Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$100.81
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #381

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Even if it were just 720p, that doesn't mean it's an upscale. The majority of HDTV broadcasts are 720p, but the movies they broadcast in 720p aren't upscales.
If it was scanned at 720p and broadcast at 720p it wouldn't be an upscale, but the Phantasm II blu ray is "an AVC encoded 1080p transfer" according to the blu-ray.com review, so if it was scanned at 720p (and that's just Oblivion138's guess, we don't know) it would have to be an upscale.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #382
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 View Post
An upscale with terminally blown-out highlights blew your mind?????
I can easily tell the different between an upscaled DVD and a native 1080p blu-ray / HD-DVD picture.

Last edited by slimdude; 08-16-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #383

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
I can easily tell the different between an upscaled DVD and a native 1080p blu-ray / HD-DVD picture.
Have a look at the comparison Kentai posted between the blu ray and the UK dvd, though...aside from differences in color and maybe a little less "ringing" on the blu ray image (I think I see some ringing around the sunglasses in the DVD version for instance), there's not really any apparent difference in level of fine detail. Of course, that might just be because the original film image was a bit soft.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #384
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosifl View Post
Have a look at the comparison Kentai posted between the blu ray and the UK dvd, though...aside from differences in color and maybe a little less "ringing" on the blu ray image (I think I see some ringing around the sunglasses in the DVD version for instance), there's not really any apparent difference in level of fine detail. Of course, that might just be because the original film image was a bit soft.
It is no better in motion either, I am more than happy to wait for a better release.
"I'm going to destroy them." - John 'Breacher' Wharton - Sabotage (2014)
Old 08-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #385

Sep 2009

I have a love/hate relationship with sequels that pick up exactly where the previous one leaves off. I love it from the sequel perspective to preserve story continuity however it can make the previous entry not feel complete or even worse, change your experience with it in the future. I think Phantasm II and III is a good example of this. I'm a big fan of II (mostly for nostalgic purposes) and I just recently saw the beginning of III. I will say that any future viewings of II will be changed forever knowing that
[Show spoiler]the blonde gets her face eaten off and then decapitated
just minutes after II ends. Oh well, I still love the style of the film!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #386
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
So then, you know this is an upscale.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:47 AM   #387
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Even if it were just 720p, that doesn't mean it's an upscale. The majority of HDTV broadcasts are 720p, but the movies they broadcast in 720p aren't upscales.
If we're talking about scripted films and TV shows, most of those 720p broadcasts are down-conversions of 1080p masters. All the hardware involved in a modern workflow can handle 1080p, minimum, so all the 720p/1080i masters broadcasters get are conversions from a higher quality HD source.

If a Blu-ray were made from a 720p HDTV master, than yes, that would be an upscale. Still an HD source, but not the promised 1080 lines of vertical resolution.

Here's some food for thought: A decent percentage of the "deep catalog" masters you'll see coming out on Blu-ray without any new transfers being made are going to likely be pulled from HDCAM tapes. Newer HDCAM SR tech is full bore 1920x1080p with either 4:2:2 chroma subsampling, or 4:4:4 RGB color (ie: "deeper color" than Blu-ray even supports). HDCAM, however, was 1440x1080p with 3:1:1 chroma compression, which means the color resolution is worse than Blu-ray's current implementation. Is a Blu-ray pulled from an old HDCAM master an "upscale", despite the format technically delivering 1080 vertical lines of resolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 View Post
So then, you know this is an upscale.
Frustrates me as it does to say this, it's not an upscale. It's just a crumby Universal catalog master that looks roughly equal to a proper SD master. Just like RE-ANIMATOR, it's a 1080p master with such heavy digital processing that any high-frequency resolution isn't really visible anymore. I can't wait for that new German 4K restoration to finally put to rest that cheap 30 year old movies can't look better, because there's no reason a studio-backed Don frickin' Coscarelli film shouldn't look at least as good as MY BLOODY VALENTINE, NIGHT OF THE CREEPS, ALIEN 2: ON EARTH, HALLOWEEN 5, or another half-dozen lower-budget genre BDs we've seen.

Is the PHANTASM II transfer good? Hell no. Is it probably a legit, if low quality, HD source? For better or worse, yes, even if the real-world improvement over an old PAL Digibeta is basically negligible.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #388
Expert Member

Aug 2012
Lincoln, NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentai View Post
If we're talking about scripted films and TV shows, most of those 720p broadcasts are down-conversions of 1080p masters. All the hardware involved in a modern workflow can handle 1080p, minimum, so all the 720p/1080i masters broadcasters get are conversions from a higher quality HD source.

If a Blu-ray were made from a 720p HDTV master, than yes, that would be an upscale. Still an HD source, but not the promised 1080 lines of vertical resolution.

Here's some food for thought: A decent percentage of the "deep catalog" masters you'll see coming out on Blu-ray without any new transfers being made are going to likely be pulled from HDCAM tapes. Newer HDCAM SR tech is full bore 1920x1080p with either 4:2:2 chroma subsampling, or 4:4:4 RGB color (ie: "deeper color" than Blu-ray even supports). HDCAM, however, was 1440x1080p with 3:1:1 chroma compression, which means the color resolution is worse than Blu-ray's current implementation. Is a Blu-ray pulled from an old HDCAM master an "upscale", despite the format technically delivering 1080 vertical lines of resolution?

Frustrates me as it does to say this, it's not an upscale. It's just a crumby Universal catalog master that looks roughly equal to a proper SD master. Just like RE-ANIMATOR, it's a 1080p master with such heavy digital processing that any high-frequency resolution isn't really visible anymore. I can't wait for that new German 4K restoration to finally put to rest that cheap 30 year old movies can't look better, because there's no reason a studio-backed Don frickin' Coscarelli film shouldn't look at least as good as MY BLOODY VALENTINE, NIGHT OF THE CREEPS, ALIEN 2: ON EARTH, HALLOWEEN 5, or another half-dozen lower-budget genre BDs we've seen.

Is the PHANTASM II transfer good? Hell no. Is it probably a legit, if low quality, HD source? For better or worse, yes, even if the real-world improvement over an old PAL Digibeta is basically negligible.
I don't know if any of that is true as it relates to Phantasm II or not, but that was a damn fine post. Very interesting and well written. Thanks for that!
Old 08-17-2013, 03:13 AM   #389
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentai View Post
I personally consider transfers from HDCAM tapes to be slight upscales on Blu-ray. Many of the exclusive Canadian Blu-rays were likely sourced this way.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #390
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2013

When are they releasing the first one?
TV: Panasonic TC-P42S60
PSN ID: beatlemania63
Minnesota Vikings Fan
UV Codes For Sale!!
"If thatís true, if you donít know who I am, then maybe your best courseÖ would be to tread lightly."
Old 09-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #391

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw89 View Post
The first one is owned by Anchor Bay so who knows if we'll ever see it on Blu !
Old 09-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #392
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Not until Anchor Bay's rights expire (and it has been rumored that they have) and another studio picks it up.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:48 AM   #393
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2013

Ahh okay, I have never seen the any of them and I ordered the 2nd one, will I be able to understand it?
TV: Panasonic TC-P42S60
PSN ID: beatlemania63
Minnesota Vikings Fan
UV Codes For Sale!!
"If thatís true, if you donít know who I am, then maybe your best courseÖ would be to tread lightly."
Old 09-26-2013, 01:20 AM   #394
Power Member

Feb 2012
Pittsburgh

Quote:
Ahh okay, I have never seen the any of them and I ordered the 2nd one, will I be able to understand it?
I would watch the first one first.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:26 AM   #395
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
Illinois

Quote:
I would probably try to see the first one somehow before watching the second one.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #396
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Germany

I want to own all 4 films so badly. But the only option is DVD (I hate the heavy red tint of the shout release). Anyone know if they will be released on Blu-ray anytime soon? I'd hate to buy the DVDs now and find out a few months later, that the blu-rays are coming.
"What, in life, does not deserve celebrating?" - Ozymandias
Old 04-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #397
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner2007 View Post
I want to own all 4 films so badly. But the only option is DVD (I hate the heavy red tint of the shout release). Anyone know if they will be released on Blu-ray anytime soon? I'd hate to buy the DVDs now and find out a few months later, that the blu-rays are coming.

It's up to Anchor Bay to release the first, 3rd and 4th films as they apparently still have the rights. It also appears that AB will distribute the 5th film - I spotted a new 'Bay logo before the teaser. Hopefully they come to their senses and finally release all 4 films when the 5th one comes out.
Arrow Demons/Demons 2 steelbook F/S.
The Swimmer DVD F/S
Old 04-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #398

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner2007 View Post
According to what I have read, the Anchor Bay 5 DVD Region B box set has the best transfers available of the Phantasm films, as well as some great special features:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=339

I have all region capability, so I recently went ahead and grabbed a great deal on this seat for $29 USD including shipping. I know we all want blu ray, but I went for this just in case we don't get them for a while:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phantasm-DVD...rds=phantasm+5
Old 04-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #399
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

^
Too bad the sphere version is now OOP (but still available from third-party sellers).
Old 04-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #400
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
^
Too bad the sphere version is now OOP (but still available from third-party sellers).
That Set is very cool, it is a lot bigger then I thought it would be lol, really a nice Set.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America