Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Interstellar (Blu-ray)
$23.99
5 hrs ago
ESPN Films 30 for 30: Five-Year Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$99.99

Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$5.99

The Equalizer (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$34.49

Secret of the Wings 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Archer: The Complete Season Five (Blu-ray)
$19.99

John Wick (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 hr ago
American Sniper (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Expendables 3 (Blu-ray)
$15.00

As Above So Below (Blu-ray)
$14.99
3 hrs ago
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Blu-ray)
$4.99
22 hrs ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM   #14581

Sep 2009
sunny Florida

With all the talk yesterday in the Criterion thread about Gene Tierney, I realized that the only film of hers that I own on Blu was Laura. So, this morning I ordered (blind buy) TT's Leave Her to Heaven. I believe I passed on the title originally because of the Douglas Sirk comparison in the first sentence of the site's review, as I'm just simply not a fan of Sirk's films. However, yesterday's comments from Great Owl and others made me go back and actually read the full review, and realize that I almost missed out on a solid noir.
My 10 Most Wanted films on R1 Blu-ray: The Killers (Siodmak, 1946), Le Samourai (Melville, 1967), McCabe and Mrs. Miller (Altman, 1971), Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (Peckinpah, 1973), Streets of Fire (Hill, 1984), Barton Fink (Coen, 1991), A Bronx Tale (DeNiro, 1993), Strange Days (Bigelow, 1995), The Man Who Wasn't There (Coen, 2001), Femme Fatale (De Palma, 2002).
Thanks given by:
The Great Owl (Today), Widescreenfilmguy (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM   #14582
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2014

I finally received Fright Night, it is my first Twilight Time purchase and I must say I'm disappointed with the packaging (I haven't opened it up yet). One corner of the cover is slightly bent in, the cover art is not high res and not sharp. The picture (especially on the back) is very grainy. May be for the price I paid, I had very high expectations for a Limited Edition release. I Know the following was not mentioned but I what would have added prestige is a small Holographic watermark on the cover with # of 3000 (# is a unique number), I much higher resolution of the cover art, and maybe even a slip cover. All of this would make it special and harder for people to bootleg. Unfortunately, as it stands, it looks more like a product that belongs in Best Buy's 2 for $9.99 sale.
New is always bad! Never not be afraid - Grug Crood
Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM   #14583
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page14 View Post
I picked up Bite the Bullet last year when TT had their one and only sale (so far). I finally got around to watching it over this past weekend, and am glad I did! It was much better than I expected it would be. Beautiful western scenery (A+ Picture Quality), great acting, lots of horseback riding, wonderful score ... it all worked (for me). I did have a little bit of trouble with following the plot at times ... and keeping track of some of the characters ... but that could have been my own personal problem more than the movie's problem. Either way, it was easy for me to overlook with so many other things that were right about the movie. Very happy to have this one in my collection!
Ha, I picked this up last year during the sale too. I gotta find time to watch it!
Thanks given by:
Page14 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM   #14584
Special Member

Feb 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbloggs View Post
... what would have added prestige is a small Holographic watermark on the cover with # of 3000 (# is a unique number), I much higher resolution of the cover art, and maybe even a slip cover...
People here obsess about the meaningless and irrelevant. Slipcovers, magnets, cover art, numbers and holograms appeal to people who like bright shiny objects.

The only purpose served by packaging is to protect the disc and make it easy to find on a shelf.

The movie is terrific, the disc is excellent. If I want to see bling associated with the Blu-ray, then I'll hang Christmas ornaments on my TV.
Thanks given by:
atfree (Yesterday), balthazar_bee (Yesterday), BluBonnet (Yesterday), JackKnightStarman (Yesterday), jws (Today), mbarto (Yesterday), rkolinski (Yesterday), spargs (Yesterday), StingingVelvet (Today), thegrunter (Today), Widescreenfilmguy (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM   #14585

Jan 2011
South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post
People here obsess about the meaningless and irrelevant. Slipcovers, magnets, cover art, numbers and holograms appeal to people who like bright shiny objects.

The only purpose served by packaging is to protect the disc and make it easy to find on a shelf.

The movie is terrific, the disc is excellent. If I want to see bling associated with the Blu-ray, then I'll hang Christmas ornaments on my TV.
EXACTLY....I've said it before and will say it again...give me a great transfer in a good case with good artwork.....all I need. The "bling" is nothing to me....just more crap for relatives to have to sort through later on and end up in a landfill....or end up on A&E on an episode of "Hoarders".
Thanks given by:
thegrunter (Today)
Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM   #14586

Jan 2015
Wolcott, CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spargs View Post
With all the talk yesterday in the Criterion thread about Gene Tierney, I realized that the only film of hers that I own on Blu was Laura. So, this morning I ordered (blind buy) TT's Leave Her to Heaven. I believe I passed on the title originally because of the Douglas Sirk comparison in the first sentence of the site's review, as I'm just simply not a fan of Sirk's films. However, yesterday's comments from Great Owl and others made me go back and actually read the full review, and realize that I almost missed out on a solid noir.
It's a solid transfer and a great cast, I like to think of it as my favorite Technicolor Film Noir... Gene is amazing in it as well!
Thanks given by:
spargs (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM   #14587
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2014

Quote:

As a collector (sort of) it does matter but at least we do agree then that it's nothing special.
New is always bad! Never not be afraid - Grug Crood
Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM   #14588
Power Member

Oct 2009

Quote:
Agree 100%

Also, it should be obvious that there is A LOT OF MONEY to be made by catering to people who like bright, shiny objects - at least the ones who have the disposable income.

It's a marketer's dream - add a bright, shiny thing to any boring object, and your're guaranteed the $$$$ from the obsessive collector's market.
Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM   #14589
Expert Member

Oct 2009

All I care about is what the transfer looks like when I fire up my projectors.

Having said that, if your into cover art etc I can understand where your coming from. If you enjoy that stuff more power to you.
Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM   #14590

Oct 2013
NE Ohio

I wonder if there would be a market for "The Land That Time Forgot" and "The People That Time Forgot" Blu-ray? Maybe a double feature? I have to admit they're a 70's guilty pleasure for me.
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM   #14591

Dec 2008
British Columbia,Canada

I just watched "Sexy Beast" for the first time last night....Wow...Great Movie!
Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM   #14592
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by tama View Post
I've noticed the recent batch of new TT releases have yet to be reviewed here on Blu-ray.com
Probably, Jeff just needs to catch up .
Thanks given by:
tama (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:41 PM   #14593

Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBonnet View Post
Agree 100%

Also, it should be obvious that there is A LOT OF MONEY to be made by catering to people who like bright, shiny objects - at least the ones who have the disposable income.

It's a marketer's dream - add a bright, shiny thing to any boring object, and your're guaranteed the $$$$ from the obsessive collector's market.
Seeing as how they've sold out their 3,000 and 5,000 run of these at 29.95, the only thing they could do by adding "bling" to the packaging would be lose money due to the extra packaging costs.
Old Today, 01:07 AM   #14594
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widescreenfilmguy View Post
Has anyone said if Journey will be a 3 or 5,000 pressing?
According to TT it will be a 3,000 pressing but I guess that's to be expected.

https://www.facebook.com/twilighttim...20393681312632
Thanks given by:
bruceames. (Today)
Old Today, 02:55 AM   #14595
Special Member

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
According to TT it will be a 3,000 pressing but I guess that's to be expected.

https://www.facebook.com/twilighttim...20393681312632
I was half expecting it to be 5000, since the other two re-releases were, but I guess it's because it's not a horror movie.

It will be interesting to see if that amps up demand at the front end. Would like to see them reduce the initial buying limit to 2 or even 1 this time, especially since it's only 3000.
Old Today, 03:26 AM   #14596
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:

Yeah, it's a constant annoyance on this forum that so many seem to care more about packaging than the disc. I prefer a good cover image over a crappy photoshop nightmare, but other than that all I care about is the disc itself.
Old Today, 03:31 AM   #14597

Aug 2013
Michigan, USA

Cool packaging is cool packaging. I don't think anyone prefers a slipcover or a steelbook to the actual film.
Old Today, 03:45 AM   #14598
Special Member

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Yeah, it's a constant annoyance on this forum that so many seem to care more about packaging than the disc. I prefer a good cover image over a crappy photoshop nightmare, but other than that all I care about is the disc itself.
I always prefer deluxe packaging, but it is just icing on the cake. I'm kinda torn about it because more packaging means it takes up more room on my shelf. Don't be annoyed though at those who obsess about packaging (which BTW doesn't mean they care about the movie or disc any less than anybody else. It just means they care about the packaging more.) They help drive sales and that's always a good thing.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors