Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Your Name (Blu-ray)
$61.49
Pokémon: Season 1 - Indigo League (Blu-ray)
$57.05
Your Name (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Mobile Suit Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$108.59
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing (Blu-ray)
$154.29
Fist of the North Star (Blu-ray)
$59.49
Ushio and Tora: Premium Box Set (Blu-ray)
$206.69
Servamp: Season One (Blu-ray)
$61.49
Chaika - The Coffin Princess: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$62.50
The Dragon Dentist: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$22.89
Canaan: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$28.08
Kiddy Girl -And: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.79
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 10-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #161
Power Member

Jul 2013
St. Albans, UK

Sorry for OT but I wanted to ask a similar question - sometimes I cant tell what track my reciever is playing even though my player is set up with Secondary Audio turned off It doesnt say on the display, just what speakers sound is coming from.

Has anyone seen the Spanish digibooks of Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle? They're BEAUTIFUL
Old 10-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #162
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim_tales View Post
Has anyone seen the Spanish digibooks of Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle? They're BEAUTIFUL
I am sure you are right, but I will just wait for the U.K. steelbooks coming out late November that I already have on pre order.
Wanted: Spirited Away slipcover
"If we're about to die anyways, I'd rather die fighting! Come for me Gmork, I am Atreyu!"

"I pulled my harpoon out of my dirty red bandana. I played soft while Bobby sang the blues, yeah." -Janis Joplin

"If life is a bowl of cherries, what's death, avocados?"-Chuck Barris
Old 10-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #163
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Wow, they are nice

Old 12-29-2016, 01:50 AM   #164
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Chicago

I watched My Neighbor Totoro with my 3 year old son on Christmas Eve and for the first time in his life, he sat for the entire film while giving it his undivided attention. I had blind bought the film after hearing good things about it. I did enjoy it, but I think I liked the fact that he liked it even more.

With that said, which other Japanese animation films can someone recommend to me to watch with him? I know very little about Japanese animation and have only seen this film and Grave of the Fireflies. I'm looking for other G rated titles, although I don't necessarily mind a PG rated film if someone thinks that a 3 year old could kind of gather what is going on and enjoy the film.

Thanks!
"It's my belief that history is a wheel. 'Inconstancy is my very essence,' says the wheel. Rise up on my spokes if you like but don't complain when you're cast back down into the depths. Good times pass away, but then so do the bad. Mutability is our tragedy, but it's also our hope. The worst of times, like the best, are always passing away." - Boethius
Old 12-29-2016, 06:15 AM   #165
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdowiak View Post
I watched My Neighbor Totoro with my 3 year old son on Christmas Eve and for the first time in his life, he sat for the entire film while giving it his undivided attention. I had blind bought the film after hearing good things about it. I did enjoy it, but I think I liked the fact that he liked it even more.

With that said, which other Japanese animation films can someone recommend to me to watch with him? I know very little about Japanese animation and have only seen this film and Grave of the Fireflies. I'm looking for other G rated titles, although I don't necessarily mind a PG rated film if someone thinks that a 3 year old could kind of gather what is going on and enjoy the film.

Thanks!
Kiki's Delivery Service, Ponyo, and The Secret World of Arietty are all G-rated films that I'd think would be fun for a 3-year old. Castle in the Sky is PG and is a great adventure film that I don't think would be too intense or scary for a 3-year old.
Thanks given by:
bwdowiak (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #166
Special Member

Sep 2012

Quote:

Thanks!
There aren't many films like My Neighbor Totoro that penetrate the psychology of a child quite as effectively. MNT "gets it" because it knows what interests a child, and how they think. Most people will recommend other Ghibli films, and they ARE good. But only a handful approach the same level of psychology when it comes to children.

Ponyo and Kiki's Delivery Service are the ones that come to mind immediately.
Thanks given by:
bwdowiak (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 03:14 PM   #167

Oct 2010

Quote:

Thanks!
Hayao Miyazaki
Thanks given by:
bwdowiak (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 09:40 PM   #168
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticmoon View Post
Kiki's Delivery Service, Ponyo, and The Secret World of Arietty are all G-rated films that I'd think would be fun for a 3-year old. Castle in the Sky is PG and is a great adventure film that I don't think would be too intense or scary for a 3-year old.
Seconded on all the above.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:09 AM   #169
Special Member

Dec 2009
United States

Ponyo and Kiki, for sure (I haven't seen Arietty).
Old 02-11-2017, 10:04 PM   #170
Expert Member

Mar 2016
Don't worry about it.

I still have the old Fox DVDs. I grew up with that dub. Watched the VHS no less than 250 times. The Fanning sisters' dub is so cringy. Ruins my childhood.
Nina, this is my house, you work for me, and I want to suck your toes. -Arthur Herk
Old 02-18-2017, 03:09 AM   #171

Apr 2014

Out of curiosity, which English dub does the Japanese silhouette blu-ray have? Is it the old one or the new one?
Old 02-18-2017, 03:15 AM   #172
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Washington State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshitaka View Post
Out of curiosity, which English dub does the Japanese silhouette blu-ray have? Is it the old one or the new one?
The newer (Disney) dub. The older (Streamline) dub is only on the Japanese DVD.
Forget The Evil Dead; what George Lucas has done to Star Wars since 1997 is truly "The Ultimate Experience in Grueling Terror".
Old 02-18-2017, 03:36 AM   #173
Expert Member

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post
The newer (Disney) dub. The older (Streamline) dub is only on the Japanese DVD.
Only on the older out of print Japanese DVD.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:29 AM   #174
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Washington State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit Tajomaru View Post
Only on the older out of print Japanese DVD.
Oh yeah, I forgot that Japan had a DVD re-release based off of the BD masters relatively recently. Just double-checked Disney Japan's listing of the new DVD, and it says that its English track is Dolby 5.1 surround. That would certainly rule out the old Streamline dub, as it only existed in stereo. BTW, here's the catalog numbers for reference:

Old DVD (Streamline dub) - VWDZ-8014
New DVD (Disney dub) - VWDZ-8190
Forget The Evil Dead; what George Lucas has done to Star Wars since 1997 is truly "The Ultimate Experience in Grueling Terror".
Old 02-20-2017, 06:03 PM   #175

Jan 2011

To each their own; I thought the new dub of Totoro was fine. I liked both versions equally. Yes, the FOX dub was good, but the only issue I had with the Disney dub was the opening and ending songs. Otherwise the newer dub is, performance wise, on par with the FOX, at least in my opinion. Both the Fannings and the FOX VAs perform their roles admirably.

Interesting note: My Neighbor Totoro's first dub was probably one of the few non-Disney dubs to turn out decently. Neither Nausicaa nor Laputa got lucky with their NWV and Streamline/JAL "treatments", and Porco Rosso's JAL dub was also quite bad.

I've pretty much found all the Disney-Ghibli dubs to be excellent with the exception of The Wind Rises -- that dub felt very stiff and robotic (despite some good turns by Stanly Tucci, Mae Whitman, Martin Short, and Werner Hertzog), and the movie itself, IMO, wasn't all that great.

Neither Laputa nor Porco Rosso's older dubs saw any major mainstream video releases except in the Japanese R2 DVD market, and even then, both have fallen out of print. Kiki's Delivery Service also had a non-Disney dub (by the same team who did the Totoro dub), but that version was only released on the Japanese LD Ghibli Ippai set.

Because a lot more people are familiar with the FOX dub of Totoro, it's understandable that nostalgic attachment to that version may be an impediment to appreciating the Disney dub on its own terms. If Disney's dub were released first, then reception probably would be more open. I'm probably in the minority when I say I like both versions, but if I am so be it.

Last edited by JTurner; 02-20-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:18 PM   #176
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Great Totoro prints available from Hero Complex Gallery

Totoro and Mei

Totoro and Mei Variant

Thanks given by:
Nothing371 (04-30-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 11:35 AM   #177
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2015
The Netherlands

I don't even know what the dubs sound like. I always watch the original version.

A movie that's also perfect for little kids is a pre-Ghibli one called Panda! Go Panda!, which was written by Miyazaki and directed by Takahata. Totoro bears striking similarities with the panda.

Top 10: (1) Blade Runner (2) Aliens (3) The Thing '82 (4) The Shining (5) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (6) My Neigbor Totoro (7) Monty Python and The Holy Grail (8) Evil Dead 2 (9) Stalker (10) Avalon '01

Last edited by P-Rock; 04-26-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Thanks given by:
Oniros (04-26-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 03:55 AM   #178
Power Member

Jul 2009
Bayonne, NJ, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticmoon View Post
Ponyo & Arrietty would definitely be my top picks. I think Kiki's second half might be a little boring for a 3 year old.
Hello Everynyan! How are you, fine thank you.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:52 AM   #179

Mar 2017
Northern Ireland

I am considering importing this edition to the UK because I prefer how it looks over the DNRed Gamma shifted U.K. Release. I don't know if it has been asked before but does the film have the original Japanese title and credits or are the English ones hard encoded on the disc? Does it have both?
This is the only deciding factor which will make me choose between this or the more expensive Japanese import.

Edit: does the Disney version also have frame stabilisation? In the Japanese and U.K. Blu rays sometimes the frame moves around very slightly and it is noticeable around the edges. I am fine with this because I believe it is to do with the animation transfer in the original source but read somewhere that the Disney blus had been stabilised in some way?

Edit 2: I got the blu ray and the original title and credits are there when on the Japanese audio. I have never seen this before where the picture changes when the you change the soundtrack!

Last edited by Kaonashi; 05-09-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:58 PM   #180

Sep 2015
Greater Vancouver, B.C.

I grew up with Totoro on VHS so even eleven years after Disney's DVD, I'm still finding the new dub very jarring and difficult to get used to.
I may buy the Blu-ray one of these days for the HD picture and Japanese language track, but as it stands I'm perfectly happy holding onto my DVD of the Fox Dub.

If both English dubs and the Japanese track were included on Blu-ray a la Akira 25th Anniversary, it'd be a no brainer for me.
The Greatest Non-Canon Street Fighter
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Tags
disney, my neighbor totoro, studio ghibli, totoro