Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99
 
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99
 
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99
 
X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99
 
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99
 
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
A Good Day to Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$3.99
 
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$26.49
5 hrs ago
Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$3.99
 
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$31.99
 

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: They Live Finally on Blu-Ray.
Finally. 593 94.28%
Who Cares. 36 5.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 629. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2014, 05:09 AM   #1121
Blu-21 Blu-21 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Blu-21's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Australia
61
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroj23 View Post
I'm thinking of importing the Italian BD, is there much of a pic quality between both? I think the Shout! disc looks ok but if the IT disc looks better then I would buy it.
Compare them for yourself right here- http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...ess=#vergleich
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:18 AM   #1122
CHEЯNOБLY! CHEЯNOБLY! is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
CHEЯNOБLY!'s Avatar
 
Jan 2009
240
3
9
1
Default

I can't watch this movie anymore without thinking of Slavoj Žižek's lisp.
Adam: Why do you waste your time with that second-life bulls**t? Look at you. You're still in jail. You were in jail last week.
Jacob: Yeah, I'm a prisoner. It's called "doing hard time."
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:04 AM   #1123
Retroj23 Retroj23 is offline
Senior Member
 
Retroj23's Avatar
 
Sep 2012
Santa Barbara, California
185
7
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
Compare them for yourself right here- http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...ess=#vergleich
Wow, the Italian BD looks more natural. I may have to import. Thanks for the link.
When I was a very small boy/
Very small boys talked to me/
Now that we've grown up together/
They're all taking drugs with me/
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #1124
Geoff D Geoff D is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
915
1
Default

The Italian one isn't perfect as the image is slightly cropped (until the last reel, bizarrely) and it 'flashes' at most edit points due to the splices being too big. But I'd still take it every day of the week over Universal's master (not blaming Shout! for this one).
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:09 PM   #1125
alexpeden2000 alexpeden2000 is online now
Member
 
Oct 2012
Default

There's a UK release coming out early next year, miht be worth seeing if its any better than the Italian one. US release is horrible...
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #1126
Geoff D Geoff D is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
915
1
Default

Thought I'd check the Italian one again, the ratio changes back to full 2.35 at the 58:27 mark, when it cuts back to Rowdy Roddy on the ground after Keith David staggers off.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #1127
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->90 SteelBooks™--------->134 UV-------->283
39
1712
130
131
34
Default

I'd buy the IT disc if it had lossless audio because that really makes the U.S. disc IMHO.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #1128
Geoff D Geoff D is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
915
1
Default

I can appreciate that, but there's not a great deal wrong with the DD 2.0 on the Italian one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #1129
I KEEL YOU I KEEL YOU is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
I KEEL YOU's Avatar
 
May 2011
212
37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpeden2000 View Post
There's a UK release coming out early next year, miht be worth seeing if its any better than the Italian one. US release is horrible...
They have a chance to do it right: Italian video and Shout audio + extras.

Really frustrating that there are no early reviews for this so that one can pre-order the steelbook if it turns out to be the definitive release.
"I couldn't think of a more horrible job if I wanted to. And you have to do it. You have to!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #1130
Mahadeva Mahadeva is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2013
25
Default

I have the German Mediabook - http://shop.dtm.at/product_info.php?products_id=56696

It has the transfer of the Italian release, lossless English audio, English subtitles and all the Scream Factory extras. I'm 100% sure the upcoming UK disc will be just the same.

Disc Title: THEY LIVE
Disc Size: 37.101.079.289 bytes
Protection: AACS
BD-Java: No
Playlist: 00000.MPLS
Size: 25.981.526.016 bytes
Length: 1:34:02
Total Bitrate: 36,83 Mbps
Video: MPEG-4 AVC Video / 29952 kbps / 1080p / 23,976 fps / 16:9 / High Profile 4.1
Audio: English / DTS-HD Master Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1646 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 24-bit)
* Audio: English / DTS-HD Master Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 949 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 24-bit)
Audio: French / DTS-HD Master Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 980 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 24-bit)
Audio: German / DTS-HD Master Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1004 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 24-bit)
Subtitle: English / 21,296 kbps
Subtitle: French / 17,044 kbps
* Subtitle: French / 45,366 kbps
Subtitle: German / 18,165 kbps
* Subtitle: German / 42,241 kbps

  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
HornyRhino" (11-14-2014), navydavey (11-13-2014), Sky_Captain (11-14-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #1131
navydavey navydavey is offline
Senior Member
 
Feb 2013
Essex, UK
United Kingdom

Is the German version cropped like the Italian release?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:53 PM   #1132
Mahadeva Mahadeva is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2013
25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydavey View Post
Is the German version cropped like the Italian release?
I've posted some screens, check them out.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
navydavey (11-13-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #1133
Geoff D Geoff D is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
915
1
Default

If the new StudioCanal disc uses the Italian transfer with a bit of dirt cleanup (and maybe even fixing the flashing framelines) then it could end up being the best version yet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #1134
I KEEL YOU I KEEL YOU is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
I KEEL YOU's Avatar
 
May 2011
212
37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahadeva View Post
I have the German Mediabook - http://shop.dtm.at/product_info.php?products_id=56696

[Show spoiler]It has the transfer of the Italian release, lossless English audio, English subtitles and all the Scream Factory extras. I'm 100% sure the upcoming UK disc will be just the same.

Disc Title: THEY LIVE
Disc Size: 37.101.079.289 bytes
Protection: AACS
BD-Java: No
Playlist: 00000.MPLS
Size: 25.981.526.016 bytes
Length: 1:34:02
Total Bitrate: 36,83 Mbps
Video: MPEG-4 AVC Video / 29952 kbps / 1080p / 23,976 fps / 16:9 / High Profile 4.1
Audio: English / DTS-HD Master Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1646 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 24-bit)
* Audio: English / DTS-HD Master Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 949 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 24-bit)
Audio: French / DTS-HD Master Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 980 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 24-bit)
Audio: German / DTS-HD Master Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1004 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 24-bit)
Subtitle: English / 21,296 kbps
Subtitle: French / 17,044 kbps
* Subtitle: French / 45,366 kbps
Subtitle: German / 18,165 kbps
* Subtitle: German / 42,241 kbps

Thanks for posting this. It doesn't have the poor encoding of the Japanese release, but like with the Japanese release, I've noticed that they chopped off the top and bottom of the frame to make it 2.35:1, whereas the Italian version is 2.25:1:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...ss=1#vergleich

But yeah, this Studio Canal version is probably the best yet and I ordered the Zavvi steelbook, which is apparently limited to 2.000, but I doubt it since it would've sold out by now if that was the case.

Are you sure that it has ALL the Shout Factory extras (not counting the trailers for other movies like Halloween III that the SF has)? I'm asking because the disc size (37.101.079.289 bytes) is smaller than Shout's (43,845,880,336 bytes).

Also, does it have the extras called "John Carpenter profile" (2:47), "Roddy Piper profile" (2:11) and "Meg Foster profile" (2:24)? They are on the old Optimum UK DVD but missing from the SF release.
"I couldn't think of a more horrible job if I wanted to. And you have to do it. You have to!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:12 AM   #1135
Mahadeva Mahadeva is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2013
25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I KEEL YOU View Post
Thanks for posting this. It doesn't have the poor encoding of the Japanese release, but like with the Japanese release, I've noticed that they chopped off the top and bottom of the frame to make it 2.35:1, whereas the Italian version is 2.25:1:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...ss=1#vergleich

But yeah, this Studio Canal version is probably the best yet and I ordered the Zavvi steelbook, which is apparently limited to 2.000, but I doubt it since it would've sold out by now if that was the case.

Are you sure that it has ALL the Shout Factory extras (not counting the trailers for other movies like Halloween III that the SF has)? I'm asking because the disc size (37.101.079.289 bytes) is smaller than Shout's (43,845,880,336 bytes).

Also, does it have the extras called "John Carpenter profile" (2:47), "Roddy Piper profile" (2:11) and "Meg Foster profile" (2:24)? They are on the old Optimum UK DVD but missing from the SF release.
These are the extras:

  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
HornyRhino" (11-14-2014), Sky_Captain (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #1136
HornyRhino" HornyRhino" is offline
Expert Member
 
HornyRhino"'s Avatar
 
Aug 2013
UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I KEEL YOU View Post
But yeah, this Studio Canal version is probably the best yet and I ordered the Zavvi steelbook, which is apparently limited to 2.000, but I doubt it since it would've sold out by now if that was the case.
nope have you considered nobody is buying because they think its a dud version like what the uk was supposed to have got several years ago hence the non release?
i guess some people are wavering as the actual version it is hence not buying just in case its a bad transfer.

or maybe your right and there is more than 2k :P wouldn't be the first time Zavvi secretly did Reprints and switch a title from ultra to limited
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #1137
I KEEL YOU I KEEL YOU is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
I KEEL YOU's Avatar
 
May 2011
212
37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornyRhino" View Post
nope have you considered nobody is buying because they think its a dud version like what the uk was supposed to have got several years ago hence the non release?
i guess some people are wavering as the actual version it is hence not buying just in case its a bad transfer.

or maybe your right and there is more than 2k :P wouldn't be the first time Zavvi secretly did Reprints and switch a title from ultra to limited
I doubt it. People who are into steelbooks are collectors to begin with and they probably know about that release and how it didn't even end up on the shelves, and how this is the proper release.

That extras menus is nice, too bad it doesn't have those extras missing from the DVD for some reason.
"I couldn't think of a more horrible job if I wanted to. And you have to do it. You have to!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #1138
HornyRhino" HornyRhino" is offline
Expert Member
 
HornyRhino"'s Avatar
 
Aug 2013
UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I KEEL YOU View Post
I doubt it. People who are into steelbooks are collectors to begin with and they probably know about that release and how it didn't even end up on the shelves, and how this is the proper release.

That extras menus is nice, too bad it doesn't have those extras missing from the DVD for some reason.
im still wondering if the amaray is still gonna come out next year now the date been changed to a new amaray release of Mar 02, 2015 (4 Months) that date just wont sit still
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:46 PM.