Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Turbo (Blu-ray)
$15.79
Forks Over Knives (Blu-ray)
$13.71
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Birds (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Turbo (Blu-ray)
$13.00
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #661

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
Kristoffer, it can look drastically better

In general, 16mm material can look exceptionally good on Blu-ray when done right. Chris Nolan's Following is a prime example. This film has literally been transformed - and because of the expertly done transformation I would argue that Criterion's Blu-ray release is one of the Top 5 to arrive on the market since the high-definition format was launched.

Pro-B
I worked as the consultant for the TV series SPACE: 1999 for years. When A&E had first released it on DVD I worked on getting the entire series re-mastered but A&E wouldn't comply. Although I wrote a proposal for the series to be restored for HD (which was finally done years later) when it came time for Yr 2 all I could get them to do was re-telecine the masters. The original elements that had been used were 16mm, even though it was filmed in 35mm. The end results for the DVD release of Yr2 was visually incredible. A&E got away with the packaging stating it was from 35mm, that's how good they looked.
- Scott B.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #662

Feb 2012

Quote:
Kristoffer, it can look drastically better

In general, 16mm material can look exceptionally good on Blu-ray when done right. Chris Nolan's Following is a prime example. This film has literally been transformed - and because of the expertly done transformation I would argue that Criterion's Blu-ray release is one of the Top 5 to arrive on the market since the high-definition format was launched.

Pro-B
While I agree with your overall point re: 16mm, I think the point being made is the current Blu-ray looks very good already. I don't know that it can look "drastically better". Maybe if the current Blu-ray was a terrible transfer, but it's not.

I'm sure a new Blu-ray from this 4K scan will look better, just not sure about the "drastic" part.

Chris
Old 03-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #663

Sep 2011
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Muth View Post
While I agree with your overall point re: 16mm, I think the point being made is the current Blu-ray looks very good already. I don't know that it can look "drastically better". Maybe if the current Blu-ray was a terrible transfer, but it's not.

I'm sure a new Blu-ray from this 4K scan will look better, just not sure about the "drastic" part.

Chris
I remember there being a few moments of colour changes and things like that on the current transfer that I'd imagine will be gone now.
Theres definitely a few improvements that could be made.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #664
Expert Member

Oct 2009
New Bedford, MA

One positive for us double dippers is that there are some great documentaries on the first release that will probably not be ported over (at least not all of them). There will most likely be a reason to own both copies.
Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-ray Disc/DVD Player
Pioneer VSX-819H Receiver
Samsung PN51E550 Plasma HDTV
Old 03-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #665

Feb 2014
Midwest

I remember renting this movie/film on VHS and watching it on my old 19"

I bet watching this Blu-Ray Disc on my PS3 + 1080p 55" LCD would be a whole new experience.

This series reminds me of heavy metal, this series in kind of like the band slayer and the ft13ths,elmstreets in that it became stale and ran out of fresh ideas like the bands metallica or anthrax nowadays. Then again all this new stuff is just a cash in imho, no real artistic camera style from the new one just a good enough story and sum blood/suspense+guy with chainsaw. The 1st one from the 70's is more interesting+original but anyone can say that so my opinion is ignored Anyhow HW needs to get retro and find adventurous directors imo. Just do something different with the camera is all I ask with the next tcm.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #666
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by manunited1 View Post
Is it OOP? I just picked it up last month for $7 bucks... If it is then that was a score.
I bought my copy back in January 2011 off an Amazon marketplace seller because it was already OOP. It's never been particularly scarce, and up until recently could be found through a variety of Amazon marketplace sellers for reasonable prices. The supply does seem to be drying up though. There currently aren't any copies listed on Amazon for less than $21.99.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:49 AM   #667
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcin View Post
I worked as the consultant for the TV series SPACE: 1999 for years. When A&E had first released it on DVD I worked on getting the entire series re-mastered but A&E wouldn't comply. Although I wrote a proposal for the series to be restored for HD (which was finally done years later) when it came time for Yr 2 all I could get them to do was re-telecine the masters. The original elements that had been used were 16mm, even though it was filmed in 35mm. The end results for the DVD release of Yr2 was visually incredible. A&E got away with the packaging stating it was from 35mm, that's how good they looked.
- Scott B.
Hello Scott,

This is very interesting info, and a bit surprising. Perhaps initially there were some funding issues. However, as you probably know very well, A&E have done some terrific work with 16mm material. In 2009, their restoration of Pride and Prejudice was one of the most impressive on the market.

With scanning technology having improved a lot in recent years, I expect this new 4K restoration of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre to look spectacular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Muth View Post

Chris
You should be very sure, Chris The release you refer to looks decent for a 2008 release. That's it. It uses a transfer that comes from an older master with all sorts of limitations (filtering, contrast issues, etc.). Granted the team that worked on the 4K restoration did not do any major revisions, you should expect to see drastic improvements in virtually every single area that matters, from definition, clarity and contrast stability/balance to color reproduction.

Bottom line is this: When treated right, 16mm material can look spectacular on Blu-ray. There just isn't a lot of quality work done for Blu-ray.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-09-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #668
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011
UK

Its been a while since I've watched this movie so I might watch it tonight.
Currently: Playing:Battlefield 4/ Ryse Son of Rome/ Dead Rising 3/Tomb Raider The Definitive Edition
Old 03-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #669

Feb 2014

I can't believe this is already OOP! I scooped up a copy from the amazon marketplace for $24. Glad I got it before it got really expensive! Why does BD go OOP so fast? Never remember this problem with DVD!
Old 03-09-2014, 05:17 PM   #670
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord 4 View Post
I can't believe this is already OOP! I scooped up a copy from the amazon marketplace for $24. Glad I got it before it got really expensive! Why does BD go OOP so fast? Never remember this problem with DVD!
A few years back, there were reports that Warner Brothers / New Line Cinema had apparently obtained a license for the original. They then proceeded to do absolutely nothing with it, and the license apparently lapsed.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8030
Old 03-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #671

Sep 2011
Florida

Quote:
Actually, I will put it this way:

Just because there is no official announcement for a Blu-ray release using the new 4K restoration does not mean that there is no confirmation yet.

Pro-B
Confirmation:

https://twitter.com/darkskyfilms/sta...17855673593856

Quote:
Many have asked, and YES, there will be a new DVD/Blu-ray release of the restored TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE later this year. Details TBA.
Mr. Eddy's Rules of the Highway: Don't ever tailgate!
Old 04-07-2014, 01:52 AM   #672

May 2013
Camp Crystal Lake

Watched this release of the film tonight and thought the transfer was quite good overall, especially for a low budget 16mm source. Just going by memory (so I could be wrong) I think it is far supeior to the original Last House On The Left transfer which is also 16mm.

There are a few places where the transfer could use some improvement, namely the opening of the film with the corpse and graveyard shots....they look completely smoothed over of detail and grain. Some really weird noise, not grain, creeps in when Leatherface carrys Grandpa down the stairs as well. Those were the two big ones I noticed; little specks and lines dont really both me and fit really well into this film anyway, so thats a non issue for me.

A new 4K based transfer.....not essential in this case as its already a decent release, but I will buy it cause I LOVE the film and who knows, maybe there is detail or a filmic presentation in there that will blow us away.
ISO : Original Capitol / EMI IRON MAIDEN Cd's from the 1980's. PM me.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America