Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The X-Files: Event Series (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Blu-ray)
$14.99
London Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The New World (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Conan the Barbarian 3D (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Huntsman: Winter's War (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Emelie (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Jungle Book (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Choice (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ip Man Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-03-2015, 06:56 PM   #2161

May 2010

A priced down version of Japanese Season 4 hits BD next week if anyone wants to own Face Of The Enemy.

https://www.amazon.c...v_1446552878984
Old 11-03-2015, 07:33 PM   #2162
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2010

Battlestar Gal S4 Amazon JP

See how long this link lasts before the forum automation botches it -- bottom line is around $38USD shipped with the Amazon Converter (36.50 with a Forex Free CC checking out in yen).

Interesting, but when the full series is often less than $40 during the usual Holiday sales I'm not sure I'm that big a fan for at most 40 minutes of ??Definition material (some of it very good) -- I think this was all SD.

or cut/paste/remove parentheses just in case
www(.)amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0142J2LIS
Thanks given by:
glennstl (12-23-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 06:13 AM   #2163
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
California, USA

Just a question, but does anyone know where to view the "enhanced" webisode versions of The Face of the Enemy? Or where to access the podcasts Jane Espenson recorded for them?

It seems the the JP set didn't include the podcasts, and it's not available on the SyFy website anymore since their revamp. Youtube only has the enhanced versions of episodes 1-5, but 6 and 8 (the only other enhanced ones left on youtube) are blocked in the US.

It's so annoying the SyFy scrubbed almost all traces of the BSG podcast commentaries.
1st Blu-Ray: (500) Days of Summer
100th Blu-Ray: Deadwood: The Complete Series
200th Blu-Ray: Girls' Generation ~Love & Peace~ Japan 3rd Tour
Old 03-02-2016, 09:53 AM   #2164

Feb 2012

This has to be one of the most bizarre and frustrating series to try out my new tv on. With the different filters, clarity, and lighting this was a exercise in pain trying to calibrate my set to. Who would do such a thing to themselves? The scenes in space flying look great. Crystal clear, and stunning. The shots on some planets grainy and gross. Its quite a cluster frack.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #2165
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanamberg View Post
This has to be one of the most bizarre and frustrating series to try out my new tv on. With the different filters, clarity, and lighting this was a exercise in pain trying to calibrate my set to. Who would do such a thing to themselves? The scenes in space flying look great. Crystal clear, and stunning. The shots on some planets grainy and gross. Its quite a cluster frack.
Well, this may be a bit "out there" with my thinking, but why not use a title more conducive to what you're trying to achieve? Why use a television show from the 1970's?
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed..."

Films by spine:
http://www.criterion.com/my_criterio...?sort_by=spine

My Criterion profile:
http://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/36842-david
Old 03-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #2166
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy12 View Post
Well, this may be a bit "out there" with my thinking, but why not use a title more conducive to what you're trying to achieve? Why use a television show from the 1970's?
They didn't specify which BSG they were using though the thread originated about the New Series.

The new series had a very intentional grainy/rough style though that many people have complained about and it was never meant to be crystal clear. Trying to use either series for serious Picture evaluation/calibration would likely be impossible.

My assumption was they were using the New Series until the "down on the planets" comment which fits better with the original than the new series which spent the large majority of the time on the ship. At that point I wasn't sure which series they were using.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:53 PM   #2167

Mar 2010
Room 303, The Heart o' the City Hotel
Send a message via AIM to Lionel Horsepackage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
They didn't specify which BSG they were using though the thread originated about the New Series.

The new series had a very intentional grainy/rough style though that many people have complained about and it was never meant to be crystal clear. Trying to use either series for serious Picture evaluation/calibration would likely be impossible.
This is the reason behind the disclaimer that plays whenever you load up one of the BSG Blu-Rays ("This visual look accurately represents the intentions of the producers," etc.) -- essentially, the show was shot digitally on HD, then artificially "up-grained" on purpose in post-production to obtain the documentary-style look that you see on the show.
"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."
Old 03-02-2016, 07:03 PM   #2168
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Horsepackage View Post
This is the reason behind the disclaimer that plays whenever you load up one of the BSG Blu-Rays ("This visual look accurately represents the intentions of the producers," etc.) -- essentially, the show was shot digitally on HD, then artificially "up-grained" on purpose in post-production to obtain the documentary-style look that you see on the show.
Yes. I think they did 'improve/decrease' this upgraining as the series was released, but it was quite variable depending of the situation. The scenes inside the Cylon Base ship were much more pristine HD.

I actually liked the whole idea as a visual style representing the dire situation.

The shaky cam stuff honestly I could have done without most of it. Kind of like JJ Abrams lens flares that got to the point that it became a joke and irritant more than a style that benefited the story. A little bit goes a very long way.
Thanks given by:
billyearle (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 04:49 AM   #2169
Expert Member

Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan

In the season 2 episode where Starbuck goes back to her apartment and puts on a piano recording, Helo says something like "This doesn't seem like you." and she says "It's my father('s?).". I took it to mean it was from her father's "record" collection, but some have said it means her father was a pianist, or even the composer. It seems to be a natural ambiguity of the English language. Has Moore or anyone ever addressed this?
I thought I had a pretty extensive Philip Glass collection, but until I checked on the web, I had assumed it was just Bear McCreary in the style of Glass again. Turns out the piece is Metamorphosis One from the Glass album Solo Piano (an album I thought I had, but turned out I had a couple of his other piano albums instead). It made me wonder, are any of the other pieces in the show actually Phillip Glass? A number of times it seems like McCreary modelling his music after a Glass temp track (there's a battle scene in season 2 that sounds straight out of the Mishima soundtrack), but it gets hard to tell sometimes.
Lex Luthor: Miss Teschmacher, some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.Miss Teschmacher: Lex, what has chewing gum got to do with the secrets of the universe?Lex Luthor: [sighs] Right, Miss Teschmacher. Right.
Thanks given by:
SpaceMind (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 05:57 AM   #2170

Jan 2008
Salt Lake City, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyearle View Post
In the season 2 episode where Starbuck goes back to her apartment and puts on a piano recording, Helo says something like "This doesn't seem like you." and she says "It's my father('s?).". I took it to mean it was from her father's "record" collection, but some have said it means her father was a pianist, or even the composer. It seems to be a natural ambiguity of the English language. Has Moore or anyone ever addressed this?
I thought I had a pretty extensive Philip Glass collection, but until I checked on the web, I had assumed it was just Bear McCreary in the style of Glass again. Turns out the piece is Metamorphosis One from the Glass album Solo Piano (an album I thought I had, but turned out I had a couple of his other piano albums instead). It made me wonder, are any of the other pieces in the show actually Phillip Glass? A number of times it seems like McCreary modelling his music after a Glass temp track (there's a battle scene in season 2 that sounds straight out of the Mishima soundtrack), but it gets hard to tell sometimes.
Have you watched the rest of the series? This is the only time Phillip Glass is used. And yes, she meant it was her father, Deirlide Thrace, performing the music. Later in the series all the Deirlide Thrace music is original Bear McCreary compositions.
Endurance Theatre
VIZIO M801i-A3 80-Inch | Sony BDP-S5500 | Yamaha RX-A2050 | Roku 4
Thanks given by:
billyearle (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #2171
Expert Member

Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMind View Post
Have you watched the rest of the series? This is the only time Phillip Glass is used. And yes, she meant it was her father, Deirlide Thrace, performing the music. Later in the series all the Deirlide Thrace music is original Bear McCreary compositions.
Thanks for clearing up the Starbuck's dad question, though, is it made clear he is supposed to be a composer, or just pianist?...After nearly 10 years I just started rewatching the series on blu-ray, so I had forgotten a lot of things like that. (When the show was usually well over $100 I wasn't sure if I'd get to revisit it, and on Black Friday sales there'd be too many competing releases on sale at once...but just grabbed the UK BD set for around $45 shipped, really enjoying the show all over again.) Also made me break down and order all 6 volumes of soundtrack releases. I finally felt the music I liked outweighed all the stuff I didn't (ethnic wailing, bagpipes..).
But Moore says "a few times" he bought the temp music, so the question remains, apart from some obvious pop songs, and the Glass Metamorphosis, are any of the other tracks not original music by McCreary or Gibbs?
Lex Luthor: Miss Teschmacher, some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.Miss Teschmacher: Lex, what has chewing gum got to do with the secrets of the universe?Lex Luthor: [sighs] Right, Miss Teschmacher. Right.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:17 AM   #2172
Expert Member

Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
You're about to see the show plummet off a cliff of quality, unfortunately. It's still good though, just less good.
Know this is an old post, but you were talking about StarGate Atlantis, NOT Battlestar Galactica, right?
Just finished watching this series for the second time since it first came to DVDs. In spite of nitpicks, the show keeps getting better overall as it goes. Revisiting the show after 7 years or so was totally worthwhile, and I was overwhelmed by the last couple of hours. As I had seen it before, there were a few times during the series where I wanted to just get to the finish asap, but was sad all over again with the realization it's over.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:31 AM   #2173
Expert Member

Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan

Just read the extras review here to see what might be more worth viewing, as I skipped over some of the extras this time. Checking the U-control on the extended finale, but so far it looks like it just recaps stuff about the characters we already know, so I'm gonna bail. From the review, I thought it might give (probably non-canon) takes on what happened to the characters after the finale or something
[Show spoiler](like Tyrel was the first King of the Scotts),
but guess I was misreading that.
and new viewers, you gotta see Caprica after this! You'll need a player that converts PAL/NTSC or 50hz stuff, like multiregion Oppos if you wanna get the French BD at least.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:06 AM   #2174
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyearle View Post
Know this is an old post, but you were talking about StarGate Atlantis, NOT Battlestar Galactica, right?
Just finished watching this series for the second time since it first came to DVDs. In spite of nitpicks, the show keeps getting better overall as it goes. Revisiting the show after 7 years or so was totally worthwhile, and I was overwhelmed by the last couple of hours. As I had seen it before, there were a few times during the series where I wanted to just get to the finish asap, but was sad all over again with the realization it's over.
That's cool. Everyone's different. The general consensus is that BSG fell apart the last season or two, and I agree with that. You don't have to. The general consensus is that Man of Steel sucks and I love that movie. Everyone's unique.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:26 AM   #2175
Expert Member

Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan

Quote:
That's cool. Everyone's different. The general consensus is that BSG fell apart the last season or two, and I agree with that. You don't have to. The general consensus is that Man of Steel sucks and I love that movie. Everyone's unique.
Glad at least you're cool about it. But from the reviews I've read I never got the impression this was a consensus, as you're the first person I've heard that from. Obviously you're not alone, from what you say, but my guess is opinion must be divided. PS, I too thought Man of Steel was waaay better than the original "consensus" held.
I hope eventually you give the show another watch, as I suspect you might appreciate the
[Show spoiler]"mysterious"
elements that build to the conclusion more. I do think the show had it's ups n downs, but they seemed fairly inconsequential in the big scheme of the show
Old 04-25-2016, 12:58 PM   #2176
Expert Member

Dec 2011
Pearland, Texas

It's not the general consensus (check the reviews). The last two seasons and the finale were great.
"All of this hard work to make this (show) look beautiful... it's all for naught if you're gonna watch it on your iPhone. Watch it on the biggest, most properly-tuned television you can watch it on."

--Vince Gilligan
Thanks given by:
billyearle (04-26-2016), jvonl (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 01:59 PM   #2177

Jan 2011
Upstate New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post
It's not the general consensus (check the reviews). The last two seasons and the finale were great.
I agree. The show seemed to wander a bit (I think in Season 3), but I thoroughly enjoyed the last couple of seasons and the finale. I'm not sure where that "consensus" came from.
Thanks given by:
billyearle (04-26-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #2178

Mar 2008

Has anyone noticed that some discs (within the same season) are VC-1 encoded and some others are AVC encoded? Strange isn't it?
Old 04-25-2016, 09:15 PM   #2179
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post
I read a lot of sci-fi news sites, blogs, etc. and pretty much all of them trash the last season or two of BSG. Now, could this be a case where the squeaky wheels are insisting a thing sucks when the silent majority liked it? Definitely could be. It's always funny when you hear relentless "reporting" that a movie sucks and then you go to IMDB and it has a 7-something average (Man of Steel included). This could be one of those things. Who knows?

I don't actually hate the last season or so of BSG, I just found them not quite as entertaining as the first couple. Mostly because I dislike religious stuff in sci-fi and disliked the "final five" storyline.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:26 PM   #2180
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

Quote:
I read a lot of sci-fi news sites, blogs, etc. and pretty much all of them trash the last season or two of BSG.
That wasn't necessarily the consensus when it aired. It wasn't as consistent as it was, but it definitely wasn't widely trashed. Definitely not as much as the last couple seasons of Lost, at least.

You also have to keep in mind that by the third season, SciFi was mandating all of those dull standalone episodes that contributed to the decline. During season four, they had only filmed 11 episodes before the writer's strike and had prepared for Sometimes a Great Notion to act as the series finale in the event that the strike lasted longer than the three months it did (Moore claimed Revelations would have been, but Notion was filmed & completed); all of the actors had been officially suspended without pay. Once production resumed, the entire last half was rushed & rewritten. There are certainly some duds (here's looking at you, Deadlock), but also some of the most thrilling episodes (The Oath, Blood On the Scales, the finale) and one of my personal favorites (the extended cut of Islanded in a Stream of Stars).
If God exists, why isn't Mo'Nique one of the new Ghostbusters?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America