Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$47.87
The Hurricane (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Star Wars: Rebels - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.98
The Walking Dead: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$68.99
Team America: World Police (Blu-ray)
$9.98
The Originals: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Universe: The Complete Series Megaset (Blu-ray)
$53.73
Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Pitfall (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$9.99
A Child Is Waiting (Blu-ray)
$15.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-24-2015, 12:50 PM   #621
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac013 View Post
The first Hobbit movie was really good. The second less so, but still good. The third movie was painfully average and boring.
The first two Hobbit films were significantly improved in the EE, I feel (though nothing could redeem the annoying kids'-TV frippery of the molten gold sequence in Desolation), so I'm curious to see how the third EE plays out. Overall, I suspect the EE trilogy will be dramatically better than the cinema cuts. (I'm a big fan of many aspects of Jackson's filmmaking, but his editing isn't one of them. To my mind, he always seems to over-edit his first-release cuts.)

And I'm an unreserved fan of his King Kong. There's no footage in its EE I'd want to see removed.
Thanks given by:
HarcourtMudd (08-26-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #622
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Deckard View Post
He wants to do smaller, independent movies.
He tried that with THE LOVELY BONES and nobody saw it. I did and thought it was OK but Jackson is better suited to big budget epics. I loved every minute of his Kong remake, it's one of the most spectacular and thrilling films ever made IMO, even at 3+ hours. People will expect him to top the LOTR trilogy and IMO that just isn't possible - those films were the pinnacle of his career. He tried to duplicate that success with the Hobbit films and, for the most part he succeeded, but they're admittedly bogged down by exposition and a plotline that's unnecessarily extended to 3 films. He had a sandbox to play and he played he did - to the max lol. He's a true visionary.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:38 PM   #623

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cine74 View Post
He tried that with THE LOVELY BONES and nobody saw it. I did and thought it was OK but Jackson is better suited to big budget epics. I loved every minute of his Kong remake, it's one of the most spectacular and thrilling films ever made IMO, even at 3+ hours. People will expect him to top the LOTR trilogy and IMO that just isn't possible - those films were the pinnacle of his career. He tried to duplicate that success with the Hobbit films and, for the most part he succeeded, but they're admittedly bogged down by exposition and a plotline that's unnecessarily extended to 3 films. He had a sandbox to play and he played he did - to the max lol. He's a true visionary.
Yeah, Lovely Bones was one of those missteps I was referring to earlier. It was absolutely worth seeing once, but I think he took what should have been a small story and tried to make it grand and it didn't really work.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:56 PM   #624

Apr 2015

If I order the Universal 100 blu-ray through Amazon what are the chances of it coming with a slipcover? I've been told it's OOP but you could still find Jaws and Seabiscuit slips and they came out the same year.
Looking for FMA: Brotherhood Volume 2 Blu-Ray slipcover (US). PM me with prices.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:05 AM   #625

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
And I'm an unreserved fan of his King Kong. There's no footage in its EE I'd want to see removed.
Me either. I think one of the best remakes of any film ever. And I'm also quite the fan of The Lovely Bones. I honestly didn't expect to like it as much as I did.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:12 AM   #626

Jun 2015

This is also one of my favorite Movies and is one film that I would really like to see a 3D conversion of. I dont know if it's true but I've even heard before that Peter Jackson supposedly shot parts of the movie with a 3D camera.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:59 AM   #627

May 2013

The funny thing is. I recall reading an interview with Jackson stating after the Rings movies, he would make his next movie two hours or less. Yet he hasn't kept that word so far, with King Kong, and then the Hobbit films all being bloated in the extreme.
Don't forget to subscribe, share, and leave comments on my Youtube channel!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1s...EODhvv0Y1-QOVA
Old 08-26-2015, 03:19 AM   #628

Sep 2014
My parent's house

Jackson has unknowingly created a new genre that only he operates in, "Bloation." It's like Action, only bloated! Hence the term "Bloation."

Fear the man with nothing left to lose.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:47 AM   #629

May 2013

I watched the theatrical version of King Kong last night. It was my first time seeing it entirely since it's premiere. And, funnily enough, I didn't find it that bad, pacing wise, and thus doubt major trims could be made to bring it's running time down by much. At most, it'd be a few little things here and there to tighten up some moments. But again, I didn't see much that could be trimmed.

The original King Kong is more efficient in it's storytelling and thrilling. Jackson's version meanwhile is more epic in scope, and operatic/emotional.
Don't forget to subscribe, share, and leave comments on my Youtube channel!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1s...EODhvv0Y1-QOVA
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (08-30-2015)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America