Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic Park Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99
10 hrs ago
Community: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.08

Nightwing / Shadow of the Hawk (Blu-ray)
$8.79

Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$19.96

The Incredibles 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.85

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Odds Against Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Rick and Morty: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Changeling (Blu-ray)
$27.93

Ghost World (Blu-ray)
$17.87

Andrei Rublev (Blu-ray)
$34.22

My Man Godfrey (Blu-ray)
$27.37
17 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #41
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BouCoupDinkyDau View Post
Start digging-in now then. lol
ST: TNG is definitely my favorite TV show, but I spent about $40-50 per season on the DVDs about 5-7 years ago. All I can say is the new BD sampler is like comparing BD with VHS when you look at the DVDs.
My Home Theater
Display: LG 65UH60 4K LED HDR10
Player: Sony UBP-X800 UHD/BD
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR709 Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA
Speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 System
My Motion Picture Collection

Last edited by HD Goofnut; 01-25-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Zeta II Reticuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
All I can say is the new BD sampler is like comparing BD with VHS when you look at the DVDs.
Agreed, which is why I never bought the tapes or the DVDs, although I had no idea that the show would ever be restored to the level that is being done to it now. I just assumed I would never own TNG because I hated how it looked.
Now I'm salivating for it.
I mostly come out at night...mostly.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #43
Expert Member

Nov 2010
Berkeley, Ca

I know I'm speaking out a bit early, but since I have no plans on buying this set until Amazon does a goldbox deal or someone does a Black Friday $100 off sale for it, how about I agree to buy someone's sampler disc once the set comes out? I won't pay the full $20 (which is why I'm not even getting that), but I'll give you something so that you're not entirely stuck with what will eventually be a worthless demo disc, lol
Old 01-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #44
Expert Member

May 2008
IL

I'm probably in if it's around $70 or so. I've never seen the show. Love TOS(still not done watching yet though, about halfway through the 2nd season) and the movies. I could start watching on Amazon Prime, but I figure I've avoided it for 20+ years, I might as well wait for the best versions possible.
View my Blu-Ray/DVD Collection here or here
Old 01-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #45
Expert Member

Aug 2008
LA, CA

Last edited by Rik1138; 01-25-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #46

Aug 2011

Quote:
ST: TNG is definitely my favorite TV show, but I spent about $40-50 per season on the DVDs about 5-7 years ago. I have since sold the DVD seasons, but not before ripping them to one of my external hard drives. All I can say is the new BD sampler is like comparing BD with VHS when you look at the DVDs.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

come on, they are not that bad about "backing up" your dvds, are they?

i am getting excited. look at all the little details you now see in the original series that were not there on previous releases. with TNG, they used more of a motion picture mind-set so there will be even more detail. I have the screencap of the Enterprise from "Encounter at Farpoint" as my computer wallpaper right now and I am amazed at how good it looks. yeah, it is going to cost a lot but TNG on bluray will be sweet.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #48
Expert Member

Aug 2008
LA, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde_devil View Post
They are when you 'back up' your DVDs and then sell the originals...

If you no longer own the originals, you are not legally entitled to the 'back ups'...
Old 01-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #49
Power Member

Mar 2008
Windy Valley, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik1138 View Post
They are when you 'back up' your DVDs and then sell the originals...

If you no longer own the originals, you are not legally entitled to the 'back ups'...
This is true. We discussed this awhile back in a class I was taking about legality and copyrights of media. If you don't have the hardcopy in hand and you have a "back up" you can get in a lot of trouble. The really F*ed up think is that technically you need the physical hardcopy AND the sale receipt to truly prove that you purchased the film legally.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #50
Expert Member

Aug 2008
LA, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterdvd View Post
This is true. We discussed this awhile back in a class I was taking about legality and copyrights of media. If you don't have the hardcopy in hand and you have a "back up" you can get in a lot of trouble. The really F*ed up think is that technically you need the physical hardcopy AND the sale receipt to truly prove that you purchased the film legally.
I'd be surprised if that would actually be required in court... There's plenty of legal ways to buy stuff that doesn't produce receipts (garage sales, record/movie conventions, Craigslist...).

Also, there's plenty of ways to legally get something for free... What if you win a Blu-ray from this website? Christmas/Birthday presents? What if the studio gives you a copy of it? I have a lot of Blu-rays (and DVDs) that I never paid for, but obtained completely legally... Hell, what if you just happened to find it laying in the street? There's noting illegal about owning that...

You don't have to _purchase_ it, you just have to legally own it... And having a copy that was made by the studio should be proof enough of that...
Old 01-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #51
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Zeta II Reticuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobber8742 View Post
I'm probably in if it's around $70 or so. I've never seen the show.
Lower your expectations. Seasons one and two are the weakest of the show. They have their moments, but the awesome doesn't really get turned on until season 3.

By contrast, seasons 1 and 2 of TOS are the good ones, and season 3 has the weaker offerings.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #52

Jun 2009

I'm willing to pay up to $80 per set just because I love TNG so much. I even like the first 2 seasons while everyone else dislikes them. It is TNG and I want them all. Hopefully DS9 follows in a couple of years.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #53
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Zeta II Reticuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mier101294 View Post
I'm willing to pay up to $80 per set just because I love TNG so much.
Right there with yah, buddy.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #54

Jun 2011

I am a huge TNG fan, it is my favorite of all the Star Trek series (DS9 a close second). And from what I have seen of the examples of the remastering so far, it looks phenomenal. Call me crazy if you wish, but I will be there day 1 with season 1, even if it is $100+.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #55
Special Member

Jul 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde_devil View Post
When you put it in quotes and put a at the end? Yes.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #56
Special Member

Jan 2010

I'd just like to say that I agree with the bills, acts and laws cracking down on illegal downloads. People are just using "Keep the Internet Free" as an excuse to keep downloading copyrighted material illegally. I dont care if the studio makes a huge amount of money and the percentage being downloaded is insignificant as they claim. It's wrong and it can raise prices for everyone else who actually goes out to purchase the movies the legal and rightful way.

It's just another form of misguided sense of entitlement some people have that that they feel they have the right to keep doing so.

Now back to the original thread, dont want to derail it.

Last edited by Caesu; 01-26-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #57
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesu View Post
I'd just like to say that I agree with the bills, acts and laws cracking down on illegal downloads. People are just using "Keep the Internet Free" as an excuse to keep downloading copyrighted material illegally. I dont care if the studio makes a huge amount of money and the percentage being downloaded is insignificant as they claim. It's wrong and it can raise prices for everyone else who actually goes out to purchase the movies the legal and rightful way.

It's just another form of misguided sense of entitlement some people have that that they feel they have the right to keep doing so.

Fewer freedoms. That's always a good thing.
My Home Theater
Display: LG 65UH60 4K LED HDR10
Player: Sony UBP-X800 UHD/BD
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR709 Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA
Speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 System
My Motion Picture Collection
Old 01-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #58

Mar 2010
Dirty Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesu View Post

So basically you came on to speak your mind but dont want to hear what anyone else has to say...

I agree people who sell copied items should be persecuted... but sharing should not... its like if I had a blu ray and watched it then gave it to a friend for free... he did buy the copy from the studio (so they lost a sale)... but it goes over the internet its illegal... if something is given for free i dont see the problem... lets say i buy a blu ray and lend it out to several dozen friends is that illegal... is it how may you share it with or if you make a profit... cause the studios think if you share even one copy you stole it
Old 01-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #59
Special Member

Jan 2010

Quote:
Fewer freedoms. That's always a good thing.
Freedom to take what doesnt belong to you?
Old 01-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #60
Special Member

Jul 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Oh boy. This is a pretty huge potential for large thread derailment.

I think all of us agree, to varying extents that pirating copyrighted material is bad. There is a lot of disagreement on if the specific bills facing congress would actually do anything to prevent it, or have other side effects unrelated to piracy. There is much valid conversation to be had on it, but please talk about it in an appropriate place.

To bring this back on topic hopefully. The second part of The Okuda's interview is up and they get into some good depth on the restoration process over at

http://trekmovie.com/
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America