Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Singin' in the Rain (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.95
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$36.88
Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$25.89
Mad Max (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Kingsman: The Secret Service (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Immigrant (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Annie (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Stigmata (Blu-ray)
$15.89
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-24-2015, 04:56 AM   #1301
Power Member

Jun 2010
MY

Last few seasons have been available as web rips from Itunes, but those are full of ads.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:06 AM   #1302

Nov 2011
NJ, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmasciola View Post
I think this is a very dumb move on Fox's part. No way will I get a cable subscription just to watch the Simpsons. I do think I will try to get my hands on all of the seasons available on Blu-Ray now, though. I'd hate for them to go out of print and not be able to get them.
Yeah, they definitely shook me off as a customer.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:58 AM   #1303

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
I think we'll see advertisements cropping up with next-generation physical media, once they push for an always on internet connection to watch a movie, it won't be long before we're greeted with 30 second commercial every time we press the pause button. We're just going to be bombarded with crap, once we're connected!
I would never support any format that requires an internet connection. If it requires an internet connection than the studios would retain full control even if it's on physical media. That would be similar to Microsoft's original plan for Xbox One, which was obviously met with with a huge backlash (and rightfully so).
Streaming and downloads are the death of the preservation of the arts.

Last edited by PenguinMaster; 04-24-2015 at 06:04 AM.
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (04-24-2015), spawningblue (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #1304
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnulf View Post
Last few seasons have been available as web rips from Itunes, but those are full of ads.
What do you mean by web rips? I've got quite a few HD series from iTunes store and none of those have adds. I get a few series I can't get on blu ray
Old 04-24-2015, 07:53 AM   #1305
Power Member

Jun 2010
MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
What do you mean by web rips? I've got quite a few HD series from iTunes store and none of those have adds. I get a few series I can't get on blu ray
Weird, the few I bought have FOX ads of other shows on it.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:32 AM   #1306

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMaster View Post
I would never support any format that requires an internet connection. If it requires an internet connection than the studios would retain full control even if it's on physical media. That would be similar to Microsoft's original plan for Xbox One, which was obviously met with with a huge backlash (and rightfully so).
Yeah for the past two generations I always picked Xbox as a secondary to my Nintendo consoles. But that whole nonsense with the Xbox One was so off-putting, I went with PS4.

God I hope Blu-ray and DVD never gets to a point where it needs an Internet connection to run.
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 12:09 PM   #1307
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMaster View Post
Enhanced AACS 2.0 requires an internet connection during the first playback to retrieve the Title Key. Basic AACS 2.0 has the Title Key on the disc. So an internet connection requiremnt is definitely something that could be implemented.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
Old 04-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #1308
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

I'd be surprised if they went with an internet requirement for UBD. Why put up with the backlash that would cause when the majority of consumers are willingly switching to streaming and download options that have DRM on them anyway? The chances of UBD spoiling the streaming market seem slime-to-none, so I don't see why they would invite the hassle.

Just my opinion though. Who knows what the studios are gonna do with UBD in general.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:57 PM   #1309
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I'd be surprised if they went with an internet requirement for UBD. Why put up with the backlash that would cause when the majority of consumers are willingly switching to streaming and download options that have DRM on them anyway? The chances of UBD spoiling the streaming market seem slime-to-none, so I don't see why they would invite the hassle.

Just my opinion though. Who knows what the studios are gonna do with UBD in general.
At the moment there's 3 version that we'll get on discs, ACCS 1.0 for Legacy discs and Enhanced and Basic 2.0. There's certainly a possibility that Enhanced will be used, even if it's a one-off thing. I don't think it will be very obtrusive, but it potentially could be. It's just going to be a pain if all the players don't have wireless connections, if they're wired it's going to turn some people off, they may want some degree of portability or flexibility.
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
Old 04-24-2015, 03:08 PM   #1310
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
At the moment there's 3 version that we'll get on discs, ACCS 1.0 for Legacy discs and Enhanced and Basic 2.0. There's certainly a possibility that Enhanced will be used, even if it's a one-off thing. I don't think it will be very obtrusive, but it potentially could be. It's just going to be a pain if all the players don't have wireless connections, if they're wired it's going to turn some people off, they may want some degree of portability or flexibility.
It's not the internet requirement that is bad, it's the server check. I will never support any format, including downloads, that has to check a server for purchases to work. If UBD does that would be quite the disappointment.
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #1311
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008

That will never ever happen. Nobody would support such a thing. Nobody
Old 04-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #1312
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredman View Post
They support it with downloads and streaming though, which is all the studios care about. That's kind of my point... they can get people to opt-in to it there, so I don't see much reason for them to push it on UBD, which will undoubtedly end up being a collector's niche format if it ends up being anything.

Movies that go download or streaming only are movies I will only ever rent, unfortunately. Unless the studios kill the DRM eventually, like they did with music, but I reallllllllllllly doubt that ever happens.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #1313
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredman View Post
I think it will eventually happen, studios will want titles to be activated on-line before you can use them and that title will have limited playback on limited devices.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:09 PM   #1314
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008

Quote:
I think it will eventually happen, studios will want titles to be activated on-line before you can use them and that title will have limited playback on limited devices.
No it will never happen. There is nothing more to add then that
Old 04-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #1315

Aug 2010

Quote:
It's not the internet requirement that is bad, it's the server check. I will never support any format, including downloads, that has to check a server for purchases to work. If UBD does that would be quite the disappointment.
Exactly. And Internet connections aren't always 100% reliable. There have been times at home where I'd have power and everything but the Internet would just cut out.

People don't seem to understand / care about the importance of having OPTIONS. I see where studios would want to be able to control everything, but it's the ignorance of people that's going to actually let it happen.

And I really really hope it never comes to that.
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (04-24-2015), StingingVelvet (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 05:22 PM   #1316
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
And eventually those servers, as we've seen in example after example, will go offline at some point. At which point would the studios expect you to not to be able to use your discs because they shut down their servers.
Thanks given by:
Bandit Tajomaru (Yesterday), StingingVelvet (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #1317
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcrk View Post
Exactly. And Internet connections aren't always 100% reliable. There have been times at home where I'd have power and everything but the Internet would just cut out.

People don't seem to understand / care about the importance of having OPTIONS. I see where studios would want to be able to control everything, but it's the ignorance of people that's going to actually let it happen.

And I really really hope it never comes to that.
It will never happen. Studios earn more on physical than digital. Over the World physical like Blu Ray and DVD is in billions of dollars. Hell we still have cd's for crying out loud and there will always be collectors even those that mostly stream are buying there favorites on blu ray or DVD.
Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM   #1318

Aug 2010
Wareham, MA
Send a message via AIM to wd40cloud

I still see Fox's plan to sway folks to their streaming service or a pay-per-episode model as big potential blunder as collectors of the series on physical media already (for the most part) had no problems being several seasons behind, and there was no real demand to view more recent episodes a la carte.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
blu, fourteenth, ray, simpsons