Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Charade (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Pawnbroker (Blu-ray)
$19.16
Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
I, Robot 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Say
$29.99
The Assassins (Blu-ray)
$6.98

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #1401
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexildottore View Post
yeah. That's what i thought.
+1
Panasonic TX-P50GT60
Panasonic DMR-EX79
Sony BDP-E870
Old 04-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #1402
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stface View Post
So, I watched part II and have no idea how people think it's superior over part I. Just my opinion, but part 1 destroys part 2. Part 2 is good, but way too long. 3 hours and 20 minutes? I was exhausted from watching all of it. Part 1's run time was fine though. There was much more of a gangster/mob feel to part 1 than part 2. Also, the entire family was together for part 1 and I really like Sonny, while part 2 was more about Michael and trying to keep the family business going.

I will say though, the flashback scenes were done well. Cool to see how Vito came to be.

I have a question regarding the 40th anniversary collection. So, besides the shooting script, production stills, and family tree, is there anything else you get that you DON'T get in the original trilogy set? Like more special features or something? Because you're paying a lot of money for just those three extra assets.

I'm also confused on how many different editions of the 40th anniversary collection there is. One seems to be a hundred dollars cheaper than the other one. Are there different versions? http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Godfathe...item4d1618ef71 (65 dollars and free shipping)

While this is 180 dollars http://www.amazon.com/Godfather-40th...godfather+40th

What's the deal?
Part 1 doesnt destroy Part 2. They complement each other perfectly. Part 2 is more epic than Part 1 and a tiny bit better in my opinion - they are both terrific though and I would give each one 10/10 no question.

If Part 2 seems long to you there must be no end of other films that are too long for you as well. Its far from the only film at the 3+ hour running time mark. Personally, I didnt want it to end.
Panasonic TX-P50GT60
Panasonic DMR-EX79
Sony BDP-E870
Old 04-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #1403

Jul 2011

So, which one has more special features, the original trilogy release or the 40th anniversary release, or do they both have the same special features? I obviously want the one that has more special features.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #1404
Power Member

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

Quote:
So, which one has more special features, the original trilogy release or the 40th anniversary release, or do they both have the same special features? I obviously want the one that has more special features.
In terms of video-based extras, they're identical; the 40th Anniversary just has extra cool swag in the box. And, as I mentioned before, any UK version is missing the mono audio tracks found on any U.S. version.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #1405

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post
In terms of video-based extras, they're identical; the 40th Anniversary just has extra cool swag in the box. And, as I mentioned before, any UK version is missing the mono audio tracks found on any U.S. version.
Okay thanks. Just wondering which is the better buy for me. Are the discs identical between the two sets? Like would the 40th anniversary set have slightly better picture/audio than the trilogy set (besides the absence of the mono track like you said)?

So, the only difference between the US and UK release is that the US release HAS the original mono track, while the UK does not, and the UK has codes on it (whatever that is), and the US does not have any codes? Am I correct?
Old 04-11-2014, 01:08 AM   #1406
Power Member

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

Quote:
Okay thanks. Just wondering which is the better buy for me. Are the discs identical between the two sets? Like would the 40th anniversary set have slightly better picture/audio than the trilogy set (besides the absence of the mono track like you said)?

So, the only difference between the US and UK release is that the US release HAS the original mono track, while the UK does not, and the UK has codes on it (whatever that is), and the US does not have any codes? Am I correct?
Yes. By "codes", it means that there are rating codes on the outside of the box that are large and ugly to some collectors, versus the cleaner look of U.S. editions. However, it's a non-issue in this case because the rating codes on the 40th Anniversary GODFATHER set are removable stickers. And yes, other than the UK set dropping the mono tracks found on the U.S. edition, the video quality across the board is the same, whether you go standard U.S. trilogy set, standard UK trilogy set, U.S. 40th Anniversary box or UK 40th Anniversary box.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:58 AM   #1407
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
New York

Quote:
So, I watched part II and have no idea how people think it's superior over part I. Just my opinion, but part 1 destroys part 2. Part 2 is good, but way too long. 3 hours and 20 minutes? I was exhausted from watching all of it. Part 1's run time was fine though. There was much more of a gangster/mob feel to part 1 than part 2. Also, the entire family was together for part 1 and I really like Sonny, while part 2 was more about Michael and trying to keep the family business going.

I will say though, the flashback scenes were done well. Cool to see how Vito came to be.
Well the flashback scenes make the movie. The flashbacks set the tone for how many immigrants struggled in America. It's about the naiveté of coming to a new country and then facing the reality. And they're some of the most beautiful scenes ever set to film. In addition, I thought Bruno Kirby was brilliant as the young Clemenza. Totally believable. The only problem with it is that the timeframes don't quite jive. In the original novel, Sonny is older and sees his father kill Fanucci which affects Sonny's behavior and later leads to him wanting to join his father's organization. That's not reflected in any of the films.

The Michael scenes are the Shakespearean tragedy. While Vito was a criminal, most of the flashback showed optimism (even the killings of Fanucci and Don Ciccio). The scenes with Michael basically represent the deterioration of family (the "atomic family") in modern society as well as the corruption of corporate America.

Part One is the cleaner, more direct, easier-told story. But IMO, Part Two is a far more sophisticated and complex film and therefore, far superior. I will say that the very first time I saw it (theatrically), I didn't like the opening scenes at the party in Nevada. Rather than being a parallel to Connie's wedding in Part One (which was the obvious intention), I felt it was derivative. And I found it depressing, but once you view the whole film, you realize that it was supposed to be depressing. It represented the beginning of Michael's downfall.

These two films have generated more memorable lines than any others. Does anyone not remember "I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!"

The length doesn't bother me. Every moment of that film has something to say and moves the story forward (or backward). In fact, I wish they included the version that has all the extra scenes that were included in the "Complete Godfather for Television" that appear on the disc as low resolution extras. There were also additional scenes in that version that aren't on this release at all. Among them is a scene when Michael is in Italy and he meets a woman who knew Luca Brazzi. She tells him the story of when Luca threw his newborn infant into an oven and you see it in flashback (umm...come to think of it, that might have been from part 1). There are other missing scenes, but I think they're all from part one: a scene of Kay with her parents, another scene with Johnny Fontaine and a scene where the thugs who tried to rape the baker's daughter get beat up by Vito's men.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 04-13-2014, 03:22 AM   #1408
Expert Member

Oct 2013
From NYC.. Living in a desert now

When this was on sale from amazon for 17.99, was that just a sale price or was it one of those deals of the day? I'm waiting for it to go to like $20 again but it hasn't in a while
Aldo Raine: Yeah, they made that deal, but they don't give a *frick* about him. They need you.
Hans Landa: You'll be shot for this!
Aldo Raine: Nah, I don't think so. More like chewed out. I've been chewed out before.

Trade thread/ wants: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=233331
Old 04-13-2014, 11:01 PM   #1409
Power Member

Mar 2010
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDiGriz View Post
Part 1 doesnt destroy Part 2. They complement each other perfectly. Part 2 is more epic than Part 1 and a tiny bit better in my opinion - they are both terrific though and I would give each one 10/10 no question.

If Part 2 seems long to you there must be no end of other films that are too long for you as well. Its far from the only film at the 3+ hour running time mark. Personally, I didnt want it to end.
"If anything in this life is certain; If history has taught us anything, it's that you can kill anyone."
Michael Corleone to Tom and Rocco about Roth - (The Godfather 2)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America