Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Baby Driver 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Breakfast Club (Blu-ray)
$28.35
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Mummy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Your Name (Blu-ray)
$61.49
Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
John Wick: Chapter 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
It 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Arrival 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Passengers 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals

Old 12-24-2016, 10:02 PM   #81
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawq View Post
They have it at the brick for 149.99 but it says it's region A. Would it be the same player?
There are no such thing as a manufactured Region Free player, only mods (voiding the manufacturer's warranty and possibly locking the firmware) and hacks.

You should read the dedicated thread for Region All players.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:21 AM   #82
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui View Post
this is the main reason i haven't jumped on a region free player as of yet, specifically the ac adapter. i've had way too many of them go bad over the years to have much confidence on how long it will last.
The AC adapter shouldn't be an issue. You can easily replace the wall wart with any wall wart from any electronics store.

My larger concern is the durability of it since I use my player pretty much every day.

Having said that, I've had an RF player now for seven years and can't imagine life without one. I have even bought them for my parents' place so that I can use it there when I visit.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:23 AM   #83
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by uther View Post
There are no such thing as a manufactured Region Free player, only mods (voiding the manufacturer's warranty and possibly locking the firmware) and hacks.

You should read the dedicated thread for Region All players.
The old Seiki player was probably the closest thing to a manufacturer's region free player, but that was because of the secret menu that someone discovered. It was definitely not in the manual.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #84

Jan 2011
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGreg View Post
The AC adapter shouldn't be an issue. You can easily replace the wall wart with any wall wart from any electronics store.
In my past experiences it wasn't so easy to replace the ac adapter, but i guess that all depends on the specific adapter. Not saying it's impossible but If i have to pay $40+ for a replacement my patience gets worn out quickly (as i have on a few sling products)
Old 12-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #85

Jun 2011
Toronto area, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui View Post
In my past experiences it wasn't so easy to replace the ac adapter, but i guess that all depends on the specific adapter. Not saying it's impossible but If i have to pay $40+ for a replacement my patience gets worn out quickly (as i have on a few sling products)
I wouldn't worry about the wall-wart. The switchers with name brand devices are much better in every way than they usually were from say 5 years ago, especially re reliability. There are all sorts of other reasons to hate them though. The Sony ones are quite easy to replace one way or the other, should you ever need to.

Hope I didn't dissuade anyone from getting one of the Sony multi-region BDPs. I was just telling you some of the stuff the fluffy reviews don't. You need to decide what you want to do. The thing is, the S1700 (lowest model) does all I really want to do, which is play 2D region B BDs. I have all sorts of IMO "better" devices for most other things.

I decided though to get a higher model that will do the odd thing that none of my other BD players will do, for an extra $90 all-in. Maybe I'll use those features... Check out the Panasonics and LGs too. At the time, the Sonys just seemed the better choice for me, no Pioneers available and limited Pannies.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:52 AM   #86

Oct 2015
Toronto, CANADA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post
I wouldn't worry about the wall-wart. The switchers with name brand devices are much better in every way than they usually were from say 5 years ago, especially re reliability. There are all sorts of other reasons to hate them though. The Sony ones are quite easy to replace one way or the other, should you ever need to.

Hope I didn't dissuade anyone from getting one of the Sony multi-region BDPs. I was just telling you some of the stuff the fluffy reviews don't. You need to decide what you want to do. The thing is, the S1700 (lowest model) does all I really want to do, which is play 2D region B BDs. I have all sorts of IMO "better" devices for most other things.

I decided though to get a higher model that will do the odd thing that none of my other BD players will do, for an extra $90 all-in. Maybe I'll use those features... Check out the Panasonics and LGs too. At the time, the Sonys just seemed the better choice for me, no Pioneers available and limited Pannies.
Does this unit play R2 PAL DVDs as well?
Old 03-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #87

Jun 2011
Toronto area, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMafia View Post
Does this unit play R2 PAL DVDs as well?
Yes. All regions of BDs and DVDs.

There are many much cheaper options for playing R2 DVDs though, if that's really all you want to do, it's the playing of BDs from all regions that is the harder-to-get feature.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals