COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$129.99
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59
My Week with Marilyn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$30.98
Love Lab: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Noah (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$7.98
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Kill Bill: 1 & 2 Double Feature (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Divergent (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-06-2014, 05:39 AM   #201
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Savannah GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustblumyself View Post
I've never seen these films but at this price wouldn't mind blind-buying. What sort of film/series are these similar to?
The first one is a classic! The other ones are just ehh. Actually I've never even seen the 4th one. I guess now that I own it. I'll check it out.
Movies that need to go Blu. The Ref, Open Range, Life As A House, Great Outdoors, True Lies, Joe Dirt, Maximum Overdrive, Pool Hall Junkies, Brain Candy.

T.V. shows that need to go Blu Man Vs. Wild, Survivor Man, Dirty Jobs, NHL Winter Classic 2009.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #202
Special Member

Oct 2008
MD, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris60119 View Post
I kept reading the Attack Pack has the better transfer. I have to say this transfer sucked. It looks like it was transferred from a VHS. I can't see how the DNR transfer can be worse. Anyone want to trade discs only? I'll send you my Attack Pack tremors movie and you can send me your DNR version. First movie only.

You do know what DNR is right? The DNR version is worse. All film grain and detail is gone.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #203

May 2008
Birmingham, AL

Quote:
I kept reading the Attack Pack has the better transfer. I have to say this transfer sucked. It looks like it was transferred from a VHS. I can't see how the DNR transfer can be worse. Anyone want to trade discs only? I'll send you my Attack Pack tremors movie and you can send me your DNR version. First movie only.
The DNR version is from the same master as the one used in the Attack Pack, but once the DNR was applied it removed all of the grain, and since grain is part of film it removes a lot of the detail creating a very flat image with the actors looking unnatural, almost like their faces are made of wax. So even though the original Tremors comes from a dated master, the one in the Attack Pack doesn't have as many artificial enhancements applied to it.

Quote:
The first one is a classic! The other ones are just ehh. Actually I've never even seen the 4th one. I guess now that I own it. I'll check it out.
I agree, the first one is a classic, but I do happen to like the second one quite a bit, too, even though it's not as good as the original. The first two are my main reasons for getting the Attack Pack. I remember seeing the third and fourth movies when they first came out on DVD. I remember liking the third and hated the fourth. When I got the Attack Pack, I watched the first three and found the third one to be awful. I haven't brought myself to watch the fourth one again yet, and I'm not sure if I ever will.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #204

Jul 2010
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHurd View Post
When I got the Attack Pack, I watched the first three and found the third one to be awful. I haven't brought myself to watch the fourth one again yet, and I'm not sure if I ever will.
What??? Gotta love those ass-blasters!!
Actually, I like all 4 films, they are all fun and ridiculous. Obviously the first is a classic and the best of the series, like all franchises for the most part. I'm probably the only dork who actually enjoys the 4th film as it's great to see Burt's early descendant being such a prim and proper dandy.

I'm even gonna embarrass myself more and go as far as to say I even freaking enjoy watching Tremors: The Series.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #205
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkavision View Post
I'm probably the only dork who actually enjoys the 4th film as it's great to see Burt's early descendant being such a prim and proper dandy.
[Raises hand.] Me too. I really enjoy the contrast with the latter-day Burt. And any film with an appearance by Billy Drago is a win in my eyes.

And yeah, the ass-blasters made me chuckle. Unfortunately, though, the 3rd film is a bit too formulaic to be as much fun as it should, with too many performances showing that gritted-teeth fixed grin that says "trying too hard".

The TV show confused me, until I discovered that the episodes were out of order. Once I found a list of the order they should be watched in, I enjoyed it a heckuva lot more! In fact, I can't help wondering if it would have gone over better on TV, if it hadn't been broadcast all back-assward.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #206
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
[Show spoiler]
Old 04-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #207

Jul 2010
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
The TV show confused me, until I discovered that the episodes were out of order. Once I found a list of the order they should be watched in, I enjoyed it a heckuva lot more! In fact, I can't help wondering if it would have gone over better on TV, if it hadn't been broadcast all back-assward.
I know, right! I've read somewhere...awhile ago...that the SciFi Channel (wasn't SyFy yet) hated the show. I mean literally hated it and didn't know what to do with it, which is why they aired it mixed up and out of order. I also believe the SciFi Channel, at the time, insisted they film it full screen and not widescreen, as the creators wanted desperately to do.

I agree with you, I think the show would have faired better and perhaps had (at least) a couple more seasons had it been cared for by a network better than SciFi. I liked where they were going and the whole "Mixmaster" storyline. Fun.

Last edited by wonkavision; 04-06-2014 at 03:01 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #208

May 2008
Birmingham, AL

I think my issue with the third one is that I didn't really like the new characters. Burt was a great supporting character in the first two, and I thought it was great to see him take the lead in the third, but I thought that Jack and Jodi were poor replacements for Earl, Val, and even Grady. I also found it odd that the ass-blasters took so long to make their appearance.

I haven't seen any of the TV show. What's it like? Does it follow the third film? Does it continue the story in any way, or is it more of a spinoff of the movies?
Old 07-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #209
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Just got a look at the Attack Pack version of Tremors, and......ugh. It's hardly worth the effort, if I'm honest. As everyone knows, it's the same underlying transfer as the standalone version with a bit less DNR, yet it still looks haggard. The skin tones have the same sallow look, there's some rampant sharpening, and instead of the smooth greasepaint appearance of the standalone we get ugly, clumpy noise instead. If I turn my sharpness down to about 20% of its normal setting then it's watchable, but that's exactly what I did with the original Blu-ray anyway.

Movie needs a new transfer ASAP.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America