Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Ship: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$24.27
In the Heart of the Sea (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Return of the Living Dead (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Universe: The Complete Series Megaset (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Witch (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Revenant (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Expanse: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Spectre (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Independence Day (Blu-ray)
$53.29
Marvel Animated Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Independence Day (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Sisters (Blu-ray)
$12.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-18-2014, 10:15 PM   #221

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLarkin View Post
You'll see Hanzo in the U.S. before long I think:

http://www.hulu.com/search?q=hanzo

And if they're willing to do Hanzo, I'm sure Lone Wolf is a possibility as well now that the rights are available.
oh man, Criterion Lone Wolf & cub and criterion Hanzo?
That's set my geeky heart on fire.

I'm curious how well that amazing looking Zatoichi set did for them?
Old 01-16-2015, 01:35 PM   #222

Oct 2014
RVA

Well this is annoying. I have been getting around to building a blu-ray collection for the past several months and I just decided to look into upgrading this one from my DVDs. It looks like for a while after release, this could be bought for less than 20 bucks on Amazon, and a lot of people seem to have bought it at that price. Moreover, there are tons of complaints about the quality of the release. And yet, it's going for like $250 right now from second-hand sellers, and I can't find it any cheaper no matter where I look. What the heck? I hope it gets released again soon, preferably in a version that's more well-received, but even still, it really sucks when you miss out on something that gets essentially bargain-binned and then turns out to be worth a fortune. I don't wish I bought it so I could make a turnaround profit on it... I wish I had bought it just because I want to own it, but it isn't worth even remotely close to $250. I've actually shopped around for a ton of out of print blu-rays for all sorts of movies, and this is by far the highest price I've ever seen, and people didn't even LIKE the quality of the release! Outrageous.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:27 PM   #223
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009

Wait and see if people are right about it getting a Criterion set. The quality of the set was really poor for this release but people are pricing it high right now just because the films are considered classics.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:22 PM   #224
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

I finally purchased this since I really wanted to view the films while enjoying the Japanese track and not the dubs.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:40 PM   #225
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Titan View Post
I finally purchased this since I really wanted to view the films while enjoying the Japanese track and not the dubs.
I just watched the 3rd film yesterday. They're really great. PQ is also pretty good, better than what many say it is. It's a bit too clean perhaps, but otherwise it looks good in motion.

Criterion are very likely coming out with a set of their own later tis year, so I'm probably going to part with mine and put money towards that one. The subtitles on this existing set are great though and I don't think Criterion will top them.
Thanks given by:
Blu Titan (03-12-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 12:12 AM   #226
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
I just watched the 3rd film yesterday. They're really great. PQ is also pretty good, better than what many say it is. It's a bit too clean perhaps, but otherwise it looks good in motion.

Criterion are very likely coming out with a set of their own later tis year, so I'm probably going to part with mine and put money towards that one. The subtitles on this existing set are great though and I don't think Criterion will top them.
The Criterion rumor is just that a rumor (I checked)...otherwise, I would have waited . Maybe in a few years. Anyways, thanks for the feedback. Really looking foward to this...paid $108 for a new set .
Old 03-12-2016, 03:15 AM   #227

Aug 2012

Criterion is releasing a boxset this year. Criterion has held the rights for a few years, but the 2016 upcoming picture revealed that they releasing it this year.

http://i2.wp.com/criterioncast.com/w...ize=1050%2C234
Old 03-12-2016, 03:22 AM   #228

Dec 2011
Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by duketogo84 View Post
Criterion is releasing a boxset this year. Criterion has held the rights for a few years, but the 2016 upcoming picture revealed that they releasing it this year.

http://i2.wp.com/criterioncast.com/w...ize=1050%2C234
Plus just a few weeks ago Marc Walcow, who did the extras for Criterion's Lady Snowblood, was in Japan interviewing a gentleman who seems to be Kazuma Nozawa (thanks Derrick King), an author who wrote a book about Lone Wolf director Kenji Misumi.

https://twitter.com/outcastmarc/stat...93374352207874
Old 03-12-2016, 03:35 AM   #229

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takuma View Post
Plus just a few weeks ago Marc Walcow, who did the extras for Criterion's Lady Snowblood, was in Japan interviewing a gentleman who seems to be Kazuma Nozawa (thanks Derrick King), an author who wrote a book about Lone Wolf director Kenji Misumi.

https://twitter.com/outcastmarc/stat...93374352207874
Looking at that, he also interviewed Sadao Nakajima. Wonder what film(s) that could have been about?
Old 03-12-2016, 03:45 AM   #230
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

Hopefully, Criterion will release it THIS year as you guys believe...I will gladly tripple dip .
Old 03-12-2016, 03:58 AM   #231

Dec 2011
Japan

Quote:
Looking at that, he also interviewed Sadao Nakajima. Wonder what film(s) that could have been about?
If I had to guess, I'd say Okinawa Yakuza War (1976). Since Battles sold well, they (Arrow) might want to release more jitsuroku yakuza films and Okinawa Yakuza War is a good one (and has an insane supporting performance by Sonny Chiba). *

Other films from Nakajima that I personally think would be worth a release include at least Kunoichi ninpo (1964), Memoir of Japanese Assassins (1969) (also with Chiba), Aesthetics of a Bullet (1973), and Authentic Account: Osaka Shock Tactics (1976).

* One of the guys Walcow interviewed looks like Kazuhiko Yamaguchi, whose Wolfguy (1975) (the best Chiba film ever) I've recommended for them to release several times. So who knows, maybe we'll get a Chiba set. That would be awesome.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:15 AM   #232

Aug 2012

Quote:
If I had to guess, I'd say Okinawa Yakuza War (1976). Since Battles sold well, they (Arrow) might want to release more jitsuroku yakuza films and Okinawa Yakuza War is a good one (and has an insane supporting performance by Sonny Chiba). *

Other films from Nakajima that I personally think would be worth a release include at least Kunoichi ninpo (1964), Memoir of Japanese Assassins (1969) (also with Chiba), Aesthetics of a Bullet (1973), and Authentic Account: Osaka Shock Tactics (1976).

* One of the guys Walcow interviewed looks like Kazuhiko Yamaguchi, whose Wolfguy (1975) (the best Chiba film ever) I've recommended for them to release several times. So who knows, maybe we'll get a Chiba set. That would be awesome.
Yeah, some new Sonny Chiba in the R1 market would be nice. I'd take Okinawa Yakuza War right away if Arrow were to release that. I would figure the next logical step would be to license the New Battle Films since the Battle films sold so well for them, but I'll take alternates for now as well.

Wolfguy? Haven't seen that one, but I'll talk your word for it that's a great film. Just wondering what makes it the best Chiba film?
Old 03-12-2016, 04:34 AM   #233

Dec 2011
Japan

Quote:
Yeah, some new Sonny Chiba in the R1 market would be nice. I'd take Okinawa Yakuza War right away if Arrow were to release that. I would figure the next logical step would be to license the New Battle Films since the Battle films sold so well for them, but I'll take alternates for now as well.

Wolfguy? Haven't seen that one, but I'll talk your word for it that's a great film. Just wondering what makes it the best Chiba film?
Well, let's see. It's got Sonny Chiba as a karate skilled crime reporter who also happens to be a werewolf. It's also got a werewolf vs. werewolf karate fight, a secret organization that steals Chiba's blood to manufacture more werewolves, Sonny Chiba the werewolf shooting people with Tommy Gun, a woman who uses psychic powers to make men quite literally explode into pieces... just to give a few examples. There's a lot more awesomeness in the film.

I was lucky enough to see it on 35mm. Three times. On the same day. That's how awesome it is
Old 03-12-2016, 05:33 AM   #234

Aug 2012

Quote:
Well, let's see. It's got Sonny Chiba as a karate skilled crime reporter who also happens to be a werewolf. It's also got a werewolf vs. werewolf karate fight, a secret organization that steals Chiba's blood to manufacture more werewolves, Sonny Chiba the werewolf shooting people with Tommy Gun, a woman who uses psychic powers to make men quite literally explode into pieces... just to give a few examples. There's a lot more awesomeness in the film.

I was lucky enough to see it on 35mm. Three times. On the same day. That's how awesome it is
Wow. Even though the title pretty much says it all, it would have never occurred to me that it would involve werewolves. I must seek this film out.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:43 AM   #235

Dec 2011
Japan

Quote:
Wow. Even though the title pretty much says it all, it would have never occurred to me that it would involve werewolves. I must seek this film out.
I recommend you wait a little more and see if Arrow or someone else would release it. There are no official releases whatsoever; the only thing you may come across (other than 35mm print) is an ancient full screen TV rip (which is obviously not the way to watch a mid 70s karate film where camera tended to be a bit too close to action even in the 2.35:1 frame).
Old 03-12-2016, 09:53 PM   #236

Aug 2012

Quote:

So I've asked Arrow about the Marc Walcow interview with Sadao Nakajima and if that's them. They probably won't be able to tell me, but I would love to watch Okinawa Yakuza War again. I never imagined that getting a proper release.

SPOILERS

[Show spoiler]I remember Sonny Chiba doing a Charlie Chaplin type flip right before he dies that I thought was amazing to see in a Yakuza film.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:53 PM   #237
Special Member

Oct 2007
Lawrence, KS

I'm starting to get into samurai films a little more so this is great news that a future release is imminent.

Too bad I missed on the Shogun Assassin set.
100: An American Werewolf in London 200: Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog 300: The Sandlot 400: Citizen Kane (Digibook) 500: Brazil (Criterion) 600: Iron Man 3 (3D) 700: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (3D) (Steelbook) 800: The Martian (Extended Edition)

On and ever upward.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:41 PM   #238

Feb 2012

So, I'm assuming it's safe to sell this set, a Criterion release seems imminent. its fetching over $100 on ebay.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:22 AM   #239
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Albany, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eri831 View Post
So, I'm assuming it's safe to sell this set, a Criterion release seems imminent. its fetching over $100 on ebay.
It better be imminent after that clue in their newsletter that couldn't have been for anything but.
Blu-Ray Wish List: The Asphalt Jungle (1950), Chopping Mall (1986), High Sierra (1941), Kill Baby... Kill! (1966), Dodsworth (1936), His Girl Friday (1940), Roman Holiday (1953), Fingers (1977), Twisted Nerve (1968), Knife In The Water (1962), The Naked Spur (1953), Blood Link (1982), The Great Silence (1968), A Bronx Tale (1993), Targets (1968), Mirage (1965), The Woman in the Window (1944), Waking The Dead (2000), Secret Agent (1936), If You Meet Saratana... Pray For Your Death (1968).
Old 03-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #240
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai
Exclamation

I got my set and watched the first film...terrible. I am not anti DNR...it is a tool that can be useful and it is used all the time. However, the people who "worked" on this set scrubbed all of the grain, the movies do not look like film = Terrible.

The subtitles are of different colors when people speak: yellow, green, red subtitles. Criterion REALLY needs to release this and give it the proper treatment. Do yourselves a favor and do not buy this garbage.
Thanks given by:
posthaste (03-19-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America