Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals

Old 06-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-
Default Salvation Army Deals

Well this may not be for everyone, but I forgot to post earlier this week that the Salvation Army is having a 50% off deal yesterday and today on all their DVDs and Blu-rays.

It looks to be nationwide. It's on the front page of every province link from the main site:

https://www.thriftstore.ca/

Picked up a few things this morning. The only Blu I bought was BOARDWALK EMPIRE S1 for $4.00. Never seen this show, but I thought it would be a good blind buy.

Everything is second-hand, but I've never had a problem with any Blus. However, you should always check the insides to make sure the discs are there because a lot of people rip them off in the store.

They do have a fair number of unopened movies. I guess a lot of people buy and don't get around to opening them too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00000IMG_00000_BURST20170610122907_COVER.jpg (92.5 KB, 77 views)
Thanks given by:
jcaste (06-12-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Toronto, Canada

I have that Little Mermaid VHS. Isn't that one with the "phallic" cover supposed to be worth some coin? haha
Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO141FD Owner
LG OLED65E6P Owner

My Flickr
Old 06-11-2017, 02:20 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Yes, that's the phallic cover one.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:31 PM   #4

Oct 2009

Boardwalk Empire is a great series. Nice find.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:13 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2009
The O.C.

It's sad that we even have this thread lmao. Speaks volumes about how bad retail is in Canada.
Thanks given by:
HD Canuck (06-13-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 07:18 AM   #6

Apr 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrestedDevelopment View Post
It's sad that we even have this thread lmao. Speaks volumes about how bad retail is in Canada.
Well I kind of disagree with that statement.

If you're familiar with Cinema Sickness, he built an enormous Media collection by going to Thrift Shops/Garage Sales/Swap Meets and finding some gems for fractions of the retails prices.

I was kind of suprised their wasn't a thread like this already created with members posting their finds and giving the heads up on what was available at the store they went.

On top of that, the money you spend in either Goodwill, Salvation Army or Value Village, a portion and sometimes more than 90% of the revenues from the sales they make are being given to charities all over Canada.

I go to Value Village once every 2 weeks, I drop off old clothes/dvd's/CD's/books on a regular basis, some of these stores will give you rebates on purchases if you bring in stuff for them to resell.

Also, retail isn't that bad in Canada, we might not have as much available as the US has but being that they're like 10 times bigger than us in population means that companies could offer better prices considering their larger population. But we over-spend a lot, we (the BR.com people) are part of those over-spenders in today's standards, when you could get the same movies/CD's/books for fractions of what we pay for them, but we like what we do, it's our own choices (well the girlfriend hates the movie collection, but at least she likes me enough to get over all the room it takes )

What's bad in Canada is the monopoly's that drive a lot of the market. For us in Quebec, Alcohol is regulated by the SAQ ''A government corporation whose mandate is to sell alcoholic beverages and whose mission is to provide superior service to the Quebec public by offering a broad range of quality products'' A branch of the government sets the price points for alcohol, and it ends up that in Quebec, we pay more than any other provinces while being the provinces that consumes the most, logically economies of scales should apply, but Quebec can't stop milking that cow. Then we have the 3 main Cell Phone/Data provider, they set their own price, which is way higher than in the states. And last but not least, the biggest monopoly in Quebec ... Hydro Quebec, the Quebecois created that company that now steals all of it's clients and the government barely slaps them on the wrist for overcharging because it's their biggest cash cow.

Anyways that was a tangeant and a half , all in all, i'm all for people finding deals where ever they want, personnaly it's kind of a treasure hunt, sometimes you can find 1-2 blu-rays for 2-3$ or you could find something that OOP. I've found 3 Criterion releases in the past year at the Value Village in the West Island (Dollard Des Ormeaux) and I even sold one for 10 times the price I paid for it, that money eventually paid for those overpriced Steelbooks that Best Buy sells.

I should just said ''A good deal is hard to pass'' !!!

