Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Baby Driver 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Alien: Covenant 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Pokémon: Season 1 - Indigo League (Blu-ray)
$57.05
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
It 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Young Mr. Lincoln (Blu-ray)
$28.35
Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.22
Spider-Man Limited Edition 4K Collection (Blu-ray)
$54.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals

Old 02-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-
Default SEIKI BD660 Back at XS Cargo

I saw the Seiki BD660 blu-ray player back in stock and advertised in the latest XS Cargo flyer.

$47.77 for refurbished units. A great deal despite the risk.

I bought one at Christmas for my folks and it works fine.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
Special Member

Jan 2010

A lot of these players failure rates is due to heat issues and poor ventilation. Attaching a base laptop cooling pad under it can help a lot!

For that price it's not a bad option to try.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:49 AM   #3
Special Member

Apr 2009

anyone else have Chronicle and cant play it on their Seiki (the screen goes black and it just stays like that)

I have also noticed a high percentage of movies that have out of sync audio lately (mostly when i play dvds)

anyways i guess i'll have to watch Chronicle in my other room
Old 07-05-2012, 02:20 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2010
Ontario, Canada

whatever happened to their 3D model?
TV: LG42LM6200 3DTV / Panasonic Viera TC-P50UT50
Blu Ray Player:Sony BDP-S590 / Sony BDP-S6500(Region Free)
Consoles: Wii / Xbox 360 / PS4

King of Heavy Metal
Old 07-05-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Last I read it was delayed. Now it doesn't appear on their website anymore.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurai View Post
anyone else have Chronicle and cant play it on their Seiki (the screen goes black and it just stays like that)

I have also noticed a high percentage of movies that have out of sync audio lately (mostly when i play dvds)

Interesting. I bought Chronicle last week. I will try to watch it soon and tell you if I am able to get it to play.
My Top 5 Movies of All Time:
1. Forrest Gump
2. Back to the Future Part 1 & Back to the Future Part 2
3. Braveheart
4. Halloween (1978)
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 07-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #7

Apr 2009
Default Why refurbished?

For $47.77 I guess you can't go too far wrong - but WM has these on sale pretty regularly for not much more - and not refurbished.

Have 3 and never had an issue yet.

Cheers,
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGreg View Post
I saw the Seiki BD660 blu-ray player back in stock and advertised in the latest XS Cargo flyer.

$47.77 for refurbished units. A great deal despite the risk.

I bought one at Christmas for my folks and it works fine.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Toronto, Ontario

These are the ones that can have the regions changed easily, right?
Old 07-06-2012, 03:14 AM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Yes they are.

At the time I posted this XS Cargo deal (Christmas 2011) the Seikis were still $79 at Walmart.

It's true that they do drop in price, but you will find that not all Walmarts stock the Seiki and it is not a regularly stocked item.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Yes they are.

At the time I posted this XS Cargo deal (Christmas 2011) the Seikis were still $79 at Walmart.

It's true that they do drop in price, but you will find that not all Walmarts stock the Seiki and it is not a regularly stocked item.
The Walmart's here always have at least 5-8 in stock

King of Heavy Metal
Old 07-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:

Ok, I just watched it on my Seiki and it played fine. However, it did take longer to load the disc compared to other blu-rays.
My Top 5 Movies of All Time:
1. Forrest Gump
2. Back to the Future Part 1 & Back to the Future Part 2
3. Braveheart
4. Halloween (1978)
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 07-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
Special Member

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeze View Post
Ok, I just watched it on my Seiki and it played fine. However, it did take longer to load the disc compared to other blu-rays.
maybe i gave up waiting too soon then lol...all i know is when i ran it on my ps3 it didnt take long
Old 07-07-2012, 03:27 AM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Panther View Post
The Walmart's here always have at least 5-8 in stock
The Walmart near my house seems to always have one or two in stock. However, the Walmart about 5 km away almost never has them and can't tell you when they come in stock.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:57 AM   #14
Contributor

Oct 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Canada

Quote:
maybe i gave up waiting too soon then lol...all i know is when i ran it on my ps3 it didnt take long
For my BDP-S350 Sony Player, ALL of Fox's newer discs take a lot longer to load, so maybe that's the issue with the Seiki.
2849 DVDs,
2416 Blu-rays,
165 HD DVDs,
144 Laserdiscs
& counting...

Sale/Trade Thread (new titles regularly: Canadian exclusives, slipcovers, steelbooks): http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=116007
Old 07-09-2012, 02:17 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
The Walmart near my house seems to always have one or two in stock. However, the Walmart about 5 km away almost never has them and can't tell you when they come in stock.
I was going to take a picture of the east end Walmart here for you. Over 25 of them on 2 different display racks. =P

King of Heavy Metal
Old 07-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Tried one XS Cargo today, apparently they should have had one in stock, but no-one in the store could find it, ended up leaving after half an hour of me, as well as 3 other employees scouring the blu-ray player racks, as well as the back storage room.

By that time it was pretty obvious that there was no Seiki player in the store

Stopped into Wal-Mart later, the Seiki wasn't even on my mind until I saw it in the electronics section, thought about it while I looked around and ended up getting it.

This was the Wal-Mart in the Scarborough Town Centre, they had at least 8 others if anyone in Toronto is interested. Also, the player I bought is slightly different from the model they had on display (ports on the back are in different positions).

$50 for a refurb is nice, but so is $78 for a brand new unit with Wal-Mart's 14-day return policy and a 1 year manufacturers warranty. I wanted a player for my college dorm in September, so I didn't really have time to wait and see if Wal-Mart will drop the price again

I do have some questions about the unit. Firstly, the remote (maybe it's just mine) SUCKS! It seems to be very unresponsive, often you have to push a button several times, sometimes I can be pressing buttons for 2 minutes without anything happening, then suddenly it snaps back to being responsive again...

I'll likely be taking it back to Wal-Mart to get another unit if this keeps up, but will try updating the firmware first.

Also, the system prominently features both the DTS-HD and the Dolby TrueHD logos on the front, yet some websites (such as FS and BB) list it as supporting Dolby but not DTS high-definition audio. What's to be made of this?

Lastly, as I mentioned earlier, there are obviously at least 2 different models of the BD660, as the Wal-Mart display unit had the jacks in different positions as mine does. I'm assuming the ones on the shelves (including mine) are newer units. I've heard that the newer units are supposedly less prone to overheating, which I've heard was an issue with these Seiki players. For what it's worth, I had mine on for about an hour testing different formats (CD, DVD, BD, USB, etc.) and it didn't feel any hotter than when I took it out of the box.

If you took the time to read all of that... thanks!

Any insight or comments would be appreciated

EDIT:

I lied, one more question! When testing 4:3 DVDs of TV shows, the Seiki likes to stretch them to 16:9, and I can't find a way to switch back to the normal aspect ratio. I tried several 4:3 DVDs, all of which were stretched to 16:9. After testing several blu-rays, I popped in Magnum P.I., which was one of the DVDs I had tried earlier. I played around with most of the settings and was about to eject the disc when I realized it was playing in the correct 4:3 ratio!

Only problem is, I have no idea how I did this, or if it was my doing at all...

Help!

Last edited by nmycon; 07-30-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:55 AM   #17
Banned

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmycon View Post
I do have some questions about the unit. Firstly, the remote (maybe it's just mine) SUCKS! It seems to be very unresponsive, often you have to push a button several times, sometimes I can be pressing buttons for 2 minutes without anything happening, then suddenly it snaps back to being responsive again...
Here's the post about identifying old and new Seiki BD660:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...78#post1294878

Basically look for the coax rca jack in between the HDMI and ethernet ports, that's the new version.

Firmware 4.2F6 also should indicate if you have the new version.

The remote is slow responding, doing multiple presses won't help and might confuse things. Also you need to make sure it is aimed straight and square at the receiver, with minimal angle.

You almost have to think like you are the player, and realize that when it is doing some operation like starting to play, read the disc, or eject the disc, that it will continue doing that operation until it's done and won't respond to interruptions from the remote in the meantime. Same behavior with the front panel buttons. It's annoying but possible to use once you become accustomed to how it operates. The player is popular because it can read other region discs and is reasonably speedy, but not for its user interface or build quality.

Can't speak about 4:3 discs, but I would suggest things like:
- zoom button
- remove the disc and go in the main setup to try various display settings
- make sure it's not your display that is affecting the picture
- see if you can toggle overscan on/off to get different zoom options
Old 07-31-2012, 03:03 AM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

I don't really find the remote slow to respond. On boot up there is about a 30 sec delay before any of the commands work, so if you are talking about that, then turn it on, get a coffee, and then come back and eject the tray.

Also, make sure you are using the factory batteries. Something about the Asian batteries have slightly smaller dimensions and work better in the remote. I think half or more of the returns are due to customers putting North American batteries in and then returning the unit because 'the remote doesn't work'.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:11 AM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Quote:
I don't really find the remote slow to respond. On boot up there is about a 30 sec delay before any of the commands work, so if you are talking about that, then turn it on, get a coffee, and then come back and eject the tray.
I think it's definitely my remote then...

Every 2 minutes or so I get a 30-45 second "dropout" period where the remote just won't work, sometimes menus are open on-screen, but sometimes i'm just watching a movie and want to pause, and i can't

And about the batteries... what do you do when the factory batteries die

I've read a post on another site about the size differences and I'm not buying it. The total length (from -ve end to +ve tip) is the same, so is the diameter of the battery. A contact is a contact is a contact, so it won't matter how long or pointy the tip on the +ve end is.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:51 AM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmycon View Post
I think it's definitely my remote then...

Every 2 minutes or so I get a 30-45 second "dropout" period where the remote just won't work, sometimes menus are open on-screen, but sometimes i'm just watching a movie and want to pause, and i can't

And about the batteries... what do you do when the factory batteries die

I've read a post on another site about the size differences and I'm not buying it. The total length (from -ve end to +ve tip) is the same, so is the diameter of the battery. A contact is a contact is a contact, so it won't matter how long or pointy the tip on the +ve end is.
If you are using the batteries that come with the unit and still have a problem, then it's your remote.

I can pause my movie anytime, instantly, and I use my unit every night.

From what I understand, the dimensions of the Asian batteries are not the same. They are slightly smaller. I've seen this happen on cheap Asian battery operated toys too.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals