COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Okami-San & Her Seven Companions: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Ministry of Fear (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dream Theater: Breaking the Fourth Wall (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Archer: The Complete Season Three (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Devil Is a Part-Timer! Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$40.18
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Great Expectations (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ace in the Hole (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Royal Tenenbaums (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 12-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #61
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2010
Rockford, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatediesel View Post
Does anyone know why Safe & Sound from The Hunger Games isn't eligible for an Academy Award? It wasn't on the list of 75 eligible nominees in the link posted earlier.
Perhaps it appeared on the artists' album prior to its use in the film? I dont know.
The Official Movie Money/Movie Cash/Free Ticket Thread - first post always updated with all current promotions!

Don't use your UV/digital copy codes? Send them my way! I'll give them a good home!
:)
Old 12-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #62
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatediesel View Post
Does anyone know why Safe & Sound from The Hunger Games isn't eligible for an Academy Award? It wasn't on the list of 75 eligible nominees in the link posted earlier.
I think it is because it does not appear soon enough in the end credits (I dunno if it even appears in the credits at all and I would never wanna find out). The Arcade Fire's excellent "Abraham's Daughter" is the end credits song that plays right as the film closes. That is what will be nominated if a song is nominated from that movie. I may be wrong but I do believe this is the case. Or it could be that the Swift song (and everything other Swift song) is just terrible.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #63
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2010
Rockford, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_sc77 View Post
I think it is because it does not appear soon enough in the end credits (I dunno if it even appears in the credits at all and I would never wanna find out). The Arcade Fire's excellent "Abraham's Daughter" is the end credits song that plays right as the film closes. That is what will be nominated if a song is nominated from that movie. I may be wrong but I do believe this is the case. Or it could be that the Swift song (and everything other Swift song) is just terrible.
Ill take any Swift song over Arcade Fire any day.
The Official Movie Money/Movie Cash/Free Ticket Thread - first post always updated with all current promotions!

Don't use your UV/digital copy codes? Send them my way! I'll give them a good home!
Old 12-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #64
Blu-ray Baron

Nov 2007
Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_sc77 View Post
It plays second in the end credits, and since some movies like Django Unchained have four songs eligible I wouldn't think it's because it doesn't appear early enough in the end credits. I'm not defending the song or saying it should win, I was just looking through the list and saw that Abraham's Daughter was the only Hunger Games song on the list and I was curious why.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #65
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Franklin, WI
Send a message via AIM to Britnasty

Safe & Sound is not eligible because it is INDEED 2nd in the credits. Academy rules stipulate it has to be used DURING the film or the first song played in the credits.

3 of Django's songs play during the film and one as the credits song.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #66
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Aug 2011
(Currently Bangor, PA) But One Day Hopefully Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britnasty View Post
Safe & Sound is not eligible because it is INDEED 2nd in the credits. Academy rules stipulate it has to be used DURING the film or the first song played in the credits.

3 of Django's songs play during the film and one as the credits song.
That's a bit of a stupid rule. But alot of these award shows are stupid in general.
I have a horror script I wrote called "Truth Or Dare" It's very Scream like influenced. If interested in reading it. Please PM me.
My Blu rays for sale Thread

"Sooner or later, I'll do something with my life. And make my mark. But until then, whatever I do is not a waste of time it's all building towards something"
Old 12-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #67
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
In the back, off the side, far away

Hellen Mirren was fantastic in Hitchcock, stole the show I.M.O.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #68
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2010
Rockford, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bay Fan View Post
That's a bit of a stupid rule. But alot of these award shows are stupid in general.
The only thing stupid about the rule is that it should also rule out the FIRST song played in the credits. If the song isn't played DURING the movie, it shouldn't be eligible (Though I'd be ok wih songs used in OPENING credits). Otherwise it's just studios tacking them onto credits for the sole purpose of awards.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #69
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britnasty View Post
I did not know they axed that rule as a lot of dumb people on a certain other film forum were also saying it wouldn't be eligible because of the sampling rule.
Ask them why Howard Shore won for Return of the King, but wasn't nominated for The Two Towers. That ought to shut them up for a while.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #70
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemaphile View Post
The only thing stupid about the rule is that it should also rule out the FIRST song played in the credits. If the song isn't played DURING the movie, it shouldn't be eligible (Though I'd be ok wih songs used in OPENING credits). Otherwise it's just studios tacking them onto credits for the sole purpose of awards.
No way/. I think that the Song that leads into or starts the main credits is extremely important. Can make a huge impression on the film for me. Whether it is an original song ("Into the west" from Return of the King ; "Miss Misery" from Good Will Hunting, "Save Me" from Magnolia) or a song licensed for film use ("SOmething in the Air" From Memento; "Analyze" from the Prestige; "Queen *****" from The Life Aquatic.., etc.) a well placed song at the beginning of the end credits can be amongst the most powerful and exciting moments in a great film. Abrahams Daughter playing at the end is honestly my favorite part of the Hunger Games.

In any case I am extremely relieved that Taylor Swift (Who I abhor, and loathe more than any musician who has ever lived) will not be eligible for what few seconds I have heard of it is yet another musical abomination. I dunno if Arcade fire will get nominated for their song or not But I do think it is deserving. I dont like Adele's music either but I have to somewhat grudgingly admit that her song works very well in that awesome credit sequence in Skyfall and fully believe it will win.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:06 AM   #71
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
RE: Pirates, I wonder if people are confusing it with the VeggieTales Pirate movie...
No, it was that Pirates was...not really that good. Especially by Aardman standards, which was a bit of a shock.
(The humor was way too scattershot, clever-clever and schoolyard-spirited, and not the engaging Britcom bit of Flushed Away some of us Aardman fans had been hoping it would be from the previews.)

It was arguably funnier than Hotel Transylvania--in the respect that anything is funnier than Sandler--but HT had the bigger studio push, and seasonal box office draw to amaze clueless West coast folk easily awed by such things.

Quote:
Eric, the Oscars are heavily influenced by publicist campaigns, Harvey Weinstein is a master at this. Sucks, but true.
Yes, but my point was, this is an award BY publicists, FOR publicists, ABOUT publicists--And I don't mean that abstractly or metaphorically, I mean that literally. The Oscars are, to their credit, not even By, since they have actors and cameramen voting on them.
There's Oscar FYC campaigns--which Harv hangs his very soul and existence on every year--and then there's just being a danged gullible zombie that believes every single "buzz" rumor sent to Entertainment Tonight, and then taking them as established fact: The Oscars are occasional victims to the former, and the Globes are painfully the latter.

Which is why I keep describing the Globes as "Collected Rumors Annual 2012 lists", and not actual nominations--A Weinstein publicist can say "My Week with Marilyn is a surefire Best Actress!", and the Oscars will say "We'll think about it..." With the Globes, however, you can, for example, say "Moonrise Kingdom is a surefire Best Picture!", and guess what will happen.
(That's one of the reasons I've hated the last few years' eight-ten Oscar nominations, with gullible easily-impressed fan-rumor "filler" titles like Inglorious Basterds or District 9 making the cut: They look exactly like Globe nominations, which was the idea the Oscars had in mind at the time. They're publicly starting to regret it.)

Last edited by EricJ; 12-15-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #72
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

I know, but if the Globes are the publicists awards, and the Oscars are heavily influenced by the public campaigns...see where I'm going?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #73
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
I know, but if the Globes are the publicists awards, and the Oscars are heavily influenced by the public campaigns...see where I'm going?
Well, think I've said numerous times that ever since 2003 (that's why people keep saying Return of the King was the last "good" Best Picture), when they tried to "revise" the rules, and shorten the voting process by a month to shut the danged Weinsteins up, stop the mailings and keep the dopey Miramax Oscar-bait publicist titles of the discussion, it ended up backfiring spectacularly:
Now the already busy voters don't have enough time to screen disks or let opinions cool on overly talked about flashes in pans, so what do they now do? Why, the same thing WE do every November when we can't think of five nominees, let alone ten: "Hey, I heard Django was supposed to get it! And Life of Pi got a lot of Golden Globes!"
After all, they're just regular folks like we are. (And what studio usually has the titles we guess at? )

The purpose of the Oscars is to shame our poor clueless guesses, and the Globes', not publish and legitimize them.

Last edited by EricJ; 12-15-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #74
Blu-ray Champion

May 2010
NYC

Big snub... Michael Caine, he should of got in over Alan Arkin.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies