Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Of Human Bondage (Blu-ray)
$14.78
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-25-2013, 01:16 AM   #241
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strevlac View Post
I have seen both and I agree the Universal BD is better, but not much better and where in the world did you hear it's a 4K transfer? I'll just come out and say it, I think you just made that part up.
My understanding is that Criterion only releases what Universal provides and does additional work on them. I'm studying these caps pretty closely and I don't see a difference beyond the color timing, and I'm inclined to think the washed-out look of the theatrical cut (since this is a cold, clinical world) is closer to what Gilliam intended.
DVDTalk Blu-Ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-Rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | Letterboxd | e-mail me | Twitter
Old 01-25-2013, 02:05 AM   #242
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post
The Criterion box states "Restored HD digital transfer of Gilliam's 142-m cut, approved by Gilliam..."
Does it mean he approved the new transfer, or the cut? I'm guessing it's the former. Those Criterion screenshots look pretty bad compared to the Uni, but I haven't opened the Criterion box yet to actually watch it.
In English, it means that he approved the new transfer, but ... ... why parse English?
Old 03-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #243
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

$19.99 (60% off!) at Amazon today only
Old 03-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #244

Jun 2012

Yep, this has been sitting in my wish list for a while and then I saw the sale. YOINK!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #245
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Tampa, FL

Finally watching the infamous "Love Conquers All" cut. My God, it's horrible.
Top 10 Favorite Films: 1) The Truman Show, 2) 12 Angry Men, 3) Jackie Brown, 4) 25th Hour, 5) Princess Mononoke, 6) The Godfather,
7) Pulp Fiction, 8) Back to the Future, 9) Blade Runner, 10) The Lord of the Rings

"If my answers frighten you Vincent, then you should cease asking scary questions." - Jules Winnfield

Old 03-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #246
Expert Member

May 2011
On the edge

I watched this and couldn't get into it. Will someone please explain to me what this movie is about? lol
Bassaholic's FT/FS thread

slipcover most wanted - Memento (CN lenticular), Babel AA gold, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button AA gold
Old 03-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #247
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassaholic View Post
I watched this and couldn't get into it. Will someone please explain to me what this movie is about? lol
Ducts!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #248

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Ducts!
*Like button
Favorite Movie: There Will Be Blood
Last Movie Viewed: American Hustle 6/10
Old 03-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #249
Special Member

Jan 2008
Covington, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassaholic View Post
I do so love when people ask questions like this; it represents a fundamental flaw in the way these people watch movies.

While you're watching the movie (assuming you're even paying attention, which I would not take for granted), think about your reaction to any given moment. When the family is sitting there quietly and then the police come crashing in through the ceiling and windows, zip the father up, and then the man dryly reads the charges and hands out receipts after the obvious chaos they just caused to the poor family; what are you thinking about, what's your emotional reaction at that moment?

You can't possibly expect to understand a movie as a whole if you don't bother understanding it moment to moment while you're actually watching it.
I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
Old 03-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #250
Expert Member

May 2011
On the edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Ducts!
lol!, I got that part,.....the rest not so much. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintx View Post
I do so love when people ask questions like this; it represents a fundamental flaw in the way these people watch movies.

While you're watching the movie (assuming you're even paying attention, which I would not take for granted), think about your reaction to any given moment. When the family is sitting there quietly and then the police come crashing in through the ceiling and windows, zip the father up, and then the man dryly reads the charges and hands out receipts after the obvious chaos they just caused to the poor family; what are you thinking about, what's your emotional reaction at that moment?

You can't possibly expect to understand a movie as a whole if you don't bother understanding it moment to moment while you're actually watching it.
These people? Who you callin, these people? ha!
Bassaholic's FT/FS thread

slipcover most wanted - Memento (CN lenticular), Babel AA gold, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button AA gold

Last edited by Bassaholic; 03-22-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #251
Power Member

Feb 2012
Pittsburgh

For $19.99, I couldn't resist. I have a question though: I've only seen the director's cut of Brazil from the Criterion DVD, so what is the difference between the theatrical and director's cuts?
Old 03-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #252
Special Member

Jan 2008
Covington, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman15317 View Post
For $19.99, I couldn't resist. I have a question though: I've only seen the director's cut of Brazil from the Criterion DVD, so what is the difference between the theatrical and director's cuts?
There's really only the director's cut; the TV version is a studio hatchet job that should only ever be viewed as a textbook example of how to ruin a work of art.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:24 AM   #253
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Quote:
There's really only the director's cut; the TV version is a studio hatchet job that should only ever be viewed as a textbook example of how to ruin a work of art.
Um...no. There's also the theatrical cut, which runs about 132 minutes, and is the cut that got the initial critical praise back in 1985 (deservedly so). You can get that on blu-ray, too, courtesy of Universal. This is NOT the "love conquers all" abomination that was recut for TV.

I prefer the theatrical cut to the extended Criterion/Director's cut.

Last edited by benricci; 03-23-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:25 AM   #254

Jan 2010

Quote:

False.

It's an example of how the art of editing can fundamentally change a film.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #255
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
As mentioned, above, there is the US theatrical release, and Gilliam cooperated with its editing. He also edited a European cut, which is or is close to Criterion's so-called "Director's Cut." Both are available on Blu-ray: Universal in the US and a Fox, region-free, european cut from the UK, France and others.

Gilliam didn't have much to do with edited-for-tv cut, also known as the "love conquers all" cut, which Criterion includes with their release. Well! He may have told the studio to get lost when they asked for his help. Most people know that cut-for-tv movies aren't all there, so I'd say Criterion's inclusion of that cut is just filler material. I wasn't interested in watching it.

The most interesting cut would be the one he showed the LA Film Critics, whose praise got the studio to release the film. As far as I know, it has never been released on home video.

A lot of the controversy over this film was due to Gilliam's failure to live-up to his contractual obligation to deliver something with a shorter runtime than the film he tried to deliver.

Last edited by joie; 03-23-2013 at 03:04 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-23-2013, 03:01 AM   #256
Special Member

Jan 2008
Covington, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by benricci View Post
Um...no. There's also the theatrical cut, which runs about 132 minutes, and is the cut that got the initial critical praise back in 1985 (deservedly so). You can get that on blu-ray, too, courtesy of Universal. This is NOT the "love conquers all" abomination that was recut for TV.

I prefer the theatrical cut to the extended Criterion/Director's cut.
True, but since Starman said "only $19.99," I assumed they were referring to the Criterion disc which only contains the Director and Love cuts; if Starman got the Universal disc for $19.99, they got ripped off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by popeflick View Post
False.

It's an example of how the art of editing can fundamentally change a film.
And in this case, fundamentally changes it in a way that completely goes against what the movie was really about.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America