Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99
18 hrs ago
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99
1 hr ago
Spartacus: War of the Damned - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
2 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
16 hrs ago
Inside Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99
8 hrs ago
A Good Day to Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99
19 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
6 hrs ago
Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Bourne Ultimatum (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #721

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqmilymi View Post
So I'm confused. Michael Reuben's August 2013 review said, "The consensus among those familiar with Warner's prior Blu-ray of The Fugitive seems to be that the same transfer has been used for this 1080p, AVC-encoded 20th Anniversary version." He gave the video transfer 4 stars. However, Martin Liebman's review of the prior Blu-ray said "Warner Brothers presents The Fugitive on Blu-ray in a high-definition, MPEG-2 encoded, 1.85:1 framed transfer that's mostly abysmal." He gave it 2 stars.

So is the 20th anniversary edition an improvement or not in terms of video quality?
I was confused as well but I believe Mr. Reuben is incorrect. Glancing at the screenshots, the only one that shows the same shot is of Ford running from the train and you can clearly tell the old version is washed out color-wise compared to the re-release. Doesn't seem like the exact same transfer to me but I don't have the original Blu to compare.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #722
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
So I'm confused. Michael Reuben's August 2013 review said, "The consensus among those familiar with Warner's prior Blu-ray of The Fugitive seems to be that the same transfer has been used for this 1080p, AVC-encoded 20th Anniversary version." He gave the video transfer 4 stars. However, Martin Liebman's review of the prior Blu-ray said "Warner Brothers presents The Fugitive on Blu-ray in a high-definition, MPEG-2 encoded, 1.85:1 framed transfer that's mostly abysmal." He gave it 2 stars.

So is the 20th anniversary edition an improvement or not in terms of video quality?
a big improvement over the original ones. no jaggies, smoother picture, more detail, it trumps it hands down
Old 08-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #723
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:

Like Worm said : "a big improvement". Not only has all video transfer equipment gotten better over time, so has the experience of industry tecnicians. And you might've noted that the video codec used improved from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 AVC. In addition, the sound went from lossy to lossless (Dolby Digital 5.1 to DTS-HD MA 5.1. So, all around better presentation, just not a new transfer.
Epictetus : "A man should ... be prepared to be sufficient unto himself ..."
Memphis : But far more fortunate are those who are lucky enough to be loved.

Remember, folks : it's only 5 days - and the deals are rolling now - until Black Friday!!!

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #724
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

It's not a full blown 4k remaster, which would be nice, but it's an improved encode of the old master. I would expect the same from Warner's other coming re-releases like Gremlins and Interview with a Vampire.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #725
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
It's not a full blown 4k remaster, which would be nice, but it's an improved encode of the old master. I would expect the same from Warner's other coming re-releases like Gremlins and Interview with a Vampire.
I wouldn't expect that. They advertised The Fugitive as being newly remastered, they haven't with those other movies. Interview wil get an audio upgrade at least. Gremlins could possibly switch from VC-1 to AVC but I don't see them actually remastering it. I'd love to be wrong on that though.

Last edited by MifuneFan; 08-28-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:22 PM   #726
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Also, I remember someone saying the original, dreadful Fugitive BD, though obviously presented in 1080p on the disc, was not from a native 1080p source. It certainly looked it, VERY pixely, not much better than a DVD.

Last edited by James Luckard; 08-29-2014 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #727
Power Member

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
Also, I remember someone saying the original, dreadful Fugitive BD, thoguh obviously presented in 1080p on the disc, was not from a native 1080p source. It certainly looked it, VERY pixely, not much better than a DVD.
The original was from a 1440x1080i source, which Warner enlarged to 1920x1080 very poorly.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:44 PM   #728

May 2011
United States of America

You mean they just took it from a 4:3 source and cropped the black bars off. What the hell were they thinking? Were they crazy or something?
Look, Dr. Lesh, we don't care about the disturbances, the pounding and the flashing, the screaming, the music. We just want you to find our little girl.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:53 PM   #729
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
So, all around better presentation, just not a new transfer.
Quote:
It's not a full blown 4k remaster, which would be nice, but it's an improved encode of the old master.
It's definitely a new scan of some 35mm source, not simply a new encode of an old video master. The framing is clearly different as you can see here.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:54 PM   #730
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Freeling View Post
You mean they just took it from a 4:3 source and cropped the black bars off. What the hell were they thinking? Were they crazy or something?
No, the old 1440 x 1080i video format had non-square pixels, so it was still 16:9.
Thanks given by:
Steve Freeling (09-07-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 11:00 PM   #731
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Freeling View Post
Thanks given by:
UseY0ur1llusi0n (09-01-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 11:08 PM   #732

May 2011
United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post
No, the old 1440 x 1080i video format had non-square pixels, so it was still 16:9.
Okay. Thanks for explaining that. All I knew was 1440 x 1080 = 4:3. I guess I don't know jacks--- about that stuff.
Look, Dr. Lesh, we don't care about the disturbances, the pounding and the flashing, the screaming, the music. We just want you to find our little girl.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:04 AM   #733
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Yes, the original Fugitive BD (along with the original BD's for Lethal Weapon 2 and Enter the Dragon) was not true 1080p, and the limited resolution created stationary "columns" in the image, through which the action moved, creating horrible jagged artifacts, particularly on diagonal planes. The new Fugitive BD is indeed a completely new master, and a much-needed improvement.

If indeed "the consensus among those familiar with Warner's prior Blu-ray of The Fugitive" is that it shares the same transfer (or even a variation of the same transfer) as the 20th Anniversary Edition, then that consensus is completely wrong.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:24 PM   #734
Expert Member

Dec 2007
Maryland

Thanks to everyone for providing some clarification. I really appreciate it.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #735
Blu-ray reviewer

May 2011
New York City
-

Quote:
So I'm confused. Michael Reuben's August 2013 review said, "The consensus among those familiar with Warner's prior Blu-ray of The Fugitive seems to be that the same transfer has been used for this 1080p, AVC-encoded 20th Anniversary version." He gave the video transfer 4 stars.
No, I gave the video presentation 4 stars. A so-called "transfer" -- which is apparently a term I will have to stop using in reviews -- is only one element of what goes into the image that eventually makes it to your display screen. A lot of things have to happen to a "transfer" (more, accurately, a data harvest) before it can become a Blu-ray. Especially these days, where so many "transfers" begin with original camera negatives, the data captured from those scans doesn't even have accurate color information, because color timing isn't done on the OCN.

If the posts above demonstrate anything, it's that people frequently can't agree on whether a remastered Blu-ray does or does not come from a new "transfer". You can find the same disagreement in almost every thread about a remastered disc.

With the 20th Ann. Fugitive, however, there is almost no disagreement that the disc is a huge improvement, whatever the cause.
I tried to imagine a fella smarter than myself. Then I tried to think, "what would he do?" Joe Moore, Heist
Thanks given by:
Darth Marcus (11-19-2014), Early Memphis (08-30-2014), frogmort (09-07-2014), Geoff D (09-07-2014), solovoyager (11-19-2014), StingingVelvet (08-30-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #736
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010
Knoxville,TN

Check out the difference between the old and new version in this comparison:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...=390#vergleich

Look at the edge of his pants and the small trees in front of the water. On the old version there are terrible jaggies and a glowing halo from edge enhancement that are completely missing from the new version.
Joe
Thanks given by:
StingingVelvet (09-07-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 02:06 AM   #737

May 2013

I was hoping we would get the new one for 7.99 or about there but they keep selling that old junk for 6.50. Dear god.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #738
Expert Member

Jan 2009
Bury U.K

Just watched this last night and it's a massive improvement over the original release,in terms of both picture and sound.

It's great to see a such a great movie get a release it deserves.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America