Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: The Little Girl Who Lives Down… $12.99 (45% claimed)
Now: The Wanderers $14.84 (4 hours left)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals

Old 04-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #21
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Oshawa, ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist2Inspire View Post
I ordered two Criterions from the sale, and it came to $54.58. Yeah sure, it's a giant buzz kill when shipping and "import fees" are >$14, but hey... at least it's cheaper than every where else that wants $32 - $44 per Criterion.
That's $24.15 per movie, plus taxes.

I think a lot of people forget that although Amazon.com charges import duty, it does mean that there are no unwelcome surprises later on. My recent UK purchases have been free of duty, but it can and does happen. There's also the chance that you'll eventually get a small refund on the duty from Amazon.com.

Another thing that people forget when comparing the prices to those in Canada is that ours are quoted before tax is added.

The shipping charges are very high. The import duty is annoying. But show me a store in Canada that sells new Criterion Blu-rays for $24.15.

Sometimes it's worth using Amazon.com, unless you aren't too worried whether you buy new or used. There are no gas charges either because it is delivered right to your door. You will only use a couple of minutes of your time rather than 30 minutes or more to go to the store. Their customer service is good and you'll get a replacement or a refund if something is wrong. They will never ship you a bilingual title if that's important to you. It makes trading easier if you ever want to unload an item.

Other US retailers also have occasional deals. For instance, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is around $25 delivered from Deep Discount at the moment. It's $34.99 everywhere else.

Last edited by Steve46; 04-29-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #22

Jan 2010
North of Edmonton, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist2Inspire View Post
I ordered two Criterions from the sale, and it came to $54.58. Yeah sure, it's a giant buzz kill when shipping and "import fees" are >$14, but hey... at least it's cheaper than every where else that wants $32 - $44 per Criterion.
Yeah agreed, these extra fees add up. It helps though if you can find a forum member to buy them for you and then ship. They get free shipping to their door, then pay about $3 to ship them to your door. Fortunately I've found a few friendly members who I can rely onif I need .com blus and in return they often get some.ca orders from me
Last 5 blus bought/traded for...1. BB Game of Thrones 2. Papillon (digi) 3. North by Northwest (Digi), 4. Comancheros (Digi), 5. Butch Cassidy (digi),
forum.blu-ray.com/trading-forum/161435-hounds-fs-ft-wanted-thread.html
Old 04-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #23
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

So let me get this right, if I make an order from Amazon.com, no matter how big the order is, I will never pay import fees when I recieve the items, because I already paid them when I go through the checkout process at Amazon.com?
Old 04-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #24
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Oshawa, ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeze View Post
So let me get this right, if I make an order from Amazon.com, no matter how big the order is, I will never pay import fees when I recieve the items, because I already paid them when I go through the checkout process at Amazon.com?
Correct.

So no $5 handling fee.

You might even get a small refund on occasion.

I was charged 12% on the cost of the goods before shipping.

Quote:
Each item in your order is sold by Amazon Export Sales, Inc. ("Amazon Export") or the merchant that the item is specified as sold by ("Merchant"). Those items for shipment to countries outside of the U.S. may be subject to taxes, customs duties and fees levied by the destination country ("Import Fees"). The recipient of the shipment is the importer of record in the destination country and is responsible for all Import Fees.

With respect to each item for which Import Fees have been calculated, you authorize Amazon Export or Merchant (as applicable) to designate a carrier ("Designated Carrier") to act as your agent with the relevant customs and tax authorities in the destination country, to clear your merchandise, process and remit your actual Import Fees for such item.

"Import Fees Deposit" represents an estimate of the Import Fees that will be levied on the items in your order for shipment to countries outside of the US. By placing your order, you agree to allow Amazon Export and/or Merchant (as applicable) to collect the Import Fees Deposit for the applicable items in your order. This deposit will be used, on your behalf, to reimburse the Designated Carriers for the import fees that they have paid on your behalf to the appropriate authorities of the destination country.

You further agree that the Designated Carriers may disclose to Amazon Export or Merchant (as applicable) the amount of actual Import Fees levied on the item you have purchased from Amazon Export and/or Merchant ("Actual Import Fees"). In the event that the Import Fees Deposit exceeds the Actual Import Fees, Amazon Export or Merchant (as applicable) will refund the difference to you.

Last edited by Steve46; 04-29-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:05 PM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeze View Post
I have never paid a cent on my end for any of my 100+ amazon.com orders. The Import Deposit Fee is the taxes that should be forwarded off to the govt. If you can get your items to ship 1 at a time as well they don't seem to charge any import deposit fee on any individual shipments under $20 or so.

I have actually got full rebates on the import deposit fee for 6 or 7 orders in the past few months.
Panasonic 58" TCP58V10 Plasma, Sharp 46" Aquos 46D64U LCD, Sony STR-DG910, Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray player, Sonly BDP-S360 Blu-ray player, Sony BDP-BX2 Blu-ray player, Slim 120GB PS3, Klipsch RF-62 fronts, RC-62 center, RS-52 surrounds and RW-10D sub
Old 04-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #26
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Oshawa, ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo976 View Post
I have never paid a cent on my end for any of my 100+ amazon.com orders. The Import Deposit Fee is the taxes that should be forwarded off to the govt. If you can get your items to ship 1 at a time as well they don't seem to charge any import deposit fee on any individual shipments under $20 or so.

I have actually got full rebates on the import deposit fee for 6 or 7 orders in the past few months.
They just split my 5-movie order into three shipments of 3, 1 and 1. I'm hoping for a refund too. I saved $68 even if that doesn't happen.

Last edited by Steve46; 04-29-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve46 View Post
They just split my 5-movie order into three shipments of 3, 1 and 1. I'm hoping for a refund too. I saved $68 if that doesn't happen.
There is no refund in those cases - they just don't charge an import deposit fee at all on those single shipments. Also they pro-rate the initial $5 fee over partial shipments. So if you get can an order to be 5 single shipments all under $20 each then you should be charged Blu-ray + $3 + $1 (1/5 of the $5) = Blu-ray + $4 in total on each single shipment. Plus these days the exchange rate makes it about 97 cents on the dollar after visa takes their cut.
Panasonic 58" TCP58V10 Plasma, Sharp 46" Aquos 46D64U LCD, Sony STR-DG910, Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray player, Sonly BDP-S360 Blu-ray player, Sony BDP-BX2 Blu-ray player, Slim 120GB PS3, Klipsch RF-62 fronts, RC-62 center, RS-52 surrounds and RW-10D sub

Last edited by Jimbo976; 04-29-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #28
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFUN View Post
I took advantage of buy 3 save $20 deal as well (except Bambi was $12.99 at the time and I chose BATB rather than Tangled). I also added Megamind and HTTYD to the order. It all came out to just under $80 after credit card fees etc. Not too bad but the shipping is a killer on most deals. The favourable exchange rate is making some deals attractive but I buy more from the UK. I've also noticed from recent experience that import fees are typically reimbursed (fully for my last two orders).
I wasn't going to do it, then with $20 discount, that covered shipping and import fees, minus $2, It was still Significantly cheaper this way. I already own BATB.. I haven't gotten a notice I got my import fees back, yet, but hey if I do, Hoozah for me, more reason to buy something else =P
TV: LG42LM6200 3DTV / Panasonic Viera TC-P50UT50
Blu Ray Player:Sony BDP-S590 / Sony BDP-S6500(Region Free)
Consoles: Wii / Xbox 360 / PS4

King of Heavy Metal
Old 04-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #29

May 2009

I haven't had to pay any import fees for almost a year now. They always refund them to me a couple weeks after my orders ship. Even when I got a Kindle, where the import fees were $16, it was refund in a few weeks. So it's not always the cheaper items where you get a refund on the fees.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #30
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Oshawa, ON

The Back to the Future trilogy dropped to $24.99.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve46 View Post
The Back to the Future trilogy dropped to $24.99.
I will wish Universal would issue replacement cases for that massive box and origami disc removal system =P
TV: LG42LM6200 3DTV / Panasonic Viera TC-P50UT50
Blu Ray Player:Sony BDP-S590 / Sony BDP-S6500(Region Free)
Consoles: Wii / Xbox 360 / PS4

King of Heavy Metal
Old 06-06-2011, 05:53 AM   #32

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Panther View Post
They've always shipped to Canada afaik. Some 3rd party sellers may not though
This is true. Some 3rd party sellers will not ship to Canada, but others will YMMV. I don't understand why some business won't ship to Canada even though you are waving wads of cash in their direction.
And then they complain about the state of the economy and how business sucks!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:02 AM   #33

Jan 2009

I'd rather pay the import fees than to have to pay the extra shipping charges to have the shipments split up into single orders.ith Barnes and Noble, you have to pay sucky shipping charges and then have to pay Canada Post The $5 handling charge, plus the extra waiting time while they figure out what the charges are. I much prefer Amazon.coms system. Another pet peeve of mine is that while shipping may be free to US residents, it obviously costs these companies _something_, so why can't they deduct that cost from Canadian shipping charges if your order is over a certain $ value?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:03 AM   #34
Special Member

Aug 2007
British Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark77 View Post
This is true. Some 3rd party sellers will not ship to Canada, but others will YMMV. I don't understand why some business won't ship to Canada even though you are waving wads of cash in their direction.
And then they complain about the state of the economy and how business sucks!
Yeah tell me about it. A few months back i was looking for some slim Blu-Ray cases and came across a few web sites located in the States that had what i was looking for. When i finally decided on a company and placed an order, i got an email back the next day that they couldn't process my order because my credit card was Canadian, i was like wtf. I sent them an email back telling them that i could have been a repeat customer with them but that it was their loss and i was gonna take my business elsewhere to a company that would welcome Canadian orders.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:49 AM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Canada

Did anyone notice that amazon.com to Canada no longer offers a standard international shipping option for $5 + $3 per item? They only offer expedited or next day now it seems. Expedited is $7 + $3 per item.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:52 AM   #36
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Probably due to the postal strike.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #37
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreg View Post
probably due to the postal strike.
+1
Old 06-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #38

Jan 2009

Quote: The shipping charges are very high.

Barnes and Noble is worse and you'll have to pay GST and handling charges when it arrives, although still worth it when they have their Criterion sale twice a year.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #39
Special Member

Nov 2009
Calgary
Send a message via Yahoo to chaingunsofdoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark77 View Post
With Barnes and Noble, you have to pay sucky shipping charges and then have to pay Canada Post The $5 handling charge, plus the extra waiting time while they figure out what the charges are.
Are we talking about the same B&N? Their shipping is $5.98 for 1 BR, $7.97 for 2, etc. but with their coupons (even the crappy 10-15% off and not their usual 20% off), they do have good deals.

Since they charge you GST/HST you should NOT have to pay any $5 charges. The only reason they're 'slower' than Amazon is they don't have a direct feed into the postal system like Amazon.com has with Amazon.ca. Once it goes from the NY warehouse into Canada, it's all Canada Post being 'slow' with the shipping. If I order from BN, I know it'll be three weeks before I see it out here.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #40
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGreg View Post
Probably due to the postal strike.
Nope!

I ordered a Criterion off them this week. Asked why I was charged more for shipping, and was told by the clerk on the phone that they ONLY offer Expedited shipping to Canada now to "service us better" as they said they had been getting many complaints of Canadian folk not receiving their orders or having trouble with the shipping, so no longer with the cheapest option of $8 shipping be available to us.
Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO141FD Owner
LG OLED65E6P Owner

My Flickr
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals