Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Baby Driver 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Breakfast Club (Blu-ray)
$28.35
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Mummy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Your Name (Blu-ray)
$61.49
Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
John Wick: Chapter 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Arrival 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
It 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Pretty Woman (Blu-ray)
$5.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals

Old 03-29-2017, 03:46 AM   #41
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Baz View Post
Yeppers. Out of frustration, I e-mailed them asking WTF was going on hoping to get a courtesy customer service credit or something.
Nothing. Here is what they responded:

"Hi,

Unfortunately, our website does not have a distribution center located in Canada. As a result, all orders we ship must cross the border, and some end up with additional duties, taxes, and other related charges.

I have read online that there is a way to "self-clear" UPS packages with customs, which you may want to investigate, but I am certainly not an expert in this area. As per our FAQ:

For Canadian buyers, import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges where applicable are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your customs office to determine what these potential additional costs will be prior to buying. Please note that some orders to Canada do not ship with order tracking information.
That unlucky. I have ordered a few times from Shout and they have never shipped with UPS with me. Thinking twice about ordering from them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrik View Post
That sucks, sorry it happened to you. Absolutely would kill the savings on an order like that.

It's really odd. I wish there was absolutely a clear-cut answer and what gets charged and what doesn't.

Like I said before in this thread, I've placed huge orders with Shout before, and only once got dinged with import charges (and it was on an order large enough that it didn't negate the savings I got from ordering with them).

I've ordered from SAE entertainment before for a total of $351.95 USD, so WAY over $400 CAD and didn't get charged a single cent for import. Maybe they include something in their shipping charges? I dunno, haven't looked into it.

I just went back into my email to look at the largest order I've ever placed from Shout. It was for 24 films. Only two shipped out separately (Cherry Falls and Death Becomes Her). The other 22 shipped together. The total was $429.13 USD and I specifically remember NOT being hit with any fees when it was delivered...
SAE always undervalues the items for customs. One of the benefits of shopping from them.
My Top 5 Movies of All Time:
1. Forrest Gump
2. Back to the Future Part 1 & Back to the Future Part 2
3. Braveheart
4. Halloween (1978)
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 03-29-2017, 04:37 AM   #42
Special Member

Jul 2011
Montreal, QC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrestedDevelopment View Post
I ordered a handful of blu-rays in the past from the UK amazon site and was only charged customs/duties once. Even then it was only $5-7. Do the charges vary by the shipping company used or is it a rule of thumb where you may have to pay if you purchase is above a certain amount?
Personally I placed at least a couple of hundred orders from abroad over the last few years and I think I paid custom fees at the door twice, once with UPS and once with Canada Post. I also refused maybe 2 packages. With Canada Post, the custom fees are equal to the federal + provincial taxes on the item price, based in Canadian Dollars + a 10 $ fix brokerage fee if the duty fee wasn't paid in advance. According to the law, you should pay duty fees for all items valued at over $20 CDN. From my experience, I have never paid any custom fees with regular Canada Post/USPS/Royal Mail parcels. Also, I constantly receive packages sent in USPS Priority Airmail with the real value marked on it and I never pay any fees with that. I think that only certain USPS/Canada Post services, like international first class are subject to duty fees (or at least they only apply the law to those). If an item is sent with UPS, they automatically charge customs, except for my orders with Barnes & Nobles (maybe because they hide the customs form?).
Most Wanted Titles on blu-ray
Suspiria, The Great Silence, The Passenger, La Strada, Far From Heaven, Freaks, The Circus, Le Samourai, Cléo de 5 à 7, Z, Eden, L'apollonide, Trouble Every Day, Beau Travail, Au Hasard Balthazar, Le boucher, Le fantôme de la liberté, Masculin Féminin, Le petit soldat, Bob le flambeur, Irma Vep, Céline et Julie vont en bateau, La loi de la jungle, La maman et la putain, Andrei Rublev, Soy Cuba, Oslo August 31st, Veronika Voss, The Wind that Shakes the Barley
Old 03-29-2017, 04:43 AM   #43
Contributor

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan77 View Post
Personally I placed at least a couple of hundred orders from abroad over the last few years and I think I paid custom fees at the door twice, once with UPS and once with Canada Post. I also refused maybe 2 packages. With Canada Post, the custom fees are equal to the federal + provincial taxes on the item price, based in Canadian Dollars + a 10 $ fix brokerage fee if the duty fee wasn't paid in advance. According to the law, you should pay duty fees for all items valued at over $20 CDN. From my experience, I have never paid any custom fees with regular Canada Post/USPS/Royal Mail parcels. Also, I constantly receive packages sent in USPS Priority Airmail with the real value marked on it and I never pay any fees with that. I think that only certain USPS/Canada Post services, like international first class are subject to duty fees (or at least they only apply the law to those). If an item is sent with UPS, they automatically charge customs, except for my orders with Barnes & Nobles (maybe because they hide the customs form?).
Barnes and noble collect the tax up front when ur placing the order.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:43 AM   #44
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan77 View Post
Barnes & Nobles charge tax when you check out. That is why you don't have to pay custom fees when buying from them.
My Top 5 Movies of All Time:
1. Forrest Gump
2. Back to the Future Part 1 & Back to the Future Part 2
3. Braveheart
4. Halloween (1978)
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 03-29-2017, 05:45 AM   #45
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

Quote:
Apparently you can go to a CBSA office and clear the package yourself. I'm assuming that you won't have to pay the UPS brokerage fee (which is what accounted for the majority of the cost of my duties).

Lesson learned though. Unless the fees are included in the total upfront like amz, I won't be ordering from this and other similar sites again.
So what you're saying is that you weren't actually charged all that amount by CBSA, but by UPS as part of their "brokerage fees"?
Old 03-29-2017, 06:34 AM   #46
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
The O.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baheidstu View Post
So what you're saying is that you weren't actually charged all that amount by CBSA, but by UPS as part of their "brokerage fees"?
This is part of my invoice:

I'm assuming that the $10 brokerage fee is set by UPS. Then there's the $1.30 tax on the brokerage fee. The $5.83 HST is on the CAD value of $44.83, giving a grand total of $17.13

I don't know what a tariff treatment is. I'm currently reading up on it.

Last edited by ArrestedDevelopment; 03-29-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:36 AM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
The O.C.

So I've found some info on how to self clear your shipments:

http://trueler.com/2010/11/24/self-c...brokerage-fee/
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/way-a...-fees-1175703/

It seems relatively easy. May not be worth the time/effort though if you're only paying $10-20 and you're not close to a CBSA office but if you're importing something of high value it's definitely good to look into. The gist of it is:

1. Refuse delivery and ask at which local warehouse your shipment will be held.
2. Contact UPS to have them email you a shipment/commercial invoice with a USI (unique shipment identifier) number and tracking number.
3. Go to your local CBSA office and provide the invoice and location of shipment, pay the taxes and obtain a B15 form.
4. Provide UPS with your B15 form to waive the brokerage fee and they'll send you your shipment.

Last edited by ArrestedDevelopment; 03-29-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Thanks given by:
baheidstu (03-29-2017), El Baz (03-29-2017), Jakdonark (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #48
Special Member

Feb 2011
Ottawa, Ontario

Quote:
So I've found some info on how to self clear your shipments:

http://trueler.com/2010/11/24/self-c...brokerage-fee/
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/way-a...-fees-1175703/

It seems relatively easy. May not be worth the time/effort though if you're only paying $10-20 and you're not close to a CBSA office but if you're importing something of high value it's definitely good to look into. The gist of it is:

1. Refuse delivery and ask at which local warehouse your shipment will be held.
2. Contact UPS to have them email you a shipment/commercial invoice with a USI (unique shipment identifier) number and tracking number.
3. Go to your local CBSA office and provide the invoice and location of shipment, pay the taxes and obtain a B15 form.
4. Provide UPS with your B15 form to waive the brokerage fee and they'll send you your shipment.
Thanks for the info.

Guess I will suck it up as it seems like a lot of work for $14.
Plus one of the movies I ordered is a rare oddity I can't seem to find anywhere.

Last edited by El Baz; 03-29-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:06 PM   #49
Special Member

Jan 2013
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeze View Post
SAE always undervalues the items for customs. One of the benefits of shopping from them.
I didn't know this. I've always been hesitant to order from them. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2017, 12:27 PM   #50

Oct 2009
Montréal, QC

I will never order from any US store that ships via UPS/FedEx/DHL, they are all crooks. I once got charged $17 by DHL on an exchange for a defective product. I also once got charged nearly $70 by UPS for an $11 eBay purchase.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:21 PM   #51
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

I never ship via UPS for this very reason.

Every shipper charges their own fee for brokerage. I think UPS is the highest. It is a fixed fee of what used to be $35.00 or something ridiculous like that.

This is aside from the duties (taxes) that Canada customs charges.

UPS is just bad news. I never use them. One time they dropped off my package and forgot to charge me before dropping it off.

They started calling me asking for $2.00 or something like that and I never returned their call.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:27 PM   #52
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
The O.C.

I asked Shout if it was possible to have my remaining order ship with another company and they said no. They said that the 4 of my products are shipping from their primary warehouse via USPS and 2 from their secondary warehouse via UPS. I'm assuming that I'll definitely get hit on customs again with UPS but hopefully I'll have better luck with USPS.

Edit: I ended up cancelling the 2 blu-rays shipping via UPS. Hopefully I don't get dinged by USPS.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:32 PM   #53
Contributor

Aug 2011

i'm surprised they would use ups shipping considering were getting free shipping and ups even ground surely would cost them more money then USPS first class.

i hate when stores think there doing us a favor by shipping it ups like oh u will get it faster. but then u have to bend over and get raped by ups for there stupid fees.

fedex is probly even more ass hats then ups at least ups tell u at the door hey u owe this u want to send it back or not. fedex just hand u the package like u owe nothing then bam a month later a bill shows up in the mail.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:35 PM   #54
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
The O.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron158 View Post
i'm surprised they would use ups shipping considering were getting free shipping and ups even ground surely would cost them more money then USPS first class.

i hate when stores think there doing us a favor by shipping it ups like oh u will get it faster. but then u have to bend over and get raped by ups for there stupid fees.
They said that their secondary warehouse ships its Canadian orders only via UPS.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:14 PM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

Quote:

fedex is probly even more ass hats then ups at least ups tell u at the door hey u owe this u want to send it back or not. fedex just hand u the package like u owe nothing then bam a month later a bill shows up in the mail.
It's just one of those scams companies have got going to take advantage of the boom in online shopping. Ebay is another one with their Global Shipping Program. They charge a bunch of money for brokerage fees under the guise of covering any duty charges that customs might levy for importing, completely ignoring the fact that most of the time you won't get dinged and if you do it's far less than what these guys are charging. Of course, the average schmuck doesn't know any better and plays along.

I e-mailed Shout about my order which is all pre-orders of titles coming out in May and June. They indicated that it's all coming from their primary warehouse and should be coming via USPS.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:19 PM   #56
Special Member

Feb 2011
Ottawa, Ontario

Ok. A truly bizarre series of events here.
My original order were for the following movies:

Robocop 2
Robocop 3
Velvet Vampire
Lifeforce

I received two separate shipping notices by e-mail. Robocop 2&3 + posters and Velvet Vampire were shipped via USPS and Lifeforce by UPS.

Today I just received in the mailbox, Robocop 2&3, posters and Velvet Vampire.
So...the UPS tag they have been leaving at my door every day is for..one movie. Lifeforce. Priced at $16 US and UPS COD is charging a brokerage fee of $14.09.

Should I bother? If I don't pick it up, they will return to sender and they will credit my account, correct?

Honestly didn't care much for Lifeforce. I just put it in my order as a filler.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:39 PM   #57
Contributor

Aug 2011

Quote:

Robocop 2
Robocop 3
Velvet Vampire
Lifeforce

I received two separate shipping notices by e-mail. Robocop 2&3 + posters and Velvet Vampire were shipped via USPS and Lifeforce by UPS.

So...the UPS tag they have been leaving at my door every day is for..one movie. Lifeforce. Priced at $16 US and UPS COD is charging a brokerage fee of $14.09.

Should I bother? If I don't pick it up, they will return to sender and they will credit my account, correct?

if it was me id refuse it. u will get a refund when it gets back to them. if to many people refuse packages that are shipped by ups and contact shout and let them know that is the reason u refused it maybe they will think twice before shipping packages to canada by ups.
Thanks given by:
El Baz (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 09:42 PM   #58
Contributor

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by baheidstu View Post
It's just one of those scams companies have got going to take advantage of the boom in online shopping. Ebay is another one with their Global Shipping Program. They charge a bunch of money for brokerage fees under the guise of covering any duty charges that customs might levy for importing, completely ignoring the fact that most of the time you won't get dinged and if you do it's far less than what these guys are charging. Of course, the average schmuck doesn't know any better and plays along.

I e-mailed Shout about my order which is all pre-orders of titles coming out in May and June. They indicated that it's all coming from their primary warehouse and should be coming via USPS.
i hate the gsp i wont buy off ebay unless the seller will ship the item direct by usps first class.
Thanks given by:
baheidstu (03-29-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 12:43 AM   #59

Oct 2009
Montréal, QC

Quote:

Robocop 2
Robocop 3
Velvet Vampire
Lifeforce

That seems about right for UPS.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:59 AM   #60
Special Member

Feb 2011
Ottawa, Ontario

Quote:
if it was me id refuse it. u will get a refund when it gets back to them. if to many people refuse packages that are shipped by ups and contact shout and let them know that is the reason u refused it maybe they will think twice before shipping packages to canada by ups.
Yup. I won't bother picking it up and wait for my credit.
$14 brokerage fee for a $16 movie. lol! No thanks
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals