Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99
5 hrs ago
Fargo: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99
21 hrs ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Time Bandits (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$41.99
21 hrs ago
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #21
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
Although it may not be the most realistic version of the life of Christ, one of my favorites is the silent version of the King of Kings.
It was recently added to Criterion's Hulu Channel so that looks like a good sign for an upgrade
Old 02-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #22
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

is'nt this directed by the same lady who directed Twilight?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #23

Dec 2009
South Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by captveg View Post
Christian themed films also often get released in the Spring close to Easter, regardless of exact plotlines.

Besides, Biblically speaking, Jesus was likely born in the Spring and not in December. December 25 was adopted as the time to commemorate the birth of Jesus when Rome became a Christian state, using an older pagan holiday as the basis so that the general masses didn't have to overthink the alteration of deity.

Yeah, I know all that, but still, we celebrate the birth of Christ on December 25th. Makes sense to me to release this movie at Christmas time. I will watch this film in the month of December, not March. May I remind you that wen the movie was originally released in theaters, it was released at Christmas time?
My Mission Statement: Be a good person. Be fair, just and honorable. Follow the golden rule. Show Love, respect and mercy.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #24
Power Member

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
Yeah, I know all that, but still, we celebrate the birth of Christ on December 25th. Makes sense to me to release this movie at Christmas time. I will watch this film in the month of December, not March. May I remind you that wen the movie was originally released in theaters, it was released at Christmas time?
Well, my point is that stores will have promotions on Christian themed movies around Easter, regardless of specific content. Hell, look at Twilight Time & Fox: They will be releasing The Song of Bernadette near Easter to take advantage of the focus on Christian themed films. That movie has nothing to do with Easter outside of general Christian themes, either.

It's a staple of home video: release your Christian films in March or December.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:37 AM   #25

Jun 2011

I went to see the first screening of this at a local theater. It was my wife, me and only a couple other people. I was surprised at the lack of interest for this movie as I couldn't wait to see it. It turned out to be better then I expected. I currently own the dvd but went ahead and pre-ordered the blu ray. I enjoy watching this around Christmas. My favorite part is when the old shepherd sees baby Jesus. Very good acting in this movie and even a bit of comedy between the wise men.

As for Jesus movies, I still don't think any portrayals of Jesus were that good and I've seen about all of them. "Jesus of Nazareth" isn't bad but didn't seem to me on how I picture Jesus. I like "The Gospel of John" but the Jesus portrayed in that film came off a little phony. Anyways, the best Jesus I've seen in a film is Mel Gibson's Passion, although it only revolves around the suffering and crucifixion. I would of love it if Mel would have made a prequel to complete the movie.

Anyways, it's hard to find "Hollywood quality" Christian films but "The Nativity Story" definitely met that mark.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #26
Blu-ray reviewer

May 2011
New York City

The Nativity Story Blu-ray review
I tried to imagine a fella smarter than myself. Then I tried to think, "what would he do?" – Joe Moore, Heist
Old 03-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #27

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelR View Post
Sweet! My copy got shipped out last friday. Can't wait to get it.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #28
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorD View Post
It's about time. I've been waiting for a Blu release of this movie.
Me too - will add this to the collection. Not perfect by any means but good enough.
Sony XBR 65" 4K 850B
Samsung UN6500 LED
Sony BDPS 5200, LG BD570, PS3
Toshiba A30 & A2
Sony STR DH550
Polk TSi 300's, M10's, RM8, PSW110
Harmony 560
Old 03-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScottie View Post
It looks as if an Ultimate Edition is in the works.
There is no Ultimate Collector’s Edition of The Nativity Story planned, that was incorrect information on the Amazon website that listed the Ultimate version to be released on March 5th 2013.

So the best and only version of The Nativity Story on Blu-ray is the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack that was released on March 5th 2013.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

The Nativity Story Blu-ray (brief review)

On December 1st 2006 the Nativity Story was released in theaters in the United States. With a budget of 35 million dollars, this Christian movie is considered to be a high budget movie when compared to other modern Christian made movies. The Nativity Story box office sells were almost 46.5 million dollars. The 2004 Passion of the Christ movie had a budget of 30 million dollars and box office sells of almost 612 million dollars. The Passion of the Christ was a more popular Christian movie.

On March 5th 2013 The Nativity Story was released on the Blu-ray format for the very first time. The Nativity Story target audience is Christians and anyone else interested in learning about the birth of Jesus Christ. The Nativity Story movie overall is faithful to the Old Testament prophecies of the coming Messiah and the New Testament historical record. The Nativity Story movie also mixes historical facts in with Christmas traditions regarding how many wise men there were. Like all or most Christian movies, The Nativity Story has a few historical errors.

Overall I really enjoyed The Nativity Story quality of production. Anyone interested in learning about the birth of Jesus Christ will most likely enjoy this movie.

Video comments

The Nativity Story contains two different optical disc formats. This Blu-ray/DVD combo pack is designed for families that have not yet upgraded all their DVD players to Blu-ray players. With standalone Blu-ray players now available for under $50 and low cost portable Blu-ray players available, I wish Warner Brothers would have released this movie in a Blu-ray only version. For example the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack list price is $19.98, however I would have rather seen a Blu-ray only version for around $14.99 list price for those consumers that own 100% Blu-ray players.

The 480i DVD version of The Nativity Story uses a total of 7.69GB of space on the dual layer 8.5GB DVD disc. What is disappointing is that The Nativity Story Blu-ray version is not on a dual layer 50GB disc with a high bit rate encode, instead The Nativity Story only uses exactly 20GB of space on a 25GB single layer Blu-ray disc. The MPEG-4/AVC bit rate appeared to be only around 21Mbps on average. Some scenes appeared a little soft while many scenes in the movie had excellent resolution detail with deep blacks. Overall, the video quality was very good and this 1080P Blu-ray version looks much better than the 480i DVD version (For those consumers that own the proper equipment and sit close enough to the screen, one will see a big picture quality improvement that the Blu-ray format offers). Also the 1080P 24fps Blu-ray looked better when compared to the 1080P 24fps lower bit rate MPEG-4 version that Direct TV offers around Christmas time. The Blu-ray disc also offers an English and Spanish subtitle option in the menu.

Audio comments

I enjoyed the 5.1 DTS-HD Master audio soundtrack of The Nativity Story on Blu-ray which was much better when compared to the 1080P Direct TV version which was only offered in lossy 2.0 Dolby Digital stereo. The Nativity Story Blu-ray with the 5.1 lossless audio soundtrack is bit for bit the same as the studio master. For many parts of the movie the sound comes out of the front speakers, however at times the rear speakers added nice depth and detail to the movie during certain scenes. Also a Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo soundtrack is offered for those that want to listen to the movie in Spanish. The Spanish 2.0 Dolby Digital stereo audio track is also encoded with Dolby Prologic information which means that when the Blu-ray player bitstreams the audio to a modern A/V receiver the matrix flag will tell the A/V receiver to turn on Dolby Prologic IIx decoder so the rear speakers and center channel will be active (rear speakers are mono surround and not discrete).

Extra features

The only exclusive features located on the 480i DVD that is not found on the 1080P Blu-ray version is the exclusive “DVD-ROM features” and the “sneak peeks”. The sneak peaks section on the DVD is mostly made up of several secular movie trailers.

When it comes to the Blu-ray version of The Nativity Story, Christian families will be happy to know that there is no secular movie trailers at all. As soon as the Blu-ray disc is inserted, a brief New Line Home Entertainment High Definition logo is displayed in 1080P MPEG-4/AVC with 5.1 Dolby Digital and then the main menu screen for The Nativity Story is displayed. The Blu-ray disc main menu is 1080P MPEG-4/AVC with Dolby Digital 2.0 and encoded with a Dolby Prologic surround encode. There are three Special Features on the Blu-ray disc: “Trailer #1, “Teaser Trailer”, and “Behind the Scenes: The Nativity Story: A Director’s Journey”. “Trailer #1” lasts 2 minutes and 34 seconds. “Trailer #1” uses 1080P MPEG-4/AVC and 2.0 Dolby Digital with a Dolby Prologic matrix surround encode for those that own an A/V receiver. The “Teaser Trailer” last a total of 1 minute and 16 seconds. The “Teaser Trailer” uses 1080P MPEG-4/AVC and 5.1 Dolby Digital.

The “Behind the Scenes: The Nativity Story: A Director’s Journey” is an exclusive extra feature that is only found on the Blu-ray disc. It is an interesting 23 minute and 13 second documentary on making the movie. The documentary begins by saying that the director set out to bring The Nativity Story to the screen with as much historical accuracy and integrity as possible. The “Behind the Scenes: The Nativity Story: A Director’s Journey” is 480i MPEG-4/AVC with 2.0 Dolby Digital stereo. The documentary is encoded with Dolby Prologic surround information and the matrix flag will activate the Dolby Prologic IIx decoder when one bitstreams the audio to a modern A/V receiver.

I was disappointed that no audio commentary exists for The Nativity Story.

Conclusion

The Nativity Story is an excellent Christian movie about the history and tradition of the birth of Jesus Christ. The Blu-ray version is clearly the best way to watch the movie in ones home since The Nativity Story has never looked or sounded this good before.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 03-29-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America