Post more finds here !!
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good." - Gordon Gekko

Blu-Rays : 2022 and Growing (Needs updating)
DVDs : 997

Last edited by jcaste; 06-12-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Thanks given by:
GreatGreg (06-13-2017), Jakdonark (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 07:14 PM   #7
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Toronto area, Canada

I had no idea they sold discs. I very much support them, but only with donations, have never even seen one of their stores, not even sure I knew they still existed...been living in the burbs a long time, recall seeing their shops in Toronto when I lived there a long time ago. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:01 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2009
The O.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaste View Post
Well I kind of disagree with that statement.

If you're familiar with Cinema Sickness, he built an enormous Media collection by going to Thrift Shops/Garage Sales/Swap Meets and finding some gems for fractions of the retails prices.

I was kind of suprised their wasn't a thread like this already created with members posting their finds and giving the heads up on what was available at the store they went.

On top of that, the money you spend in either Goodwill, Salvation Army or Value Village, a portion and sometimes more than 90% of the revenues from the sales they make are being given to charities all over Canada.

I go to Value Village once every 2 weeks, I drop off old clothes/dvd's/CD's/books on a regular basis, some of these stores will give you rebates on purchases if you bring in stuff for them to resell.

Also, retail isn't that bad in Canada, we might not have as much available as the US has but being that they're like 10 times bigger than us in population means that companies could offer better prices considering their larger population. But we over-spend a lot, we (the BR.com people) are part of those over-spenders in today's standards, when you could get the same movies/CD's/books for fractions of what we pay for them, but we like what we do, it's our own choices (well the girlfriend hates the movie collection, but at least she likes me enough to get over all the room it takes )

What's bad in Canada is the monopoly's that drive a lot of the market. For us in Quebec, Alcohol is regulated by the SAQ ''A government corporation whose mandate is to sell alcoholic beverages and whose mission is to provide superior service to the Quebec public by offering a broad range of quality products'' A branch of the government sets the price points for alcohol, and it ends up that in Quebec, we pay more than any other provinces while being the provinces that consumes the most, logically economies of scales should apply, but Quebec can't stop milking that cow. Then we have the 3 main Cell Phone/Data provider, they set their own price, which is way higher than in the states. And last but not least, the biggest monopoly in Quebec ... Hydro Quebec, the Quebecois created that company that now steals all of it's clients and the government barely slaps them on the wrist for overcharging because it's their biggest cash cow.

Anyways that was a tangeant and a half , all in all, i'm all for people finding deals where ever they want, personnaly it's kind of a treasure hunt, sometimes you can find 1-2 blu-rays for 2-3$ or you could find something that OOP. I've found 3 Criterion releases in the past year at the Value Village in the West Island (Dollard Des Ormeaux) and I even sold one for 10 times the price I paid for it, that money eventually paid for those overpriced Steelbooks that Best Buy sells.

I should just said ''A good deal is hard to pass'' !!!

Post more finds here !!
Nice post. I concede defeat lol.
Thanks given by:
jcaste (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 12:36 AM   #9
Power Member

Nov 2010
Kirksville, Missouri

I've given the SA quite a few discs over the years. Mostly used stuff that I upgrade. Now that Hastings is gone, there's no where to sell them back.

Funny thing is, the SA never used to sell R-rated movies, but the other day I saw Slumber Party Massacre on VHS. My how times change.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:22 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

So for me, it is more about finding more places to buy movies and the cheaper the better.

True, some people don't buy used, but sometimes you can find real gems in used inventory because -- well someone thought it was good enough to buy it before!

Also, there are a good portion (maybe 20%) of discs which are still brand new.

Salvation Army and Value Village have been a little secret for me for the past few years. I've grown my DVD and BD collection considerably by going to out-of-town stores.

Most importantly, they are typically around $2.99 for DVDs and $4.99 for BDs. If you add discounts, they are typically either 30% off or occasionally 50% off which is way cheaper than the more organized shops like The Beat Goes On, Audiovideo Centre, or Legends.

At Legends, you are paying $7.00 for an average DVD, but the advantage there is that they are sorted and typically in better condition.

At SA or VV, it maybe $1.00-2.00 each with discounts which brings a lot of movies under the blind buy threshold for me.

Besides, there is the thrill of the hunt! I think that is the biggest attraction.

Secondly, there is the charity aspect, and also preventing a lot of these OOP discs from ending up in the landfill.
Thanks given by:
jcaste (06-13-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals