Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Baby Driver 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Mummy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Your Name (Blu-ray)
$61.49
John Wick: Chapter 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Pretty Woman (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Pokémon: Season 1 - Indigo League (Blu-ray)
$57.05
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Alien: Covenant 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek Beyond 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals

Old 07-28-2015, 01:43 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Canada
Default Region Free Blu-ray Player

Anyone have any good deals (prices) to share on where to find a good region free player?
Old 07-28-2015, 01:51 AM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Sucks that they were forced to discontinue the Seiki. It was a cheap and mostly reliable player.
My Top 5 Movies of All Time:
1. Forrest Gump
2. Back to the Future Part 1 & Back to the Future Part 2
3. Braveheart
4. Halloween (1978)
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 07-28-2015, 01:55 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeze View Post
Sucks that they were forced to discontinue the Seiki. It was a cheap and mostly reliable player.
Yeah kicking myself that I didn't get one when they were on sale.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:06 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2010
Ontario, Canada

http://www.220-electronics.com/regio...y-players.html

make sure you pick the "region free" option on the players page.. its about a $40 charge to make them RF... but there's a blu ray horror group on FB and they all get theirs from there.

Sure the terrible canadian dollar makes it almost not worth it, but ...
TV: LG42LM6200 3DTV / Panasonic Viera TC-P50UT50
Blu Ray Player:Sony BDP-S590 / Sony BDP-S6500(Region Free)
Consoles: Wii / Xbox 360 / PS4

King of Heavy Metal
Old 07-28-2015, 02:08 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2009
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawq View Post
Anyone have any good deals (prices) to share on where to find a good region free player?
Yes...and they are discussed in the Blu-ray Players and Recorders section of this web site.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:28 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlinmeyer View Post
Yes...and they are discussed in the Blu-ray Players and Recorders section of this web site.
And this is a Canadian Deals section, most of these forums cater to Americans so I decided to come here being Canadian
Old 07-28-2015, 02:38 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2009
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawq View Post
And this is a Canadian Deals section, most of these forums cater to Americans so I decided to come here being Canadian
It is Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals, so it shows up in my Hot Deals as it does for most people. Thinking there was a Hot Deal on a region free player, I clicked on it and found your question. That is why I provided you the proper area for your thread and also to find several threads that talk about several sites to get various models and the cheapest site in some cases.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:42 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

If you are interested, both the PS4 (i've tested this one) and Xbox One (this is listed as a region free) are region free players.

You can find one for about $300-350 if you wait for a sale, plus video games if your a gamer.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:48 AM   #9
Power Member

Jul 2011
Alberta, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Panther View Post
http://www.220-electronics.com/regio...y-players.html

make sure you pick the "region free" option on the players page.. its about a $40 charge to make them RF... but there's a blu ray horror group on FB and they all get theirs from there.

Sure the terrible canadian dollar makes it almost not worth it, but ...
I second this.

Bought a player from them last month, and it plays all the discs I got from weird places without any issues, even after the firmware updates.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:03 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Calgary, Canada 🍁

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/b/AOFN7Y8UZVZ7C

Got mine from them a few years ago and it has worked perfectly. Liked that most of their players are fulfilled by Amazon.ca so knew if something didn't work I wasn't in for a hassle. They don't have the specific LG I decided on anymore but plenty of choices and newer models than I have. Also like that they included a backup disc to re-install the firmware if anything stopped functioning.

Also seems to be much cheaper than that other site posted above. For example I just compared the Sony S6500 out of curiosity. On that site with the cheapest shipping it is $276 USD which with the terrible dollar is over $350 CDN. Compared to $279 CDN with free shipping on Amazon.ca...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B010R1...ID=515w5Wn3UJL

Almost $100 less and you would get it faster, not have to worry about potential duties and be covered by Amazon.ca returns or exchanges being hassle free if something wasn't functioning. But 4.9 stars out of 5 on top of my own experience makes me think the odds of one not working are slim. And like I said just picked the Sony to compare out of curiosty since it was one of the first listings on both. There are cheaper options.
🎮 XBL: xHAYA8U5Ax 🎮 PSN: Hayabusa85 🎮 Wii U: Hayabusa85 🎮

Last edited by Hayabusa85; 07-28-2015 at 04:54 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:19 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfett9 View Post
If you are interested, both the PS4 (i've tested this one) and Xbox One (this is listed as a region free) are region free players.

You can find one for about $300-350 if you wait for a sale, plus video games if your a gamer.
ps4 = region free ? is this ca only ?
Old 07-28-2015, 04:30 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Calgary, Canada 🍁

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikkbradd View Post
ps4 = region free ? is this ca only ?
Nope it is the same in Canada as anywhere. Region free for games not movies and no PAL to NTSC converter for any 50hz content even if a disc itself is region free. So think they are just confused by it being region free for games.

Last edited by Hayabusa85; 07-28-2015 at 04:46 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #13

Jun 2011
Toronto area, Canada

I would not buy a PS4 if your main intention is to play Blu-rays, there are plenty of better choices for that including the PS3 (not all-region). Gaming is a different matter.

Funny that kdawq asked this question here yesterday. I was going to ask the exact same thing. And yesterday too! But decided not to because of the reason somebody mentioned...

I didn't even know there was a more appropriate subforum, but as was also pointed out, the vast majority of purchasing info on this forum is useless to most of us Canadians. Americans in general have no idea what we can and can't get here, and how much it sometimes costs to import items that are cheap and easy to get in the U.S. (ridiculous "shipping" charges). IOW the exact opposite for us as Seikis were to them (a $50 all-region BDP).

I do have a Seiki, and never had a prob with it (I keep it a bit elevated because the bottom gets very hot), but I've been buying so many "B" BDs that sometimes I get nervous. Getting an all-region (technically, for BD, there's no such thing as "region-free", that's DVDs) mod for one of the Oppos is very expensive these days, even if our $ was at par it would be expensive. That would be my "plan B" () if all else fails, at least I could play the BDs.

Edit: d'oh, forgot to say that I am very interested in one of these BDPs too. Has to be <$200 or I may as well mod an Oppo. Why doesn't WM sell the Seikis anymore? I never did find that out...is it because of the "sunset" clause and somebody started coming down on them? Things like that never seemed to bother Seiki/WM before; did our laws change?

Last edited by cfraser; 07-28-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:24 AM   #14
Special Member

Feb 2013
Edmonton, AB

Seiki has a 4K up scaling player available at Sears in the states for $70 U.S. And still has the code to switch regions. Unfortunately does not support 3D.

I have the SR 212 I got at XS cargo a couple years ago for $40. There had been a stack of them there, when I found out how much they were selling for I went back and they were all gone.

I also got a bd660 off kijiji with a box of DVDs and blus for $60. It didn't have the remote but I figured I could just use the other one. Nope. Not even the power button worked. No remote, no code. Still need to get a replacement remote for that one. Check kijiji or Craigslist, they turn up for time to time for cheap.

Eventually I'll get an oppo, need the region switching for some 3D titles, and the lossless processor (my receiver is twenty years old so I use the processor in my Blu).
1. "Serve the public trust"
2. "Protect the innocent"
3. "Uphold the law"
Old 07-29-2015, 04:34 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

I have a Pioneer 3D region-free player. Bought it off Amazon a few years ago and couldn't be happier. Was not expensive.

Yes, I bought three or four Seikis when they were at Walmart, but they don't do 3D, so I gave them away. The one I used the most eventually had issues after maybe 2 years of daily use.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:06 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa85 View Post
Nope it is the same in Canada as anywhere. Region free for games not movies and no PAL to NTSC converter for any 50hz content even if a disc itself is region free. So think they are just confused by it being region free for games.
nope I got a region B copy of Sherlock from UK played fine for me on PS4.

Same disc no go in my PS3.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:19 AM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:

Sherlock what? There are several Sherlock titles.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Calgary, Canada 🍁

Quote:

My bad on part of that post. It isn't region free but it is 50hz friendly. Was thinking PS3 with that part and forgot the PS4 was 50hz friendly. Which is why Sherlock will play in the PS4 and not the PS3 as discussed here..... http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=348

The disc isn't region locked itself though so don't be fooled by that working and think it is a region free player when it was the 50hz factor instead. If you were to import a locked disc it won't play so don't import anything without researching if it is locked first.

Last edited by Hayabusa85; 07-30-2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:02 PM   #19

Jun 2011
Toronto area, Canada

^ Yes, that is the reason many BDs on UK amazon aren't called "region-free" even when they are in fact all-region: there is 50Hz material on them, and famously Sonys usually choke on 50Hz. Usually it's a promo/trailer/ad or the main menu.

There are tricks to force some players (like the PS3) to skip this 50Hz preamble stuff (on all-region BDs) and go straight to the menu, but you're screwed if the main menu is in 50Hz (that's not common).

All in all, better to have a proper all region player. But I remember reading that many of the Panasonics, some Pioneers, and numerous of the newer Sonys will do all regions without mods. [Edit: don't know about the Samsungs and LGs.] Some of these models are not really commonly sold in Canada, least at big box stores, and when they are sold are kind of over-priced IMO, considering their cheap build that makes a Seiki look pretty solid (but still ugly).

The first basic clue to maybe you're getting an all-region player is to look for a universal power supply, like 50/60Hz and ~100-240V. Without that, there's no chance I'd say, I can't think of one all-region player that doesn't have this.

Last edited by cfraser; 07-30-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:36 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

I don't think 50i support has anything to do with the power supply.

Typically, most (all?) modern power supplies will support up to 240 and 50/60 Hz.

That has nothing to do with 50i support for HDTV. I think I may have come across an issue with 50i with my PS3, and got around it by lowering the output resolution of my PS3 just to get past the 50i section.

This was later fixed in firmware upgrades.

But all in all, yes, I agree that this has nothing to do with region-free support.

All players are designed to support all regions, but for legal reasons, they are set to the region they are sold in. The only thing that sometimes happens is that the service menus are leaked out onto the internet and you can change the region setting.

Otherwise, the players are modded to support an external device.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals