Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.99
Carrie (Blu-ray)
$14.99
It 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.98
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
The Wailing (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.51
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$12.97
Superman: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Your Name (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Halloween II (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (Blu-ray)
$22.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals

Old 09-20-2017, 07:43 PM   #8181

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post
This is usual for VVS, and it's often much worse than even that: VVS usually scrunches the transfer onto a 25GB disc, when it's 50GB in the U.S., and also they usually leave off most or all of the extras.

I never buy anything from VVS anymore. Usually their release MSRPs are ridiculous, for the quality of the product they're outrageous. They're $5 BDs at most IMO. They're usually "B" titles anyway, often not bad, just unsuccessful at the BO.
It must be real easy being one of these Canadian film distributors, they can do a half-ass job and then go home after patting themselves on the back for "trying". Or just trust that a majority of their film-buying audience doesn't give a shit, so neither should they.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #8182
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post
This is usual for VVS, and it's often much worse than even that: VVS usually scrunches the transfer onto a 25GB disc, when it's 50GB in the U.S., and also they usually leave off most or all of the extras.

I never buy anything from VVS anymore. Usually their release MSRPs are ridiculous, for the quality of the product they're outrageous. They're $5 BDs at most IMO. They're usually "B" titles anyway, often not bad, just unsuccessful at the BO.
Wow, this is very good to know, thanks!
I just took a look at my collection and have 16 movies released with VVS Films. Taking a look at their US counterpart, and you're right, the Canadian versions are often inferior. Even cropping the aspect ratios!

Will have to keep an eye out on further VVS releases from now on, and import the US version from WowHD or somewhere. The next release is 47 Meters Down, I won't be grabbing the Canadian VVS release.
Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO141FD Owner
LG OLED65E6P Owner

My Flickr
Old 09-20-2017, 08:09 PM   #8183
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animatic33 View Post
It must be real easy being one of these Canadian film distributors, they can do a half-ass job and then go home after patting themselves on the back for "trying". Or just trust that a majority of their film-buying audience doesn't give a shit, so neither should they.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agoofykindasuperman View Post
Wow, this is very good to know, thanks!
I just took a look at my collection and have 16 movies released with VVS Films. Taking a look at their US counterpart, and you're right, the Canadian versions are often inferior. Even cropping the aspect ratios!

Will have to keep an eye out on further VVS releases from now on, and import the US version from WowHD or somewhere. The next release is 47 Meters Down, I won't be grabbing the Canadian VVS release.
I don't mind buying them if I can get them for cheap at Dollarama or Giant Tiger, but if it costs more than $10 or if its a movie that I really care about (last example was London Has Fallen) I will just import the US release. They used to be an ok company (their releases were still inferior to their US counterparts) but in the last year or 2 they have gotten really bad/lazy.

Edit: I don't think PQ takes a hit though when its on a BD-25 disc instead of BD-50 though because the audio options are normally reduced as well as extras and subtitles. Also usually when there is an option for an extended cut and theatrical cut on the US disc, VVS only puts one cut on their disc. For example, Bye Bye Man only had the extended cut on the VVS disc.

Edit 2: Sometimes VVS lists the wrong aspect ratio on the back of the case but the films plays in the correct aspect ratio. Ain't Them Bodies Saints is an example of this. It is still missing some extras though.
My Top 5 Movies of All Time:
1. Forrest Gump
2. Back to the Future Part 1 & Back to the Future Part 2
3. Braveheart
4. Halloween (1978)
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Last edited by zeze; 09-20-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Thanks given by:
AVfile (10-08-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 08:57 PM   #8184
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeze View Post
I don't mind buying them if I can get them for cheap at Dollarama or Giant Tiger, but if it costs more than $10 or if its a movie that I really care about (last example was London Has Fallen) I will just import the US release. They used to be an ok company (their releases were still inferior to their US counterparts) but in the last year or 2 they have gotten really bad/lazy.

Edit: I don't think PQ takes a hit though when its on a BD-25 disc instead of BD-50 though because the audio options are normally reduced as well as extras and subtitles. Also usually when there is an option for an extended cut and theatrical cut on the US disc, VVS only puts one cut on their disc. For example, Bye Bye Man only had the extended cut on the VVS disc.

Edit 2: Sometimes VVS lists the wrong aspect ratio on the back of the case but the films plays in the correct aspect ratio. Ain't Them Bodies Saints is an example of this. It is still missing some extras though.
True if the price is right ($3) then it,d be more worth getting I suppose.

Dirty Grandpa is another example where VVS only includes the theatrical cut and not the Unrated.
Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO141FD Owner
LG OLED65E6P Owner

My Flickr
Old 09-20-2017, 11:28 PM   #8185

Jun 2011
Toronto area, Canada

I guess my main point is to NOT relate the review of the U.S. product to the VVS product: they are very often, usually, NOT even the same transfer. The audio is noticeably poorer in the cases where I have both VVS and (replacement!) U.S. version, 16-bit vs 24-bit, not just TrueHD vs DTS-HD MA, I can easily hear the diff. That compression to fit on a smaller/cheaper disc has to have some consequences, right?

Get the U.S. version from e.g. importcds if you really want the film, it'll usually cost overall less than the VVS version unless you either wait a long time, or get the VVS at Dollarama/etc., VVS does have high release-date MSRPs. It's a real bottom-of-the-barrel brand. Honestly, they were that way years ago, I certainly wouldn't know if they've gotten worse...

I do have one or two VVS titles that as far as I can tell are the same as the U.S. version, but I didn't buy the U.S. version to compare, they just seem to have the same content, disc size, extras, audio format, etc.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:26 AM   #8186
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
The O.C.

Quote:
Agreed!

Unfortunately this Canadian release does not come with a digital hd copy or a dvd like it's US counterpart. It also is Dolby TrueHD and not DTS HD. Why these versions differ is beyond me.
Damn. Wish I knew that before I shelled out $15 for it a few months ago. ****ing Canadian distributors...
Old 09-21-2017, 10:21 PM   #8187

Dec 2016
Ontario, Canada

Hey folks, what's your comfort margin? A while back, some have admitted waiting for price drops until it was too late, myself included.

Let's say for example, an item that sold for $100 at its lowest (acc. to camel... or from memory), with an average selling price of $150, but has now been dropping a little bit per day. Are you comfortable purchasing when it dips down to $125 and then realize a few days later, it reached $100 once again? Can you sleep on paying that extra $25? I suppose it depends if the item is beneficial or not, or maybe something you really love.

Anyway, I'm in a dilemma at the moment, lol. Normally I'm okay with 10 bucks or so, but paying over that kinda gets on the nerves. It's not that I don't have the coin, but I look at extra spending as a wasted commodity ie, $20 gets me 2 bags of milk, and a few loaves of bread. Okay, I'm sidetracking...
Still waiting for blu-ray, region 'A': The Changeling (1980), Judgment Night (1993), Ruthless People (1986), The Time Machine (2002), The Ref (1994), Accepted (2006), Reno 911!: Miami (2007), Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971), Murder by Death (1976), Valentine (2001), Summer School (1987), Godspell (1973), Mission to Mars (2000), Timeline (2003), Crossroads (1986), Wolf Creek (2005), The Cheap Detective (1978), Rustlers' Rhapsody (1985), Sorority Boys (2002)
Thanks given by:
alull (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 10:40 PM   #8188

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBetter View Post
Hey folks, what's your comfort margin? A while back, some have admitted waiting for price drops until it was too late, myself included.

Let's say for example, an item that sold for $100 at its lowest (acc. to camel... or from memory), with an average selling price of $150, but has now been dropping a little bit per day. Are you comfortable purchasing when it dips down to $125 and then realize a few days later, it reached $100 once again? Can you sleep on paying that extra $25? I suppose it depends if the item is beneficial or not, or maybe something you really love.

Anyway, I'm in a dilemma at the moment, lol. Normally I'm okay with 10 bucks or so, but paying over that kinda gets on the nerves. It's not that I don't have the coin, but I look at extra spending as a wasted commodity ie, $20 gets me 2 bags of milk, and a few loaves of bread. Okay, I'm sidetracking...
This may seem like common knowledge, so I apologize if I'm stating the obvious... Usually I look at when and the length of time a product has dipped to a price-range. If it's longer than a "blip" on camel's charts, I usually wait it out, also taking into consideration the timing of the previous significant drop.

Also, Amazon's deals and sales are cyclical around Xmas and holidays are usually times when deals appear, so waiting for those to happen isn't a bad thing. It also gives you time to think about whether you really want the thing in question

Unless, the thing you want goes OOP... which happens more often than I like, but only to more rarer 3rd party titles (Shout, Criterion, etc.)
Old 09-22-2017, 01:18 AM   #8189

Dec 2016
Ontario, Canada

^ So I guess in conclusion, you don't really have a set amount in mind, but going with repetition (cycles) and perhaps a bit of instinct. As you know, the latter usually goes against the odds when taking chances with amazon, lol.
Still waiting for blu-ray, region 'A': The Changeling (1980), Judgment Night (1993), Ruthless People (1986), The Time Machine (2002), The Ref (1994), Accepted (2006), Reno 911!: Miami (2007), Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971), Murder by Death (1976), Valentine (2001), Summer School (1987), Godspell (1973), Mission to Mars (2000), Timeline (2003), Crossroads (1986), Wolf Creek (2005), The Cheap Detective (1978), Rustlers' Rhapsody (1985), Sorority Boys (2002)
Old 09-22-2017, 05:55 AM   #8190

Aug 2017
Canada
Default Amazon.ca Blu-ray Deals!

Quote:
Also, Amazon's deals and sales are cyclical around Xmas and holidays are usually times when deals appear, so waiting for those to happen isn't a bad thing. It also gives you time to think about whether you really want the thing in question

I agree 100% with you about knowing whether you really want something. I feel like if I wait for price drops, if I am really interested in something, I'll be excited still, otherwise it isn't really something worth watching for me. I know that approach doesn't always work, and I might miss some gems, but in most cases it allows me to watch and spend more on classics or pricey editions like criterions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #8191
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

This is classic negotiation skills and rule #1 states that you don't negotiate if you can't afford to hear 'no'.

In other words, if it is something that could go OOP or something that you really want, I will purchase it and sometimes overpay if it means that you secure it early.

However, it all depends on how badly you want something.

For example, I've been hooked on BATES MOTEL and when S5 came out, I jumped on it. However, at the same time I saw THE TWILIGHT ZONE (80s) series on DVD for $30 and decided I will wait.
Thanks given by:
zw94 (10-02-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 06:49 AM   #8192
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
Amazon

received one title from amazon.ca dispatched via intelcom express. safe dropped, snr. sent from 6363 millcreek drive, Mississauga, On, L5N 1L8 depot. K3 B42 cardboard mailer and nineteen pockets of sealed air product care extreme inflatable packaging was used. definitely no damage to report item purchased at $10 nice 1-disc artwork for the well go usa entertainment release of wild city blu, purple color tones. trailers for z storm, police story lockdown, new world. primary audio track is cantonese dts 5.1 hd ma. run time of 1:41:39, divided into twelve chapters. 2.35:1 aspect ratio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0703.jpg (93.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0706.jpg (94.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0704.jpg (97.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0707.jpg (88.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0708.jpg (98.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 10-01-2017, 03:56 PM   #8193
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Looks like Amazon isn't going to have a Scream Factory sale this October.
My Top 5 Movies of All Time:
1. Forrest Gump
2. Back to the Future Part 1 & Back to the Future Part 2
3. Braveheart
4. Halloween (1978)
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-01-2017, 05:46 PM   #8194

Mar 2011

Any feedback on importCDS?

I saw 30 for 30 season 2 for $43 up top and was about to order but then I noticed it was a few bucks cheaper ($36 plus 3.49 S&h) from importCDs so I ordered from them. It wasn't until I finalized the order that there was no HST added. So wondering if that will flag it at the border somehow? Just curious. I was about to cancel and ship to my local PO but its already preparing to ship so that ship may have sailed, no pun intended.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:52 PM   #8195
Special Member

Aug 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapn View Post
Any feedback on importCDS?

I saw 30 for 30 season 2 for $43 up top and was about to order but then I noticed it was a few bucks cheaper ($36 plus 3.49 S&h) from importCDs so I ordered from them. It wasn't until I finalized the order that there was no HST added. So wondering if that will flag it at the border somehow? Just curious. I was about to cancel and ship to my local PO but its already preparing to ship so that ship may have sailed, no pun intended.
I've ordered from importCDs many times and never paid anything.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:47 PM   #8196

Jun 2009

Importcds have their own site and I believe they're the ones who bought wowhd a couple of years ago.

Top notch sellers. Great for US imports.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #8197

Aug 2017
Vancouver
-
-

I buy from importcds all the time. Never have been charged tax or duties. Their packaging isn't great but I have never had anything arrive damaged. The shipping time often is a long time. For example I have an order I made Sept 12 & shipped the 13th, that was estimated to arrive by the 29th, but I know it probably won't show before next Friday going by the history of their shipping times.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:51 AM   #8198

Apr 2014

Never had any problems with importCDs, as long as you're okay with slow shipping (as per usual with international Amazon sellers).
Old 10-02-2017, 02:29 AM   #8199

Mar 2011

thanks all for the info, guys. Now the waiting game
Old 10-04-2017, 07:22 AM   #8200

Nov 2016
Canada

H.G. Lewis Feast $127.64 (I think it's still cheaper from Amazon UK, but could be worthwhile for shipping/packaging or if the UK site sells out/you really want the NA release.)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals