Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Singin' in the Rain (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.95
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$36.88
Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$25.89
Mad Max (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Kingsman: The Secret Service (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Immigrant (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Annie (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Stigmata (Blu-ray)
$15.89
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2015, 04:56 AM   #1301
refnulf refnulf is offline
Power Member
 
refnulf's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
MY
132
20
Default

Last few seasons have been available as web rips from Itunes, but those are full of ads.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:06 AM   #1302
Wernski Wernski is online now
Senior Member
 
Wernski's Avatar
 
Nov 2011
NJ, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmasciola View Post
I think this is a very dumb move on Fox's part. No way will I get a cable subscription just to watch the Simpsons. I do think I will try to get my hands on all of the seasons available on Blu-Ray now, though. I'd hate for them to go out of print and not be able to get them.
Yeah, they definitely shook me off as a customer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:58 AM   #1303
PenguinMaster PenguinMaster is offline
Senior Member
 
PenguinMaster's Avatar
 
May 2009
880
282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
I think we'll see advertisements cropping up with next-generation physical media, once they push for an always on internet connection to watch a movie, it won't be long before we're greeted with 30 second commercial every time we press the pause button. We're just going to be bombarded with crap, once we're connected!
I would never support any format that requires an internet connection. If it requires an internet connection than the studios would retain full control even if it's on physical media. That would be similar to Microsoft's original plan for Xbox One, which was obviously met with with a huge backlash (and rightfully so).
Streaming and downloads are the death of the preservation of the arts.

Last edited by PenguinMaster; 04-24-2015 at 06:04 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (04-24-2015), spawningblue (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #1304
Mobe1969 Mobe1969 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Mobe1969's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnulf View Post
Last few seasons have been available as web rips from Itunes, but those are full of ads.
What do you mean by web rips? I've got quite a few HD series from iTunes store and none of those have adds. I get a few series I can't get on blu ray
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:53 AM   #1305
refnulf refnulf is offline
Power Member
 
refnulf's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
MY
132
20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
What do you mean by web rips? I've got quite a few HD series from iTunes store and none of those have adds. I get a few series I can't get on blu ray
Weird, the few I bought have FOX ads of other shows on it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:32 AM   #1306
rexcrk rexcrk is offline
Senior Member
 
rexcrk's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMaster View Post
I would never support any format that requires an internet connection. If it requires an internet connection than the studios would retain full control even if it's on physical media. That would be similar to Microsoft's original plan for Xbox One, which was obviously met with with a huge backlash (and rightfully so).
Yeah for the past two generations I always picked Xbox as a secondary to my Nintendo consoles. But that whole nonsense with the Xbox One was so off-putting, I went with PS4.

God I hope Blu-ray and DVD never gets to a point where it needs an Internet connection to run.
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 12:09 PM   #1307
chip75 chip75 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
778
1751
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMaster View Post
I would never support any format that requires an internet connection. If it requires an internet connection than the studios would retain full control even if it's on physical media. That would be similar to Microsoft's original plan for Xbox One, which was obviously met with with a huge backlash (and rightfully so).
Enhanced AACS 2.0 requires an internet connection during the first playback to retrieve the Title Key. Basic AACS 2.0 has the Title Key on the disc. So an internet connection requiremnt is definitely something that could be implemented.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #1308
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
437
107
28
Default

I'd be surprised if they went with an internet requirement for UBD. Why put up with the backlash that would cause when the majority of consumers are willingly switching to streaming and download options that have DRM on them anyway? The chances of UBD spoiling the streaming market seem slime-to-none, so I don't see why they would invite the hassle.

Just my opinion though. Who knows what the studios are gonna do with UBD in general.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:57 PM   #1309
chip75 chip75 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
778
1751
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I'd be surprised if they went with an internet requirement for UBD. Why put up with the backlash that would cause when the majority of consumers are willingly switching to streaming and download options that have DRM on them anyway? The chances of UBD spoiling the streaming market seem slime-to-none, so I don't see why they would invite the hassle.

