Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jupiter Ascending 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Insurgent 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.97
Alfred Hitchcock: The Classic Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Guest (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Strike Back: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$22.98
Home 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Dracula Untold (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Die Hard: 25th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
How to Train Your Dragon (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Prison Break: Season One (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Insurgent (Blu-ray)
$17.96
Seventh Son (Blu-ray)
$14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-24-2015, 01:11 PM   #381
Special Member

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
This is one of the few blu-ray transfers that looks almost no different than the dvd.

I know, because I spent about an hour comparing the two.

...the blu-ray is maybe slightly better.
I agree that the blu-ray could really use another effort, but it's worth upgrading to the current one for the colors more than anything imo
Old 03-24-2015, 04:44 PM   #382

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergfoster View Post
Jan Harlan has done interviews where he talked about, on Kubrick's instructions, going to a parking lot with the actual negative of trims and edits from his films and burning them because Kubrick just didn't want them seen.
That would have been while Kubrick was alive. The EYES WIDE SHUT negative wouldn't have been cut until after his death during post-production. Beyond that, I take what Jan says with a grain of salt. Kubrick didn't finance his films and thus didn't own them. You can't just arbitrarily destroy something that you don't own. The studio would take possession of all the materials and put them into storage. Maybe Kubrick had workprint trims in his possession, but I imagine any negative trims would have been boxed up and put into storage by the studios that produced the films (Warner Brothers in the case of his final five films).

Chris
Old 03-24-2015, 04:46 PM   #383

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyHitchFan View Post
Yep, so we'll never see Harvey Keitel doing Sydney Pollacks' part either.
I think I read that Keitel only shot one scene (Bill and Alice arriving at the party). Unlike Jennifer Jason Leigh, who DID film her entire part, Keitel left during production when it went way, way, WAY over schedule and he had other films booked.

Chris
Old 06-30-2015, 05:51 AM   #384

Nov 2013
-
-

Reading this thread, makes me appreciate the blu ray more. There was something, even on DVD, so hazy about this film. The Christmas lights that seem to be in every scene, look so hazy and have this dreamy glow. I never quite connected that look and the graininess of the Blu, to making this film feel like a dream ever more.

Also, this has to be my favorite Kubrick. I love Barry Lyndon and 2001, but this is the only Kubrick film that I think about regularly.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:08 PM   #385
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012

I think I say this every few years here, but this could really use a re-release with new special features (making of and a retrospective). Most of the features were done near the time of the films release back in 1999. And like Full Metal Jacket, it needs a new transfer too.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:47 PM   #386

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by klauswhereareyou View Post
I think I say this every few years here, but this could really use a re-release with new special features (making of and a retrospective). Most of the features were done near the time of the films release back in 1999. And like Full Metal Jacket, it needs a new transfer too.
I'd still love to hear that originally advertised Sydney Pollack commentary track too (if it was actually recorded).

EvilAshLives
Thanks given by:
PowellPressburger (06-30-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 01:18 AM   #387

Feb 2012

I'd love to see a new special edition with an HD transfer of the "Show West" teaser trailer, which consists of an extended take* of the infamous "mirror scene" that's much longer (and more erotic and effective) than the truncated version that would up in the final film.

Chris

*Actually a couple of DIFFERENT takes.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #388
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
UK

Just agreeing with everyone here - would love to see a remastered disc for this one along with more extras. And boy does this one need remastering! The AQ isnt good either.

Havent seen it in a while actually...definitely got to give it another watch soon.
You don't look ready
Old 07-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #389
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
Yeah, definitely needs a fresh scan and new high bitrate encode!! Basically all of Kubrick's films do. Well, the Shining looks pretty stellar actually and A Clockwork Orange already has a 4K scan that was done, why not use it!!!!!
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #390

Oct 2010
South Wales, U.K

Yeah, watched this last week for the first time in years and the picture is arguably softer and less grainy than the original dvd was, though I remember that having a lot of noise...

on the plus side, I can honestly say I like the film a lot more than I did in 1999! What seemed anti-climatic and cold to 16 year old me at the time, felt bittersweet and almost reassuring now that I'm older. Funny... the last scene seems perfect in retrospect, where as at the time, I felt frustrated that it wasn't some big reveal.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #391
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by indisposed View Post
Yeah, watched this last week for the first time in years and the picture is arguably softer and less grainy than the original dvd was, though I remember that having a lot of noise...

on the plus side, I can honestly say I like the film a lot more than I did in 1999! What seemed anti-climatic and cold to 16 year old me at the time, felt bittersweet and almost reassuring now that I'm older. Funny... the last scene seems perfect in retrospect, where as at the time, I felt frustrated that it wasn't some big reveal.
I love that ending! That's how you end a film - right there!
You don't look ready
Old 07-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #392
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDiGriz View Post
I love that ending! That's how you end a film - right there!
You'd certainly be hard-pressed to find a film with a better final line.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America