Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Insurgent 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Strike Back: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Insurgent (Blu-ray)
$17.99
How to Train Your Dragon (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$14.90
Home 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Mad Max: Fury Road 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Far from the Madding Crowd (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Mulholland Drive (Blu-ray)
$27.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-07-2015, 04:29 AM   #1041

Oct 2011

So they are just getting individual releases to be clear.

I'm really hoping for a eccleston-tentant boxset to be next to my smith boxset, maybe they'll release one much later in the year. If not, at least a 1080p version of the specials just for consistency's sake.

Looking at a sample clip from an upscaled episode from the bluray, seems like the blurays are certainly the best the SD episodes of the show can look for now.

At the least, I can still watch the show right now on prime in iffy streaming quality.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:46 AM   #1042

Mar 2012
Boulder

Anyone know what the holdup is on releasing the individual series on Blu-ray?
Old 06-04-2015, 04:51 AM   #1043
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by f451 View Post
Anyone know what the holdup is on releasing the individual series on Blu-ray?
Lack of consumer interest I would guess. Australia got them individually I think, if you want to import.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:56 AM   #1044

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Lack of consumer interest I would guess. Australia got them individually I think, if you want to import.
Yeah they are available individually here. Pretty expensive though about about $60 a pop. They are available from JB Hi Fi.
“I Am Iron Man” - Tony Stark
Old 06-04-2015, 10:58 PM   #1045
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Quote:
How do they know there is a lack of consumer interest if they haven't made the available?

I mean they already have done the work... and made packaging for them... all they have to do is make them available to order. Unless and until they do that, they have no idea what consumer interest might be.

IF they don't get enough orders to make it worthwhile, and then cancel a release... that would be understandable. As far as I know, that hasn't happened.

And releasing a limited set, means they are the ones who limited how many get sold... not consumer interest.
Me am not on Blu-ray forum.
Where I go when I'm not here!
Old 06-04-2015, 11:00 PM   #1046

Sep 2014
Greensboro NC

Quote:
maybe at whatever stupid price they'd charge for them. Bestbuy charges like $60 for one season on DVD.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:04 PM   #1047
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfountain View Post
maybe at whatever stupid price they'd charge for them. Bestbuy charges like $60 for one season on DVD.
The Blu-ray sets do go on sale at Best Buy from time to time when they have a BBC sale, and they are a fraction of that price.

I missed out on the limited edition set, mainly because I didn't want to pay the extremely high price all at once. There's no reason why they can't release these individually given that they already released everything starting with the Matt Smith years individually before they remastered everything. This being Doctor Who means it already has built-in consumer interest.
Last Watched: Unforgiven | High Plains Drifter
Last Bought: The Cell
PSN ID: KilloWertz
"Chuck me" 9/24/07 - 1/27/12
Old 06-04-2015, 11:57 PM   #1048
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Western Kentucky

The fact that there's been no recent word on releasing the sets individually makes me glad I splurged when I did and got the full box set...
#1 WEE MAN FAN
Movie Collection (FilmAf) | Music Collection (Discogs; still in progress) | Facebook
1000 Blu-Rays as of 11/09/13: John Cassavetes: Five Films: Criterion Collection
1700 Blu-Rays as of 5/18/15: The Long Good Friday/Mona Lisa: Arrow Limited Edition
Old 06-05-2015, 04:23 AM   #1049
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe View Post
How do they know there is a lack of consumer interest if they haven't made the available?
TV on BD sales are pretty low across the board, and many would likely be turned off by the fact they're SD upscales. I don't really blame them for questioning how big a market there is for such a thing, at prices that would make it worthwhile to them.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:57 AM   #1050

Mar 2012
Boulder

The big box set sold like hotcakes. I tried ordering one through B&N but was turned down because there were 'none in the warehouse'.

The Australian releases are currently 'on backorder' -- no stock to be had.

What's a Who fan to do -- outside of streaming options? Gosh darn.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:02 AM   #1051
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by f451 View Post
What's a Who fan to do -- outside of streaming options? Gosh darn.
Watch the DVDs on a good upscaling player and know it looks 99% the same?
Old 06-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #1052

Feb 2010

Were there ever any screenshot comparisons of the BD and DVD, particularly the PAL DVDs (which I have)?
Old 06-06-2015, 12:59 AM   #1053
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Watch the DVDs on a good upscaling player and know it looks 99% the same?
The early seasons aren't the only individual releases that need to be released. They still need to re-release Series Five, which is randomly M.I.A. while all of Matt Smith's other seasons are out there, remastered and all.

As somebody else has said, there's no reason not to just release the remastered editions of the individual seasons that aren't already out there. They were already produced, packaging and all for the Limited Edition set. I would love nothing more than to finally own Doctor Who on Blu-ray, but there was no way in hell I was spending anywhere between $300 and $400 for it all at once. I guess they don't want my money.
Last Watched: Unforgiven | High Plains Drifter
Last Bought: The Cell
PSN ID: KilloWertz
"Chuck me" 9/24/07 - 1/27/12
Old 06-06-2015, 01:28 AM   #1054
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Quote:
TV on BD sales are pretty low across the board, and many would likely be turned off by the fact they're SD upscales. I don't really blame them for questioning how big a market there is for such a thing, at prices that would make it worthwhile to them.
If we were talking about creating something new... I'd be with you... but they already did the work on these AND designed them with individual-series packaging already. Inside that 7-series set was individual packages for each series... so they don't have to do any new development or sourcing.

All they have to do is open up to accept orders on the individual sets and see how many they get. There's almost zero cost to do that and see if they get enough orders. It just doesn't make sense not to allow people to order and see... and then if the orders are low, they would know for sure and not have to go forward with it.
Me am not on Blu-ray forum.
Where I go when I'm not here!
Old 06-06-2015, 02:45 AM   #1055
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
The early seasons aren't the only individual releases that need to be released. They still need to re-release Series Five, which is randomly M.I.A. while all of Matt Smith's other seasons are out there, remastered and all.
I doubt the subtle improvements from 1080p really make up for the slowdown. It's super irritating seasons 7 and 8 are only available slowed down IMO. I would take 1080i over slowdown any day, because seasons 5 and 6 look great IMO.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:15 AM   #1056
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2014

They shoudl just do an Eccleston/Tennant box set in the same style as the Smith one. I have no need for unmatching sets.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:36 PM   #1057

Mar 2012
Boulder

Looks like they're back in stock in Australia -- at JB Hi-Fi -- but the description reads Region B & PAL ...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
box set, doctor who, gift set, limited edition, sci-fi