner4lfe niner4lfe is offline
Member
 
Nov 2014
San Berdo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
I ordered it from there a long time ago... but can no longer recall how long it took to actually arrive here. They used to always use Royal Mail shipping, the same as Amazon UK & DE often do. That can range widely if it was shipped via that method.

I've had some packages come within a few days...and a few take about two months to arrive. On average though, they usually take 1-3 weeks to arrive to the USA. If it was shipped on the 14th, it should probably arrive any day now, although the Christmas rush could delay it slightly.
Thank you so much for the info Katatonia
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:09 AM   #2192
niner4lfe niner4lfe is offline
Member
 
Nov 2014
San Berdo
Default

Just received my copy of the steelbook.
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:20 PM   #2193
The Fallen Deity The Fallen Deity is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
The Fallen Deity's Avatar
 
Jul 2011
Scotland
218
49
3
Default

Does anyone know if the Conan The Barbarian disc in the French steelbook will play fully uncut without having to change the BD player language if I set my multi-region player to region A?
Your mother knits socks in hell!
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:14 PM.