Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Cyber Monday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Star Trek Into Darkness 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Jurassic Park Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Top Gun 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$22.00
X-Men: Days of Future Past 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Glee: The 3D Concert Movie (Blu-ray)
$22.99
A Christmas Carol 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Mad Max: Fury Road 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Dredd 3D (Blu-ray)
$4.96
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Under the Sea 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.90
Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.49
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2015, 08:07 PM   #301
mertz523 mertz523 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
mertz523's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
In a snowglobe (with no snow yet)
506
50
198
381
184
Default

Came with a slip!!
It's called a DPCI. Every time you say it wrong, each of the following happens at a Terrget store somewhere:
A spider wrap gets constricted tighter, a slipcover is crushed in a clamshell, and a steelbook gets slashed by a box cutter.

Shiny Metal Things for Sale
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:20 PM   #302
YouGotMeFeelingBlu YouGotMeFeelingBlu is offline
Senior Member
 
YouGotMeFeelingBlu's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Elk Grove, California
1020
5
Default

Had a $5 Reward Zone certificate and decided to do an In Store Pickup from my local Best Buy (their website said it was available). I put in my order, and then got an email about ten minutes later saying it wasn't available, and now my store isn't on the list of available stores in my area. Could someone have really beaten me to it that fast?
"Baby...you're pear-shaped."-Sterling Archer
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:00 PM   #303
Paul H Paul H is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouGotMeFeelingBlu View Post
Had a $5 Reward Zone certificate and decided to do an In Store Pickup from my local Best Buy (their website said it was available). I put in my order, and then got an email about ten minutes later saying it wasn't available, and now my store isn't on the list of available stores in my area. Could someone have really beaten me to it that fast?
Had the same experience on a different title but still found it "in stock" at my local Bestbuy. Went to customer service with a copy of my original online order and they honored the price.
Avatar: IMAX Header
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #304
cheez avenger cheez avenger is offline
Special Member
 
cheez avenger's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
633
9
Default

This will arrive on Wednesday for me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:30 PM   #305
stantoine stantoine is offline
Expert Member
 
stantoine's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
California
2976
1
Default Mine arrived a few days ago

Watched it last night. Totally enjoyed it.

I'm spending way more at BB these days they really are driving the 3D prices down to where they need to be for the format to survive.

$30 is a category killer.

$15 is great

$12.99 is a sweet spot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:12 PM   #306
UFAlien UFAlien is offline
Power Member
 
UFAlien's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
137
11
19
Default

I picked this up at BB as well and quite enjoyed it. The restoration team did an excellent job getting things aligned properly so there are no glaring misalignment issues like in a lot of older 3D movies.

It was kind of jarring to see how, in a few shots, the interaxial distance was adjusted on the fly in mid-scene. It's not a smooth adjustment; it tends to "snap" fairly quickly from one setting to the other. There's also one very long shot that is in 2D and several awkward shots of people standing in front of projected flat backgrounds, but overall, the 3D was quite good.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:20 PM   #307
applemac applemac is offline
Special Member
 
applemac's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
950
15
Default

Great price currently for a great Hitchcock restoration. Other than the shots that are flat due to hitchcocks love for rear projection, the 3D is used very well.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
GKintz (12-29-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 05:07 PM   #308
Richard--W Richard--W is offline
Senior Member
 
Richard--W's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
I picked this up at BB as well and quite enjoyed it. The restoration team did an excellent job getting things aligned properly so there are no glaring misalignment issues like in a lot of older 3D movies.

It was kind of jarring to see how, in a few shots, the interaxial distance was adjusted on the fly in mid-scene. It's not a smooth adjustment; it tends to "snap" fairly quickly from one setting to the other. There's also one very long shot that is in 2D and several awkward shots of people standing in front of projected flat backgrounds, but overall, the 3D was quite good.
In which shots are the interaxial distance was adjusted on the fly in mid-scene? Use the time lapse function on your remote so that we can all go to that exact spot and see the same thing. Many thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:44 PM   #309
xxnomad xxnomad is offline
Senior Member
 
Jul 2014
1090
17
10
Default

VERY SOLID price today at Amazon. Just ordered. Hopefully it's legit.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bavanut (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 09:18 PM   #310
bavanut bavanut is offline
Active Member
 
bavanut's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Burbank, California
1
Default

We should all consider picking up a few extra copies, if we can. Dial "M" would make a terrific stocking-stuffer this holiday season for friends and family with only a casual interest or vague awareness of vintage 3-D. Might actually win a convert or two. :-)
Mike Ballew
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:07 PM   #311
Biss Skyler Bluray Biss Skyler Bluray is offline
Senior Member
 
Dec 2013
961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavanut View Post
We should all consider picking up a few extra copies, if we can. Dial "M" would make a terrific stocking-stuffer this holiday season for friends and family with only a casual interest or vague awareness of vintage 3-D. Might actually win a convert or two. :-)
good idea, the 3d is truly worth it, it's mostly all about depth, two very good pop out moments as well, the 3d really sucks you into the film.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #312
cinerama cinerama is offline
Senior Member
 
cinerama's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biss Skyler Bluray View Post
good idea, the 3d is truly worth it, it's mostly all about depth, two very good pop out moments as well, the 3d really sucks you into the film.
Three if you count the opening titles.
Cinerama web site:
http://incinerama.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:51 AM   #313
Zivouhr Zivouhr is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Zivouhr's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
USA
117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
I picked this up at BB as well and quite enjoyed it. The restoration team did an excellent job getting things aligned properly so there are no glaring misalignment issues like in a lot of older 3D movies.

It was kind of jarring to see how, in a few shots, the interaxial distance was adjusted on the fly in mid-scene. It's not a smooth adjustment; it tends to "snap" fairly quickly from one setting to the other. There's also one very long shot that is in 2D and several awkward shots of people standing in front of projected flat backgrounds, but overall, the 3D was quite good.
Definitely a challenging thing to accomplish in live action, though in a CGI film with a virtual 3D camera, it's much easier, as keyframes can bet set along with the animation curve to determine how smooth in/out the change will take place, or if it'll be linear.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:36 AM   #314
bavanut bavanut is offline
Active Member
 
bavanut's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Burbank, California
1
Default

Just to be clear, Zivouhr, I think there's a miscommunication happening here. While the camera rig employed by Warner Bros. on Dial "M" was indeed capable of variable interaxial, the I/A could not be reset on-the-fly, during actual shooting. I hope UFAlien will not mind if I suggest that he really means they pulled convergence during a shot-- that is, changed the convergence (point of zero parallax) from point "A" to point "B" while the cameras were rolling. This was actually not uncommon in 3-D films of the 1950s. It could probably be spotted easily if one were looking for it, but I too would welcome a specific time code on the disk to see the moment UFAlien has in mind.

Having said all that, though, I welcome your insight into the technique as applied to CGI. This is very interesting.
Mike Ballew
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 09:04 PM   #315
UFAlien UFAlien is offline
Power Member
 
UFAlien's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
137
11
19
Default

That sounds about right Mike. Sorry for the misstatement.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bavanut (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #316
infiniteCR infiniteCR is offline
Special Member
 
infiniteCR's Avatar
 
Jun 2014
-
-
2
Default

One of the best oldies in 3D. It will probably be the only golden age 3D title I own that gets a second viewing.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bavanut (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 10:07 PM   #317
Zivouhr Zivouhr is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Zivouhr's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
USA
117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavanut View Post
Just to be clear, Zivouhr, I think there's a miscommunication happening here. While the camera rig employed by Warner Bros. on Dial "M" was indeed capable of variable interaxial, the I/A could not be reset on-the-fly, during actual shooting. I hope UFAlien will not mind if I suggest that he really means they pulled convergence during a shot-- that is, changed the convergence (point of zero parallax) from point "A" to point "B" while the cameras were rolling. This was actually not uncommon in 3-D films of the 1950s. It could probably be spotted easily if one were looking for it, but I too would welcome a specific time code on the disk to see the moment UFAlien has in mind.

Having said all that, though, I welcome your insight into the technique as applied to CGI. This is very interesting.
Thanks for the info Mike. That clears it up more.
I was mentioning that if the interaxial distance between the two 3D cameras had to shifted closer together as it gets closer to the subject while the 3D rig moves towards it (to allow for the 3D image to remain strong without going beyond the limit of the eyes if not adjusted), it's easier to accomplish in a computer, though I'm surprised the interaxial setting couldn't be adjusted during live action filming. They probably had it securely set with knobs and a vice lock I'm guessing, so it wasn't loose or wobbly during movement.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bavanut (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 10:32 PM   #318
bavanut bavanut is offline
Active Member
 
bavanut's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Burbank, California
1
Default

Let me clarify: I think shifting the interaxial on the Tondreau rig was a practical impossibility. Theoretically it could have been done, but it would have meant physically shifting one of the two cameras in relation to the other on a worm drive. The only reason to have attempted such a thing was if they had been trying to "get fancy" with a camera move, and I mean real fancy. Given all the difficulties they experienced with that rig--particularly on the set of Hondo--I honestly believe the camera crews using it probably tried to keep everything just as simple and straightforward as possible.

UFAlien, no need to apologize. I don't know all there is to know myself, but iron sharpens iron, as I like to say. Everyone here is learning from each other about this fascinating subject of 3-D, and everyone here is growing stronger in his or her knowledge.
Mike Ballew
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (11-08-2016), Zivouhr (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 11:08 PM   #319
Zivouhr Zivouhr is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Zivouhr's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
USA
117
Lightbulb

Thanks again Mike.

Off topic, though I noticed a lot of filmed 3D movies tend to just stay with a static interaxial distance between the two cameras for most shots, so they'll start off with a flatter looking distance shot, but then by the time the 3D camera rig has zoomed in close to the subject matter, the 3D gets stronger since it has objects close enough in view, to take advantage of the 3D interaxial setting.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bavanut (09-24-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 06:23 AM   #320
OrchidClub OrchidClub is offline
Active Member
 
OrchidClub's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
710
1
Default

I don't think the review on this site is fair because many of the screencaps are from transition shots that are softer than the rest of the film due to the opticals used to fade from one scene to another. The first couple minutes of the film, including the opening credits, look this way but after that the majority of the film looks quite good.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:40 AM.