Just my opinion though. Who knows what the studios are gonna do with UBD in general.
At the moment there's 3 version that we'll get on discs, ACCS 1.0 for Legacy discs and Enhanced and Basic 2.0. There's certainly a possibility that Enhanced will be used, even if it's a one-off thing. I don't think it will be very obtrusive, but it potentially could be. It's just going to be a pain if all the players don't have wireless connections, if they're wired it's going to turn some people off, they may want some degree of portability or flexibility.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:08 PM   #1310
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
437
107
28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
At the moment there's 3 version that we'll get on discs, ACCS 1.0 for Legacy discs and Enhanced and Basic 2.0. There's certainly a possibility that Enhanced will be used, even if it's a one-off thing. I don't think it will be very obtrusive, but it potentially could be. It's just going to be a pain if all the players don't have wireless connections, if they're wired it's going to turn some people off, they may want some degree of portability or flexibility.
It's not the internet requirement that is bad, it's the server check. I will never support any format, including downloads, that has to check a server for purchases to work. If UBD does that would be quite the disappointment.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #1311
mredman mredman is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Jun 2008
2
7
Default

That will never ever happen. Nobody would support such a thing. Nobody
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #1312
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
437
107
28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredman View Post
That will never ever happen. Nobody would support such a thing. Nobody
They support it with downloads and streaming though, which is all the studios care about. That's kind of my point... they can get people to opt-in to it there, so I don't see much reason for them to push it on UBD, which will undoubtedly end up being a collector's niche format if it ends up being anything.

Movies that go download or streaming only are movies I will only ever rent, unfortunately. Unless the studios kill the DRM eventually, like they did with music, but I reallllllllllllly doubt that ever happens.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #1313
chip75 chip75 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
778
1751
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredman View Post
That will never ever happen. Nobody would support such a thing. Nobody
I think it will eventually happen, studios will want titles to be activated on-line before you can use them and that title will have limited playback on limited devices.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:09 PM   #1314
mredman mredman is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Jun 2008
2
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
I think it will eventually happen, studios will want titles to be activated on-line before you can use them and that title will have limited playback on limited devices.
No it will never happen. There is nothing more to add then that
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #1315
rexcrk rexcrk is offline
Senior Member
 
rexcrk's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
It's not the internet requirement that is bad, it's the server check. I will never support any format, including downloads, that has to check a server for purchases to work. If UBD does that would be quite the disappointment.
Exactly. And Internet connections aren't always 100% reliable. There have been times at home where I'd have power and everything but the Internet would just cut out.

People don't seem to understand / care about the importance of having OPTIONS. I see where studios would want to be able to control everything, but it's the ignorance of people that's going to actually let it happen.

And I really really hope it never comes to that.
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (04-24-2015), StingingVelvet (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 05:22 PM   #1316
rdodolak rdodolak is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
Jul 2007
1727
1136
20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
It's not the internet requirement that is bad, it's the server check. I will never support any format, including downloads, that has to check a server for purchases to work. If UBD does that would be quite the disappointment.
And eventually those servers, as we've seen in example after example, will go offline at some point. At which point would the studios expect you to not to be able to use your discs because they shut down their servers.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Bandit Tajomaru (Yesterday), StingingVelvet (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #1317
mredman mredman is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Jun 2008
2
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcrk View Post
Exactly. And Internet connections aren't always 100% reliable. There have been times at home where I'd have power and everything but the Internet would just cut out.

People don't seem to understand / care about the importance of having OPTIONS. I see where studios would want to be able to control everything, but it's the ignorance of people that's going to actually let it happen.

And I really really hope it never comes to that.
It will never happen. Studios earn more on physical than digital. Over the World physical like Blu Ray and DVD is in billions of dollars. Hell we still have cd's for crying out loud and there will always be collectors even those that mostly stream are buying there favorites on blu ray or DVD.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM   #1318
wd40cloud wd40cloud is online now
Active Member
 
wd40cloud's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
Wareham, MA
904
314
Send a message via AIM to wd40cloud
Default

I still see Fox's plan to sway folks to their streaming service or a pay-per-episode model as big potential blunder as collectors of the series on physical media already (for the most part) had no problems being several seasons behind, and there was no real demand to view more recent episodes a la carte.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
blu, fourteenth, ray, simpsons

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:28 PM.