Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Cat People (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Falling Skies: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99
An American Werewolf in London (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Ultimate Laika Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99
10 Cloverfield Lane (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Herschell Gordon Lewis Feast (Blu-ray)
$159.99
High Noon (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 07-27-2016, 09:52 PM   #22881
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCarpenterLives View Post
Is anyone expecting Hardcore to sell quickly?
I'd say no.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #22882

Jul 2012

I don't know, there has been a lot of love for it in these boards and forums, and on TT's page,too, since it was announced. It doesn't SEEM like one that would sell out, but maybe it will.

I just pre-ordered it. It is a GREAT film. Very gritty, very 70s. George C. Scott, as usual, is phenomenal. His famous "Turn it Off!" scene is now legendary. It's been used for parody so much, I hope people can still take it seriously. It's actually a heartbreaking scene. Season Hubley later would play a hooker again, in "Vice Squad". Peter Boyle shows up,too. Just awesome. Goes pretty damn dark in places,too (Snuff, anyone?). And Schrader's use of Gospel songs in the soundtrack is oh-so-haunting...

I also just pre-ordered "The Most Beautiful Wife", which is an Italian film of the they-don't make-em-like-they-used-to-anymore variety....
Thanks given by:
oildude (07-28-2016), The Great Owl (07-28-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #22883

Jun 2012

Alfredo and Hardcore for me. I just hope TT announces Real Genius on the next go round.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:10 PM   #22884
Special Member

Jul 2012
In the darkest depths of Mordor

Preordered Hardcore and the Tony Rome double.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:22 PM   #22885
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Seacoast New Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCarpenterLives View Post
Is anyone expecting Hardcore to sell quickly?
Not quickly enough to be a problem if you can't swing buying it in the next few months.
"He sits there in his house watching the same stupid movie over and over again."
"Bad taste in films is not a criminal offense."
"Wait till you've seen it."

List of Twilight Time signed promotional titles.
List of Twilight Time Out of Print titles, with dates they went OOP
Old 07-27-2016, 11:23 PM   #22886
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Nothing sells out quickly anymore now that there are regular sales. There's nothing to worry about. Unless they release True Lies or something.
Thanks given by:
ActBreak (08-13-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 11:37 PM   #22887
Expert Member

Oct 2013
The Forbidden Valley of NE Ohio

How things have changed so quickly. It used to be so exciting putting in our orders the second the titles became available. Watching the SAE site go down because we hammered them with orders. Now it has lost most of its luster although I'm still just as happy to get the titles I want. Nothing for me this go around but happy purchasing to those who are getting their flicks.
Thanks given by:
Widescreenfilmguy (07-30-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 11:54 PM   #22888
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2014
Chesapeake, VA

Love that Tony Rome cover!
"There's been an awakening. Have you felt it?"
Old 07-28-2016, 12:02 AM   #22889

Jan 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitchcockLang View Post
I can confirm that my copy of Love and Death came in a blue case.
Same here and I bought it within the last month.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:29 AM   #22890

May 2015

Pre-order in for Tony Rome / Lady in Cement.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:54 AM   #22891

Aug 2015
North Hollywood, CA

Ordered Hardcore, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia and Theatre of Blood. Can't wait!

I set the calendar on my phone to remind me so I could order right when pre-orders went up. This addiction of mine is getting ridiculous. I'll be homeless, but with a kick-ass blu-ray collection!
Thanks given by:
xxnomad (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #22892
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
Portland, OR

Pre-ordered Theater of Blood.

I completely forgot I still had The Dogs of War in my shopping cart at ScreenArchives. I'll hold off on that one for now.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #22893
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphoR View Post
How things have changed so quickly. It used to be so exciting putting in our orders the second the titles became available. Watching the SAE site go down because we hammered them with orders. Now it has lost most of its luster although I'm still just as happy to get the titles I want. Nothing for me this go around but happy purchasing to those who are getting their flicks.
Things have improved now that the signed promos are not on the same day as the pre-orders. People are also realizing that except for some rare titles, which are obvious well in advance, these releases aren't going to sell out any time soon so there's no need to rush to get your order in as soon as 4:00 EST rolls around or fear losing out.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:48 PM   #22894

Oct 2013

EDIT: Never mind. I had forgotten that I paid via PayPal.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:08 PM   #22895
Power Member

Feb 2011

This is going way back, but I finally bought and watched Swamp Water, based largely on recommendations in this thread, and it was just terrific. I don't know what I was expecting, but I was quite impressed.
Thanks given by:
jayembee (07-31-2016), jmclick (08-02-2016), oildude (07-31-2016), schlock (07-31-2016), Widescreenfilmguy (08-03-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 06:22 PM   #22896

Dec 2009
With the Ale and Quail Club on a train to Palm Beach

I am a big fan of Swamp Water. On the surface it is Southern Gothic melodrama that could have leaped off the pages of William Faulkner. Scratch a little deeper and, like the worlds of Faulkner, there is a swirl of themes regarding primitivism, the natural world, man's capacity for evil, and the heart in conflict with itself, all gathered up in the hands of master director Jean Renoir. This was my first Renoir film, a blind buy when it was released by TT, and spurred me to seek out other Renoir works on blu-ray. The remarkable elements in the film include the portrayal of the forbidding and dangerous swamp, as much alive and a driving force in the drama as the main characters themselves.

For those who have not seen Swamp Water, the cross and skull pictured on the Blu-ray cover art is a navigation marker used by the locals to warn them that going past that point deeper into the swamp meant you stood very little chance of finding your way back out. It also serves as an effective metaphor for character transformations in the film. The story centers around a community scratching out a living on the edge of a large inscrutable swamp, a dark "other" in the lives of its inhabitants, and of one individual who dares to venture past the warning marker into the depths in search of his missing dog. What he encounters there changes his life.

Starring one of my favorite classic actors, Dana Andrews, Swamp Water features memorable performances, rich atmospheric cinematography, a well written script, and a keen outsider's eye from Renoir that respectfully records the social structures of a simple backwoods people. Filling the screen with subtle allegory and metaphors that connect the film to his earlier humanistic observations of European society, including the importance of hunting as a binding tie between village families, Renoir shows us that the swamp folk share universal bonds with the world at large. To casually dismiss them for their primitive condition relative to modern 1940s society is to turn the mirror of ignorance back on ourselves. This was Renoir's first film made in the U.S. after relocating from his native France, which was then under German occupation. At a time when the rest of the world was tearing itself apart, the life portrayed in Swamp Water seems the most profoundly intelligent choice of all.

The cinematography on this one is simply gorgeous, with amazing depth of field that pulls the viewer into the watery labyrinths of the Okefenokee Swamp, where exteriors were filmed. You can practically smell the decaying plant life and hear the buzz of the mosquitoes, all in gloriously moody black and white. The Blu-ray PQ is stunning.

Swamp Water falls into that early wave of lost-in-the-vault titles released by Twilight Time that led me to take a closer look at their output and love what I was finding. Following closely on their previous release of Rapture, in bringing us Swamp Water TT pulled another lovely but forgotten rabbit out of the Hollywood hat, one that deserves to be rediscovered for the fine film it is.
Twilight Time Release Schedule Thread

The Samuel Fuller on Blu-ray Thread

"The last time a man opened the door for me, we were going 60 miles an hour" - Christa, Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street (1973)

Last edited by oildude; 07-31-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Thanks given by:
balthazar_bee (07-31-2016), CraigThom (07-31-2016), Davidian (08-01-2016), hoytereden (08-01-2016), jayembee (07-31-2016), jmclick (08-02-2016), krasnoludek (07-31-2016), lemonski (07-31-2016), mbarto (08-01-2016), mja345 (07-31-2016), Page14 (07-31-2016), Reddington (07-31-2016), schlock (07-31-2016), The Great Owl (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 06:46 PM   #22897
Power Member

May 2014
Antarctica

Agreed on SWAMP WATER. Blind bought it (finally) during their last sale and watched it a few weeks ago. I was totally taken aback at how good it was. Highly recommended.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:31 AM   #22898
Expert Member

Oct 2013
The Forbidden Valley of NE Ohio

Swamp Water has one of my favorite Twilight Time covers (even though I don't own it).
Old 08-01-2016, 07:16 AM   #22899
Power Member

Oct 2010
Surrounded by Water

I'm also a fan of Renoir's Hollywood era's The Southerner and even what are considered his lesser efforts like This Land is Mine and Woman On the Beach I like quite a bit.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #22900
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2012
Georgia

Last night, I watched my Twilight Time Blu-ray of Major Dundee.

Major Dundee may be my favorite Sam Peckinpah film that I've seen to date, although I've seen several of his other films that are more highly acclaimed, namely The Wild Bunch, Straw Dogs, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, Convoy, and The Osterman Weekend. I'll have to experience this movie more than once before I make that call for good, but I'll say right off the bat that, in my eyes, this is his most fast-paced and character-rich film.

Charlton Heston plays the title character, Major Amos Charles Dundee, who leads a mixed group of soldiers and prisoners into Mexico to pursue a band of Apaches who have committed brutal massacres in Texas. Dundee's motley crew consists of Union troops, freed Confederate prisoners, African-American troops, ragtag civilians, and native American scouts. It goes without saying that Dundee has a tough enough time keeping these diverse groups focused so that they will not kill one another, and one of the joys of the movie lies in observing how these people come to work together as they venture through hostile territory in pursuit of the Apaches and in flight of the French Army. Richard Harris has a great supporting role as a Confederate captain who was friends with Dundee during their early days in the military before politics and circumstances made them enemies. James Coburn plays a gritty outdoorsman who is in charge of the scouting team. The beautiful Senta Berger plays a woman whose undeniably sensual presence at at Mexican village exacerbates existing tensions between the men. Warren Oates and Ben Johnson also appear in prominent supporting roles. My favorite character, however, is a tough-as-nails minister played by R.G. Armstrong.

Major Dundee was filmed in CinemaScope, and it features some breathtaking widescreen photography of beautiful location scenery. I watched an Extended Version of this movie that restores nearly 15 minutes to the theatrical cut for narrative clarity, but the film still flew by at a lightning pace.

I'll get around to watching the Theatrical Version one of these days, but I find the Extended Version to be a thing of beauty.

This Twilight Time Blu-ray sports superb picture quality, even if most of us are curious to see what a new restoration might bring to the table (I'm not holding my breath for that.). The audio presentation is quite marvelous, and I even had to turn down the volume toward the end during the gunfights.

The audio commentary track is fast-paced and fun, as are most of these tracks that feature Nick Redman.

Last edited by The Great Owl; 08-01-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Thanks given by:
belcherman (08-01-2016), oildude (08-02-2016), Reddington (08-01-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors